Otto Porter Part 2

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#161 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:09 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
dckingsfan wrote:OMG hands, Casey is turrible... let's hope they give him an extension :)

I would say Casey may have his limitations. Guys like Quinton Ross and Jonas Valanciunas haven't gotten better- although I wonder how much of that is on those guys just not working on their game enough. James Johnson also hasn't been utilized although when he missed 4 free throws, I could see why Casey had been reluctant to use him.

For this series, the decks may be stacked against Casey given the injuries or whatever is going on with Kyle Lowry and Amir Johnson. Even 6th man of the year winner Lou Willliams has disappeared- he hasn't really been that good and is shooting only 30% from the field and 13% from 3 point range. Lou Williams has struggled in the playoffs with the 76ers and the Hawks so it isn't really that surprising. DeMarr DeRozan can't get it going offensively against Otto Porter.

For now it appears the Wizards are running a better offense, they are getting more shots in the paint, and taking more 3s. Casey could be making better adjustment defensively but for now I see Washington's increase in offense as a result of Washington playing more small ball and shortening the rotations. If Otto Porter keeps playing like this, I'm not sure what Casey or any coach can do.

Perhaps Casey could have played Lowry less in the regular season to preserve his health although that became a tougher proposition once DeRozan had his injury. A coaching change may need to be made but there are certainly places where Toronto could add more talent .

Exactly. And for all that.. they have still been in every game.

I don't see Casey as the problem. He is up against better top end talent in #1 Wall against one of his best players who is injured, smaller and older. Also, we rolled out of stretch line ups no on had tape on. And Otto is beasting on their other core player D Roz.

We just have the pieces defensively to surgically limit their best offensive pieces. Its what we did to CHI last year.

Then we have Gortat and Nene vs Val and Hans.

We just have the talent advantage in the right places and he have a better defensive team. They were more an offensive team this year. But even then, they did cause 17 turnovers.

These games have been close. Not sure what Casey could do that would change the fact we have Wall over injured Lowry, Otto on D Roz, Gortat vs Val and we have The Truth.

Give Casey the Wizards roster and it would be 3-0 TOR. I actually think he has done well with what he has.

As someone that believe in how much coaching can play a role in outcomes, that isn't the case here. This is a talent/injury/experience issue.

Only major thing I think Casey did wrong was start Hans the first two games. But I get why he did it. But even when he started Amir who I hear is on bad wheels, they still lost. Either way they go, I don't think they have the horses to beat the Wizards with this roster when the Wizards are also willing to play stretch line ups. But Amir starting would have given then the better chance.

Its not Casey that is the problem. It just where TOR is in their rebuild is farther back then where the Wizards are in theirs. And in a snap shot for just this playoffs, the different is marginal. Long term, it will be much bigger in the Wizards advantage next year. Wizards have a better core in place.

But their roster cleans up some this offseason and they gain lots of cap. TOR will likely win less next year before they build to win more. Wizards will keep moving forward around the core they have in place. The teams are just in two different places.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#162 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:35 pm

I don't know what Casey could be doing so differently, when his best player is playing like ***

There's something wrong with Lowry obviously and that takes away the identity of their team. Can't totally blame the coach for that, he was expecting to get an All-Star level performance and instead Lowry has played below replaceemnt level.
DCZards
General Manager
And1: 3,971

Post#163 » by DCZards » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:08 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:I don't know what Casey could be doing so differently, when his best player is playing like ***

There's something wrong with Lowry obviously and that takes away the identity of their team. Can't totally blame the coach for that, he was expecting to get an All-Star level performance and instead Lowry has played below replaceemnt level.

Lowry is clearly not healthy...and hasn't been the last couple of months. That explains his lousy play, imo. And you're right, can't blame Casey for his best player not getting it done.
theboomking
Sixth Man
And1: 20

Post#164 » by theboomking » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:58 am

Otto Porter really affects the game without scoring. That being said, I thought he took some terrible awkward shots last night. Contested off balance shots. He ate the game with such good instincts and I know that the team has been pushing him to be more aggressive. I hope those bad shots wash out as he gets more experience.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#165 » by keynote » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:59 am

theboomking wrote:Otto Porter really affects the game without scoring. That being said, I thought he took some terrible awkward shots last night. Contested off balance shots. He ate the game with such good instincts and I know that the team has been pushing him to be more aggressive. I hope those bad shots wash out as he gets more experience.

He'll be fine. Those might be the first 2-3 ill-advised/forced shots he's taken as a pro. He'll need to test the edges of his game a little bit to see just how far he can go -- and where he needs to improve.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#166 » by Higga » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:09 pm

He took a couple bad shots but I mean, everyone in the league takes bad shots at some point. Sometimes you're just forced into it. But Porter has done an outstanding job this series. His D on DeRozan was fantastic, he grabbed tough boards, and was just a menace all over the court.

I was at Game 3 and I got my section chanting for OTTO PORTER. Was pretty awesome. The people in the city really love him. We appreciate our own.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#167 » by Illmatic12 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:23 pm

theboomking wrote:Otto Porter really affects the game without scoring. That being said, I thought he took some terrible awkward shots last night. Contested off balance shots. He ate the game with such good instincts and I know that the team has been pushing him to be more aggressive. I hope those bad shots wash out as he gets more experience.

Wittman tells him to take those shots, in fact he said he would pull Otto out of the game if he's afraid to take those shots. And I agree with him.

If he's gonna be a starter he's got to test his offensive game, and stop passing the ball like a hot potato.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#168 » by FAH1223 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:34 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

Wittman tells him to take those shots, in fact he said he would pull Otto out of the game if he's afraid to take those shots. And I agree with him.

If he's gonna be a starter he's got to test his offensive game, and stop passing the ball like a hot potato.

Otto is the one player on the roster I do not mind jacking up shots
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#169 » by stevemcqueen1 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:40 pm

Yeah he forced two shots but I'm actually glad he did. It's the same deal for him as it is for Beal. They have the same kind of go with the flow demeanor that can lead to passive play. At this point, it's more important for them to be aggressive and search for shots than it is for them to make them.

Beal is really our primary finisher and first scoring option. Being passive is the one thing we can't afford from him. And while Otto will (hopefully) not be our first option scorer, it would be a huge boost if he could become a second or at least a third option. He has the natural scoring talent to be that kind of player. I want him to have zero fear about catching the ball and attacking--either a couple dribbles for a mid range shot or taking it all of the way to the rim. You get that kind of offense from him plus great defense and you have a pretty similar player to Kawhi Leonard.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#170 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:18 am

stevemcqueen1 wrote:Thank God we signed Paul Pierce. You actually had a moment where DeRozan complained about Otto trash talking him. Otto!! Pierce's leadership and attitude is what we desperately needed. Otto and Beal are totally different in their on court demeanor now. They are playing with ferocity.

Otto on offense is going to be like Rip Hamilton. He is very persistent. He will keep coming at opponents. Porter will be a good scorer.

Better than that is he'd got great instincts on defense. He plays with both a high basketball IQ and a high motor.

Porter has a huge upside. I already see the fire. As he gains strength his game will improve.

He's got a bright future.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Re: Otto Porter Part 2 

Post#171 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:24 am

Illmatic12 wrote:I don't know what Casey could be doing so differently, when his best player is playing like ***

He IMO should have benched Hansbrough in favor of James Johnson. He should have played his shot blocker Greg Stiemsma at least 10-15 minutes a game. He should have given Vasquez all of Terrence Ross ' minutes. Cut the minutes of Lowry and Amir Johnson when the play fatigued.

No Hansbrough or Ross. Substitute James Johnson, Greveis Vasquez, and Greg Stiemsma. Rebound and protect the rim. That's what these players would have done. Vasquez has Washington on its heels. He came to play each game, unlike Lowry. Ross was a nonfactor, much like Nick Young when his shot is off.

Last, more shots for Patterson.

Casey was turrible, as someone said earlier.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#172 » by Higga » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:09 pm

Playing Hansbrough even one minute is grounds for termination IMO. That guy is awful. Not an NBA player at all. You're literally playing 4 on 5 when he's on the floor.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#173 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:27 pm

Higga wrote:Playing Hansbrough even one minute is grounds for termination IMO. That guy is awful. Not an NBA player at all. You're literally playing 4 on 5 when he's on the floor.

Interesting. He doesn't look bad to me. His PPA is that of a useful backup PF -- mid-80s each of the past three seasons (where average is 100 and higher is better). Not outstanding by any means, but not bad either.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,527

Post#174 » by closg00 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:34 pm

Otto is a Shaqtin-a-fool MVP finalist candidate
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_o ... inees.nba/
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,003

Post#175 » by dckingsfan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:58 pm

But he is also this:
http://tinyurl.com/k4afrke
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by stevemcqueen1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:08 pm

closg00 wrote:Otto is a Shaqtin-a-fool MVP finalist candidate
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/tnt_o ... inees.nba/

Oh come on, those are the best three they can come up with? JaVale in his prime gave you more than all of that combined during your average home stand.

There is no way some Lakers or Knicks player isn't the MVP.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant

Post#177 » by stevemcqueen1 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:22 pm

In retrospect, Dion Waiters should be the MVP simply for claiming he was one half of the best backcourt in the league last summer.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#178 » by keynote » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:56 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:In retrospect, Dion Waiters should be the MVP simply for claiming he was one half of the best backcourt in the league last summer.

The intro to Grantland's "NBA After Dark" podcast (which focuses on off-court gossip, trash talk, and Twitter rumors) uses a snippet of the audio from Wall's response to Waiters' comments. I always chuckle. :)
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#179 » by fishercob » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:27 pm

I find the trajectory of Otto's three ball to be hypnotically comforting. I don't claim to be a normal person, but....yeah.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#180 » by Higga » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:40 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
Higga wrote:Playing Hansbrough even one minute is grounds for termination IMO. That guy is awful. Not an NBA player at all. You're literally playing 4 on 5 when he's on the floor.

Interesting. He doesn't look bad to me. His PPA is that of a useful backup PF -- mid-80s each of the past three seasons (where average is 100 and higher is better). Not outstanding by any means, but not bad either.

Just basing it off what I saw during our series. He didn't really do anything but goon it up. He tries really hard but he offers no real skillset. It was hilarious watching him trying to defend and his offensive game looked less polished than Noah's last year.

Return to Washington Wizards