Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Re: 2016 NBA Playoffs Thread 

Post#781 » by montestewart » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:35 pm

gtn130 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:True that Shaq was one of the most dominant players of all time. By the same token, if Wilt and Shaq came up at the same time and Wilt had access to the training methods, sciences, machines, etc of Shaq's time, Wilt would prove to be superior to Shaq by a significant margin, imo.

but he didn't

Therefore, accurate comparison is impossible.
gtn130
Analyst
And1: 2,740

Post#782 » by gtn130 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:40 pm

montestewart wrote:
gtn130 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Yup, gtn -- everybody knows that any player today is better than any player from long ago. Gerald Green is incomparably better than Dr. J, for example.

Oh, why hold back -- on this subject at least -- gtn, Mr. "I can and I did", these opinions you are putting forth are spectacularly dim.

A professor of physics at a community college today knows more about the world than Aristotle did. But, he's still Aristotle's inferior. And, brother, so are you.... :)

Here's the thing: thinking about old players is pointless unless you're ranking by accolades or broad accomplishments, which is very boring. If you just want to sort by rings or points scored or whatever gets you off, then there is no reason to even having a discussion.

Your straw man tho is quite lol. You are clearly old

Aristotle smarter than a professor of physics at a community college? Sure, if you want to go by impact on logic, science, math, philosophy, etc. How boring, old man. In the waning years of your existence, look around you and recognize that everything you have come to appreciate in your many years pales in comparison to the ordinary and even the inferior of today. By the time I'm old, everything I think, do or say, will be in the pill that I take today.

I mean, I'm hoping I die by like age 55. Being old and useless sounds awful
gtn130
Analyst

Post#783 » by gtn130 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:44 pm

montestewart wrote:
gtn130 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:True that Shaq was one of the most dominant players of all time. By the same token, if Wilt and Shaq came up at the same time and Wilt had access to the training methods, sciences, machines, etc of Shaq's time, Wilt would prove to be superior to Shaq by a significant margin, imo.

but he didn't

lol

What comparison is even being made? Wilt could arguably have been better than Shaq if he was born in a different era? That isn't a comparison bro. That's just a wild hypothetical that is only tangentially related to this conversation.

And I don't even disagree. My entire argument is that the old players are bad because of their generation.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#784 » by montestewart » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:51 pm

gtn130 wrote:
montestewart wrote:
gtn130 wrote:
Here's the thing: thinking about old players is pointless unless you're ranking by accolades or broad accomplishments, which is very boring. If you just want to sort by rings or points scored or whatever gets you off, then there is no reason to even having a discussion.

Aristotle smarter than a professor of physics at a community college? Sure, if you want to go by impact on logic, science, math, philosophy, etc. How boring, old man. In the waning years of your existence, look around you and recognize that everything you have come to appreciate in your many years pales in comparison to the ordinary and even the inferior of today. By the time I'm old, everything I think, do or say, will be in the pill that I take today.

I mean, I'm hoping I die by like age 55. Being old and useless sounds awful

Believe me, it's all gas after like 28
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#785 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:52 pm

gtn130 wrote:
montestewart wrote:
gtn130 wrote:
but he didn't

lol

What comparison is even being made? Wilt could arguably have been better than Shaq if he was born in a different era? That isn't a comparison bro. That's just a wild hypothetical that is only tangentially related to this conversation.

And I don't even disagree. My entire argument is that the old players are bad because of their generation.

It's not a wild hypothetical. All it takes is basic common sense to think it through. Not sure why you seem so touchy about it. Anyway, end of discussion for me.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#786 » by montestewart » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Cavs are so happy they decided to walk the parade naked

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#787 » by Ruzious » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:48 pm

After JR touched the trophy, his teammates were like "That's okay, you keep it, JR. No, God no, I don't want to hold it unless it's disinfected by the Atlanta Center for Disease Control."
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,855

Post#788 » by payitforward » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:07 am

gtn130 wrote:
payitforward wrote:Yup, gtn -- everybody knows that any player today is better than any player from long ago. Gerald Green is incomparably better than Dr. J, for example.

Oh, why hold back -- on this subject at least -- gtn, Mr. "I can and I did", these opinions you are putting forth are spectacularly dim.

A professor of physics at a community college today knows more about the world than Aristotle did. But, he's still Aristotle's inferior. And, brother, so are you.... :)

Oh, I am -- and you will be too one day. I mean if you're lucky. In the meantime, while you're young, enjoy knowing everything while having experienced next to nothing. I remember that state, and it was kind of fun. Not as much fun as actually having experiences in the world, but don't worry -- you'll get there!

There's no doubt that in one sense your point is correct. Guys who played decades ago, in an era when conditioning wasn't the science it is today, and when not nearly as many kids had the chance even to learn a sport at a high level, weren't elite athletes at the level of today's players.

And, I imagine that process of change and improvement will continue, so that the guys you rank high today will some day be dismissed compared to the guys playing then. No doubt when that happens you'll be complaining that it's unfair.

You'll be right too. For the moment, however, you'll just have to live with being wrong.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gtn130
Analyst

Post#789 » by gtn130 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:15 am

payitforward wrote:
gtn130 wrote:

Oh, I am -- and you will be too one day. I mean if you're lucky. In the meantime, while you're young, enjoy knowing everything while having experienced next to nothing. I remember that state, and it was kind of fun. Not as much fun as actually having experiences in the world, but don't worry -- you'll get there!

There's no doubt that in one sense your point is correct. Guys who played decades ago, in an era when conditioning wasn't the science it is today, and when not nearly as many kids had the chance even to learn a sport at a high level, weren't elite athletes at the level of today's players.

And, I imagine that process of change and improvement will continue, so that the guys you rank high today will some day be dismissed compared to the guys playing then. No doubt when that happens you'll be complaining that it's unfair.

You'll be right too. For the moment, however, you'll just have to live with being wrong.

lol

Return to Washington Wizards