ImageImageImageImageImage

GT #66: Wizards vs. Pistons - Mon 03/14 8:00PM (ESPN)

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Re: GT #66: Wizards vs. Pistons - Mon 03/14 8:00PM (ESPN) 

Post#81 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:57 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Hard to believe Witt couldn't have found Oubre more minutes this season.

Not hard for me to believe given the roster construction. Otto is primarily a SF. So are Dudley, Anderson and, at times, Temple. KO could never get token SG minutes due to Beal, Neal, Sessions when playing two, and Temple.

The tendency of Wittman/EG is always always always to proffer playing time to "veterans".

Another poster said Kawhi Leonard as a rookie wouldn't play much on this Wizards team. I agree.

Oubre is going to be good IMO.
Bye bye Beal.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#82 » by ElectricMayhem » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:09 am

Congratulations on the beatdown. It would be the Wizards challenging the Bulls record if you guys could play us every game.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
ozthegap
Senior
And1: 159

Post#83 » by ozthegap » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:35 am

Has anybody seen Wall's quote after the game about wittless? Here comes the pitch to save Randy's job.
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#84 » by dlts20 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:51 am

This is what I wrote before the game but couldnt send it because i was in some country asz town with no reception.

Will you guys stop it. We will brand new team with Beal starting. In 3 games we will be lethal so stop with the losing talk. Let's just hope it kicks in even sooner. We will be lethal in 3 and better by 2 but I hope it all starts tonight
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,072

Post#85 » by nate33 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:09 pm

dlts20 wrote:This is what I wrote before the game but couldnt send it because i was in some country asz town with no reception.

Will you guys stop it. We will brand new team with Beal starting. In 3 games we will be lethal so stop with the losing talk. Let's just hope it kicks in even sooner. We will be lethal in 3 and better by 2 but I hope it all starts tonight

We are not a brand new team with Beal starting. Beal is a very average player. He looks good when he plays well, but he'll follow it up with a 5-16 shooting night that quietly kills the team and delivers a loss.

The on/off numbers do not provide any evidence that the team is better with Beal. Indeed, they appear to be much better with Temple. (Temple has a +5.6 on/off differential. Beal's is just +1.4)
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#86 » by Dark Faze » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:09 pm

oubre should have snatched dudleys minutes a while back--takes him forever to get a good look so you might as well have a guy who's still a respectable deep shooter but does everything else better besides passing
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#87 » by payitforward » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Kanyewest wrote:...- ESPN's analysis of the Wizards by Billups is sub-par. He stated the reason the Wizards are struggling because of the loss of Paul Pierce and Randy Wittman's coaching. I suppose Wittman's coaching isn't great- but I would say the Wizards have struggled moreso because of EG's selection of players, the Wizards not coming into shape this season, the lack of development by Beal/Porter, and injuries....

Different issues: perhaps the current roster would do better w/ another coach. I doubt it, but there's no reason not to replace Wittman anyway and find out. He's no great shakes.

But, even if that's true -- it's the roster itself that's the problem. And, yeah, that's on his Ernieness. I don't think injuries have had all that much of an effect, given that we haven't been better to speak of w/ Beal than without him.

But, your remark about Porter seems way, way off. He's had a terrific season; he's developing very quickly and he's developing into a very good player!

Wall, Gortat, Porter and Sessions have had good seasons. Dudley has been pretty good. PF play has been just awful, both before and with Morris. Nene has played 800+ minutes, to no one's surprise. Shooting guard play has been bad as well.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Illuminaire
Veteran
And1: 606

Post#88 » by Illuminaire » Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:50 pm

Oh man. Before the game I commented to my family "since the Wizards have lost all the games they really needed to win, now they're definitely going to win the games they need to lose."

Because as much fun as it is to see a team do really well, it's hard to forget how fantastically counter-productive those meaningless victories are. The Wizards take torturing their fan base to another level. As Nate says, maximum pain!
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#89 » by Ruzious » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:28 pm

Just when we're ready to embrace the tank, they win by 43. LOL. Speedin up that treadmill.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,330

Post#90 » by Kanyewest » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:24 pm

payitforward wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:...- ESPN's analysis of the Wizards by Billups is sub-par. He stated the reason the Wizards are struggling because of the loss of Paul Pierce and Randy Wittman's coaching. I suppose Wittman's coaching isn't great- but I would say the Wizards have struggled moreso because of EG's selection of players, the Wizards not coming into shape this season, the lack of development by Beal/Porter, and injuries....

Different issues: perhaps the current roster would do better w/ another coach. I doubt it, but there's no reason not to replace Wittman anyway and find out. He's no great shakes.

But, even if that's true -- it's the roster itself that's the problem. And, yeah, that's on his Ernieness. I don't think injuries have had all that much of an effect, given that we haven't been better to speak of w/ Beal than without him.

But, your remark about Porter seems way, way off. He's had a terrific season; he's developing very quickly and he's developing into a very good player!

Wall, Gortat, Porter and Sessions have had good seasons. Dudley has been pretty good. PF play has been just awful, both before and with Morris. Nene has played 800+ minutes, to no one's surprise. Shooting guard play has been bad as well.

Porter is fine but he had to do better than expected given the lack of progress that Beal has made in his game- although Beal has played significantly better since the all star break. I would disagree that the Wizards have played better without Beal as of late though given that they were 0-3 on the West coast road trip.

I would say injuries had a slight effect more than the coaching. Especially in the stretch where they were without Gortat, Nene, and/or Humphries. I agree though that roster construction is the bigger concern.
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#91 » by Kanyewest » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:30 pm

Dark Faze wrote:oubre should have snatched dudleys minutes a while back--takes him forever to get a good look so you might as well have a guy who's still a respectable deep shooter but does everything else better besides passing

Dudley is still a much better 3 point shooter than Oubre. Oubre in the last 3 months of the season is shooting below 25%. Dudley in 3 point % by shooting 44%. Oubre would probably get minutes over Dudley if he had that knowledge but given that Oubre's BBIQ was low coming into the draft relative to his peers, its not surprising that he's not getting minutes over Dudley who may have one of the highest BBIQ's in the league.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,006

Post#92 » by Dark Faze » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:42 pm

Kanyewest wrote:
Dark Faze wrote:oubre should have snatched dudleys minutes a while back--takes him forever to get a good look so you might as well have a guy who's still a respectable deep shooter but does everything else better besides passing

Dudley is still a much better 3 point shooter than Oubre. Oubre in the last 3 months of the season is shooting below 25%. Dudley in 3 point % by shooting 44%. Oubre would probably get minutes over Dudley if he had that knowledge but given that Oubre's BBIQ was low coming into the draft relative to his peers, its not surprising that he's not getting minutes over Dudley who may have one of the highest BBIQ's in the league.

and yet he's only making a single made 3 a game despite playing nearly 30 minutes a night--which is hardly worth anything

like I said we've got a lot of high IQ guys on the team, problem is the offense is bad when it takes nearly a 24 second shot clock to create looks for guys like Dudley and Otto
Kanyewest
General Manager

Post#93 » by Kanyewest » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:53 pm

Dark Faze wrote:
Kanyewest wrote:

and yet he's only making a single made 3 a game despite playing nearly 30 minutes a night--which is hardly worth anything

like I said we've got a lot of high IQ guys on the team, problem is the offense is bad when it takes nearly a 24 second shot clock to create looks for guys like Dudley and Otto

I agree that the Wizards need someone who shoots the ball more, so in theory it makes sense why Morris is in the lineup at the 4 instead of Dudley. Still, Oubre isn't even taking more 3s even when adjusted for pace than Dudley. In the long run, I would rather have Oubre given he has a MUCH higher ceiling but in the short run, Dudley is better because he does get more assists, commits fewer turnovers, and knows where to be on the court on both the offensive and defensive end.

Return to Washington Wizards