ImageImageImageImageImage

2015 Free Agency and Offseason Part 1

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Re: 2015 Free Agency and Offseason (merged) 

Post#2021 » by Rafael122 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:35 pm

nate33 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:So I read on Twitter I believe that it looks like Wiz and Sato's reps are going to talk next offseason since this is the last year of his deal. I guess b/c he's stayed in Europe for 3 years he's no longer binded by 2nd round rookie contracts so the team can sign him to whatever yes? Can they go over the cap to sign him?

No, they still don't have Bird Rights. They'd have to use cap space or an exception. Nate's latest plan has us using the Room Exception on Sato after we sign Durant. Probably something like 2 years, $6M or so (depending on the new cap).

To answer Rafael's question, there is no limit to draft rights. The Wizards have his draft rights forever unless he is traded or renounced. As for his contract, there are no specific exceptions to aid teams in signing 2nd round draft picks. They are usually signed with the minimum-salary exception. Sato, being a more experienced guy with presumably more impact than your typical 2nd rounder, would likely demand more. We would probably need to use a larger exception. Typically, the MLE or BAE would make sense, but next year, we will have to renounce both to get under the cap from Durant. The only remaining exception (assuming he doesn't take the minimum) is the room exception, which is worth $2.8M. With raises, that comes to Lyrical's estimate of 2 years $6M or thereabouts.

They can still use the room exception even though they're also allowed to go over the cap to sign Beal?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#2022 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:37 pm

sfam wrote:
nate33 wrote:We can afford Markieff and still keep KD2DC alive if we refrain from using the MLE and we cut Humphries next summer. I'm not really sure how to acquire Markieff though. We could trade Nene for him, but what's the motivation for Phoenix? Surely they could do better.

Also, I don't think Markieff fits into Ted's "no jerks" policy.

How does Cousins stack up on Ted's "no jerks" policy?

Not very well. And because of this, I think it's fairly unlikely that the Wizards passionately pursue Cousins. If they can get him for cheap, maybe they'll still consider it because the value is overwhelming, but I don't think they're going to be a frontrunner anytime soon.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,069

Post#2023 » by nate33 » Tue Jul 7, 2015 4:39 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:
No, they still don't have Bird Rights. They'd have to use cap space or an exception. Nate's latest plan has us using the Room Exception on Sato after we sign Durant. Probably something like 2 years, $6M or so (depending on the new cap).

To answer Rafael's question, there is no limit to draft rights. The Wizards have his draft rights forever unless he is traded or renounced. As for his contract, there are no specific exceptions to aid teams in signing 2nd round draft picks. They are usually signed with the minimum-salary exception. Sato, being a more experienced guy with presumably more impact than your typical 2nd rounder, would likely demand more. We would probably need to use a larger exception. Typically, the MLE or BAE would make sense, but next year, we will have to renounce both to get under the cap from Durant. The only remaining exception (assuming he doesn't take the minimum) is the room exception, which is worth $2.8M. With raises, that comes to Lyrical's estimate of 2 years $6M or thereabouts.

They can still use the room exception even though they're also allowed to go over the cap to sign Beal?

Yes. That's what the Room Exception is for. It's to permit a team who went under the cap to sign a big player to then sign one more guy after going over the cap. It was meant for guys like Mike Miller and David West. It should probably be retitled Ring Chasers Exception.

Return to Washington Wizards