John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,346

Re: John Wall Appreciation Thread - Part III 

Post#381 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 9, 2016 2:20 pm

tontoz wrote:Neither Wall or Beal gives many shot fakes which is a key to getting to the foul line. When you get a guy off his feet he is helpless and it is easy to get a whistle.

Too often Wall barrels into traffic and forces up a bad shot hoping the refs will bail him out. He needs to watch tapes of Tony Parker who is a master at driving while staying under control.

I think Beal in particular could get much better by utilizing shot fakes because he's a 2-footed jumper. He could live at the line by coming to a jump stop, hesitating with a pump fake, and then jumping into a player. Wade does this all the time.

Wall is a slasher and a 1-footed jumper. If Wall is going to live at the line, he needs to do it the James Harden way. I'm not quite sure how Harden manages to draw so many fouls in the lane while never actually seeming to put his body at risk, but whatever he does, Wall should copy it.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#382 » by keynote » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:13 am

The Ringer put out a piece encouraging the Wizards to trade Wall.

https://theringer.com/trade-john-wall-washington-wizards-nba-fe510a974fa2#.khaqquixk

Plus, Wall’s trade value may never be higher: The 26-year-old is entering the third year of a five-year deal that looks like a steal: his $17 million per year comes in below the rates of players like Evan Fournier, Kent Bazemore, and Evan Turner. Every game that Wall plays brings him closer to a pay rate that will be closer to $30 million than $17 million.
In the current reality, the Wizards will likely ride out three more seasons in the bottom half of the playoff picture before Wall, who is rumored to be less than happy with the way things are going, bolts in 2019 and the rebuild begins shortly after anyway. Of all teams, the Wizards should know that if you don’t hit eject on a franchise player in time, there’s a decent chance that you (or Orlando) will come to regret it.
Granted, it’s not a zero-sum game, and this question has become an existential issue for all but the richest sports franchises: Is there a reason to win games if a title isn’t in the cards? Is it better to have Wall, Beal, and Porter and win 41 games than to be the Sixers? Each situation carries its own answer, but Washington has already been through the cycle of middling-to-good seasons multiple times and the franchise hasn’t legitimately competed for a title since the ’70s. Finding a way to build a contender should be the priority — even if it requires a few years without a rudder.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
bondom34
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 50,209

Post#383 » by bondom34 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:08 am

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/nba-cats/john-wall-declined-a-slam-magazine-cover-because-they-didnt-let-his-kentucky-teammates-join-him/?guid=DrvA9g_3EkuyZPvG2UteLA6tFEVrvBSR

He also touched on the time he tricked DeMarcus Cousins into thinking he was headed to NC State for his lone year of college basketball, a scene none of us want to imagine.
MyUniBroDavis wrote: he was like YALL PEOPLE WHO DOUBT ME WILL SEE YALLS STATS ARE WRONG I HAVE THE BIG BRAIN PLAYS MUCHO NASTY BIG BRAIN BIG CHUNGUS BRAIN YOU BOYS ON UR BBALL REFERENCE NO UNDERSTANDO
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#384 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:51 am

John Wall is quietly having a breakout season.

Over the past 2 seasons, he averaged about 19/10/5 per 36 with a TS% of .520, a 3P% of .330, and about 4.6 FTA's per game.

So far this season, he is averaging 26.5/9/4.5 per 36 with a TS% of .570, a 3P% of .430, and 7.5 FTA's per game. I figure he'll hit a slump at some point and that 3P% will drop down to .370 or so, but his scoring rate and efficiency might be sustainable due to an improved jumper and an improved aptitude of getting to the FT line.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#385 » by nate33 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:31 pm

Wall's numbers including last night's performance:

PER is up from 19.8 to 25.3
WS/48 is up from .098 to .149
TS% is up from .510 to .565
3P% is up from .351 to .438
USG% is up from 28.6 to 33.9
FTA/36 up from 4.4 to 7.5
PTS/36 up from 19.8 to 26.1
ORtg up from 102 to 109

His TO/36 is up, but that's due to the higher USG%. His TOV% is flat.

If Wall keeps up numbers like this, he's a top 10 player. I expect the 3P% to drop some, but hopefully, everything else is sustainable. He's not doing this solely by hitting more midrange shots (although he has improved his jumper). He's taking fewer shots from the perimeter and getting to the rim much more often.

(note these numbers don't include the Miami game)
SizzlinSimms
Junior
And1: 55

Post#386 » by SizzlinSimms » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:06 am

Wall is having an amazing season.

Too bad EG hates us.
Bernie
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#387 » by Bernie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:22 am

I'm not sure if anyone has posted it yet, but this is imho a very interesting article about Wall and Beal.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/rich-but-broke/

There are also a few quotes that give me some hope:
Wall's willingness to stake his value upon his defense already has been tested. In the team's first film session after its home-opening loss to the Raptors, Brooks pointed out several times where Wall either didn't sprint back on defense or failed to sit down in a defensive stance. He underscored it all by calling Wall the worst defender on the team "by far."

Wall's response?

"I'm like, ‘Damn, I do look like the worst defender. I can't say nothing back.' It's going to make me a better player and a better person."
ClutchDJ
Senior
And1: 252

Post#388 » by ClutchDJ » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:02 am

Even with those 2 stinkers vs Atlanta(opening night) & Phoenix, dude has been awesome so far. Easily his best year atm.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#389 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:13 am

ClutchDJ wrote:Even with those 2 stinkers vs Atlanta(opening night) & Phoenix, dude has been awesome so far. Easily his best year atm.

Yep. Been playing at another level entirely
In Rizzo we trust
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#390 » by WallToWall » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Wall has been good with distributing the ball. He has taken fewer ill-advised shots and is starting to use his body a bit more to draw fouls. Some of his shots are falling for him now...the type of shots that didnt go in last year.
I do think that he is wearing down already. It is concerning that he cant do a back-to-back game. He is either held out or he has a weak game, with little to no jumps in his legs.
I'm probably one of the biggest fans of Wall - I think he is a special talent. But I dont think he will realize his potential with this group of teammates. His value is probably at its highest. His potential (and ability to attain it) is also at its highest, and so we must do the right thing for him...trade him to a better situation.
He still needs to improve on a few things... taking plays off on the defensive side once in a while is no good. Keeping the player he is guarding in front of him would be a good thing, instead of relying on help defense. Taking fewer ill-advised shots too would be good. All these things, he can improve upon and get to the next level. But I dont think he can do so with the Wizards. The Wizards have painted themselves into a corner...they cant improve the team to get the team to the next level and compete for a championship. The only way out now is to blow this experiment up.

We have a guard heavy draft coming up. Lets take advantage of it. Trade Wall. I appreciate him a lot, especially what he has done for the community, and for basketball in DC/Md. But its time...
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,916

Post#391 » by CobraCommander » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:53 pm

Bernie wrote:I'm not sure if anyone has posted it yet, but this is imho a very interesting article about Wall and Beal.

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/rich-but-broke/

There are also a few quotes that give me some hope:
Wall's willingness to stake his value upon his defense already has been tested. In the team's first film session after its home-opening loss to the Raptors, Brooks pointed out several times where Wall either didn't sprint back on defense or failed to sit down in a defensive stance. He underscored it all by calling Wall the worst defender on the team "by far."

Wall's response?

"I'm like, ‘Damn, I do look like the worst defender. I can't say nothing back.' It's going to make me a better player and a better person."

And this is the perfect reason why you DONT trade him and you should APPRECIATE him. Being coachable after far and away the best player on the wizards during a film session is what we WANT. Wall should be taken to task by a professional coach...that shouldn't be looked at as bad. If Wall SAID what im sure many star players have said to coaches in the past...that would have been an issue. I think this makes Wall and Brooks look good.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#392 » by gambitx777 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 3:43 am

Walls theme song.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#393 » by montestewart » Wed Dec 7, 2016 4:36 am

Bullets/Wizards Franchise Single Game Scoring Leaders*

Gilbert Arenas 60 (OT)
Earl Monroe 56 (OT)
Gilbert Arenas 54 (OT)
Phil Chenier 53
Bernard King 52
John Wall 52
Gilbert Arenas 51
Michael Jordan 51
Bernard King 50
Moses Malone 50
Tracy Murray 50
Bernard King 49
Earl Monroe 49

Wall was two points away from setting a regulation game franchise record, still held by Phil Chenier.

*Chime in if I missed anyone
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,916

Post#394 » by CobraCommander » Wed Dec 7, 2016 4:42 am

montestewart wrote:Bullets/Wizards Franchise Single Game Scoring Leaders*

Gilbert Arenas 60 (OT)
Earl Monroe 56 (OT)
Gilbert Arenas 54 (OT)
Phil Chenier 53
Bernard King 52
John Wall 52
Gilbert Arenas 51
Michael Jordan 51
Bernard King 50
Moses Malone 50
Tracy Murray 50
Bernard King 49
Earl Monroe 49

Wall was two points away from setting a regulation game franchise record, still held by Phil Chenier.

*Chime in if I missed anyone

Wallstar.....we need to put talent around him
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#395 » by tontoz » Wed Dec 7, 2016 12:43 pm

Wall's 3 pt percentage is up to 39.4%. I have always thought his form looked better on 3s than it does on his pullup jumpers from midrange.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#396 » by Wizardspride » Thu Dec 8, 2016 5:00 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#397 » by queridiculo » Thu Dec 8, 2016 8:09 pm

Windhorst? More linke windbag.

Incredible that guys like him are getting paid for this kind of "analysis".
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,892

Post#398 » by TGW » Thu Dec 8, 2016 8:29 pm

Can't believe that guy got a full time gig on espn for stalking Lebron through childhood.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#399 » by Dark Faze » Thu Dec 8, 2016 9:16 pm

if he does leave, I pray he goes to a spot like the Spurs where he can get the recognition and coaching/fo that he deserves
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#400 » by payitforward » Thu Dec 8, 2016 10:04 pm

It's just so unfair that overpaid spoiled brats like John Wall think that they can insist that their franchises try to build a good team.

I mean, he's getting paid, the owner's making money -- it's a monument(al) to successful sports entertainment... Where does he get off wanting more than that?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards