ImageImageImageImageImage

We should offer Khris Middleton a max contract, or whatever it takes to steal him

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

We should offer Khris Middleton a max contract, or whatever it takes to steal him 

Post#1 » by Dark Faze » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:38 pm

He's everything we hoped Brad would be his first few seasons in the league. I'd easily trade Brad for assets and offer Middleton a max if thats what it took. He's absolutely in line to become an all-star, he checks every metric. I haven't watched him as much lately, but the few times I see him I think, "damn he reminds me of Kobe", just in terms of that off the dribble, elevated jumper that goes down. You don't see it too often from two guards these days.

He's got size, 6'7

He's a better shooter than Brad. 44% FG as a rook. 48% FG in his third year with 44% from deep on similar attempts as Brad. He's shot over 40% from deep since his sophmore season. More proof that he's an elite shooter? 84% FT was his worst mark of his career. He's shooting 85% right now.

He'll be 24 this summer.

He could probably play SF with that size, but I'm not sure how good he is defensively. Advanced stats look good in terms of DRTG, but you know you can only look so much into that stat.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,009

Re: We should offer Khris Middleton a max contract, or whatever it takes to steal him 

Post#2 » by dckingsfan » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:47 pm

Nah, we have Satoransky
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,339

Re: We should offer Khris Middleton a max contract, or whatever it takes to steal him 

Post#3 » by nate33 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:50 pm

We don't have cap room.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#4 » by Dark Faze » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:40 pm

nate33 wrote:We don't have cap room.

We'll have it this summer, and there are ways to make it
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#5 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:48 pm

Dark Faze wrote:

we don't have cap space this summer
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,891

Post#6 » by TGW » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:36 pm

no
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#7 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:40 pm

Dark Faze wrote:

Not without incriminating pictures of the commissioner.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#8 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:38 pm

Dark Faze wrote:He's everything we hoped Brad would be his first few seasons in the league. I'd easily trade Brad for assets and offer Middleton a max if thats what it took. He's absolutely in line to become an all-star, he checks every metric. I haven't watched him as much lately, but the few times I see him I think, "damn he reminds me of Kobe", just in terms of that off the dribble, elevated jumper that goes down. You don't see it too often from two guards these days.

He's got size, 6'7

He's a better shooter than Brad. 44% FG as a rook. 48% FG in his third year with 44% from deep on similar attempts as Brad. He's shot over 40% from deep since his sophmore season. More proof that he's an elite shooter? 84% FT was his worst mark of his career. He's shooting 85% right now.

He'll be 24 this summer.

He could probably play SF with that size, but I'm not sure how good he is defensively. Advanced stats look good in terms of DRTG, but you know you can only look so much into that stat.

KM is having a very good season. Another terrific player to come out of R2 in 2012, when we were fortunate enough to find Tomas Satoransky still available to us (whew! lucky!) so that we could stash him until... oh forget about it!

But... a max contract? Wow, you're an enthusiastic guy!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#9 » by queridiculo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:47 pm

This is precisely what many posters have mentioned in the past.

The opportunity cost of being a mediocre middling franchise that has no clear vision of where it wants to go.

The result of capping out by signing Gortat, trading for Humphries, signing Pierce and holding onto Nene virtually guaranteed that Washington is going to make the playoffs, but it also guaranteed that Washington has no real avenue for improvement toward what should be the ultimate goal, winning a championship.

With their focus on short term "success" Washington disqualified itself from picking up difference makers in the lottery and free agency.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Dark Faze » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:54 pm

The deal can still be done via sign and trade.

Enthusiastic? Well yea, but again look at the numbers. This is his third year, which we almost always reserve as a "breakout" season. And its happening for him. He's improved his scoring each month. He's five games into this month and is averaging 22 PPG. He's a great shooter, he's young, and there's no reason why you'd say his upside is lower than Beals outside of age.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#11 » by Ruzious » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:06 pm

Dark Faze wrote:The deal can still be done via sign and trade.

Enthusiastic? Well yea, but again look at the numbers. This is his third year, which we almost always reserve as a "breakout" season. And its happening for him. He's improved his scoring each month. He's five games into this month and is averaging 22 PPG. He's a great shooter, he's young, and there's no reason why you'd say his upside is lower than Beals outside of age.

So basically you're explaining why Milwaukee would match any sane offer - since he will be an RFA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#12 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:10 pm

In my last update last week, Middleton had a PPA of 134. NBA salaries are going to be rising very soon, but I don't think I'd want to go max salary for him.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#13 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:48 pm

A sign and trade would be interesting,
Beal and gortat, stao for Middleton and their 2015 first (late teen early 20') or Middelton, Plumlee, Bucks second.
I would say Middleton would get something like 10-13 mill a year in the deal ? But it's risky.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#14 » by Dat2U » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:52 pm

He's been great this season but NO I wouldn't trade him for Beal AND/OR give MAX deal. And definitely have NO interest in doing BOTH.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:53 pm

Nah, just draft Dez Wells and hope he turns out to be even better than Middleton.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... ton-1.html
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... lls-1.html

Wells is destined to be a better pro than where he is currently projected.

Instead of pouring a lot of money into free agents like Middleton, it's better to look to build through the draft.
Bye bye Beal.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Dark Faze » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:55 pm

It's a little daunting I know, but to me its preferable to paying one of the worst mid-range shooters in the league who can't get to the line or dribble max money.

I still think Beal has room to grow, but he's got maybe one more season to prove what his potential in the league is. Right now he's not even an elite roleplayer. Middletons stats suggest he's one of the best shooters in the league, with upside elsewhere. If nothing else, what he already is is what we would hope Beal could achieve in time.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#17 » by FAH1223 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:58 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Nah, just draft Dez Wells and hope he turns out to be even better than Middleton.

Instead of pouring a lot of money into free agents like Middleton, it's better to look to build through the draft.

CCJ,

Wall and Dez are pretty close. Perhaps Wall could play GM and have this lazy, worthless, useless front office by getting an extra pick draft Dez or sign him if he is undrafted.
Dark Faze
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Dark Faze » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:03 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Nah, just draft Dez Wells and hope he turns out to be even better than Middleton.

Middleton is a 6'7 SG who's close to 48, 45, 85 right now. I get your point, but that kind of upside is worth a pre-cap raise max imo.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#19 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:03 pm

I love Dez Wells! But,
Thats one of those things smart teams do, Even if we keep our second I can see it happening now, Draft night, our second round pick comes around, Dez is on the board, and we pick some euro scrub we have never heard of or we trade the pick for cash.....

I feel like, Trading Gortat and beal in a sign and trade for Middleton Helps us a lot, 10-13 mill a year for a starting wing player is not going to be that bad when the cap goes up. Plus we are getting an extra pick which is another asset. Plus we shed cap, not much but some and we avoid the inevitable decline of Gortat. With 2 firsts and possibly our second, we could ad some really good pieces and assets to the team! But I over all agree with you! I would love to have Dez! or at worst R.J. Hunter.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#20 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:11 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

CCJ,

Wall and Dez are pretty close. Perhaps Wall could play GM and have this lazy, worthless, useless front office by getting an extra pick draft Dez or sign him if he is undrafted.

This would be a great season to purchase one of Philadelphia's (4) second round picks.

Dez is an inspirational leader who finishes with authority. He'll at least have a cup of coffee in the NBA, but I think he's going to be a decent player; perhaps even a decent starting SG.

I'm pretty sure Wall would love to have him as a teammate on the Wizards.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards