Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,350

Re: Kelly Oubre 

Post#941 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:40 am

nate33 wrote:
tontoz wrote:
nate33 wrote:I think he'll be a better shooter than Ariza, and probably a better slasher when attacking the closeout, but in general I agree. Another comparison is a healthy Martell Webster, though he'll be a better defender.

Good call on Webster with D. Webster wasn't as bad off the dribble as Ariza but was not creating much off the dribble. He either shot 3s or attacked the rim.

Yeah, he's like halfway between Ariza and Webster.

Webster was the #6 pick in the 2005 NBA draft (the Blazers traded out of the #3, passing on Deron Williams) and Ariza was a 2nd round pick so yeah Oubre's kind of in between that in terms of a prospect. Oubre still has a ways to go to get to Webster's 3 point shot, but as you mentioned is a better defender and also a better rebounder.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#942 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 am

tontoz wrote:Ariza had 3 straight sub 50% TS seasons before he came here. His career high from 3 was 33.4% before he came here.

True, Ariza wasn't lights out shooter from 3. Although he did have a couple of postseasons where he shot 40% from 3.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#943 » by Kanyewest » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:57 am

Illmatic12 wrote:True , I forgot the timeline of when Ariza really improved his 3pt shot.

Still, Kelly isn't as good as Ariza currently. I think he's on a path to be though . When he has his feet set his 3pt shot looks very good

Agreed. Oubre is ahead of Ariza when he was 20 but still has a long way to go to reach Ariza's current level of play.
lastemp3ror
Junior
And1: 107

Post#944 » by lastemp3ror » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:07 pm

I think Ariza is the closest example of what Oubre could be. He will obviously be a 3 and D player. However, I think Oubre's potential won't reach Ariza's prime level of play. Not that Ariza was good at taking the ball the hoop but when Oubre does it, it may be the worst form I have ever seen. The way he releases the ball it looks like he is holding the ball with the back of his hands and is tossing up a prayer, when he is two feet from the rim....and then it gets blocked.
deneem4
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,255

Post#945 » by deneem4 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:02 pm

They're talking about offensive pgs can't be stopped nowadays because of pnrs... on the general board ...can some one point oubre vs Thomas in the 4th in our blackout game...
Pay your beals....or its lights out!!!
Bron, Bosh, Wade is like Mike, Hakeem, barkley...3 top 5 picks from same draft
mike, hakeem and Barkley on the same team!!!!
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#946 » by NatP4 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:45 pm

bump because people are sleeping on this kid again, gonna have a big second half of the season, and will be our X factor in the playoffs

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,526

Post#947 » by closg00 » Sat Mar 4, 2017 2:09 pm

To the guys who wanted Porter on draft night, he has stepped-up since getting starter minutes and he is contributing now. KO may still pan-out to be a fine player eventually, but I still think Porter group is on solid ground with respect to that draft night.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#948 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Mar 4, 2017 6:46 pm

closg00 wrote:To the guys who wanted Porter on draft night, he has stepped-up since getting starter minutes and he is contributing now. KO may still pan-out to be a fine player eventually, but I still think Porter group is on solid ground with respect to that draft night.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The good news is that we did draft Porter. :D
Saqs
Sophomore
And1: 19

Post#949 » by Saqs » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:51 am

KO won the game for us tonight IMO.
benb331
Pro Prospect
And1: 314

Post#950 » by benb331 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:52 am

And @ CLE.

Oubre identifies as a defensive ace, just like AFM identifies as <censored>.
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Post#951 » by NatP4 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:55 am

Otto and Kelly combined for 30&9 tonight.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#952 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:31 pm

One reason for Oubre's improved play is that he was working with his trainer before the road trip.

The 21-year-old Wizards player belonged with this group — until you noticed the basketball trainer sitting in the back of the room and waiting to put Oubre through a workout on his day off.

“That’s why I’m here for right now,” said Drew Hanlen, who flew in from Los Angeles to squeeze in time with Oubre before the team’s five-game road trip, “to make sure he continues to buy in, accept and excel on the defensive end and then also continue to grow on the offensive end so that he can become that two-way player.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2017/03/27/art-school-is-where-wizards-most-colorful-character-can-truly-express-himself/
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,050

Post#953 » by queridiculo » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:50 pm

Kanyewest wrote:One reason for Oubre's improved play is that he was working with his trainer before the road trip.

The 21-year-old Wizards player belonged with this group — until you noticed the basketball trainer sitting in the back of the room and waiting to put Oubre through a workout on his day off.

“That’s why I’m here for right now,” said Drew Hanlen, who flew in from Los Angeles to squeeze in time with Oubre before the team’s five-game road trip, “to make sure he continues to buy in, accept and excel on the defensive end and then also continue to grow on the offensive end so that he can become that two-way player.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wizards-insider/wp/2017/03/27/art-school-is-where-wizards-most-colorful-character-can-truly-express-himself/

It's not really the first time, Hanlen regularly works with Oubre as evidenced by this whole 40 year old dudes at the YMCA incident.

He seems to take his craft seriously that's for sure.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#954 » by AFM » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:51 pm

Also he read my post about T levels and ejaculation, and has been refraining from orgasm.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#955 » by montestewart » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:34 pm

AFM wrote:Also he read my post about T levels and ejaculation, and has been refraining from orgasm.

You really wanna take the Ou! out of Oubre?
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#956 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Apr 1, 2017 9:57 pm

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/kevin-durant-says-kelly-oubre-jr-has-confidence-and-some-dog-him-bill-simmons-wizards-warriors

KEVIN DURANT SAYS KELLY OUBRE JR. HAS CONFIDENCE AND 'SOME DOG IN HIM'

Kelly Oubre Jr. is not a household NBA name yet, but the way he's played for prolonged stretches of his second year in the league suggest he's certainly on the way to becoming one.

However, while general fans outside of the D.C. area may still not know much about the 21-year-old, those who follow the sport closely as well as those who play it are starting to appreciate his game. And in a recent podcast published on The Ringer, a major figure of the media as well as one of basketball's top stars took a couple of minutes to discuss Oubre's development.

Ever heard of Bill Simmons and Kevin Durant? Because it sounds like they have secured some early bird seats on the Oubre bandwagon.

"I really like Oubre," Simmons said to Durant while the two chatted on The Bill Simmons Podcast. "I think he's my favorite bench guy in the league right now. He was playing so hard [against the Clippers Wednesday, a game that Simmons attended], he's crashing the offensive boards on every play, he's guarding Chris Paul full court, like he really thought he could shut down Chris Paul."

Read on Twitter

"I know Oubre because he came to my camps a couple years ago when he was in high school and when he was in college," added Durant. "His confidence level is high. Some of these young cats that come into the league, they got super confidence, uber-confidence, and they just go through the motions. They just too cool."

"But he had a little — he had some dog in him," Durant continued, remembering those camp days. "He might foul you hard. That's how I know, actually, if young guys really want it. They foul you hard and play physical. I was playing with him and he'd foul me hard and I'm like, 'I like that. I like that you care.' Because a lot of these cats don't care about the game."

While Oubre still needs to grow on offense, his production on defense has been a pleasant development for the Wizards. Almost nightly, the lanky swingman will pick an opponent clean and finish on the other end with a strong lefty slam.

That's just one example of the "dog" in Oubre that Durant saw before he reached the Association. Maybe, if things break just right, Durant will get to personally experience it again sometime in June.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#957 » by Illmatic12 » Sat Apr 1, 2017 10:09 pm

Edit: and some more KO content, appeared on J Michael's podcast for a brief interview on his season/progression

https://audioboom.com/posts/5756822-episode-6-kelly-oubre-jr-on-his-favorite-parts-of-playing-defense

I'm a lot more confident in Oubre's future now than I ever was. It seems like the recognition and trust he's getting from the team is a positive feedback loop, and he's taking that as a drive to get even better. Can't wait to see what he looks like after a summer of polishing his offensive game with Hanlen.
europeanfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#958 » by europeanfan » Sat Apr 1, 2017 10:14 pm

His value has skyrocketed and even people from the outside are taking notice.

Wonder if Brooks grants everyone's wish and starts him against the Warriors if Keef can't play.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#959 » by Mojo Amok » Sat Apr 1, 2017 10:42 pm

And even as an offensive work in progress, the sorts of adjustments he's going to have to make aren't that drastic. He's already shooting 76% of his FGA's either at the rim or from behind the three point line. His TOV% is also in single digits too.

Not sure what his ceiling will end up being, but his floor is looking quite lofty.

I'm wondering how many 21 year olds are getting 20+ minutes per game on a competitive team primarily for their defense?
CobraCommander
RealGM
And1: 13,785

Post#960 » by CobraCommander » Sat Apr 1, 2017 11:17 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-wizards/kevin-durant-says-kelly-oubre-jr-has-confidence-and-some-dog-him-bill-simmons-wizards-warriors

KEVIN DURANT SAYS KELLY OUBRE JR. HAS CONFIDENCE AND 'SOME DOG IN HIM'

Kelly Oubre Jr. is not a household NBA name yet, but the way he's played for prolonged stretches of his second year in the league suggest he's certainly on the way to becoming one.

However, while general fans outside of the D.C. area may still not know much about the 21-year-old, those who follow the sport closely as well as those who play it are starting to appreciate his game. And in a recent podcast published on The Ringer, a major figure of the media as well as one of basketball's top stars took a couple of minutes to discuss Oubre's development.

Ever heard of Bill Simmons and Kevin Durant? Because it sounds like they have secured some early bird seats on the Oubre bandwagon.

"I really like Oubre," Simmons said to Durant while the two chatted on The Bill Simmons Podcast. "I think he's my favorite bench guy in the league right now. He was playing so hard [against the Clippers Wednesday, a game that Simmons attended], he's crashing the offensive boards on every play, he's guarding Chris Paul full court, like he really thought he could shut down Chris Paul."

Read on Twitter

"I know Oubre because he came to my camps a couple years ago when he was in high school and when he was in college," added Durant. "His confidence level is high. Some of these young cats that come into the league, they got super confidence, uber-confidence, and they just go through the motions. They just too cool."

"But he had a little — he had some dog in him," Durant continued, remembering those camp days. "He might foul you hard. That's how I know, actually, if young guys really want it. They foul you hard and play physical. I was playing with him and he'd foul me hard and I'm like, 'I like that. I like that you care.' Because a lot of these cats don't care about the game."

While Oubre still needs to grow on offense, his production on defense has been a pleasant development for the Wizards. Almost nightly, the lanky swingman will pick an opponent clean and finish on the other end with a strong lefty slam.

That's just one example of the "dog" in Oubre that Durant saw before he reached the Association. Maybe, if things break just right, Durant will get to personally experience it again sometime in June.

Thanks for the post...Simmons is a good interviewer. Kelly is growing into a good player. Durant as an interviewee is a little odd. I get the gist of what he is saying but its because its obvious. when he says Kelly has some dog in him he means Kelly Plays hard and cares about the game. But when Kevin said people are uber confident when they come in the league and followed that by saying they dont care...it seems like he isnt expressing a fully formed thought. Kevin also said I like Kelly because he came to my camp... when I think he meant, I like Kelly because when he came to my camp he played hard. Totally different things... yes I am no longer a fan of kevin cause he didnt even give us an chance to prove to him that he should come here and team up with the best back court in the league. If Kevin cared so much he would have come here and mentored Kelly up close and personal...now Kelly gonna have to shut him down in the finals...we will see how much you like Kelly when he locks you up Kevin! Wiz Win

Return to Washington Wizards