ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread - Part XXIX

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Official Trade Thread - Part XXIX 

Post#1421 » by fishercob » Mon Aug 3, 2015 7:55 pm

To me, the allure of Beal for Okafor is that it could allow the Wiz to acquire Cousins without giving up Gortat.

I think, if DMC were to ask out, the Kings would seriously consider Okafor and Nene. Maybe we add in our '16 pick.

Then we can re-deploy Gortat for 2-3 players or maybe a really good and reasonably priced wing. I still have a hard time finding good Gortat trades right now though. Maybe to Boston for Isiah and Olynyk, so you're effectively trading Beal, Gortat and Nene for Cousins, Thomas and Olynyk.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#1422 » by stevemcqueen1 » Tue Aug 4, 2015 5:42 pm

I think that's a net downgrade fish.

I'm still not interested in trading Beal to bring in Cousins. But beyond my own preference, we're not going to trade Beal. Any proposed deal involving him is completely unrealistic.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#1423 » by dangermouse » Wed Aug 5, 2015 12:36 am

at this point im against anything based around beal for cousins. if oubre jr shows that he has the upside to be as good as or better than beal, that changes things.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#1424 » by gambitx777 » Fri Aug 7, 2015 11:12 pm

So the Jaz want Temple. Ok sure I say we set the price at free, but they have to take Webster or Blair with him. They have the cap room to do so. I say its worth a shot! maybe they take blair and we sign a big and keep a spot open and at best they take webby and we save a **** ton of money.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1425 » by LyricalRico » Sat Aug 8, 2015 12:55 am

gambitx777 wrote:So the Jaz want Temple. Ok sure I say we set the price at free, but they have to take Webster or Blair with him. They have the cap room to do so. I say its worth a shot! maybe they take blair and we sign a big and keep a spot open and at best they take webby and we save a **** ton of money.

Can't see them taking Webster just to get Temple, but somebody suggested Temple+Blair for Booker in another thread. Problem is Utah is already over the roster limit, so not sure they'd be interested in a 2-for-1.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#1426 » by payitforward » Sat Aug 8, 2015 1:44 am

LyricalRico wrote:...somebody suggested Temple+Blair for Booker in another thread. Problem is Utah is already over the roster limit, so not sure they'd be interested in a 2-for-1.

I'm in. Can't wait to read Dat's response! :)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#1427 » by nuposse04 » Sat Aug 8, 2015 4:11 am

payitforward wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:...somebody suggested Temple+Blair for Booker in another thread. Problem is Utah is already over the roster limit, so not sure they'd be interested in a 2-for-1.

I'm in. Can't wait to read Dat's response! :)

Booker with 3 pt range could be very useful. I just hope in the hypothetical situation he comes back, he is told to actually camp beyond the 3 pt line instead of at the top of the FT line.

If we can, then Use that last roster spot to sign a center....Birch/Sims...done. We'd have some roster balance then with a clear upgrade in athleticism in the front court.
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1428 » by gambitx777 » Sat Aug 8, 2015 8:52 am

LyricalRico wrote:
gambitx777 wrote:So the Jaz want Temple. Ok sure I say we set the price at free, but they have to take Webster or Blair with him. They have the cap room to do so. I say its worth a shot! maybe they take blair and we sign a big and keep a spot open and at best they take webby and we save a **** ton of money.

Can't see them taking Webster just to get Temple, but somebody suggested Temple+Blair for Booker in another thread. Problem is Utah is already over the roster limit, so not sure they'd be interested in a 2-for-1.

Does not work cap wise,
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1429 » by TheSecretWeapon » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:01 pm

Virtually every trade can be done nowadays by including Philadelphia.

Temple and Webster for Booker works if the Wizards send Webster to Philly.

Maybe Utah and Washington could each send future 2nd round picks to Philly in exchange for renting the cap space. Hell, they could each send some cash to cover Webster's remaining salary.

Philly would just release Webster.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1430 » by JWizmentality » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:42 pm

I'll take anything for Temple. Not picky in the slightest. Throw in a ham sandwich...or is that asking too much?
manifested
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#1431 » by manifested » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:07 pm

JWizmentality wrote:I'll take anything for Temple. Not picky in the slightest. Throw in a ham sandwich...or is that asking too much?

Honest question, are Temple and Blair worth more or less than having two open roster spots?

I think I'd rather have the open roster spot given what's already locked in on the roster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1432 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:45 pm

manifested wrote:
JWizmentality wrote:I'll take anything for Temple. Not picky in the slightest. Throw in a ham sandwich...or is that asking too much?

Honest question, are Temple and Blair worth more or less than having two open roster spots?

I think I'd rather have the open roster spot given what's already locked in on the roster.

Temple has shown he belongs in the NBA. Blair - if he's not in better shape - isn't worth a roster spot, imo. And really, it comes down to philosophy of how you want to use those last 2 roster spots. My thinking is it's best to use them on young talent with upside that you can groom. Neither Temple or Blair have enough upside to keep using that philosophy. I would have signed guys like Robert Upshaw (signed by the Lakers to a mostly unguaranteed 2 year contract - probably minimum - and Seth Curry - who signed a 2 year/2 mil contract with Sacramento. Actually, I wouldn't have tried - I would have signed them - paying them both a little over a million a year.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,971

Post#1433 » by dckingsfan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:05 pm

Hey Ruz, I think that goes for Webster too? And over/under that Blair comes to camp in shape?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1434 » by Ruzious » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 pm

dckingsfan wrote:Hey Ruz, I think that goes for Webster too? And over/under that Blair comes to camp in shape?

Sure - though I suppose there's a little hope against hope that Webster will somehow regain a step. And Blair's got a slightly better chance to be in shape than Michael Sweetney. Speaking of G-town fatties, if Joshua Smith would lose 50 lbs or so, I bet he could play in the NBA. If we had a legit minor league, I'd try to get players like him for it - hoping he'd eventually get that 14th or 15th spot on the NBA roster.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1435 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:10 pm

Blair had 5 productive seasons before his one year of limited playing time for Randy Wittman.

The absence of Seraphin and a new season gives Blair another chance. Blair is a sub who should play 10-15 minutes each game. He's a very good offensive rebounder and a high IQ player. If he remains a Wizard I think Blair will have a bounce back year. I choose to believe the other 97% of his career minutes over recency based on very limited minutes.

In 2014-2015, Dejuan Blair played all of 180 minutes. In his career, he's played 6836 minutes. Last season represents UNDER three percent of data on a career. Assuming a 26-year old who should have fresh legs and all kinds of motivation in a contract year is finished does not make as much sense to me as it does to assume last season was an outlier.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1436 » by payitforward » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:41 pm

Ruzious wrote:
manifested wrote:

Temple has shown he belongs in the NBA. Blair - if he's not in better shape - isn't worth a roster spot, imo. And really, it comes down to philosophy of how you want to use those last 2 roster spots. My thinking is it's best to use them on young talent with upside that you can groom. Neither Temple or Blair have enough upside to keep using that philosophy. I would have signed guys like Robert Upshaw (signed by the Lakers to a mostly unguaranteed 2 year contract - probably minimum - and Seth Curry - who signed a 2 year/2 mil contract with Sacramento. Actually, I wouldn't have tried - I would have signed them - paying them both a little over a million a year.

I certainly agree that the end of the bench needs to have as many young players as possible. And the rest of the bench needs more than we have there as well! If you don't do that, you make it almost impossible to be surprised, to get lucky.

But I also agree that Temple has shown that he's an NBA player -- in fact, he's a bargain at the $$ he earns. It's hard to see how Alan Anderson is a much better player than Temple for example, if he's better at all, but he makes 4 times Temple's money. Gary Neal is terrible, but we're paying him twice what we pay Temple. I'd rather have Seth Curry than Gary Neal. But I'd keep Temple, and let Neal go.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager

Post#1437 » by gambitx777 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:56 pm

I would make a hard offer, of Temple/Blair or Temple/Webster and make them choose. I'm willing to part with seconds or thomas if it get's rid of webby. Then we buy out Blair. and we have 3 spots to improve the team. with some solid options out there left. If only Donald Sloan was still left out there.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#1438 » by payitforward » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:06 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Blair had 5 productive seasons before his one year of limited playing time for Randy Wittman.

The absence of Seraphin and a new season gives Blair another chance. Blair is a sub who should play 10-15 minutes each game. He's a very good offensive rebounder and a high IQ player. If he remains a Wizard I think Blair will have a bounce back year. I choose to believe the other 97% of his career minutes over recency based on very limited minutes.

In 2014-2015, Dejuan Blair played all of 180 minutes. In his career, he's played 6836 minutes. Last season represents UNDER three percent of data on a career. Assuming a 26-year old who should have fresh legs and all kinds of motivation in a contract year is finished does not make as much sense to me as it does to assume last season was an outlier.

I was happy when we signed him, and I sure hope you are right.

I'd guess there are two issues: motivation and physical capability.

You are right that Blair should be motivated to reboot his career. OTOH, *all* these guys make so much money that if his finances have been handled well, the kid is already rich for life.

As to physical capability -- the concern was always DeJuan Blair's knees. He's played significant minutes in previous seasons, so maybe they aren't a concern. Then again... maybe they are by now?

I can also see where his knees and his motivation might be related. In any case, I have always liked his game; he's been very productive, and it would be great if he returned to that form this season with the Wizards!
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#1439 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:30 am

The concern with Blair's knees wasn't related to pain, but to him not having an ACL in either knee. Team doctors were worried about joint stability and him sustaining a catastrophic injury. There were also some cartilage/arthritis concerns based on his weight -- he's always been a beefy guy.

Last season was obviously a disaster for Blair. Hopefully he gets in shape and ready to play like he used to play. The Wiz could use him.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1440 » by verbal8 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:13 am

With the rumored interest of the Jazz in Garrett Temple, what about making a deal for Grant Jerrett? I don't think Grant Jerrett will be a great NBA player, but his length and shooting do make him an interesting option as a stretch-4.

Return to Washington Wizards