ImageImageImageImageImage

Randy has to go. Enough. No Mas.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Re: Randy has to go. Enough. No Mas. 

Post#61 » by nuposse04 » Wed Mar 2, 2016 10:21 pm

Kanyewest wrote:https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dc-sports-bog/wp/2016/03/02/randy-wittman-analytics-havent-won-a-ballgame/

Sheehan comes off as way more insufferable then Randy in that interview.
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#62 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Mar 3, 2016 12:35 am

I responded to Wittman's (and Sheehan's) comments over at the blog. To me, one of the bigger concerns is Wittman's comment about being driven crazy by "sheets of numbers." If he's getting "sheets of numbers" the Wizards are making poor use of their analytics department, OR the analytics department is doing a bad job. The best analysis in the world isn't worth much if it can't be communicated.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#63 » by gambitx777 » Thu Mar 3, 2016 3:18 am

They need a guy who can communicate these numbers too him. Sure analytic are not everything but they do matter when you are calling bad plays, and putting bad line ups on the floor.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Re: RE: Re: Randy has to go. Enough. No Mas. 

Post#64 » by ozthegap » Thu Mar 3, 2016 3:48 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:I responded to Wittman's (and Sheehan's) comments over at the blog. To me, one of the bigger concerns is Wittman's comment about being driven crazy by "sheets of numbers." If he's getting "sheets of numbers" the Wizards are making poor use of their analytics department, OR the analytics department is doing a bad job. The best analysis in the world isn't worth much if it can't be communicated.

No man. Witless's brain just can't handle the information it overheats. (See clipboard video clip)
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Randy has to go. Enough. No Mas. 

Post#65 » by JWizmentality » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:14 am

ozthegap wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:I responded to Wittman's (and Sheehan's) comments over at the blog. To me, one of the bigger concerns is Wittman's comment about being driven crazy by "sheets of numbers." If he's getting "sheets of numbers" the Wizards are making poor use of their analytics department, OR the analytics department is doing a bad job. The best analysis in the world isn't worth much if it can't be communicated.

No man. Witless's brain just can't handle the information it overheats. (See clipboard video clip)

That incident happened with us up 5, with the ball, and 30 seconds left in the game. Overheat? That's Randy's brain running on optimal output.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Re: RE: Re: Randy has to go. Enough. No Mas. 

Post#66 » by TheSecretWeapon » Thu Mar 3, 2016 4:22 am

ozthegap wrote:

Nah, Randy isn't a dummy. He IS like a lot of coaches -- very confident in what he thinks he knows. That's necessary in many ways for NBA coaches. EVERYONE wants to tell the coach their genius idea that will fix the team. Often with sentences that start: "Why don't you guys just..."

There's legitimacy in Wittman's comment that he needs to COACH his team. That means managing all the conflicting "stuff" going on: injuries, illnesses, life crises, as well as all the strategic stuff, preparation, etc., PLUS managing the coaching the staff and the tech support people, PLUS relationships with the front office, PLUS the media. He doesn't also need pages of numbers to sift through and figure out what's important and what's not.

This is something that will change over time, of course. The next generation of coaches will have come up in the analytics era, and will probably have familiarity and comfort at levels that might befuddle a guy like Wittman.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Randy has to go. Enough. No Mas. 

Post#67 » by ozthegap » Thu Mar 3, 2016 8:30 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
ozthegap wrote:

Nah, Randy isn't a dummy. He IS like a lot of coaches -- very confident in what he thinks he knows. That's necessary in many ways for NBA coaches. EVERYONE wants to tell the coach their genius idea that will fix the team. Often with sentences that start: "Why don't you guys just..."

There's legitimacy in Wittman's comment that he needs to COACH his team. That means managing all the conflicting "stuff" going on: injuries, illnesses, life crises, as well as all the strategic stuff, preparation, etc., PLUS managing the coaching the staff and the tech support people, PLUS relationships with the front office, PLUS the media. He doesn't also need pages of numbers to sift through and figure out what's important and what's not.

This is something that will change over time, of course. The next generation of coaches will have come up in the analytics era, and will probably have familiarity and comfort at levels that might befuddle a guy like Wittman.

Are you sure? Have you seen the dumb face he makes whenever something unexpected happens in a game?
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Randy has to go. Enough. No Mas. 

Post#68 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Mar 3, 2016 1:36 pm

TheSecretWeapon wrote:
ozthegap wrote:

Wittman could use as a consultant a coaching peer who understands how to infer from analytics what players work well in concert with others. Situational substitution is prevalent in both football and baseball. However, basketball coaches like Randy Wittman IMO seem to prefer to ride and die with "stars or veterans." They don't like input from analytics.

I'll never forget what a statistical outlier Wizards' Ben Wallace was. Yet, he wasn't valued by the coach at the time. Neither was he valued by the Orlando staff to whom Washington traded him. Stat geeks knew better. They were not at all surprised by Big Ben as a Detroit Piston.

Wittman is just sticking with what he's comfortable with. Just as TSW alluded above. He did see the light last playoffs when Washington went small against Toronto. He adjusted when he had time to implement changes suggested through analytics.
Bye bye Beal.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,870

Post#69 » by payitforward » Thu Mar 3, 2016 2:43 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Yet another game where Wittless singlehandedly kills our momentum with rotations that have zero correlation to what is actually happening in the game. Not to mention that our offense continues to be butt.

Dude, you're starting to sound like Hands !!

You sure you want to go down this path, amigo?
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....

Return to Washington Wizards