ImageImageImageImageImage

GT#1 Round 1 Wizards vs Raptors 4-18-15 12:30 PM on ESPN @ ACC (Canada Eh)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Re: GT#1 Round 1 Wizards vs Raptors 4-18-15 12:30 PM on ESPN @ ACC (Canada Eh) 

Post#861 » by Illmatic12 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:49 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:Did Otto ditch his glasses?

Yes.

Goggle free Otto can play!

:lol: He's hoping people don't recognize him from Shaqtin a fool.

Seriously though Otto was great out there in his role, and his shot hasn't even started falling yet. Credit to Wittman for playing him WITH Pierce, that lineup was very good defensively against TOR
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Re: GT#1 Round 1 Wizards vs Raptors 4-18-15 12:30 PM on ESPN @ ACC (Canada Eh) 

Post#862 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:02 am

Wow

I had a couple windows open and accidently posted..

"Otto Arrives" in the TOR thread..

And some poster UnderdogRaptors replies " Reported" and two other TOR fans and 1 its. LOL

Are you kidding me ? LOL
DCZards
RealGM
And1: 3,974

Post#863 » by DCZards » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:27 am

hands11 wrote:
Otto did get consistent minutes. 19.4 in 74 games.

What he didn't get was enough starts.

Those are average minutes. There's a difference between consistent minutes and average minutes. Playing 30 minutes in one game and then not playing at all in the next two games is not "consistent" minutes.

I didn't have a problem with OP not starting more games. He didn't start this game but still made a significant contribution. But I did have a problem with Webster getting minutes while Otto sat.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#864 » by dangermouse » Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:45 am

I facepalmed myself to oblivion when i saw the opening lineup. We are just lucky our D was OK and the Raps shots werent falling, they could have run away with it in the first quarter.

The Truth won the game for us. Vintage Pierce.

And I think it was Randy trying out the small ball that kept us in a winnable scenario. Gortat seemed to be struggling against the quicker front court guys. Nene/Piece/Otto/Beal or Sessions/Wall was a lineup that we should have gone to more in the regular season.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#865 » by Tricky_Kid » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:29 am

hands11 wrote:Wow

I had a couple windows open and accidently posted..

"Otto Arrives" in the TOR thread..

And some poster UnderdogRaptors replies " Reported" and two other TOR fans and 1 its. LOL

Are you kidding me ? LOL

Really? Some of them are too sensetive. I still like their boards. they are funny somethimes.

I was laughing at bulls mod who show up there only for writting **** Nene lol they are scared for seeing another abusing of their Fake DPOY whinning Noah :lol:
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#866 » by fishercob » Sun Apr 19, 2015 12:19 pm

An ancillary benefit of PP at the 4 is Nene getting minutes at the backup 5. He's very effective there and I was glad to see Randy using him this way.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
hands11
Banned User

Post#867 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:09 pm

I'm really starting to disrespect this entire organization and many of their fans as low class clowns.

Its just low class what they are doing. Dropping F bomb about franchises and HOF players is low brow, cheap and classless.

The Paul Peirce sucks chat 3 minutes into the game was embarrassing.

One year...last year...I could excuse a one off. But now they are right back at it again ?

Expect the media to start slamming the crap out of them. Chuck is going to eat this up and call them clowns.

That's their GM acting like that ? WOW... Pretty freakn unprofessional..

Bitch about EG.. but at least the dude is professional and show some class. He would never do something like that. And if he did, I would flame the **** out of him for it.

Imagine EG getting up and saying... **** Vince Carter or we don't give a **** about Vince Carter...

Dude. respect the game and its HOF players.

And the TOR fans approve of this crap.. :nonono:

Like I said.. they have now earned the reputation of a scum bag organization..

I hope we SWEEEP their asses.
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 16,013

Post#868 » by dckingsfan » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:17 pm

fishercob wrote:An ancillary benefit of PP at the 4 is Nene getting minutes at the backup 5. He's very effective there and I was glad to see Randy using him this way.

Now he just needs to keep Seraphin off the court.
nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Post#869 » by nuposse04 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:21 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
fishercob wrote:An ancillary benefit of PP at the 4 is Nene getting minutes at the backup 5. He's very effective there and I was glad to see Randy using him this way.

Now he just needs to keep Seraphin off the court.

And Gooden. He got lucky today, but history tells us Gooden isn't a good player.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#870 » by stevemcqueen1 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:24 pm

Ujiri is a good GM but yeah, he's behaved like a clown. The NBA isn't pro-wrestling. Also those comments he made hinting at bringing in Andrew Wiggins... as if the kid was already LeBron James or Kevin Durant... cringeworthy. The fans' inferiority complex about Paul Pierce is embarrassing too. The chants were childish and cheering when he got hurt was trashy.

I watched the Toronto broadcast for part of yesterday's game because I actually like Jack Armstrong. But how much the broadcasters talked up how great the fans were, and how the sideline guy smugly asked Calipari about it... I was embarrassed for them.

There is an echo chamber going on with that franchise and their fan base that gives the organization an air of amateurism. They get great fan participation--that part is terrific. But both the organization and the fan base have a ways to go to become a classy, mature, and knowledgeable group.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#871 » by nuposse04 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:34 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:Ujiri is a good GM but yeah, he's behaved like a clown. The NBA isn't pro-wrestling. Also those comments he made hinting at bringing in Andrew Wiggins... as if the kid was already LeBron James or Kevin Durant... cringeworthy. The fans' inferiority complex about Paul Pierce is embarrassing too. The chants were childish and cheering when he got hurt was trashy.

I watched the Toronto broadcast for part of yesterday's game because I actually like Jack Armstrong. But how much the broadcasters talked up how great the fans were, and how the sideline guy smugly asked Calipari about it... I was embarrassed for them.

There is an echo chamber going on with that franchise and their fan base that gives the organization an air of amateurism. They get great fan participation--that part is terrific. But both the organization and the fan base have a ways to go to become a classy, mature, and knowledgeable group.

The injury part was "classless" but the rest of it is way overplayed and has nothing to do with the outcome of the game. I thankfully didn't watch the TOR feed, but they got some homerism their side as well. As a whole I never thought the Raptors organization was bad from a management standpoint...perhaps more edgy then most people in the US are use to, but quite frankly I rather like the brutal honesty. Tired of talking points PC crap we get fed on the daily.
hands11
Banned User

Post#872 » by hands11 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:57 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:Ujiri is a good GM but yeah, he's behaved like a clown. The NBA isn't pro-wrestling. Also those comments he made hinting at bringing in Andrew Wiggins... as if the kid was already LeBron James or Kevin Durant... cringeworthy. The fans' inferiority complex about Paul Pierce is embarrassing too. The chants were childish and cheering when he got hurt was trashy.

Couldn't have said it better.

They have the support. But this lowbrow approach to stirring them up.. Its just low class. Not sure what his marketing angle is. Is he trying to become the Raiders or a hated bad boy team ? Not trying to dis those two past teams who actually achieved something. But maybe that is his vision. He is trying to be a Al Davis cutting against the grain type.

Market positioning. If you can't win in the playoffs. At least sell more gear. You need an identity to do that. Have them love you or hate you. That is an effective marketing angle because at least they are thinking about you.

Most would say SAS is the class act of the league.... I don't think that is the image they are building. Kind of the opposite.

The image I get about franchise is something along the lines of a college frat party or spring break. Expect a couch burning at any moment if they win a game.

Their GM is doing what he is doing with full knowledge of what he is doing. If thats what he wants the organization image to be and he can make money doing it, I guess that's all that matter. But its cheap. Low class. And disrespectful to a HOF player. Even if that's the image they want, there are classier ways to pull that off. Just come off as amateur hour.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#873 » by Dat2U » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:01 pm

I'I'd still take Ujiri 10 times over 10 over Ernie. Without question. I could care less what Ujiri says at what amounts to a pep rally before the game, it means nothing.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#874 » by nuposse04 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:21 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'I'd still take Ujiri 10 times over 10 over Ernie. Without question. I could care less what Ujiri says at what amounts to a pep rally before the game, it means nothing.

someone intelligent gets it! :P
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#875 » by keynote » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:34 pm

Dat2U wrote:I'I'd still take Ujiri 10 times over 10 over Ernie. Without question. I could care less what Ujiri says at what amounts to a pep rally before the game, it means nothing.

I thought Ujiri crossed a line -- last year and this year. It's fine for players, coaches, even owners (i.e., Cuban) to occasionally act clownish and talk trash. But I don't want our franchise's lead deal maker and negotiator to become the trash-talking face of the franchise: his priority should be to preserve professional relationships with other franchises in order to make deals in the future.

That being said, saying that we'd take him over Ernie is the straw-man-iest of straw men. Of *course* I'd take him over EG. :) But that doesn't change the fact Ujiri's antics might adversely impact his ability to do his job down the road. People can be petty, and Brooklyn's GM just might let Ujiri's next phone call ring a little longer than usual after being on the receiving end of public insults and curses last year.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
nuposse04
RealGM

Post#876 » by nuposse04 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:40 pm

keynote wrote:

I thought Ujiri crossed a line -- last year and this year. It's fine for players, coaches, even owners (i.e., Cuban) to occasionally act clownish and talk trash. But I don't want our franchise's lead deal maker and negotiator to become the trash-talking face of the franchise: his priority should be to preserve professional relationships with other franchises in order to make deals in the future.

That being said, saying that we'd take him over Ernie is the straw-man-iest of straw men. Of *course* I'd take him over EG. :) But that doesn't change the fact Ujiri's antics might adversely impact his ability to do his job down the road. People can be petty, and Brooklyn's GM just might let Ujiri's next phone call ring a little longer than usual after being on the receiving end of public insults and curses last year.

To be frank, if he yelled **** Ernie Grunfeld...I don't think I could ever hate him.

That aside, I seriously doubt any of this matter when orchestrating trades. Not all GMs are choir boys behind closed doors (Danny Ferry apparently is a bit...well...lets say judgmental, but I would LOVE him as our GM, he really does his job well), and they probably all know it. He just chooses not to facade around to some nonsensical societal standards. So long as he commits no crime, his "class" isn't in question.
Tricky_Kid
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#877 » by Tricky_Kid » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:47 pm

keynote wrote:

Great post!. GM can't act like that, just can't. Imagne if ther will be chance to trade something with Brooklyn if I were them I would say to Ujiri **** Toronto. Period.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#878 » by keynote » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:33 pm

nuposse04 wrote:
keynote wrote:That aside, I seriously doubt any of this matter when orchestrating trades. Not all GMs are choir boys behind closed doors (Danny Ferry apparently is a bit...well...lets say judgmental, but I would LOVE him as our GM, he really does his job well), and they probably all know it. He just chooses not to facade around to some nonsensical societal standards. So long as he commits no crime, his "class" isn't in question.

Oh, no doubt, when you offer a guy who dislikes you an offer he likes, he'll probably take it. And yeah, GMs are rough-and-tumble: I'm sure they play psychological games in their own private GM circles. But Ujiri isn't trying to one-up Grunfeld here; he's playing to the crowd. Why take the chance of ticking another GM off, just to earn a few points with the fan base?

Dan Gilbert's comments about LeBron didn't prevent him from signing LeBron a few years later -- but it might've cost him some tiny bit of leverage on related deals. Now, Gilbert's the owner; there's no one for him to answer to but his customers -- and the CLE fanbase appreciated him sticking up for them back when LeBron jilted them. So, perhaps the risk of ticking off LeBron (and losing incremental leverage down the road) was outweighed by currying favor with his customers and preparing them for an ugly rebuild.

But a GM doesn't work for the fans; he works for the boss. And he's in a human relations business. If friendships can lead to deals (many rumored that to be the case in the BOS-MIN Garnett trade); it stands to reason that coming off like a jerk can sour deals. If a GM wants to engage in gamesmanship to set up future transactions; great. But GMs shouldn't insult other teams just to satisfy the crowd.

At this point: Ujiri's gained a rep for this; he thinks it's expected of him. Re: Pierce, he said "I know everybody wants to hear what I think" about Pierce's quote. The fans and media may want to know, but that doesn't mean that he needed to give it to them.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#879 » by closg00 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:36 pm

Wizards game-plan strategy

The confidential formula for Game 1 unfolded at raucous Air Canada Centre. Wittman used Paul Pierce at power forward for long stretches after utilizing the veteran there for just 4 percent of Washington’s regular season minutes. He played Marcin Gortat in the fourth quarter after Gortat was absent following the third period in the teams’ three regular season meetings. He elected Kevin Seraphin as his second man off the bench over Kris Humphries when Gortat encountered foul trouble, and he granted Otto Porter Jr. crunch-time minutes in his playoff debut one month after Porter was buried at the end of the bench.

The unforeseen recipe morphed the Wizards into an unfamiliar unit designed to counter the personnel the Raptors have used to torment them the last two seasons, but it didn’t compromise their strength of stingy defense. The Wizards gladly engaged in a grotesque slugfest, holding the Raptors, who had the NBA’s third-ranked offense during the regular season, to 38 percent shooting, including a combined 8 for 30 from DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry, and under 90 points even with the extra five-minute session while shooting just 39.4 percent themselves.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/wi ... ml?hpid=z4
J-Ves
Veteran
And1: 1,111

Post#880 » by J-Ves » Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:42 pm

Honestly, If Temple was healthy I would start him over Beal. Better defense, worse shooting, less boneheaded TOs, and we guarantee either Ses or Wall are handling the ball at all times. Oh and fewer long twos.

In this series, if we can continue to defend well and keep TOs to a minimum we will win, even if the offense continues to take few threes and few free throws.

Return to Washington Wizards