ImageImageImageImageImage

NY Times/Nate Silver "Real" Fans by Region

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

NY Times/Nate Silver "Real" Fans by Region 

Post#1 » by Induveca » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:02 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/05/12/upshot/basketball-map.html#6,36.660,-77.591

Interesting map. Likes by area of the country. Check out Baltimore its Heat/Lakers/Celtics. Zero love for our Wizards north of Columbia, MD.

May have seen this before, just came across it. Work of Nate Silver's former team. Admittedly it's using Facebook data, but it's actually a very useful dataset for targeted marketing.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Re: NY Times/Nate Silver 

Post#2 » by keynote » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:00 am

Growing up in Columbia and attending HS in Takoma Park in the '80s, I can attest that I was always in the minority in my support of the Bullets. :nonono:
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Post#3 » by stevemcqueen1 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:31 am

America is a country of bandwagoners.
BigA
Analyst
And1: 997

Post#4 » by BigA » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:32 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:America is a country of bandwagoners.

Right, if you updated it the Cavs would probably have replaced the Heat. Because of the greater focus on star players than in other sports, the bandwagon effect for fans may be greater in the NBA than it is in the NFL, etc.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#5 » by Kanyewest » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:28 pm

Those MD/VA fans didn't get the memo that the Wizards have been better than the Lakers and Heat last season.
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

NY Times/Nate Silver 

Post#6 » by Induveca » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:00 pm

Kanyewest wrote:

Those MD/VA fans didn't get the memo that the Wizards have been better than the Lakers and Heat last season.

The actual story (link in there somewhere) spoke to the extreme transient nature of some areas resulting in a few teams (DC, Atlanta) essentially having no fans outside their immediate area.

DC is little more than a stopover in a career other then the federal government.
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#7 » by keynote » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:15 am

Induveca wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

The actual story (link in there somewhere) spoke to the extreme transient nature of some areas resulting in a few teams (DC, Atlanta) essentially having no fans outside their immediate area.

DC is little more than a stopover in a career other then the federal government.

True, but all of those transplants didn't move from LA, Boston, and Miami. :-/

DC's poor fan base can't be blamed on transient professionals alone. 35 years of vacillating between mediocrity and abject failure would erode most NBA fan bases.

Still, it's maps like these that makes Teddy think (and act) like we're a small market team. We kinda are, if we define the Wizards' market as only the red parts.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,586

Post#8 » by penbeast0 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:49 pm

If I was a Wiz marketing director, I'd take this as a huge opportunity to grow my fanbase. Start sending players to the HS's in Howard and Baltimore counties, make those kids into fans and plant seeds for turning the whole Washington/Baltimore area into our market.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
adarsh1
Junior
And1: 62

Post#9 » by adarsh1 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:23 am

I'm not trying to be racist here, but I have noticed that black NBA fans tend to follow a player more than a team - i.e. LEBRON/KOBE etc rather than the Wizards. Those areas are more black than the rest of the DMV...
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#10 » by montestewart » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:46 am

adarsh1 wrote:I'm not trying to be racist here, but I have noticed that black NBA fans tend to follow a player more than a team - i.e. LEBRON/KOBE etc rather than the Wizards. Those areas are more black than the rest of the DMV…

Stak5 explains:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBltgfK-U3k[/youtube]

I guess what you're saying is that the Wizards need mo' better playas. That proposition should get multiracial support.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#11 » by Higga » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:37 pm

Our team(s) have just been bad. Transient region has nothing to do with it. People just want to root for a winner.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.

Return to Washington Wizards