Kelly Oubre

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

BruceO
Sixth Man
And1: 311

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#521 » by BruceO » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:44 am

payitforward wrote:Interesting...

No matter how many times I look at what Atlanta did, I still can't figure it out. The trade with us, and the subsequent trade of the #19 pick for Tim Hardaway Jr.

With all the competition to move up and grab Oubre, they got a journeyman and two R2 picks out of it? What am I missing?

Rashad Vaughan. I think milwaukee was going to get oubre but hadn't shown interest in Vaughan. Atlanta trades down a few spots while still trying to get Vaughan. Milwaukee cheated out of the player they want in turn cheats Atlanta out of the player hey were trading down for. Atlanta is left without the prospect they wanted to fill a shooting guard need so trades for a young one.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#522 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:10 pm

BruceO wrote:

No matter how many times I look at what Atlanta did, I still can't figure it out. The trade with us, and the subsequent trade of the #19 pick for Tim Hardaway Jr.

With all the competition to move up and grab Oubre, they got a journeyman and two R2 picks out of it? What am I missing?

Rashad Vaughan. I think milwaukee was going to get oubre but hadn't shown interest in Vaughan. Atlanta trades down a few spots while still trying to get Vaughan. Milwaukee cheated out of the player they want in turn cheats Atlanta out of the player hey were trading down for. Atlanta is left without the prospect they wanted to fill a shooting guard need so trades for a young one.

I gotta admit, the Vaughan pick shocked me - but could very well be a smart pick by the Bucks. I assumed he was a late first/early second rounder. I don't think Oubre could have slid to Milwaukee.

I totally agree with PIF on Atlanta. They bleeped up. They could/should have gotten more in the trade down and should have kept the pick rather than trade it for Hardaway. Hardaway is the classic case of a player a casual fan would overrate. He passes all of the eye tests, he's got a pretty 3 point shot, and he loves to shoot - and his father was a great scorer. Howevuh, he's not a very good basketball player. Grant would have been a nice pick for them, but PORTIS I think would have been perfect for them. He'd fit perfectly next to either Horford or Splitter. I supposed they're going to be using Millsap at the 3. I might have leaned toward keeping Carroll if that's the case - but that's a tossup - I can't fault them for keeping Millsap.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,363

Post#523 » by verbal8 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:47 pm

Ruzious wrote:
BruceO wrote:

I gotta admit, the Vaughan pick shocked me - but could very well be a smart pick by the Bucks. I assumed he was a late first/early second rounder. I don't think Oubre could have slid to Milwaukee.

I totally agree with PIF on Atlanta. They bleeped up. They could/should have gotten more in the trade down and should have kept the pick rather than trade it for Hardaway. Hardaway is the classic case of a player a casual fan would overrate. He passes all of the eye tests, he's got a pretty 3 point shot, and he loves to shoot - and his father was a great scorer. Howevuh, he's not a very good basketball player. Grant would have been a nice pick for them, but PORTIS I think would have been perfect for them. He'd fit perfectly next to either Horford or Splitter. I supposed they're going to be using Millsap at the 3. I might have leaned toward keeping Carroll if that's the case - but that's a tossup - I can't fault them for keeping Millsap.

In theory what they did was slick. Getting a couple picks for moving back without missing much talent. However the implementation was a major fail.

I agree they must have been targeting someone like Vaughn. I can't see Hardaway being plan A.

However I think with the 19th pick: Portis, Justin Anderson, Grant or even Delon Wright would have been better options. I could see the appeal of Hardaway after his promising rookie year, however I think his performance last year and only having 2 years of his rookie contract left should have severely hampered his trade value. Delon Wright at 23 probably has the least upside, but if he worked out he would be under a cheap contract for 4 years. The rest of the options would have significantly more upside than Hardaway.

I don't recall the timing of the move - was it done before the Wizards pick?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#524 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:06 pm

verbal8 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
BruceO wrote:

In theory what they did was slick. Getting a couple picks for moving back without missing much talent. However the implementation was a major fail.

I agree they must have been targeting someone like Vaughn. I can't see Hardaway being plan A.

However I think with the 19th pick: Portis, Justin Anderson, Grant or even Delon Wright would have been better options. I could see the appeal of Hardaway after his promising rookie year, however I think his performance last year and only having 2 years of his rookie contract left should have severely hampered his trade value. Delon Wright at 23 probably has the least upside, but if he worked out he would be under a cheap contract for 4 years. The rest of the options would have significantly more upside than Hardaway.

I don't recall the timing of the move - was it done before the Wizards pick?

Yeah, I was watching on tv, and the tv guys said the Wiz acquired the pick right about when Oubre was announced as the pick. But the Hardaway trade - I don't think was announced until after Grant was picked. Speaking of the Knicks, I liked them getting both Grant and Porzingis. But I think the free agents they picked up will just make them mediocre. Then again, they've traded away next year's 1st rounder (to Toronto or Denver - depending on records), so they might as well try to make the playoffs this season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#525 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:30 pm

Mediocre would be a cataclysmic improvement for the Knicks. If they could get to just bad, that'd be significant progress.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#526 » by Dat2U » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:02 pm

No one the Knicks acquired this off-season will make them mediocre. Unless were changing the definition of what mediocre really means.
manifested
Sophomore
And1: 44

Post#527 » by manifested » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:23 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sons-of-katrina--eddie-lacy--others-recall-experiences-during-deadly-hurricane-001741223.html

Kelly Oubre is one of the athletes profiled in this look back on Katrina. Here's a sample:

Question: You were 9 years old at the time of Hurricane Katrina. What do you remember about how your family responded to the news that the storm was coming?

Oubre: We got out of there before the eye of the storm hit. The next day my dad turned on the news and we saw tragedy, people dying and people losing their houses, people losing their families through evacuation. I had a stepmom at the time and she was crying.

I was 9. I didn't know what was going on. I didn't know what a hurricane was. I was kind of clueless. I couldn't really help. I could be there emotionally. But it was kind of tough just seeing people cry who were close to you. I tried to get through it by being as tough as I could be.

Goes on to talk about moving to Houston, New Orleans as his home, and getting tickets when the Wizards play the Pelicans.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#528 » by Illmatic12 » Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:01 pm

Article on Oubre with some exciting quotes from the rookie:

Kelly Oubre Is Next Washington Wizard to Chase His Own Upside

In addition to sharpening his offensive skills over the summer, Oubre also noted he's put on 10 pounds and improved his conditioning for the uptempo NBA pace.

"We're a running a team," said Oubre. "John [Wall] is one of the fastest—is the fastest—point guard in the league. So we're running, that's my job—I get paid to run."

"That will be deadly," said Oubre. "John: 1, Brad: 2, me: 3, Otto [Porter]: stretch. Otto is 6'9". He can play the 4."

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#529 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:53 am

Kid doesn't lack for confidence.
Bye bye Beal.
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 936

Post#530 » by WallToWall » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:14 am

Hope this kid can back it up, otherwise it will be one rude awakening.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#531 » by keynote » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:55 pm

In addition to sharpening his offensive skills over the summer, Oubre also noted he's put on 10 pounds and improved his conditioning for the uptempo NBA pace.

:o

BTW, I keep waiting for a similar "10-15 lbs of muscle" article to come out on Otto. :pray:
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,270

Post#532 » by doclinkin » Fri Sep 18, 2015 4:03 pm

keynote wrote:

BTW, I keep waiting for a similar "10-15 lbs of muscle" article to come out on Otto. :pray:

Not gonna happen. Look at his legs. He's just not the type who can add significant weight. Doesn't matter, he plays strong for his build, not scared of contact, slippery on the interior with wiry strength, but adding bulk just ain't in the cards for Otto.
keynote
General Manager

Post#533 » by keynote » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:07 pm

doclinkin wrote:
keynote wrote:

Not gonna happen. Look at his legs. He's just not the type who can add significant weight. Doesn't matter he plays strong for his build, not scared of contact and slippery on the interior with wiry strength, but adding bulk just ain't in the cards for Otto.

I don't need Porter to turn into Ant Mason. But is 10 lbs too much to ask? Can he at least get to Tyson Chandler status?

Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,458

Post#534 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Those are some serious bird legs he's got there.

Was that photo recent?
In Rizzo we trust
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#535 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:58 am

Bird Man! Bird Man!

I laugh every time I hear Shaq say that.

"Do not despise these small beginnings, for the Lord rejoices to see the work begin,"
"Be the change you want to be."
Bye bye Beal.
keynote
General Manager

Post#536 » by keynote » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:30 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KELLYOUBREJR/status/645615433173876736[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KELLYOUBREJR/status/645647485256511489[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KELLYOUBREJR/status/645660019703324672[/tweet]
Sluggerface
Bench Warmer
And1: 510

Post#537 » by Sluggerface » Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:06 am

It's nice to see him getting integrated into the local sports culture so quickly. I always like guys that make an effort to support local teams.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#538 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Oct 6, 2015 1:21 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/651158690993541122[/tweet]
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#539 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 6, 2015 2:56 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/651158690993541122[/tweet]

That's a great thing to hear from Beal. And that backcourt of Beal and Wall is great defensively when they clamp down. That's 4 perimeter guys who can defend at a very high level. Up front, it's not as good. Gortat is solid, but the others have issues. Hopefully Nene has something left in the tank. Dudley plays good team defense, but with his lack of length, he'll be abused by the good big PF's - even if there is a shortage of them.

And it'll be interesting to see how much Oubre plays shooting guard in preseason. That could give him significantly more playing time this season.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,298

Post#540 » by dobrojim » Tue Oct 6, 2015 3:48 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/WashWizards/status/651158690993541122[/tweet]

Hopefully this is really true (I think it probably is) and that the result of this will be
that guys like Beal will become better offensive players from having had to play
against the OPs and KOs of the world in practice.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards