ImageImageImageImageImage

Randy Wittman to be terminated after Wizards season finale according to ESPN (Brian Windhorst)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nuposse04
RealGM
And1: 2,439

Re: Randy Wittman to be terminated after Wizards season finale according to ESPN (Brian Windhorst) 

Post#21 » by nuposse04 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:14 am

montestewart wrote:
fishercob wrote:
TheSecretWeapon wrote:I'm still hopeful Grunfeld will be sent packing Thursday afternoon. Not expecting it, but I am hoping.

I wonder if this means Milellie is a zombie >.>
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,152

Re: Randy Wittman to be terminated after Wizards season finale according to ESPN (Brian Windhorst) 

Post#22 » by AFM » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:28 am

nuposse04 wrote:
montestewart wrote:
fishercob wrote:

I wonder if this means Milellie is a zombie >.>

closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,525

Re: Randy Wittman to be terminated after Wizards season finale according to ESPN ... 

Post#23 » by closg00 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:34 am

Why would Ted fire McPhee, but keep Ernie around? This is a bigger mystery than Millie/Hands11.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#24 » by MikeTheKid » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:52 am

Wittman canned doesnt matter if Grunfeld still has a job!!!
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#25 » by Kanyewest » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:59 am

pineappleheadindc wrote:
nate33 wrote:I've got no ill will toward Wittman. He's been a decent coach - not great, but not awful either. I don't think the team has any more left to learn from him so it's time for him to go, but I wish him well. It wouldn't surprise me if he got a coaching gig somewhere else in a year or two.

It goes without saying that EG needs to be fired too.

If you were to compare Randy and Ernie, it's clear that Grunfeld deserves to be fired more. EG is a bigger failure of a GM than Randy is as a coach.

Yes and no. Yes EG deserves to be fired more and has made more bad moves with the Wizards. Although I would say EG had some moderate success with the Knicks and the Bucks. I would like for the Wizards to go in a different direction but I will be prepared to keep my Wizards viewing at a minimum for the foreseeable future.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Re: Randy Wittman to be terminated after Wizards season finale according to ESPN ... 

Post#26 » by Kanyewest » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:00 am

closg00 wrote:Why would Ted fire McPhee, but keep Ernie around? This is a bigger mystery than Millie/Hands11.

EG must have some dirt on Leonsis? :dontknow:
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#27 » by FAH1223 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:00 am

closg00 wrote:Why would Ted fire McPhee, but keep Ernie around? This is a bigger mystery than Millie/Hands11.

Ted also promoted in house to replace McPhee
tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,925

Post#28 » by tontoz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:48 am

TheSecretWeapon wrote:I'm still hopeful Grunfeld will be sent packing Thursday afternoon. Not expecting it, but I am hoping.

"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#29 » by dangermouse » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:07 pm

A new GM, AND a new coach would have been the way to go.

Wittman is frustrating quite a bit, but i genuinely do not believe he is a bad coach. He is average to good.

Now, if we can find someone who can get the most out of Wall and Beal, then this will be good move.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#30 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:09 pm

FAH1223 wrote:

Meaning what, exactly?
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#31 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Indeed.

It should be noted that Ted fired both McPhee and Adam Oates at the end of the 2014 season. They announced the hirings of Trotz and Maclellan at the same time; it would appear that if they got way down the road on Trotz's deal before deciding to hire (promote) Maclellan.

Thus, I am holding out hope that Grunfeld will be let go -- that Ted will not believe he needs a GM in place in order to hire a new GM.

on Maclellan and hiring from within, he reportedly won Ted over by saying "this is all the ways in which you/we have f*cked up. If the Wizards were to promote from within (be it Tommy Sheppard or someone else), the candidate would likely have to show ways in which he was not in lock-step with Grunfeld for some time, as well as demonstrated what he advocated for and what the impact would have been (in addition to laying out plans for the near and long term future).
— Steve Martin
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#32 » by Dark Faze » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Not having the pick should increase the possibility of Ernie leaving imo. With picks a new GM would have to quickly be brought in to handle the draft. But without picks, Ted could take his sweet time getting a new GM in place.

There's just too many reasons why Ernie should be gone this summer. Just perfect timing.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#33 » by FAH1223 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:03 pm

fishercob wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Meaning what, exactly?

Don't underestimate how lazy this owner is
dckingsfan
RealGM
And1: 15,969

Post#34 » by dckingsfan » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:35 pm

Just wondering who in the FO leaked this info...
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#35 » by nate33 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:37 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Not having the pick should increase the possibility of Ernie leaving imo. With picks a new GM would have to quickly be brought in to handle the draft. But without picks, Ted could take his sweet time getting a new GM in place.

There's just too many reasons why Ernie should be gone this summer. Just perfect timing.

Missing the playoffs should also help in this regard. The new GM would have an extra month to evaluate the roster and the cap situation before making any decisions in free agency.
WizTom
Junior
And1: 126

Post#36 » by WizTom » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:22 pm

Another reason to #FireEFG right away and give a new GM some time to evaluate and plan for both free agency AND the draft is that several teams have way too many picks this year.

At this point, before the lottery is settled, several teams have so many picks that there's no way they can use them all. Boston can't take on 7 or 8 new players. Philly, Denver, and Phoenix (Thanks, EFG!) each have 3 first rounders.

There will be picks available in trade or for purchase.

I don't think the Wiz have any trade assets unless they can bring themselves to part with _ohn Wall or Gortat, but cash shouldn't be a problem. And maybe (hopefully?) they could sign-and-trade Beal before they "EFG" themselves into giving him a max contract. Personally, I would be front-and-center supporting a sign-and-trade of Beal for Kevin Love or something like that, just as an example.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#37 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:23 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
fishercob wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:

Meaning what, exactly?

Don't underestimate how lazy this owner is

I don't see how one could look at the Caps since Maclellan took over and say that Ted did anything other than the right thing in hiring him, lazy or not. Given the amount of time it took them to hire someone (and what Maclellan reportedly did to get the job), I don;t think "lazy Ted" is a fair criticism in this regard.
— Steve Martin
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,776

Post#38 » by Rafael122 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:34 pm

Dark Faze wrote:Not having the pick should increase the possibility of Ernie leaving imo. With picks a new GM would have to quickly be brought in to handle the draft. But without picks, Ted could take his sweet time getting a new GM in place.

If you're firing the GM and the coach, you gotta do it Thursday. We don't know if Ted wants to buy a first rounder, we don't know if the lottery Gods are with us and we move up in the draft. You can't go into the pre-draft process without management.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#39 » by gambitx777 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:15 pm

I feel like Windhorse would not know if EG is getting canned or not because I feel like EG leaked this story to him, to take heat of him self and in a way put blame on Witt and to show ted look at all this positive reaction, that was the right move see, everything is fine now! I hope ted says pack your **** and leave. But I feel like he could promote from within, and the main interview question should be how did you feel about Jan Vesley, and what would you have offered for Morris.

I think we need a new gm asap, because if we get into the top 3 we have an asset we can use and we still should trade beal. I would do a love for beal trade in a hearts beat!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I still think denver, Philly or something like that would make a lot of sense.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#40 » by fishercob » Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:38 pm

gambitx777 wrote:I feel like Windhorse would not know if EG is getting canned or not because I feel like EG leaked this story to him, to take heat of him self and in a way put blame on Witt and to show ted look at all this positive reaction......words....

WIndhorst is a reporter and a damned good one. If he's reporting something, I would give it credence.

Bear in mind that while Ted is the Chairman and majority owner of MSE, he's got at least 15 minority partners. It's safe to say that those partners communicate among themselves, have disagreements, etc. It's very possible that Windhorst's reporting of the Wittman news led back to one of them as opposed to a direct line to Ted, Ernie, etc.
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards