ImageImageImageImageImage

GT#3 Round 1: Toronto Raptors @ Washington Wizards 4-24-15 8:00PM Verizon Center on ESPN2 | CSNB

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Re: GT#3 Round 1: Toronto Raptors @ Washington Wizards 4-24-1-15 8:00PM Verizon Center on ESPN2 | CSNB 

Post#461 » by Dark Faze » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:33 pm

I was at the game and I thought the crowd was great *shrug*

im legit shocked by how this series has gone though...man
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: GT#3 Round 1: Toronto Raptors @ Washington Wizards 4-24-1-15 8:00PM Verizon Center on ESPN2 | CSNB 

Post#462 » by LyricalRico » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:03 pm

relinquishy wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Wall just can't run an offense late in the game.

Of course he can, it's just that Wittman pretty much played him the entire game and he was gassed.

Agreed, watching the replay they pulled Lowry with over 3 minutes left in the third. Might have been a chance to put in Sessions there, but that would be nitpicking IMO.

I'm not complaining about this Randy. i love this Randy! :D
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#463 » by LyricalRico » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Another takeaway from the replay - lots of missed FTs, at home no less. Make those and maybe those late 3's aren't necessary.

But we don't get a Buck "Dagger!" on FTs, so I'll still take the game the way it happened. :D
20MexicanosIn1Van
Veteran
And1: 318

Post#464 » by 20MexicanosIn1Van » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:21 pm

Dark Faze wrote:I was at the game and I thought the crowd was great *shrug*

im legit shocked by how this series has gone though...man

I thought the crowd was good too. A little quiet at the beginning but people warmed up into it.

There was a group of Toronto fans in one of the 400s section that really instigated all the nearby Wizards fans. We just wanted them to stfu but I enjoyed it. One Toronto fan was wearing a chicken suit lol
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#465 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:51 pm

Game 3 Game Flow.

http://www.popcornmachine.net/gf?date=20150424&game=TORWAS

Two line ups that hurt TOR.

Wall, Beal, Otto, PP, Gortat
Wall, Beal, Otto, Nene, Gortat

+15

With Otto starting next year...we can play those line ups all year. Its just a matter of what they do with Gooden. Do they ride this out or replace him.

Gooden will be 34 in Sept. One more year of Gooden would upset me at all. I like how he fits in as part of their fabric. Can't play PP at S4 all year. It would wear him down. Then we can bring along a draft pick more slowly like we did Otto. Keep building. Rolling rebuild.

Lots of options. Something to think about over the off season. For now, this is fun to watch. But wish we would have seen more Gooden at S4 during the year. That said, winning more would have had us in the CLE bracket. I like this bracket for us better.

TOR is the perfect warm up for ATL and if we get through that, we will be our most prepared for CLE or CHI. Works out perfectly really. CLE vs CHI next series is going to be awesome to watch.

And, PP is fresher not having played S4 all year. And there is less game tape on us doing it at all. Not even with Gooden. And Gooden is freah. And Otto has to be flying on cloud 9 riding this momentum. This is working out awesome actually.

So sometime better moves are worse and worse is better.

They have a legit path to a title game .. lots has to go right of course but its there in front of them. I'm sure Paul is planting just the right amount of seeds. Actually, he has been all year. From the start he has been saying..

Why not us..
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#466 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:03 pm

hands11 wrote:Its just a matter of what they do with Gooden. Do they ride this out or replace him.

Gooden will be 34 in Sept. One more year of Gooden would upset me at all. I like how he fits in as part of their fabric. Can't play PP at S4 all year. It would wear him down. Then we can bring along a draft pick more slowly like we did Otto. Keep building. Rolling rebuild

I think the solution is to keep Gooden for one more year but also draft a stretch four for the future. The draft pick probably wouldn't play many meaningful minutes in his rookie year, but will hopefully learn enough in practice and in garbage time to take over as a rotation player in 2016. Basically, put him on the Otto Porter development plan.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#467 » by hands11 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:25 pm

nate33 wrote:
hands11 wrote:Its just a matter of what they do with Gooden. Do they ride this out or replace him.

Gooden will be 34 in Sept. One more year of Gooden would upset me at all. I like how he fits in as part of their fabric. Can't play PP at S4 all year. It would wear him down. Then we can bring along a draft pick more slowly like we did Otto. Keep building. Rolling rebuild

I think the solution is to keep Gooden for one more year but also draft a stretch four for the future. The draft pick probably wouldn't play many meaningful minutes in his rookie year, but will hopefully learn enough in practice and in garbage time to take over as a rotation player in 2016. Basically, put him on the Otto Porter development plan.

We agree. That would be great if they can pull that off. But if not Gooden, hopefully they can find someone similar. Gooden is a UFA. We might be in for a TA thing again.

Its a huge thing for a franchise to get stable enough to do that though. Then eventually, Wall, Beal and Otto.. They will be those vets and the need for PP and Gooden types will be less. That's the path I saw this rebuild going in. And so far, its working out.

That's a good way to build a stable long term successful franchise. Win and groom at the same time. Keep it rolling. Its why ( right or wrong ) they were willing to forgo adding to many more young pieces last year and the year before.

Wall and Beal and now Otto are gaining great playoff experience. Another year of this and they should be set well. That path all started back when they got Nene and then went after Okafor and TA. They couldn't save everyone, but they did save the most valuable pieces. Should be interesting to see if Kevin can be salvaged as well. The young man does have some talent and to me he seem right on the edge. I have to imagine him seeing Otto get to where he is so quick has to have him rethinking things if you understand what I'm getting at. Seeing Otto doing what he is doing might help Kevin focus his mind. Because that's all that's really stopping him. He has the skills and he has the body.

Don't be shocked if you see Kevin have a really solid game in these playoffs at some point.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#468 » by nate33 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:35 pm

I don't think it'll be difficult to retain Gooden. He was available last summer after a pretty good end-of-season run and nobody wanted him. I don't see why that's going to change this year after he is another year older. At worst, we may have to pay him the BAE instead of the vet minimum.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#469 » by sfam » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:58 pm

Every now and then I get indications of my evil tendancies in enjoying others misery. Today for instance, I've really enjoyed going to online Toronto newspapers to read the comments section of today's "We really suck" articles. Truly enjoyable stuff. How often to do see so many people despairing over a Washington sports team?

Everyone has to go according to their posts. Yes, its kind of cruel, but oh so enjoyable!
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#470 » by pineappleheadindc » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:17 pm

sfam wrote:Every now and then I get indications of my evil tendancies in enjoying others misery. Today for instance, I've really enjoyed going to online Toronto newspapers to read the comments section of today's "We really suck" articles. Truly enjoyable stuff. How often to do see so many people despairing over a Washington sports team?

Everyone has to go according to their posts. Yes, its kind of cruel, but oh so enjoyable!

Not a good posts unless links are included.

:nod:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#471 » by sfam » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:28 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:
sfam wrote:Every now and then I get indications of my evil tendancies in enjoying others misery. Today for instance, I've really enjoyed going to online Toronto newspapers to read the comments section of today's "We really suck" articles. Truly enjoyable stuff. How often to do see so many people despairing over a Washington sports team?

The best whining is definitely here:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/24/raptors-fall-behind-3-0-in-series-after-loss-to-wizards-in-washington
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#472 » by JWizmentality » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:48 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbIR51_J_qY[/youtube]
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,334

Post#473 » by dobrojim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:52 pm

nate33 wrote:Gortat has 24 points, 12 boards, 5 assists and 3 blocks.

on 11-15 shooting
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dobrojim
RealGM

Re: Re: GT#3 Round 1: Toronto Raptors @ Washington Wizards 4-24-1-15 8:00PM Verizon Center on ESPN2 | CSNB 

Post#474 » by dobrojim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
80sballboy wrote:Beal and Wall a combined 9 for 27 and we still win. Thanks to Gortat, PP and OP.

That's no small point.

I really liked the help defense by Porter, Gortat, and even Gooden.

Gortat played a terrific game. Porter in the fourth was outstanding.

If the bigs can keep this up Washington is going to give Atlanta a good challenge

ATL just lost game 3 at BKN. Teague and Korver both shot horribly. They're not invincible.

JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#475 » by JWizmentality » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:58 pm

sfam wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:

The best whining is definitely here:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/24/raptors-fall-behind-3-0-in-series-after-loss-to-wizards-in-washington

Nothing in that comment section but a bunch of hate filled rubbish.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#476 » by dobrojim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:02 pm

dckingsfan wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:

Love Gortat's expression

I forget if it was after this one or the earlier one that he hit late in the 4thQ but
PP also went right over to the front row seats where Drake was sitting to talk
smack. Funny thing is if he does it to the TOR bench, it's a T, but he can talk
smack to Drake sitting in the front row all he wants. LOL

That's why I am here!

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#477 » by dobrojim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:06 pm

relinquishy wrote:

Of course he can, it's just that Wittman pretty much played him the entire game and he was gassed.

If Wall came out in the 2nd half it must have been early in the 3rd Q and I don't think he did.
Wizards/Wall knew they owed our fans a home win as well as the fact that going up 3-0
is for all intents and purposes, ending the series. At worst TOR wins the next 2 and
we win in 6. But more likely we just end it all on Sunday.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#478 » by dobrojim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:10 pm

GhostsOfGil wrote:I watched the game at a bar so I couldn't hear the crowd. How loud did the vc get?

I'd say really loud. But the funny thing is the crowd tended to ignore attempts by the Wiz hosts
to hype things up. But they would respond really strongly to a good play.

On the play when OP got racked, when he finally got up and walked off court the crowd
spontaneously started an Ot-to Port-er chant. We had a good to great crowd I would say.
Not a whole lot of empty seats either.

dobrojim
RealGM

Re: Re: GT#3 Round 1: Toronto Raptors @ Washington Wizards 4-24-1-15 8:00PM Verizon Center on ESPN2 | CSNB 

Post#479 » by dobrojim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:13 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
relinquishy wrote:

It's not like Sessions is a great backup.

I criticized Wall and Beal after the fourth quarter of game one. Since then I have ZERO complaints. After three games, I am happy with Wall and Beal. Their intensity has been high. They are getting it done.

Wall's mistakes clearly occurred when he was tired. After every timeout tonight, he ran a nice set. Wall consistently found Gortat inside. He even found Beal at the basket.

One key play that got momentum started in the fourth is when Wall got the and-1 after attacking the basket.

Despite heavy minutes, Wall closed strong. He has been an amazing playmaker the past two games. He's also given tremendous effort on defense.

It's nice to see this!

I hope to see Sessions do something positive in game four. Wall and Beal won't be able to play so many minutes against the Hawks.

Last 2 games Wall has put up CP3 in his prime type numbers. 19-15 last game with great defense.
You kidding me. He has fully arrived even if his shooting isn't always there.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#480 » by dobrojim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:17 pm

Dat2U wrote:I must say the team that went 46-36 in a weak East is not the team we are right now. Pierce at the 4 & Porter morphing into a prime Tayshaun Prince makes us so much more dangerous as team. I don't know if we can beat Atlanta who's been great most of the year but I know we can push them to the limit playing the way we are right now.

If Wall plays at this level, we definitely will have a shot. Teague played great against us this year
and was a major key for their wins against us. Swing that matchup in our favor and things could
well change. Big thing against any team we play is not turning the ball over and allowing our
D a chance to get stops. Grind them down defensively. Any game we turn the ball over 15 or less,
we should have a chance to win.

Return to Washington Wizards