ImageImageImageImageImage

The 2017 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: The 2017 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#141 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:13 pm

queridiculo wrote:Swanigan has a ton of skills and looks like a throwback inside with a solid jumper too boot, but I'd worry about his cement feet.

Might be better suited to play as an undersized center, he's quite plodding for an NBA 4.

Has made quite the transformation with his body, so it looks like there's some desire to put in the work, but he still needs to shed quite a few pounds.

I'd worry whether he can stay committed to being in shape when he's not around the team or when he's not getting a lot of playing time as a rook.

Would be a great addition for sure.

We're 180 degrees apart, q.

I'd bet on him being a cross between Alan Williams and a poor man's Charles Barkley by the time he gets grown man strong. He's a basketball player who will clearly be a good NBA player.

The counter arguments are Jared Sullinger and Michael Sweetney.

Time will tell, queridiculo.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#142 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:15 pm

queridiculo wrote:2017 looks like a loaded draft class, good chance Washington won't have a pick when it's all said and done.

Violent agreement at this point.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#143 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:20 pm

In this draft loaded with PGs, gotta include Devonte Graham of 2nd ranked Kansas. He's a lot like Avery Bradley - though a little more of a PG. An excellent defender with 3 point range who can handle and pass solidly if unspectacularly. Very good athlete. Because of that 6'2 180 type build, he gets overlooked as a tweener. Teams with big PG's (like the Wiz) can play him at the 2 and have him defend the best penetrating guard on the opponent. Ranked as the 37th pick by Draftexpress.com.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#144 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Jarrett Allen and Frank Mason stood out in Kansas vs Texas.

Josh Jackson had a pretty bad performance. Forced shots and missed a lot. Was out of position defensively. Very unimpressive today.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by Ruzious » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:24 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Jarrett Allen and Frank Mason stood out in Kansas vs Texas.

Josh Jackson had a pretty bad performance. Forced shots and missed a lot. Was out of position defensively. Very unimpressive today.

Kansas has a helluva backcourt, but I think Graham is the better NBA prospect. Mason's a year older and 3 inches shorter and was just an ok player until this season. I'd be surprised if Mason gets drafted. Jackson's a frosh while Mason's a senior - Jackson's going to have an off-game now and then. He's still likely a top 5 pick - and his season stats back that up. Him, Tatum, and Isaac are all great SF prospects - put their names in a hat and pick one after the top 3 PG's.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Post#146 » by MikeTheKid » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:31 pm

DX has us taking Tyler Lydon as of right now, if he could only get a bit stronger and actually grab more boards an absolute steal
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#147 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:08 pm

MikeTheKid wrote:DX has us taking Tyler Lydon as of right now, if he could only get a bit stronger and actually grab more boards an absolute steal

I wouldn't be upset taking Lydon, but of the 2, I'd prefer TJ Leaf.
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#148 » by MikeTheKid » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:30 pm

^^^Same for me Im game with Leaf
MikeTheKid
Head Coach

Post#149 » by MikeTheKid » Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:22 pm

There's no way were going to get him but Dennis Smith Jr is unbelievable, I will however check on this Abu guy, good motor athletic scrappy big

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#150 » by Ruzious » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:17 pm

MikeTheKid wrote:There's no way were going to get him but Dennis Smith Jr is unbelievable, I will however check on this Abu guy, good motor athletic scrappy big

He's got Westbrook-like explosiveness. That dunk at the end of the game... not sure even Shaq ever threw one down with as much force - and he's only 6'2ish. Little freakazoid. When he's hitting the jumper, he's almost unstoppable.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#151 » by Ruzious » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Ruzious wrote:
MikeTheKid wrote:DX has us taking Tyler Lydon as of right now, if he could only get a bit stronger and actually grab more boards an absolute steal

I wouldn't be upset taking Lydon, but of the 2, I'd prefer TJ Leaf.

Lydon looked like a really good 4 today against 6th ranked FLaSt. He only took 8 shots, but scored 14 points - making 2 3's. And he had 11 bounds and 6 blocks. He showed he can be very effective even when he's not taking a lot of shots. Whichever of Leaf and Lydon can show that most consistently will likely get picked before the other. Not to mention - whichever can show he can gain the most muscle without losing any agility - will have a significant advantage.
RealGM

Post#152 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:09 am

Tyler Lydon?

This kid is intriguing. Thought of John Leuer, Yi Jianlian, Tayshaun Prince, Steve Novak, and Kyle Korver (among others) when I watched him. Dunks with two hands a BIT like Birdman, Chris Anderson.

I prefer TJ Leaf, who's more fluid and will evade contact. Lydon's pretty good. Need to learn more but LEAF seems the better prospect to me.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#153 » by Ruzious » Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:52 pm

Leaf and Lydon both go about 6'10 225ish and will likely go very close to each other, and there's yet another 6'10 PF who could end up right around them - Wake Forest's John Collins - who's a good 10 or so pounds heavier. Even though he's a sophomore, he's younger than a lof of freshman at 19 - won't turn 20 till September. Unlike Leaf and Lydon, he doesn't have the makings of a stretch 4; he's more of a 4/5. He's a tremendous rebounder, good shot-blocker, and becoming a dominant scorer. He may not fit as well for the Wiz as Leaf and Lydon, but I think he's got more potential as a basketball player, and he's just getting better as the schedule gets harder. Last 4 games - 33 of 46 FG's, and he's made at least 5 FT's each game. He's not a passer, but when you shoot over 60% from the field and get to the foul line 9.8 time per 40 minutes, why should you pass? He has been getting in foul trouble, but that's part of being a teenager in the whistle-happy ACC. He has the frame to add some more muscle and could figure in as a center/PF in the NBA. His measurements will be very interesting. If I were starting a team, I'd pick him ahead of Leaf and Lydon.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#154 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:42 pm

Not sold on Hart. I think Jenkins has a better NBA game.

Btw: Jay Wright is a big whiner.
In Rizzo we trust
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#155 » by Ruzious » Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:57 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Not sold on Hart. I think Jenkins has a better NBA game.

Btw: Jay Wright is a big whiner.

I think Bridges is Nova's 2nd best prospect. Jenkins has a pretty jump shot, but I don't see him as being an NBA prospect.
popper
Veteran
And1: 365

Post#156 » by popper » Thu Feb 2, 2017 7:02 pm

Next year's roster looks like 13 players under contract (assuming we exercise team option on Ochefu, a big if at this point). We lose two guards, Burke and Thorton, and enter the draft with one proven PG. I hope Sato spends the off season working on his 3 point shot and gaining 8-10 lbs of muscle. If that happens and Mclellan continues to develop then we'd have two very good guards and two semi-adequate backups.

Assuming the roster above is how we enter the draft, it makes sense to me to draft the best combo guard available in order to leave one roster spot open. Also assuming he'd be in the same tier as the best alternative positional slots available. Who is the best combo guard in the draft available around the 20th pick?
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#157 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 2, 2017 7:43 pm

popper wrote:Next year's roster looks like 13 players under contract (assuming we exercise team option on Ochefu, a big if at this point). We lose two guards, Burke and Thorton, and enter the draft with one proven PG. I hope Sato spends the off season working on his 3 point shot and gaining 8-10 lbs of muscle. If that happens and Mclellan continues to develop then we'd have two very good guards and two semi-adequate backups.

Assuming the roster above is how we enter the draft, it makes sense to me to draft the best combo guard available in order to leave one roster spot open. Also assuming he'd be in the same tier as the best alternative positional slots available. Who is the best combo guard in the draft available around the 20th pick?

With an emphasis on being able to play the point - which makes things tougher. You don't want to make a big stretch to fit in a combo guard, and I'm doubtful there will be one that's worthy at around 20. I think Josh Hart can play some 1 - but maybe not as a rookie. PJ Dozier of SC is another player in that boat. There are small guards like Jawun Evans and Monte Morris that are both excellent college guards but may end up like Trey Burke, because they're not real athletic - so I'd wait till the 2nd round. An interesting sleeper is Derrick White - a 6'5 combo guard on Colorado - he could be available for the Wiz in the 2nd round since he's a late bloomer who'll turn 23 in July. And of course, Melo Trimble deserves some consideration - though he's a tweener in a bad way for the NBA.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,343

Post#158 » by doclinkin » Sun Feb 5, 2017 10:21 pm

A string of rough games has had Jeremy Morgan on a down tick, but with the Wizards surging in the standings this makes him look like more of a possible target. I still like his game as a great fit for us:

A sleeper round 2 pick maybe still.
RealGM

Post#159 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Feb 6, 2017 12:57 am

Posted this on January 3rd. (Before Swanigan went off for 26/10/3/2 as #23 Purdue won at #17 Maryland)

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:A player to watch:

Caleb Swanigan, 19-yr old Sophomore, Purdue
18.5 points, 13.0 rebounds, 2.9 assists, 56.1% FG, 77.1 %FT, 3.1 turnovers per game

http://www.rotowire.com/cbasketball/player.htm?id=5670&refer=SportsRef
Swanigan powered Purdue with 28 points and 22 rebounds in the overtime loss to Minnesota on Sunday. He hit a layup to send the game to the extra period.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Caleb-Swanigan-71578/

Standing 6-9 in shoes and 247 pounds with a 7-4 wingspan and 9-1 standing reach, Swanigan's physical profile is intriguing and concerning at once when projecting him to the NBA. He's got a strong lower body and excellent wingspan and reach, which he uses to make an impact as a defensive rebounder and post threat. However, the 19-year old has a very wide frame, is flat-footed and lacks lateral quickness, muscle definition and explosion as a finisher and rim protector.
Bye bye Beal.
dangermouse
Lead Assistant
And1: 814

Post#160 » by dangermouse » Mon Feb 6, 2017 5:07 am

I'm sold on Lydon. I'll have to check out Leaf...

Would be great to have a stretch 4 to develop behind Morris. And not just a big with one NBA skill either, dude seems to be quite athletic. A bit more beef on his bones without losing quickness and he could be a really good piece down the line to replace Morris.
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:
NatP4 wrote:but why would the pacers want Mahinmi's contract

Well, in fairness, we took Mike Pence off their hands. Taking back Mahinmi is the least they can do.

Return to Washington Wizards