ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 5

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves Part 5 

Post#1581 » by closg00 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:09 pm

Laker fans are already regretting not taking either Okafor or Porzingis, both are foundational players.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#1582 » by tontoz » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:21 pm

closg00 wrote:Houston is the first to fire a coach, bye-bye McHale. The Rockets are a mess.

Didn't they just resign him last year? :lol:

it was always obvious that he was a lousy coach. He must be really good at sucking up to his bosses. He has been bad at every job he has had since he retired from playing.
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1583 » by LyricalRico » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:00 pm

Wow, Okafor seems to be imploding off the court only a month into his rookie season. Obviously he's responsible for his own actions, but having a team with no veteran leaders that has essentially been losing games on purpose for several years was bound to backfire at some point. They need to try to compete sooner rather than later IMO.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1584 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:02 am

Gortat for Okafor and filler?
In Rizzo we trust
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1585 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:05 am

LyricalRico wrote:Wow, Okafor seems to be imploding off the court only a month into his rookie season. Obviously he's responsible for his own actions, but having a team with no veteran leaders that has essentially been losing games on purpose for several years was bound to backfire at some point. They need to try to compete sooner rather than later IMO.

108 mph on the Ben Franklin Bridge (I assume speed limit is 50 mph or lower), with all those cameras, police on both ends, lots of other cars. Sports cars like to be driven fast, but you have to pick your spots. That is some ostentatious stupidity, and probably exposed others to needless danger.

That team could use a veteran who's unafraid to call out nonsense and to connect the dots between off court behavior and the team. I wonder how many players there are desperate to get out?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1586 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:37 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Gortat for Okafor and filler?

Robert Covington might be near an all star on a better team.
Bye bye Beal.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1587 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:45 am

I dunno. Maybe I'm just having a reaction to the OUTRAGE we seem to generate for nearly anything these days, but what I see in Okafor is a 19 year old kid doing the kind of stupid stuff that MANY 19 year olds do. Obviously, he shouldn't drive 108 miles per hour. Obviously, he should avoid getting into an altercation at a nightclub. If it was one of my kids doing this kind of stuff, there'd be a series of conversations. He should pay his fines, take whatever legal consequences and keep working on being good at his job and being a better person. For me, the key issue would be: What did he learn from the mistakes and bad choices? (And thankfully he didn't hurt anyone.)

My guess based on what I've read is that it's unlikely we'll see more of these kinds of things from him. He seems to be someone who works hard and wants to do well. I don't think extended hand-wringing and prescriptions for a Grizzled Veteran straight from central casting is necessary.

All that said: Philly needs to figure out when it's okay for them to start trying to win again. It really needs to be soon. Maybe the NBA needs a junior league so they can start a relegation system.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#1588 » by montestewart » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:05 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:I dunno. Maybe I'm just having a reaction to the OUTRAGE we seem to generate for nearly anything these days, but what I see in Okafor is a 19 year old kid doing the kind of stupid stuff that MANY 19 year olds do. Obviously, he shouldn't drive 108 miles per hour. Obviously, he should avoid getting into an altercation at a nightclub. If it was one of my kids doing this kind of stuff, there'd be a series of conversations. He should pay his fines, take whatever legal consequences and keep working on being good at his job and being a better person. For me, the key issue would be: What did he learn from the mistakes and bad choices? (And thankfully he didn't hurt anyone.)

My guess based on what I've read is that it's unlikely we'll see more of these kinds of things from him. He seems to be someone who works hard and wants to do well. I don't think extended hand-wringing and prescriptions for a Grizzled Veteran straight from central casting is necessary.

All that said: Philly needs to figure out when it's okay for them to start trying to win again. It really needs to be soon. Maybe the NBA needs a junior league so they can start a relegation system.

When I was 18, I bought a used Plymouth Fury III with a 440 v-8, a former police car. The first night, I circled the beltway as fast as I could. According to the speedometer, I got up to 120 a few times. I was in desperate need of a grizzled veteran, maybe with a peg leg. By the time I was 19, I was far too mature for such nonsense. And besides, my license was suspended.

It's not so much the speed as where he did it that caught my attention, but I guess all that just comes with having to give young people drivers licenses, eh?
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#1589 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:30 pm

montestewart wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:I dunno. Maybe I'm just having a reaction to the OUTRAGE we seem to generate for nearly anything these days, but what I see in Okafor is a 19 year old kid doing the kind of stupid stuff that MANY 19 year olds do. Obviously, he shouldn't drive 108 miles per hour. Obviously, he should avoid getting into an altercation at a nightclub. If it was one of my kids doing this kind of stuff, there'd be a series of conversations. He should pay his fines, take whatever legal consequences and keep working on being good at his job and being a better person. For me, the key issue would be: What did he learn from the mistakes and bad choices? (And thankfully he didn't hurt anyone.)

When I was 18, I bought a used Plymouth Fury III with a 440 v-8, a former police car. The first night, I circled the beltway as fast as I could. According to the speedometer, I got up to 120 a few times. I was in desperate need of a grizzled veteran, maybe with a peg leg. By the time I was 19, I was far too mature for such nonsense. And besides, my license was suspended.

Heh.

It's not so much the speed as where he did it that caught my attention, but I guess all that just comes with having to give young people drivers licenses, eh?

Yeah. When I was 17, I drove my mom's station wagon so fast down Arnon Chapel Road in Great Falls that all four wheels came off the ground when we crested a hill. Later that year, I caused an accident on Old Dominion because I was driving too fast and not paying enough attention. There's a traffic light on that spot now. When I was 19, I made the drive from Norfolk to Great Falls in just under two hours. I didn't really slow down until I was in my mid-20s. Hopefully Okafor is smarter than I was (which wouldn't be much of a challenge).

Which ties in with one piece of information presented at a drivers education lecture I had to attend with my daughter. Ask parents to define good driving, and they use words that basically mean "safe." Ask teens and they use words that basically mean "skilled." And how do they define "skilled"? Driving fast. Fitting the vehicle into a tight space...while driving fast. That mindset persists until the frontal lobe matures, which happens in a person's mid-to-late 20s.

That piece of information (as well as some others) are part of the reason we've slow-walked our kids toward getting a drivers license. So far, none of them have a license. It means I drive more, but that's okay with me.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#1590 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:17 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Heh.

Yeah. When I was 17, I drove my mom's station wagon so fast down Arnon Chapel Road in Great Falls that all four wheels came off the ground when we crested a hill. Later that year, I caused an accident on Old Dominion because I was driving too fast and not paying enough attention. There's a traffic light on that spot now. When I was 19, I made the drive from Norfolk to Great Falls in just under two hours. I didn't really slow down until I was in my mid-20s. Hopefully Okafor is smarter than I was (which wouldn't be much of a challenge).

Which ties in with one piece of information presented at a drivers education lecture I had to attend with my daughter. Ask parents to define good driving, and they use words that basically mean "safe." Ask teens and they use words that basically mean "skilled." And how do they define "skilled"? Driving fast. Fitting the vehicle into a tight space...while driving fast. That mindset persists until the frontal lobe matures, which happens in a person's mid-to-late 20s.

That piece of information (as well as some others) are part of the reason we've slow-walked our kids toward getting a drivers license. So far, none of them have a license. It means I drive more, but that's okay with me.

Which part of EG's brain is, as of yet, underdeveloped?
In Rizzo we trust
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#1591 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:21 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
Which part of EG's brain is, as of yet, underdeveloped?

The thinking part.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1592 » by Higga » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:53 pm

This is why you can't just stack a team full of kids. You need some vets to teach these guys what it means to be a professional. Getting top 3 picks every year is great, at some point you gotta commit to try to winning, otherwise you're just stealing money from the fans.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1593 » by FAH1223 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:43 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/hoopscritic/status/676429887742353409[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/hoopscritic/status/676430336729985024[/tweet]

I WISH DAVE JOERGER WS OUR COACH
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1594 » by payitforward » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:36 am

I still drive fast -- tho not as fast as I did once upon a time. But fast.

I'm a car nut, I fear. I've owned something over 50 of them, and I've driven plenty of cars I can't afford to own (Ferraris, etc.). I have no trouble understanding why someone wants to drive over 100 mph or over 120 mph.

Doesn't make it safe, of course, and that too is important. Driving 120 in the middle of the Nevada desert is one thing; doing 108 on the BF Bridge is different. And stupid.

It's stupid even if it was in the wee hours and there was no traffic. It's asking to be caught by a state trooper. I'm guessing he'll be driving a lot slower henceforth; he seems like a smart kid.

What a great world it would be if we could learn from other people's mistakes, huh! But, no, we have to make all the same ones they made all over again.

Maybe we should have a "favorite rides" thread? Might not be enough gear heads here....
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#1595 » by payitforward » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:09 am

Rockets want to trade Lawson. Phil Jackson looking for a back-court player. What's the over under on Ty Lawson in a Knicks uni?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#1596 » by Dark Faze » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:11 am

kind of annoyed that a team as bad as philly can land a guy like d'antoni as an assistant while we're over here trying to implement a system he's dominant in and failing

but par for the course for this washington team...
closg00
RealGM

Post#1597 » by closg00 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:29 pm

So the Bulls are willing to Trade either Noah or Gibson, what does that tell you about they think about Portis? Portis is a rotation player now.

GSW is a team comprised mostly of players EG passed-on in the draft.
thricethefun
Junior
And1: 46

Post#1598 » by thricethefun » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:41 pm

closg00 wrote:So the Bulls are willing to Trade either Noah or Gibson, what does that tell you about they think about Portis? Portis is a rotation player now.

And Oubre is a rotation player as well. What's your point? Ernie has made a lot of mistakes but not picking Portis is not one of them imo
closg00
RealGM

Post#1599 » by closg00 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:19 am

thricethefun wrote:
closg00 wrote:So the Bulls are willing to Trade either Noah or Gibson, what does that tell you about they think about Portis? Portis is a rotation player now.

And Oubre is a rotation player as well. What's your point? Ernie has made a lot of mistakes but not picking Portis is not one of them imo

I don't understand your defensive, child-like lashing out. This is a discussion of OTHER teams moves, neither EG or KO were mentioned.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1600 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:55 pm

Of the Clippers' three foundational stars, Griffin would probably net the highest return in a trade. Several league sources insist that if Doc Rivers, the Clippers coach, general manager, head chef and lead custodian, were forced to pick one of the three to flip, it would likely be Griffin -- in part because he knows Griffin would bring back the most. (He'd prefer to flip none, obviously). Griffin is entering the late stages of his prime, and unless he learns to shoot 3s, his jumpy game might not age well. Rivers told me in September that another first- or second-round playoff loss might convince him to blow up the team.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/14669764/blake-griffin-tenure-los-angeles-become-questions-hour

Not a move (yet) but still a bombshell.

Return to Washington Wizards