ImageImageImageImageImage

Discuss Ernie Grunfeld's GM skills here (Part 2)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Re: Discuss Ernie Grunfeld's GM skills here (Part 2) 

Post#581 » by TheSecretWeapon » Tue Jun 7, 2016 9:54 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
I don't have anything, and to be honest, take a look if you want, and I'd be open to be proven wrong, but even if you don't, I do see value in ortg. My analysis is purely anecdotal, and as such I openly admit that I could easily be vulnerable to sample size bias and only noticing the examples that fit my observation and ignoring the rest, but there is admittedly a lot of noise here, even moreso than with other stats. How the team does and the role a player is asked to play (particularly its importance to the offense) matters. Did Lamarcus Aldridge have a bounceback season this year, or did he go from a team with a 108 ortg to a team with a 110 ortg? Aldridge is a part of the equation in both instances, but there is noise there that is tough to separate when almost half of Aldridge's "improvement" is covered by the difference in the respective team offenses.

I will take a look because now I'm interested in the hypothesis. The Aldridge example is interesting. First, the difference between 108 and 110 is quite small. Second, there's something else to consider: Aldridge's usage rate dropped from 30% to about 26%. That's a significant drop, and players (on average) are more efficient when they use fewer possessions. Third, there's a ton of noise within Aldridge's own career. In 2010-11, his ortg was 114 for a team that had ~109. The following season, he was at 113 for a team that had an ortg of 106. Then he had a 108 vs. his team's 106, which he followed up with a 108 vs. his team's 112.

I use ortg quite a bit, but whenever I use it, I like to also have a barrage of other stats around it to support it, and when they don't really support it, I start asking questions.

Me too. I actually use an alternate ortg, which produces basically the same results as DeanO's without including any team factors. No, I'm not giving away the formula.

I mean, in one breath Tontoz is writing off ortg for Wall specifically and then applying to Beal on the other hand like a death sentence. They both play for the same team and actually play similar roles with Beal taking a lot of the secondary ballhandling duties for better or worse (mostly worse) this season. I will grant that I've seen less noise on primary initiator roles for ortg - guys who have a bit more control over their own fate, and in that respect, things are a lot more negative for Beal this season, but they're also pretty negative for Wall, too.

I'll leave you and tontoz to duke things out between yourselves. One key difference between Wall and Beal is that Wall does many other things well, which more than offset his inefficiency on offense. Beal's value is predicated on his offensive game -- specifically his scoring -- because he doesn't (well, hasn't) done anything special with rebounding, assists or defense. He needs to score more efficiently to boost his value.

As for replacing Beal, there are absolutely ways to replace him. I don't doubt that or a second. My point was more that those same options aren't really lessened by paying Beal. Another question is, how do those means help the Wizards longer term? Just because a team of underrated castoffs on bargain contracts has never won a title doesn't mean it won't happen at some point. The problem isn't so much Beal as it is the Wizards' inability to exploit other means of finding talent, specifically the draft and younger free agents, but you don't have to let Beal walk to exploit those. Beal for the max to the Wizards isn't nearly the anchor it gets made out to be and really isn't any more outlandish than the likes of Batum for the max to the Hornets, or Derozan for the max to the Raptors, or whoever gives Harrison Barnes the max. They aren't value contracts, but you will always have some value contracts and some non-value contracts on an NBA roster and it's really worthwhile to use both and quite often it's the lesser of two evils if you wind up spending in free agency (one of the worst ways to try and accumulate talent beyond scraping towards a ~.500 team) to try and replace that talent.

My own personal assessment of Beal is that he will eventually peak somewhere in the Afflalo to West Matthews pre-injury spectrum to Danny Green range of SGs, but it will take a bit of patience to get there and any team who gets him there will have to be able to overlook paying a max to a non-superstar for a certain period of time. His going so highly in the draft really helped him, but the free agency period helps him even more. In 4 years or so, when he's out of his athletic prime and moving into his veteran prime, that's the contract that matters, and honestly, that's what the Wizards should be aiming for rather than trying to load up on veterans to "win now" anyway. You can absolutely win while trying to continuously build, but the second you stop building or keep hitting the reset button is when you plateau or worse. I think a few teams have figured this out, with the Spurs being the pre-eminent franchise in that regard. The second the Wizards do draft a better SG than Beal, even at the max, they could offload him for something in return pretty easily with injuries always being the caveat.

The thing with overpaying a guy in a capped system is that doing so limits your ability to acquire players elsewhere. Sure, an overpaid player on a bad contract can be traded, but it's often quite costly to do so.

As for your comps, Afflalo might be on the pessimistic side. I have him peaking a little above average -- not much better than Beal has played thus far for the Wizards. Danny Green seems wildly optimistic (at least his peak season). Matthews seems about right. His best season was 2014-15 -- right up until he tore his Achilles.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#582 » by tontoz » Tue Jun 7, 2016 10:08 pm

I never wrote off ortg with Wall. That is pure nonsense. I have criticized him for years due to his turnovers and poor/frequent shooting, both of which are reflected in his ortg.

Just look at the "Wall is not a top 5 pg thread".
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#583 » by Dat2U » Wed Jun 8, 2016 2:51 am

As far as replacing Beal, I think the best way is to do that internally. I think Temple has become a solid rotation player at the SG position and acquitted himself well as starter. Sure, it would be nice if he was a more reliable shooter but he knows his role, has become a solid finisher and plays good defense. When people talk about signing Courtney Lee for $8-10 mil per, I cringe because outside of Lee being a slightly better 3 pt shooter, he & Temple are very comparable players and Temple likely can be had for $3-4 mil per.

Along with Temple, bringing over Satoransky would make a lot of sense. I see Satoransky as more of play making 2 than a PG due to his size and probable lack of foot speed at the PG position. Satoransky appears to be the straw that stirs the drink type of player, creating for himself and others with his skillset but not necessarily a guy you want lining up against much quicker PGs.

Thirdly, I'd like to bring Alan Anderson back on a short term deal on the cheap. In limited minutes he showed some offensive utility & gives a good deal of effort defensively. With the Nets a year ago, he really had some nice stretches of play starting at SG for them. As long as his health checks out, I think he's a nice value pickup considering his market isn't likely to be too big.

Considering how Beal has played throughout his career (with the exception of 20 playoff games), I don't see a trio of Temple, Sato & Anderson as a major step down.

The key IMO will be finding scoring elsewhere on the roster. If you don't re-sign Beal or complete a S&T then adding a top scoring option into the lineup becomes a #1 priority.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,044

Post#584 » by queridiculo » Wed Jun 8, 2016 12:55 pm

Debates about Beals future with the team are sort of moot point.

The Wizards poker face is so bad everybody already knows that they're going to give him the max.

If it doesn't work out the Wizards can always chalk it up to the bad luck that inexplicably seems to have befallen this excellently run organization.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#585 » by payitforward » Wed Jun 8, 2016 3:46 pm

Dat2U wrote:As far as replacing Beal, I think the best way is to do that internally. I think Temple has become a solid rotation player at the SG position and acquitted himself well as starter. Sure, it would be nice if he was a more reliable shooter but he knows his role, has become a solid finisher and plays good defense. When people talk about signing Courtney Lee for $8-10 mil per, I cringe because outside of Lee being a slightly better 3 pt shooter, he & Temple are very comparable players and Temple likely can be had for $3-4 mil per.

Along with Temple, bringing over Satoransky would make a lot of sense. I see Satoransky as more of play making 2 than a PG due to his size and probable lack of foot speed at the PG position. Satoransky appears to be the straw that stirs the drink type of player, creating for himself and others with his skillset but not necessarily a guy you want lining up against much quicker PGs.

Thirdly, I'd like to bring Alan Anderson back on a short term deal on the cheap. In limited minutes he showed some offensive utility & gives a good deal of effort defensively. With the Nets a year ago, he really had some nice stretches of play starting at SG for them. As long as his health checks out, I think he's a nice value pickup considering his market isn't likely to be too big.

Considering how Beal has played throughout his career (with the exception of 20 playoff games), I don't see a trio of Temple, Sato & Anderson as a major step down.

The key IMO will be finding scoring elsewhere on the roster. If you don't re-sign Beal or complete a S&T then adding a top scoring option into the lineup becomes a #1 priority.

I've been a big supporter of Temple; I think you are right that he is solid, a rotation-level player. The issue I have with what you say is that our problem would not be to "replace Beal" but to field a team with a starting SG who is actually good -- well above average -- which Beal has not been and Temple hasn't been either.

I agree as well that Courtney Lee doesn't really fit the bill, and he certainly isn't worth 2.5 times the $$ we'd pay Temple. But, he's kind of a straw man here.

As to Satoransky -- of course we should bring him over if that's possible; why not? But I don't see how you, I, or anyone can project a trio with him included as good, bad or indifferent. Who knows? Especially if the 3d leg is a projection of Alan Anderson's contribution that's based on his 192 minutes last year.

I suppose the real problem is that there's no way for us to get from where we are to a good team over the next 4 months -- above all not with Ernie running the show. I'd love to be wrong about that, but I can't see how I am. So, for all the moves we discuss here, there's really only one good move the Wizards can make this off season -- replace Ernie Grunfeld with someone good.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#586 » by I_Like_Dirt » Wed Jun 8, 2016 8:04 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:As for your comps, Afflalo might be on the pessimistic side. I have him peaking a little above average -- not much better than Beal has played thus far for the Wizards. Danny Green seems wildly optimistic (at least his peak season). Matthews seems about right. His best season was 2014-15 -- right up until he tore his Achilles.

I did throw them out there as a grouping to show a bit of range. Danny Green's peak season was very much amazing, but it was also wildly optimistic for Danny Green until it actually happened. Matthews is definitely the middle ground here, along with some of Danny Green's lesser seasons.

As for preventing adding other assets, on one hand Beal does, but the amount of ways he prevents adding assets is more limited than it gets made out to be. There is the possibility to take on more salary (150%'s worth) in a trade, but usually to do that and get a haul of talent you need to be stacked with picks and prospects, and that's especially true now that there are so many teams out there with the ability to take on added salary in a trade. And honestly, the best way to get back value in a trade is to give something up, which Beal would actually represent because, rightly or wrongly, he will have trade value once signed.

There is free agency, but free agency is about as bad as it gets, and usually to attract somebody better than Beal, you're going to pay through the nose in the same way you'll pay through the nose for Beal. You could maybe sign an underrated player like Temple or better, but in the end the goal is to get significantly better players, and you don't do that playing the minimum game, and you can still play the minimum game even if you sign Beal. At the very least Beal has the potential to morph into something significantly better than he currently is, which most of those minimum guys won't really have, and it's better to have both than just one of them. And while it's great to look at some of the better signings of this past season like Aminu, Biyombo, Joseph, etc., there weren't very many of those last offseason and there are going to be even fewer this offseason with more cap space and an even worse free agent crop.

I see Beal getting maxed somewhat comparably to Kanter getting maxed last offseason. A bit more than you'd normally want to pay for the production they've given so far, but they do certain things that not many players can do and given a dearth of mutually exclusive better options, keeping them, even temporarily before deciding if you want to trade them in a season or two, is likely the best course of action. To be honest, I think Beal's TS% improvement this season was a very positive sign.

Re: ortg, I threw Aldridge out there off the top of my head. I agree there is a lot of noise within his own career, but that's sort of my point. Ortg is a useful tool, but there is always going to be a lot of noise around that stat, and even small % changes in the amount of noise only make it worse, which is where I like to see how ortg fits within the scope of other stats
Bucket! Bucket!
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#587 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:58 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
Re: ortg, I threw Aldridge out there off the top of my head. I agree there is a lot of noise within his own career, but that's sort of my point. Ortg is a useful tool, but there is always going to be a lot of noise around that stat, and even small % changes in the amount of noise only make it worse, which is where I like to see how ortg fits within the scope of other stats

Sorry, I wasn't clear. The noise I was talking about was related to the theory that a player's individual offensive rating being highly related to his team's offensive rating. You chose Aldridge as an example, so I looked him up. What I found was that Aldridge's offensive rating fluctuated year to year, and his team's offensive rating fluctuated year to year, but not in concert with each other. In other words, Aldridge does not appear to support the hypothesis.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#588 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:02 pm

payitforward wrote:
Dat2U wrote:As far as replacing Beal, I think the best way is to do that internally. I think Temple has become a solid rotation player at the SG position and acquitted himself well as starter. Sure, it would be nice if he was a more reliable shooter but he knows his role, has become a solid finisher and plays good defense. When people talk about signing Courtney Lee for $8-10 mil per, I cringe because outside of Lee being a slightly better 3 pt shooter, he & Temple are very comparable players and Temple likely can be had for $3-4 mil per.

I've been a big supporter of Temple; I think you are right that he is solid, a rotation-level player. The issue I have with what you say is that our problem would not be to "replace Beal" but to field a team with a starting SG who is actually good -- well above average -- which Beal has not been and Temple hasn't been either.

I agree as well that Courtney Lee doesn't really fit the bill, and he certainly isn't worth 2.5 times the $$ we'd pay Temple. But, he's kind of a straw man here.

As to Satoransky -- of course we should bring him over if that's possible; why not? But I don't see how you, I, or anyone can project a trio with him included as good, bad or indifferent. Who knows? Especially if the 3d leg is a projection of Alan Anderson's contribution that's based on his 192 minutes last year.

I suppose the real problem is that there's no way for us to get from where we are to a good team over the next 4 months -- above all not with Ernie running the show. I'd love to be wrong about that, but I can't see how I am. So, for all the moves we discuss here, there's really only one good move the Wizards can make this off season -- replace Ernie Grunfeld with someone good.

Yeah, while Temple deserves credit for showing he belongs in the NBA, I don't see him as a player I want as a rotation regular. He's good to have when someone gets injured. I don't keep Temple at anything over 2 mil - and only a 1 year contract.

Again, my choice for a free agent 2 is Nando de Colo. He said he wants to come back to the NBA if given a significant role.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#589 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:40 pm

I_Like_Dirt wrote:
I did throw them out there as a grouping to show a bit of range. Danny Green's peak season was very much amazing, but it was also wildly optimistic for Danny Green until it actually happened. Matthews is definitely the middle ground here, along with some of Danny Green's lesser seasons.

Not really on Green's peak being a surprise. He'd been playing quite well for several seasons, and then had an outstanding year. Here's his career progression in PPA:

- 66 (in just 115 minutes)
- 70 (in just 92 minutes)

Then, he got regular playing time with the Spurs, and...

This year: just 99.

As a reminder, here's Beal's progression in PPA:

In my preseason analysis, I anticipate Beal around 110 (I think 108 was the projection). My approach predicted a career peak of around 130.

As for preventing adding other assets, on one hand Beal does, but the amount of ways he prevents adding assets is more limited than it gets made out to be. There is the possibility to take on more salary (150%'s worth) in a trade, but usually to do that and get a haul of talent you need to be stacked with picks and prospects, and that's especially true now that there are so many teams out there with the ability to take on added salary in a trade. And honestly, the best way to get back value in a trade is to give something up, which Beal would actually represent because, rightly or wrongly, he will have trade value once signed.

There is free agency, but free agency is about as bad as it gets, and usually to attract somebody better than Beal, you're going to pay through the nose in the same way you'll pay through the nose for Beal. You could maybe sign an underrated player like Temple or better, but in the end the goal is to get significantly better players, and you don't do that playing the minimum game, and you can still play the minimum game even if you sign Beal. At the very least Beal has the potential to morph into something significantly better than he currently is, which most of those minimum guys won't really have, and it's better to have both than just one of them. And while it's great to look at some of the better signings of this past season like Aminu, Biyombo, Joseph, etc., there weren't very many of those last offseason and there are going to be even fewer this offseason with more cap space and an even worse free agent crop.

I see Beal getting maxed somewhat comparably to Kanter getting maxed last offseason. A bit more than you'd normally want to pay for the production they've given so far, but they do certain things that not many players can do and given a dearth of mutually exclusive better options, keeping them, even temporarily before deciding if you want to trade them in a season or two, is likely the best course of action. To be honest, I think Beal's TS% improvement this season was a very positive sign.

A team can always move a guy if they're willing to pay the price. If a player's production is out of line with his compensation, the team usually doesn't get full value for what the player produces. So, if Beal is basically average and he's getting the max, the Wizards aren't likely to get offers of even players of commensurate on-court value -- unless, of course, the player is similarly over-compensated.

Finding average players isn't that challenging to do. Ernie Grunfeld seems to be an expert at it.

As for Beal's TS% being better -- it's better than having it be worse. The improvement is fairly modest, though perhaps part of an upward trend (his TS% improved a bit the previous season too).
-- Malcolm Gladwell

TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#590 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:50 pm

I usually agree with you, but... Temple is a 5th guard in a 3-man rotation. Anderson peaked at well-below average before signing with the Wizards, and doesn't seem a likely candidate for getting better in his mid-30s.

Agree with signing Satoransky.

Also agree that filling what Beal has done shouldn't be super-challenging given how average he was. Also agree on not breaking the bank for Courtney Lee. At some point I'll dig into the free agent list and see what options there are.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

I_Like_Dirt
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#591 » by I_Like_Dirt » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:25 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:In my preseason analysis, I anticipate Beal around 110 (I think 108 was the projection). My approach predicted a career peak of around 130.

It's starting to seem to me that we're pretty much arguing the same thing with different slants. This particular analysis is something I think is extremely realistic and about what I'd expect as well. I'm a little curious to find out how many SGs out there rate particularly highly in your measures, because SG is a pretty weak position in the NBA right now.
Bucket! Bucket!
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#592 » by Dat2U » Fri Jun 10, 2016 10:28 pm

Ruzious wrote:
payitforward wrote:I've been a big supporter of Temple; I think you are right that he is solid, a rotation-level player. The issue I have with what you say is that our problem would not be to "replace Beal" but to field a team with a starting SG who is actually good -- well above average -- which Beal has not been and Temple hasn't been either.

Yeah, while Temple deserves credit for showing he belongs in the NBA, I don't see him as a player I want as a rotation regular. He's good to have when someone gets injured. I don't keep Temple at anything over 2 mil - and only a 1 year contract.

Again, my choice for a free agent 2 is Nando de Colo. He said he wants to come back to the NBA if given a significant role.

TheSecretWeapon wrote:I usually agree with you, but... Temple is a 5th guard in a 3-man rotation. Anderson peaked at well-below average before signing with the Wizards, and doesn't seem a likely candidate for getting better in his mid-30s.

Agree with signing Satoransky.

Also agree that filling what Beal has done shouldn't be super-challenging given how average he was. Also agree on not breaking the bank for Courtney Lee. At some point I'll dig into the free agent list and see what options there are.

Temple is not a great player by any means but considering the options in free agency and their likely price, I'm looking a passable stop gap options. Giving Beal $120 million or Courtney Lee $40 million don't seem like good options me. I'd rather not sign someone than sign someone to a bad deal. Maybe the SG problem just isn't solved this season. I'm okay with that as long as we are able to address other issues like upgrading one of the starters on our frontline & adding quality depth. A Temple deal at $10 mil seems like a far better choice then making a cap altering mistake.

As far as Temple's worthiness. I'm with payitforward. Temple is a worthy rotation player. The evidence is looking at the rest of the muck & mire that teams have to trot out at the SG position around the league. Somehow, someway DeShawn Stevenson was regarded as a passable starter around these parts and I swear he was an abject disaster offensively. Temple IMO has worked his way to being a quality backup and frankly I thought he acquitted himself okay as a starter last year. He wasn't the problem. It would be great if he could 40% from 3 but he's a quality defender (which can't be properly measured by production measurement tools), a solid decision maker who is cognizant of his limitations offensively and an improved finisher on the break.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#593 » by payitforward » Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:48 am

Dat2U wrote:Temple is not a great player by any means but considering the options in free agency and their likely price, I'm looking a passable stop gap options. Giving Beal $120 million or Courtney Lee $40 million don't seem like good options me. I'd rather not sign someone than sign someone to a bad deal. ...A Temple deal at $10 mil seems like a far better choice then making a cap altering mistake.

100% in agreement. You have to measure how good a guy is against what you're paying him. Temple has been a bargain at his salary. Now... he played almost 2000 minutes this last year, and of course you'd want a better player than he is to take away half those minutes. But, we don't have that better player right now, and it would be stupid to over pay a FA.

Dat2U wrote:As far as ... I'm with payitforward.

...and people thought that would never happen! :)

Dat2U wrote:Temple ... has worked his way to being a quality backup....

Right. And a bargain for what we have paid him. Now, the cap rising will push salaries up for everyone -- but I imagine he'll still be available at an attractive price.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM

Post#594 » by TheSecretWeapon » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Among the 81 players b-r identifies as SG with at least 500 minutes, I have Temple rated 56th. Last season, he was very low usage and below average in efficiency. There's no way I'd want to rely on him as part of my team's rotation. Not if I wanted my team to be good.
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Dat2U
RealGM

Post#595 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:42 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:Among the 81 players b-r identifies as SG with at least 500 minutes, I have Temple rated 56th. Last season, he was very low usage and below average in efficiency. There's no way I'd want to rely on him as part of my team's rotation. Not if I wanted my team to be good.

I likely value his defense more than your production measurement tool does. No I wouldn't want him starting in an ideal situation but I view him as being rated in the 30-40 range of SGs in my book, mainly due to his defensive skill. Not saying he's a lock down defender, but he's generally always going to be in the right position.

I'd love to know what other FA options out there at the SG position that would make sense financially.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#596 » by Ruzious » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:36 pm

Dat2U wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:Among the 81 players b-r identifies as SG with at least 500 minutes, I have Temple rated 56th. Last season, he was very low usage and below average in efficiency. There's no way I'd want to rely on him as part of my team's rotation. Not if I wanted my team to be good.

I likely value his defense more than your production measurement tool does. No I wouldn't want him starting in an ideal situation but I view him as being rated in the 30-40 range of SGs in my book, mainly due to his defensive skill. Not saying he's a lock down defender, but he's generally always going to be in the right position.

I'd love to know what other FA options out there at the SG position that would make sense financially.

I see what you're saying about the FA options - they're pretty bad, and you want to avoid over-paying. That's why I'm trying to look outside the box - and keep bringing up Nando de Colo and considering PG's who have shown they can catch and shoot - so they can mesh with both Wall and Sato. Get talented players who can shoot. De Colo's shooting stats are literally the best in the world.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#597 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:42 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

I see what you're saying about the FA options - they're pretty bad, and you want to avoid over-paying. That's why I'm trying to look outside the box - and keep bringing up Nando de Colo and considering PG's who have shown they can catch and shoot - so they can mesh with both Wall and Sato. Get talented players who can shoot. De Colo's shooting stats are literally the best in the world.

I'd be fine with Nando de Colo. Seth Curry as well. I think either could likely fit with a playmaking SG in Tomas. I also think Garrett is worth keeping in the $3-4 mil range.

Whatever the case, Beal is getting re-signed and we need as much depth as possible at the shooting guard position to withstand his likely 15-20 game yearly absence.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#598 » by Ruzious » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:45 pm

Yeah, we only have a few month to fantasize not ridiculously over-paying for Beal. :(
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#599 » by fishercob » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:58 pm

I agree that Beal can be replaced "internally," but don't see Temple as an option. Yes to roles for Anderson (on the cheap) and Satoransky. Also, Kelly Oubre and Otto Porter. If Anthony Roberson and Thabo Sefolosha can play the 2, so can Oubre. Porter swallowed up Derozan in the playoffs two years ago. He's better suited to guard wings than he is burlier guys like Melo, etc.

One of the keys to playing small, ironically enough, is size on the wings. Golden State's small lineups are long as hell and wreak havoc defensively. Perhaps Oubre could be a long term solution at the two. The other key is Draymond -- while he's short, he's incredible strong (and long) and holds his own in the post and on the boards.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Dat2U
RealGM

Post#600 » by Dat2U » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:02 pm

fishercob wrote:
I agree that Beal can be replaced "internally," but don't see Temple as an option. Yes to roles for Anderson (on the cheap) and Satoransky. Also, Kelly Oubre and Otto Porter. If Anthony Roberson and Thabo Sefolosha can play the 2, so can Oubre. Porter swallowed up Derozan in the playoffs two years ago. He's better suited to guard wings than he is burlier guys like Melo, etc.

One of the keys to playing small, ironically enough, is size on the wings. Golden State's small lineups are long as hell and wreak havoc defensively. Perhaps Oubre could be a long term solution at the two. The other key is Draymond -- while he's short, he's incredible strong (and long) and holds his own in the post and on the boards.

You make a great point about Otto and I've thought the same. He does seem to defend quicker players better than some of the oversized SFs that he comes up against. Oubre has the physical traits but I'm not sure we could survive his shaky jumper & on-ball limitations at the 2 at this point.

Return to Washington Wizards