ImageImageImageImageImage

Ted Leonsis on Mystics Analytic Scrimmage 5/26/15

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Ted Leonsis on Mystics Analytic Scrimmage 5/26/15 

Post#1 » by hands11 » Wed May 27, 2015 7:30 am

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/ted-leonsis-on-mystics-analytic-scrimmage-5-26-15

Ted starts off mentioning adding a DL team eventually but right now they are going to use to WNBA to test analytic ideas.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,873

Re: Ted Leonsis on Mystics Analytic Scrimmage 5/26/15 

Post#2 » by payitforward » Wed May 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Nice to see he's keeping the weight off.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#3 » by MikeTheKid » Wed May 27, 2015 3:47 pm

Its a small start
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#4 » by closg00 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:05 pm

You listen to Ted talk, he's so smooth & seemingly very knowledgable when discussing performance matrix's etc. Yet, he leaves Ernie Grunfeld in-charge of talent evaluation decisions.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#5 » by TGW » Wed May 27, 2015 4:14 pm

closg00 wrote:You listen to Ted talk, he's so smooth & seemingly very knowledgable when discussing performance matrix's etc. Yet, he leaves Ernie Grunfeld in-charge of talent evaluation decisions.

yea, and wittman as coach, who despises analytics
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#6 » by gtn130 » Wed May 27, 2015 4:39 pm

I have the feeling that Leonsis is much more of a hands-on owner than he's perceived to be. Wizards' improvement in the analytics arena will coincide with Leonsis learning more about basketball.

A few years ago he thought Wall/Nick Young/Andray Blatche would be the next Big Three in DC.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#7 » by Dat2U » Wed May 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Analytic scrimmage? Huh? Not sure what can actually be gleamed from a scrimmage involving women who aren't going full speed. Seems like a big showcase to say 'here, look we take analytics seriously but in reality we really have no clue what were doing.'

I know if I was focusing on analytics... I'd much rather work with REAL game data involving MEN...But hey, what do I know?
closg00
RealGM

Post#8 » by closg00 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:45 pm

gtn130 wrote:I have the feeling that Leonsis is much more of a hands-on owner than he's perceived to be. Wizards' improvement in the analytics arena will coincide with Leonsis learning more about basketball.

A few years ago he thought Wall/Nick Young/Andray Blatche would be the next Big Three in DC.

This^ is Ted regurgitating what Grunfeld is spoon-feeding him, he does this often if you follow what he says..there appears to be a lack of connecting the dots when something fails spectacularly .
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#9 » by gtn130 » Wed May 27, 2015 5:54 pm

closg00 wrote:
gtn130 wrote:I have the feeling that Leonsis is much more of a hands-on owner than he's perceived to be. Wizards' improvement in the analytics arena will coincide with Leonsis learning more about basketball.

This^ is Ted regurgitating what Grunfeld is spoon-feeding him, he does this often if you follow what he says..there appears to be a lack of connecting the dots when something fails spectacularly .

We're all just speculating, but I don't think Ted believes EG is a really good GM. EG is an inexpensive yes man. Ted also values continuity.

I think EG and Wittman are the old school anti-analytics guys and Leonsis is the one pushing for more analytics -- it's good for PR and Leonsis has no reason to have any bias towards old school basketball.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#10 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed May 27, 2015 6:06 pm

The Wizards have some good analytics people on the payroll. There seems to be a disconnect between the work the analytics guys do and the application of that work. From my own (brief) experience working with the front office, the tendency seemed to be to pick one piece of information that supported what decision-makers already believed and then that piece was flogged beyond all recognition.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
closg00
RealGM

Post#11 » by closg00 » Wed May 27, 2015 6:30 pm

gtn130 wrote:
closg00 wrote:

We're all just speculating, but I don't think Ted believes EG is a really good GM. EG is an inexpensive yes man. Ted also values continuity.

I think EG and Wittman are the old school anti-analytics guys and Leonsis is the one pushing for more analytics -- it's good for PR and Leonsis has no reason to have any bias towards old school basketball.

Yup, familiarity, comfort, and continuity. In the video he talked about the relationship he already had with this couple? that was undertaking this project. Ted's son works for the org as did Randy and Wes's son. When Ernie's son is done playing ball in Israel, you can bet that he will have an FO position somewhere. Mom and Pop shop just like MJ said.
TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,890

Post#12 » by TGW » Wed May 27, 2015 7:20 pm

Dat2U wrote:Analytic scrimmage? Huh? Not sure what can actually be gleamed from a scrimmage involving women who aren't going full speed. Seems like a big showcase to say 'here, look we take analytics seriously but in reality we really have no clue what were doing.'

I know if I was focusing on analytics... I'd much rather work with REAL game data involving MEN...But hey, what do I know?

hahaha I legitimately laughed at this
Some random troll wrote:Not to sound negative, but this team is owned by an arrogant cheapskate, managed by a moron and coached by an idiot. Recipe for disaster.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#13 » by TheSecretWeapon » Wed May 27, 2015 7:50 pm

In general, I'm in favor of analytics experiments. As a PR guy, I do wonder about the notion Leonsis asserts several times, that having WNBA players conduct analytics experiments on behalf of the NBA team is somehow showing respect to the WNBA. I don't really see that.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#14 » by Ruzious » Wed May 27, 2015 8:19 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:In general, I'm in favor of analytics experiments. As a PR guy, I do wonder about the notion Leonsis asserts several times, that having WNBA players conduct analytics experiments on behalf of the NBA team is somehow showing respect to the WNBA. I don't really see that.

If anything, it makes them sound like lab rats.

I'm a little skeptical of the value. I'm not sure it's safe to assume that what works in the women's game automatically works in the men's game.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,220

Post#15 » by MikeTheKid » Wed May 27, 2015 8:37 pm

I would hope the test scrimmage in the WNBA would lead to Wiz summer league analytics testings

Return to Washington Wizards