-nate33
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Re: Random Thoughts Thread Part 4 

Post#82 » by Higga » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Dat Game of Thrones ending though :(
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#83 » by pineappleheadindc » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:32 pm

Woo! I'm going to be in Vegas during part of the NBA summer league. I'll get to see the Wizards last two first-round games.

:nod:
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#84 » by Higga » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:05 pm

Why are there so many old bumped threads? Is that a thing now?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#85 » by fishercob » Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:21 pm

Higga wrote:Why are there so many old bumped threads? Is that a thing now?

Because FIsh was having a crummy morning and decided to go for a stroll down memory lane.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#86 » by fishercob » Mon Jun 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Over under on site crashes between now and and the end of the free agency moratorium on 7/8?
— Steve Martin
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#87 » by Rafael122 » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:46 pm

fishercob wrote:Over under on site crashes between now and and the end of the free agency moratorium on 7/8?

1. I say it crashes on draft night, sadly. :(
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Higga
Lead Assistant

Post#88 » by Higga » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:15 pm

Who has two thumbs and attended the Nats no hitter? This guy. :D
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#89 » by Dat2U » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:06 pm

pineappleheadindc wrote:Woo! I'm going to be in Vegas during part of the NBA summer league. I'll get to see the Wizards last two first-round games.

Hey Pine... Looks like I'll be there around the same time. We gotta link up!
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#90 » by pineappleheadindc » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:01 pm

Dat2U wrote:
pineappleheadindc wrote:Woo! I'm going to be in Vegas during part of the NBA summer league. I'll get to see the Wizards last two first-round games.

Hey Pine... Looks like I'll be there around the same time. We gotta link up!

Absolutely I'm in on the 12th and will probably head straight to the gym to hit their Sunday game....I think it starts at 1:00 p.m.

Probably next week, I'll pm you my contact info and we'll meet up at the game!
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man
And1: 26

Post#91 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:52 am

Higga wrote:Who has two thumbs and attended the Nats no hitter? This guy. :D

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkkvvjsqpAc[/youtube]

Who does Dave Grohl give a shout out to at the 05:28 - 05:35 mark of this video during a recent concert over at the Verizon Center?
Me and my crew. :D
There were over 100 of us but anyone who was there during those days knows exactly who he is talking about.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#92 » by montestewart » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:38 am

Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:

Who does Dave Grohl give a shout out to at the 05:28 - 05:35 mark of this video during a recent concert over at the Verizon Center?
There were over 100 of us but anyone who was there during those days knows exactly who he is talking about.

I like the shout out he gave you at the 6:50 - 6:55 mark
I love coming home, but I don't want it to be the same [effing] place that it was twenty years ago…

When a big rock star from DC comes back to DC and personally performs an intervention from the stage for a fellow Springfieldinionian, that's soul deep, brother. That's respect.
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#93 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:27 pm

montestewart wrote:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:

I love coming home, but I don't want it to be the same [effing] place that it was twenty years ago…

When a big rock star from DC comes back to DC and personally performs an intervention from the stage for a fellow Springfieldinionian, that's soul deep, brother. That's respect.

I moved on from that whole scene years ago.

The Georgetown Station Break/Time-Out was my home turf.
I only went to Springfield Mall on the weekends.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#94 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:45 pm

montestewart wrote:
Wes_Tiny_Abe_ wrote:

I think the actual shoutout comes at 7:20.
— Steve Martin
Wes_Tiny_Abe_
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by Wes_Tiny_Abe_ » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Yeah man f*ck 20, 30, 40 & 50 years ago ago!
Washington DC is so much better right now.

Have you been to downtown DC recently?
IT SUCKS!!!!!
BORING!!!!!
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#96 » by montestewart » Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:21 pm

Nice "suspend me now, before I post again" flag, WTA
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#97 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:42 am

Rebel flag now. Ummm kay....
Bye bye Beal.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#98 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:50 am

montestewart wrote:Nice "suspend me now, before I post again" flag, WTA

Wes has to stay in character, monte.

Bear in mind that WTA's online persona only associates the Stars and Bars with Skynyrd concerts and his Dukes of Hazzard lunchbox.

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Disgusting yups.
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#99 » by nate33 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:45 pm

Interestingly, the design of the confederate flag was deliberately altered to be more inclusive of Jews and Protestants. The original flag had a traditional cross, but William Miles, the Jewish southerner who chaired the flag design committee, convinced the committee to adopt his modification, which incorporated a diagonal cross to make it less conspicuously Catholic.

William Miles’s disappointment with the Stars and Bars went beyond his strong ideological objections to the Stars and Stripes. He had hoped that the Confederacy would adopt his own design for a national flag-the pattern that later generations mistakenly and ironically insisted on calling the Stars and Bars. … Charles Moise, a self-described “southerner of Jewish persuasion,” wrote Miles and other members of the South Carolina delegation asking that “the symbol of a particular religion” not be made the symbol of the nation.

In adapting his flag to take these criticisms into account, Miles removed the palmetto tree and crescent and substituted a diagonal cross for the St. George’s cross. Recalling (and sketching) his proposal a few months later, Miles explained that the diagonal cross was preferable because “it avoided the religious objection about the cross (from the Jews & many Protestant sects), because it did not stand out so conspicuously as if the cross had been placed upright thus.” … If Miles had not been eager to conciliate southern Jews, the traditional Latin (or St. George’s) cross would have adorned his flag.
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#100 » by Severn Hoos » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:09 pm

Congratulations to the Virginia Cavaliers, the 2015 NCAA Champions for Baseball!

This team is a great story - from losing in heartbreaking fashion last year, starting out this season on fire but hitting the skids due to injury and inexperience, then being so far down that they were in danger of not even making the conference tournament. (who knew that was even possible - can you imagine that in basketball?) They rallied just enough to get into the ACC Tournament, where they fell flat, but that was enough to get an invite to the big dance. They were given a 3 seed, which might sound pretty good until you realize that instead of 4 regions like in basketball, there are 16. So that 3 seed would be more like a 10 or 11 in the Basketball tourney. And, they had to travel cross-country to face off against 3 teams from Cali on their turf. But somehow they just kept winning. (sorry, Terps fans...)

They were the biggest underdogs in Omaha, no one gave them a chance there. But they kept on, taking down the mighty Gators by gutting out the last game after being blown out the night before. And who was waiting for them? The same Vandy team that ended their season last year. And Game 1 wasn't pretty. But again, they gutted out the Game 2 victory, and broke through in Game 3 for their 7th come from behind win in 10 CWS games. And to make it all the more sweeter, on the mound at the end was Nathan Kirby. Virginia's star pitcher was recently selected 40th overall in the MLB draft, but his lowest point had to be game 1 of the 2014 CWS, when he simply couldn't find the plate. He walked 5 batters in the 3rd inning that night, 3 with the bases loaded. And the heavily favored Cavs would go on to lose in 3 games to the Commodores.

Then, Kirby got hurt this year and missed a lot of time - it looked like his season was done. He would be remembered mostly for that one inning, and that would be such a shame. But he worked and got back to the team in time to pitch in Omaha, and had the honor of throwing the last pitch in the College World Series. I actually choked up a bit as I followed the game on my phone, knowing what it meant to him to be there and to get a second chance.

There's Josh Sborz, the closer who pitched two FOUR inning saves in the last four games. Ever heard of a closer who goes 4 innings? 13 total innings in CWS, without giving up a run - no wonder he was the MVP. And Kenny Towns, from my HS (Lake Braddock represent!), with the best Brooks Robinson impression you'll ever see from a college kid. And in the middle of it all, Oak - Coach O'Connor, such a steady presence. I really believe we have the best baseball coach in the NCAA, and the best basketball coach, especially given their respective ages. Looking forward to the future of Cavalier athletics (well, we can always hope for football...) and have to share Zim's sentiments here:

Great team, great guys, great coach. That's what the NCAA is supposed to be about, and I couldn't be prouder of my alma mater -these guys represented her well.

Way to go HOOS!

Return to Washington Wizards