ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread - Part XXIX

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XXIX 

Post#1481 » by Dat2U » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:31 pm

I wouldn't trade Webster for Hickson. Hickson is one of the worst bigs in the league. He's consistently been a huge negative on both sides of the court his entire career. He's a low IQ guy who doesn't appear to know how to contribute within a winning concept. He's not someone I'd take at a minimum salary.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1482 » by Ruzious » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:50 pm

I'll take Cody Zeller, Olynyk, or Leonard please. I don't necessarily trust Leonard to be a dependable workhorse, but a legit 7 footer with his ability to hit 3's and good athleticism for his size is a rarrified thing. Still, he's 3rd on my list. Fourth if you count Ajinka.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,327

Post#1483 » by nate33 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Dat2U wrote:I wouldn't trade Webster for Hickson. Hickson is one of the worst bigs in the league. He's consistently been a huge negative on both sides of the court his entire career. He's a low IQ guy who doesn't appear to know how to contribute within a winning concept. He's not someone I'd take at a minimum salary.

I don't care for Hickson either. But if the Webster of this season is no different than the Webster of last season, then he's an utterly worthless player at a position where we already have 4 other guys. Hickson costs the same as Webster and could at least could compete with Blair as our 5th big. More importantly, Hickson is owed nothing in 2016.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1484 » by dangermouse » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:24 am

Will we get to see Satoransky in a Wizards uni any time soon? I got a good feeling about him.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1485 » by Wizardspride » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:08 pm

dangermouse wrote:Will we get to see Satoransky in a Wizards uni any time soon? I got a good feeling about him.

He's expected to join the team next season (2016-2017).

It's in the Satoransky thread. :wink:
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1486 » by LyricalRico » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:43 pm

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I wouldn't trade Webster for Hickson. Hickson is one of the worst bigs in the league. He's consistently been a huge negative on both sides of the court his entire career. He's a low IQ guy who doesn't appear to know how to contribute within a winning concept. He's not someone I'd take at a minimum salary.

I don't care for Hickson either. But if the Webster of this season is no different than the Webster of last season, then he's an utterly worthless player at a position where we already have 4 other guys. Hickson costs the same as Webster and could at least could compete with Blair as our 5th big. More importantly, Hickson is owed nothing in 2016.

:nod:

Webster for any big with an equal or lesser contract is a good move IMO.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1487 » by fishercob » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:50 pm

OK, this is pure fantasy, but it's just for fun so be gentle.

Sacramento starts 5-15 and it's bad. Cousins decides to finally ask for a trade and Karl convinces Vlade and Divac to oblige him.
The Wizards start fast and Nene looks rejuvenated. Feasting on backups, fit and healthy. The Kings decide they'd rather have Nene (Karl's old buddy) and his expiring contract than Gortat, who doesn't fit long term with Cauley-Stein.

Wiz trade Beal, Nene, and a first or two for Cousins. Huzzah.

Ernie has been having concurrent discussions with Larry Bird. The Pacers don't have a center and just signed Monta Ellis and ROdney Stuckey over the summer. George Hill is an excellent player, but his contract is up in a year and Bird is worried about affording him in today's NBA and also being able to add talent.

Wiz trade Gortat and rights to Satoransky for George Hill and Mahinmi. Hill is a championship-level third guard. He and Cousins will cost less this summer than Gortat and Beal and the Wiz would be off to the races.

Wall-Hill-Otto-Hump-Cousins, with Dudley, Anderson, Gooden, Mahinmi and Sessions.

Yowzer.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1488 » by pcbothwel » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:49 pm

In regards to any trades that would use up any remaining space after the hypothetical KD deal, im curious as the status of our 2017 cap.

Assuming we max Beal and sign KD, what would be our cap number in the summer of 2017 with Wall, Beal, Oubre, Otto's cap hold, KD, Gortat, and our 2016 1st?
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,327

Post#1489 » by nate33 » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:57 pm

fishercob wrote:OK, this is pure fantasy, but it's just for fun so be gentle.

Sacramento starts 5-15 and it's bad. Cousins decides to finally ask for a trade and Karl convinces Vlade and Divac to oblige him.
The Wizards start fast and Nene looks rejuvenated. Feasting on backups, fit and healthy. The Kings decide they'd rather have Nene (Karl's old buddy) and his expiring contract than Gortat, who doesn't fit long term with Cauley-Stein.

Ernie has been having concurrent discussions with Larry Bird. The Pacers don't have a center and just signed Monta Ellis and ROdney Stuckey over the summer. George Hill is an excellent player, but his contract is up in a year and Bird is worried about affording him in today's NBA and also being able to add talent.

Wiz trade Gortat and rights to Satoransky for George Hill and Mahinmi. Hill is a championship-level third guard. He and Cousins will cost less this summer than Gortat and Beal and the Wiz would be off to the races.

Wall-Hill-Otto-Hump-Cousins, with Dudley, Anderson, Gooden, Mahinmi and Sessions.

Yowzer.

Not bad. I'm not a huge fan of Hill, but since we'd be left without a starting SG after the Cousins deal, Hill might be about the best guy we could obtain immediately in exchange for Gortat.

In the abstract, I think Gortat, as an above-average starting center on a below-market contract, has more value than Hill, but the trick is to find a team in need of a win-now starting center who has good shooting guards to spare. That's a tall order. If nothing else, I wouldn't be including Satoransky. If anything, I'd stick Indy with Webster.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1490 » by fishercob » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:10 pm

nate33 wrote:

Yowzer.

Not bad. I'm not a huge fan of Hill, but since we'd be left without a starting SG after the Cousins deal, Hill might be about the best guy we could obtain immediately in exchange for Gortat.

In the abstract, I think Gortat, as an above-average starting center on a below-market contract, has more value than Hill, but the trick is to find a team in need of a win-now starting center who has good shooting guards to spare. That's a tall order. If nothing else, I wouldn't be including Satoransky. If anything, I'd stick Indy with Webster.

It is indeed a tall order. Everyone either has a center or Gortat is too old for their trajectory.

HIll's advanced stats are off the charts. HIs ORtg and WS/48 have been great for years, and his reputation is as a defensive ace. I think he is a good starting guard and an elite third guard.
— Steve Martin
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Official Trade Thread - Part XXIX 

Post#1491 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:21 pm

Yowzer.

fish, when you post it I like it because it comes from a good place. You are sharp, compassionate, and somewhat of a Wizards insider...who knows a LOT about hoops. Also, you are a burgeoning sports journalist and IMO a man of great faith.

Yeah, fishercob, in point of fact I posted the exact same trade a while back. You KNOW I love it. :)
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1492 » by fishercob » Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:18 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

Yowzer.

fish, when you post it I like it because it comes from a good place. You are sharp, compassionate, and somewhat of a Wizards insider...who knows a LOT about hoops. Also, you are a burgeoning sports journalist and IMO a man of great faith.

Yeah, fishercob, in point of fact I posted the exact same trade a while back. You KNOW I love it. :)

Thanks for the love, CCJ!

#ProjectBoogie may be ahead of schedule.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/654273585612087296[/tweet]

Discord in Sacramento is a good thing!
— Steve Martin
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1493 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:39 am

I predicted after their first preseason game that Darren Collison would start at PG. Marco Belinelli is likely IMO to start at SG and to perhaps have his best season as a pro.

Karl sat Andre Miller and I think Rondo's on his way out, too.
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1494 » by fishercob » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:14 pm

Apparently Rondo was joking. Having a little fun with the media. :-(
— Steve Martin
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1495 » by dangermouse » Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:34 pm

fishercob wrote:Apparently Rondo was joking. Having a little fun with the media. :-(

Could be damage control
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1496 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:23 am

dangermouse wrote:
fishercob wrote:Apparently Rondo was joking. Having a little fun with the media. :-(

Could be damage control

I you look at the interview, he fought back a smile as he said it.

As an aside: not a good interviewer. Interviewing tips: avoid yes/no questions, don't answer your own questions, and don't try to impress the interviewee with your knowledge.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#1497 » by Severn Hoos » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:36 pm

So basically, watch tapes of Chris Matthews and do the opposite. Got it.

;-)
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1498 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:09 pm

Severn Hoos wrote:So basically, watch tapes of Chris Matthews and do the opposite. Got it.

;-)

In Matthews defense, he asked one of the best questions I've ever heard. He had on some New York politician when Clinton was running for New York's other senate seat. The politician was a lifelong resident of the state and had held several public offices in New York. Matthews' first question: Tell me (whatever the hell the guy's name was) -- Why New York?

Tangent Alert...

When I was in Iowa for the 25th anniversary celebration of the film Field of Dreams, I had the chance to meet Bob Costas. We shook hands and I told him he was number two on my "Top Interviewers" list. Costas says: "That's pretty cool. Who's number one?" I told him it's Terry Gross (NPR's Fresh Air). He nods and says: "Yeah, she's great."
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#1499 » by pcbothwel » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:53 pm

pcbothwel wrote:In regards to any trades that would use up any remaining space after the hypothetical KD deal, im curious as the status of our 2017 cap.

Assuming we max Beal and sign KD, what would be our cap number in the summer of 2017 with Wall, Beal, Oubre, Otto's cap hold, KD, Gortat, and our 2016 1st?

Any input for my question the other day?

I am assuming 89-91M as a cap in 2016 and about 108M in 2017. This appears to be the last major increase for the foreseeable future, so id like us to utilize that somehow.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1500 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:48 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
Severn Hoos wrote:So basically, watch tapes of Chris Matthews and do the opposite. Got it.

;-)

In Matthews defense, he asked one of the best questions I've ever heard. He had on some New York politician when Clinton was running for New York's other senate seat. The politician was a lifelong resident of the state and had held several public offices in New York. Matthews' first question: Tell me (whatever the hell the guy's name was) -- Why New York?

Tangent Alert...

When I was in Iowa for the 25th anniversary celebration of the film Field of Dreams, I had the chance to meet Bob Costas. We shook hands and I told him he was number two on my "Top Interviewers" list. Costas says: "That's pretty cool. Who's number one?" I told him it's Terry Gross (NPR's Fresh Air). He nods and says: "Yeah, she's great."

Fresh Air and Ira Glass' This American Life are - or at least have been - the best shows on radio.

Ok, a what if this, this, and that happened trade thought: Say Otto and Beal get off to good solid starts and Indy gets off to a terrible start - with Paul George grumbling about wanting a change? Are you willing to trade Otto, Beal, Nene (filler) and a first for George and Buddinger (expiring)? Then move Oubre to the 2bre. Then next year have George and Durant at the forwards - keeping in mind that George has grown to a solid 6'9? George and Durant together... with Wall... and Gortat and Oubre. Would that be fair?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards