OT: The Jason Reid dilemma

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: OT: The Jason Reid dilemma 

Post#21 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:07 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Reid bashed management, then accepts a position at a place that is owned by the very management he bashes. I don't really follow, I would have never done it.

But a radio station isn't the same thing as a football team. It it was going to be a problem, why did 980 hire him, set up all the arrangements for his show, and cancel Pollins' show? Cancelling Reid right before the scheduled debut has to crush their local credibility.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#22 » by tontoz » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:22 pm

The Fail is strong with the Skins. Wow
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#23 » by TGW » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:37 am

I would think this is partly the cause of the firing:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/10/ ... ng-matter/
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:53 am

TGW wrote:I would think this is partly the cause of the firing:

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/10/ ... ng-matter/

Reid does seem like quite the asshat. I don't feel sorry for him even a little bit, but... Everything was done wrong - from offering Reid a show in the first place, to cancelling Pollin''s show, to calling the new show a moronic name like the Mancave, to cancelling a show that never even started.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#25 » by hands11 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:21 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
milellie111 wrote:Now do you realize the great management of Ted Leonsis and Ernie Grunfeld?

If the standard is that a team's management is "great" if it's better than the Washington Slurs under Dan Snyder, then every team in every sport has "great" management.

Something about like this ?

:clap: :clap:
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#26 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:12 am

hands11 wrote:like this..

More like this...

"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#27 » by stevemcqueen1 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:54 am

milellie111 wrote:Now do you realize the great management of Ted Leonsis and Ernie Grunfeld?

Now I get it. If Dan Snyder is your only frame of reference for ownership and management then Ted and Ernie probably do seem great to you.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#28 » by mhd » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:51 pm

Jason Reid was the worst "columnist" the Post ever employed. His moronic article on John Wall getting Tattoos was enough to show that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

He's a complete idiot. Heck, his latest article (on ESPN) has him bashing Jameis Winston for deciding to spend the draft with his friends & family instead of attending it! Reid NEVER, in his entire tenure at the post wrote anything of significance. He was a horrible writer whose "opinion" would be trumped by any member of this board. Kevin, you don't think your blog is far better "opinion" than the drivel that Reid writes?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by Ruzious » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:17 pm

mhd wrote:Jason Reid was the worst "columnist" the Post ever employed. His moronic article on John Wall getting Tattoos was enough to show that.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... story.html

He's a complete idiot. Heck, his latest article (on ESPN) has him bashing Jameis Winston for deciding to spend the draft with his friends & family instead of attending it! Reid NEVER, in his entire tenure at the post wrote anything of significance. He was a horrible writer whose "opinion" would be trumped by any member of this board. Kevin, you don't think your blog is far better "opinion" than the drivel that Reid writes?

I don't know if it was Reid's job to make Mike Wise look better in comparison or the other way around. They both had their own ways of being obnoxious.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#30 » by Dat2U » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:35 pm

Reid is TURRIBLE. His articles are moronic and come from the Jason Whitlock school of idiot journalism. I have an impossible time feeling ANY sympathy for him no matter how bad Snyder & Allen may have screwed the pooch in this scenario.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,888

Post#31 » by TGW » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:23 pm

His article on Jameis Winston was downright embarrassing. The comments section of that article is nearly 100% in agreement that Reid is an idiot.
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#32 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:35 pm

My point in talking about this is not really to defend Reid. I can't remember a time where I read something he wrote and thought what he'd offered was insightful or even good analysis. But, I would say that he did a decent job of stirring the pot, which IS a big part of a columnist's job.

That said, whatever folks think about the job he did at the Post, what's being done to him at the radio station is utter bullshi!t. Steinberg had it right in his print piece this morning (probably online too): from the Slurs side of things this is either malicious or gross incompetence. Which strongly suggests that Allen and/or Snyder were involved in the decision.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
milellie111
Pro Prospect
And1: 245

Post#33 » by milellie111 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:42 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:

Now I get it. If Dan Snyder is your only frame of reference for ownership and management then Ted and Ernie probably do seem great to you.

Nope, I'm not judging Ted and Ernie based on Snyder/Allen. I'm judging Ted and Ernie based on Ted and Ernie. Ted received unfair criticism (even from me in the beginning) inheriting Pollins team. Patience from fans was necessary during this transitional process but not practiced. Grunfeld still receives unnecessary hate based on moves under Pollin while disregarding success under Leonsis. The Redskins have only gotten worse from the Cooke/Snyder transition. The Wizards have substantially improved from the Pollin/Leonsis transition.
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,003

Post#34 » by dckingsfan » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:45 pm

Millie definition of Great:
adj.
Of ordinary or undistinguished quality.
milellie111
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by milellie111 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:47 pm

Snyder is a micromanaging egotistical meddler into the affairs of the GM AND the coach.Ted is the exact opposite. He lays out the plan, allows Grunfeld to do his job. And neither interferes with the coaching even with knee jerk reactions from fans. That is a healthy management relationship. All successful organizations follow that model.
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#36 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:57 pm

Do we really need to turn yet another thread into another trolling soapbox?
-- Malcolm Gladwell

tontoz
RealGM

Post#37 » by tontoz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:17 pm

milellie111 wrote:Snyder is a micromanaging egotistical meddler into the affairs of the GM AND the coach.Ted is the exact opposite. He lays out the plan, allows Grunfeld to do his job. And neither interferes with the coaching even with knee jerk reactions from fans. That is a healthy management relationship. All successful organizations follow that model.

Do all successful organizations rehire GMs/coaches with poor track records without interviewing other candidates?

:crazy:
milellie111
Pro Prospect

Post#38 » by milellie111 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:40 pm

tontoz wrote:
milellie111 wrote:Snyder is a micromanaging egotistical meddler into the affairs of the GM AND the coach.Ted is the exact opposite. He lays out the plan, allows Grunfeld to do his job. And neither interferes with the coaching even with knee jerk reactions from fans. That is a healthy management relationship. All successful organizations follow that model.

Do all successful organizations rehire GMs/coaches with poor track records without interviewing other candidates?

Continuity is a model many successful organizations follow. Firing a coach and GM every other season does not equal success i.e the Redskins. They have been doing that for years.The key to success is fostering a good environment within the organization and building a team correctly with the right pieces. Ted and Ernie are on that path currently with a good core mix of young drafted stars and contributing vets. If you build a team correctly, the coach is not the achilles heel or focus of the team.
TGW = Troll Gone Wild
tontoz
RealGM

Post#39 » by tontoz » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:42 pm

milellie111 wrote:
tontoz wrote:

Continuity is a model many successful organizations follow. Firing a coach and GM every other season does not equal success i.e the Redskins. They have been doing that for years.The key to success is fostering a good environment within the organization and building a team correctly with the right pieces. Ted and Ernie are on that path currently with a good core mix of young drafted stars and contributing vets. If you build a team correctly, the coach is not the achilles heel or focus of the team.

Continuity of failure is not the model for success. It is the model of the Wizards. Both GM and coach have poor track records, so lets rehire them!
milellie111
Pro Prospect

Post#40 » by milellie111 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:54 pm

tontoz wrote:
milellie111 wrote:
tontoz wrote:

Continuity of failure is not the model for success. It is the model of the Wizards. Both GM and coach have poor track records, so lets rehire them!

Looking just at poor track records presents a close minded perspective. You want to criticize Grunfelds body of work and result with the Knicks? What have the Knicks accomplished since with him gone? The front office was satisfied with giving Wittman a shot and they did not judge based on his track record (which is unfair because that would mean many coaches would not qualify for jobs), rather they judged based on best fit, his commitment to discipline and defense and many players familiarity with him.
TGW = Troll Gone Wild

Return to Washington Wizards