The 2017 NBA Draft Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,307

Re: The 2017 NBA Draft Thread 

Post#521 » by NatP4 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:59 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Error Afflalo wrote:It's telling that top teams with cap issues like GSW (Bell, McCaw) and LAC (Evans, Thornwell) see the value in spending money for cheap developmental talent. We're a middling team with cap issues that doesn't think outside the box. I really hate this front office's philosophy and approach.

As some of said, GSW nailed it yet again when they bought the 38th pick in the draft for 3.5 million and picked Jordan Bell - who I said is the closest thing to Draymond Green in the draft - even if he can't shoot yet. Well, Jordan Bell's final line the other night: 5 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals, 6 blocks, 2/2 FG, +27 in a game his team lost. How many players can score just 5 points and steal the show like that? We don't have a player like that. They got him for cash that doesn't count against anything - and they're going to pay him the league minimum this season and next. And because of his D, they're saving millions that they would have paid for a veteran big.

If we drafted McCaw and Bell, they would be on the bench this season behind Jason Smith and Jodie Meeks, you don't get the value part without actually letting them play
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#522 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:08 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
Error Afflalo wrote:It's telling that top teams with cap issues like GSW (Bell, McCaw) and LAC (Evans, Thornwell) see the value in spending money for cheap developmental talent. We're a middling team with cap issues that doesn't think outside the box. I really hate this front office's philosophy and approach.

As some of said, GSW nailed it yet again when they bought the 38th pick in the draft for 3.5 million and picked Jordan Bell - who I said is the closest thing to Draymond Green in the draft - even if he can't shoot yet. Well, Jordan Bell's final line the other night: 5 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals, 6 blocks, 2/2 FG, +27 in a game his team lost. How many players can score just 5 points and steal the show like that? We don't have a player like that. They got him for cash that doesn't count against anything - and they're going to pay him the league minimum this season and next. And because of his D, they're saving millions that they would have paid for a veteran big.

If we drafted McCaw and Bell, they would be on the bench this season behind Jason Smith and Jodie Meeks, you don't get the value part without actually letting them play

They're both going to play significant roles on the world champs. Somehow, I think they'd earn pt if they were on the Wiz - with one of the worst benches in the NBA.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DANNYLANDOVER
Veteran
And1: 438

Post#523 » by DANNYLANDOVER » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:

Bull crap! Your rhetoric is getting tiring. Absolve Ernie of all wrongdoing and blame it on coach Brooks for not playing scrubs. Pretty sure if Ernie actually found good, young players, coach Brooks would play them.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#524 » by NatP4 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:25 pm

DANNYLANDOVER wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:As some of said, GSW nailed it yet again when they bought the 38th pick in the draft for 3.5 million and picked Jordan Bell - who I said is the closest thing to Draymond Green in the draft - even if he can't shoot yet. Well, Jordan Bell's final line the other night: 5 points, 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 5 steals, 6 blocks, 2/2 FG, +27 in a game his team lost. How many players can score just 5 points and steal the show like that? We don't have a player like that. They got him for cash that doesn't count against anything - and they're going to pay him the league minimum this season and next. And because of his D, they're saving millions that they would have paid for a veteran big.

Bull crap! Your rhetoric is getting tiring. Absolve Ernie of all wrongdoing and blame it on coach Brooks for not playing scrubs. Pretty sure if Ernie actually found good, young players, coach Brooks would play them.

My rhetoric gets tiring? people on this board blame Ernie for Bojan playing over Oubre by saying "brooks didn't wanna show up his boss" :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know for a fact that Jordan Bell would not play one second over Jason Smith on this team, and McCaw would be sitting on the bench behind Marcus Thornton. All of you guys will see after this year when some of our younger guys hopefully get to play, since you insist on being ignorant about Brooks' history, whether its playing Derrick Fisher over Jeremy Lamb or Nick Collison over Perry Jones.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#525 » by Dat2U » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:34 pm

NatP4 wrote:
DANNYLANDOVER wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

My rhetoric gets tiring? people on this board blame Ernie for Bojan playing over Oubre by saying "brooks didn't wanna show up his boss" :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know for a fact that Jordan Bell would not play one second over Jason Smith on this team, and McCaw would be sitting on the bench behind Marcus Thornton. All of you guys will see after this year when some of our younger guys hopefully get to play, since you insist on being ignorant about Brooks' history, whether its playing Derrick Fisher over Jeremy Lamb or Nick Collison over Perry Jones.

Yeah obviously Brooks was an idiot for not playing Perry Jones. :lol:

It's funny to watch you trash the coach for not playing fringe prospects over and over again.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#526 » by NatP4 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:42 pm

Dat2U wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
DANNYLANDOVER wrote:Bull crap! Your rhetoric is getting tiring. Absolve Ernie of all wrongdoing and blame it on coach Brooks for not playing scrubs. Pretty sure if Ernie actually found good, young players, coach Brooks would play them.

Yeah obviously Brooks was an idiot for not playing Perry Jones. :lol:

It's funny to watch you trash the coach for not playing fringe prospects over and over again.

Jeremy Lamb isn't a fringe prospect. Perry Jones started that season with back to back to back 20 point games and a 30 point game against the clippers only to be thrown back into the doghouse in favor of the Nick Collison playing Small forward experiment, which was hilarious. Also played Sefolosha over Harden and Fisher over Reggie Jackson regularly. Thunder fans hate the guy for a reason, they must all be wrong also.

please explain to me how a 2nd round pick or undrafted player comes to the wizards and leaves the "fringe prospect" category under Scott Brooks? It's not even possible. BROOKS LITERALLY USED BURKE JENNINGS AND THORNTON AS HIS BACKUP BACKCOURT ALL SEASON AND YOU DEFEND THAT. asinine.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#527 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:39 pm

NatP4 wrote:
DANNYLANDOVER wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

You know for a fact that Jordan Bell would not play one second over Jason Smith on this team, and McCaw would be sitting on the bench behind Marcus Thornton
. All of you guys will see after this year when some of our younger guys hopefully get to play, since you insist on being ignorant about Brooks' history, whether its playing Derrick Fisher over Jeremy Lamb or Nick Collison over Perry Jones.

Stop. I'm not one who puts much stock on SL play, but you'd have to be blind to watch GS's team and not see that Bell and McCaw are going to make their mark in the NBA.

And your examples trying to make Brooks look bad are laughable.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
NatP4
RealGM

Post#528 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:52 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
DANNYLANDOVER wrote:Bull crap! Your rhetoric is getting tiring. Absolve Ernie of all wrongdoing and blame it on coach Brooks for not playing scrubs. Pretty sure if Ernie actually found good, young players, coach Brooks would play them.

You know for a fact that Jordan Bell would not play one second over Jason Smith on this team, and McCaw would be sitting on the bench behind Marcus Thornton
. All of you guys will see after this year when some of our younger guys hopefully get to play, since you insist on being ignorant about Brooks' history, whether its playing Derrick Fisher over Jeremy Lamb or Nick Collison over Perry Jones.

Stop. I'm not one who puts much stock on SL play, but you'd have to be blind to watch GS's team and not see that Bell and McCaw are going to make their mark in the NBA.

Brooks makes himself look bad. He played Brandon Jennings at shooting guard (yes the one that shoots 27% from the field) next to John wall in every single game of the eastern conference semi finals.

I feel like McCaw already contributed on a championship team as a rookie so no it's not much of a stretch to say that he's a solid NBA player. Lol, I
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#529 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:04 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Brooks makes himself look bad. He played Brandon Jennings at shooting guard (yes the one that shoots 27% from the field) next to John wall in every single game of the eastern conference semi finals.

I feel like McCaw already contributed on a championship team as a rookie so no it's not much of a stretch to say that he's a solid NBA player. Lol, I

Not sure why I'm wasting time responding, but you're the only one who said McCaw wouldn't play for the Wiz. And Brooks played Jennings out of necessity. Sato looked scared of his own shadow on the occasions he did shoot. Defenses were daring Sato to shoot.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#530 » by montestewart » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Stop. I'm not one who puts much stock on SL play, but you'd have to be blind to watch GS's team and not see that Bell and McCaw are going to make their mark in the NBA.

Not sure why I'm wasting time responding, but you're the only one who said McCaw wouldn't play for the Wiz. And Brooks played Jennings out of necessity. Sato looked scared of his own shadow on the occasions he did shoot. Defenses were daring Sato to shoot.

According to the Constitution, mods can't put anyone on ignore.

NatP4
RealGM

Post#531 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:56 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Stop. I'm not one who puts much stock on SL play, but you'd have to be blind to watch GS's team and not see that Bell and McCaw are going to make their mark in the NBA.

What? I said McCaw wouldn't play under Brooks? Are you playing dumb now? Brooks played Brandon Jennings next to wall instead of next to Beal out of necessity? Now that's the worst take I've read on this board all season long? Do you pay attention to stats at all? I mean what are you even saying? Satoransky who ranked 9th in DRPM can't defend? And Brandon Jennings who shot 27% from the field and 20% from 3 was used next to wall as an off ball guard in the playoffs out of necessity?

And every single rookie on other teams that puts up 10 point in a summer league game would've been a huge contributor for us even though Brooks didn't play any rookies in the playoffs at all whatsoever. Got it. Truly brilliant stuff.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#532 » by Ruzious » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:06 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

What? I said McCaw wouldn't play under Brooks? Are you playing dumb now? Brooks played Brandon Jennings next to wall instead of next to Beal out of necessity? Now that's the worst take I've read on this board all season long? Do you pay attention to stats at all? I mean what are you even saying? Satoransky who ranked 9th in DRPM can't defend? And Brandon Jennings who shot 27% from the field and 20% from 3 was used next to wall as an off ball guard in the playoffs out of necessity?

And every single rookie on other teams that puts up 10 point in a summer league game would've been a huge contributor for us even though Brooks didn't play any rookies in the playoffs at all whatsoever. Got it. Truly brilliant stuff.

I'll try this one last time. Brooks didn't have anyone like McCaw on the bench to play backup 2. If he did, he would have played him.
NatP4
RealGM

Post#533 » by NatP4 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:11 pm

Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:Not sure why I'm wasting time responding, but you're the only one who said McCaw wouldn't play for the Wiz. And Brooks played Jennings out of necessity. Sato looked scared of his own shadow on the occasions he did shoot. Defenses were daring Sato to shoot.

I'll try this one last time. Brooks didn't have anyone like McCaw on the bench to play backup 2. If he did, he would have played him.

Based on what? Him never getting a single personnel decision right the entire season? Plenty of data has been posted on this board to show Satoransky is the better player than Burke/Jennings/Thornton, same with Sheldon Mac, yet you choose to ignore it and side with your eye test, which is hilariously wrong. We would've been better had both of those guys been on the court despite them being a 2nd round pick and an undrafted guy. Everytime Bojan stole minutes from Kelly Oubre it hurt our team, every time Jason Smith stole minutes from Otto Porter at the 4 it hurt our team. He has an entire tenure in OKC as evidence of his awful personnel decisions, yet you choose to be ignorant.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,703

Post#534 » by montestewart » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:13 pm

NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:
NatP4 wrote:

Based on what? Him never getting a single personnel decision right the entire season? Plenty of data has been posted on this board to show Satoransky is the better player than Burke/Jennings/Thornton, same with Sheldon Mac, yet you choose to ignore it and side with your eye test, which is hilariously wrong. We would've been better had both of those guys been on the court despite them being a 2nd round pick and an undrafted guy. Everytime Bojan stole minutes from Kelly Oubre it hurt our team, every time Jason Smith stole minutes from Otto Porter at the 4 it hurt our team. He has an entire tenure in OKC as evidence of his awful personnel decisions, yet you choose to be ignorant.

Imagine how much better the Wizards would have been had they listened to you.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,348

Post#535 » by Kanyewest » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:04 pm

montestewart wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I'll try this one last time. Brooks didn't have anyone like McCaw on the bench to play backup 2. If he did, he would have played him.

Imagine how much better the Wizards would have been had they listened to you.

payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#536 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:00 am

I'm with Kanye on this. Perhaps it will sound strange coming from me, but isn't there some other tone in which we could discuss this subject?

No one can know what Brooks would have or wouldn't have done in a situation that didn't exist. Hence, there's a lot of flame going back & forth from people on both sides of a non-issue.

That doesn't mean one can't speculate.

Brooks played Sheldon 287 minutes. I like Sheldon, but Patrick McCaw is a better player than Sheldon. That fact does allow one to speculate that Brooks might have played McCaw a lot more than he played Sheldon.

OTOH, Brooks played Thornton 555 minutes (in 2/3 of a season). Yet, Sheldon was a better player than Thornton. That fact does allow one to speculate that Brooks might have played McCaw less than he played for Golden State -- obviously a better team than the Wizards.

There is simply no way to know. So, Nat, you're just giving an opinion. But, so are those of you chastising Nat for that opinion -- you're just giving a different opinion!

What's incontrovertible is that our GM has never done what GS just did two Summers in a row: he's never bought an extra R2 pick & used it to take a young player with a lot of promise. Speculation about what Brooks might or might not do doesn't change that fact.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
gambitx777
General Manager
And1: 1,730

Post#537 » by gambitx777 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:37 am

payitforward wrote:I'm with Kanye on this. Perhaps it will sound strange coming from me, but isn't there some other tone in which we could discuss this subject?

No one can know what Brooks would have or wouldn't have done in a situation that didn't exist. Hence, there's a lot of flame going back & forth from people on both sides of a non-issue.

Brooks played Sheldon 287 minutes. I like Sheldon, but Patrick McCaw is a better player than Sheldon. That fact does allow one to speculate that Brooks might have played McCaw a lot more than he played Sheldon.

OTOH, Brooks played Thornton 555 minutes (in 2/3 of a season). Yet, Sheldon was a better player than Thornton. That fact does allow one to speculate that Brooks might have played McCaw less than he played for Golden State -- obviously a better team than the Wizards.

There is simply no way to know. So, Nat, you're just giving an opinion. But, so are those of you chastising Nat for that opinion -- you're just giving a different opinion!

What's incontrovertible is that our GM has never done what GS just did two Summers in a row: he's never bought an extra R2 pick & used it to take a young player with a lot of promise. Speculation about what Brooks might or might not do doesn't change that fact.

See if you look at the box scores whe Mac and McCaw plaey similar minutes their production was similar, the only way to know right now who is turely better would be for them to play the same minutes on the same team and compare or for them to at least play the same amount of minutes. Because one could make the case that if Mac had more minutes he might even look better than MaCaw Because they averaged similar pergame numbers but Mac averaged 9.6 minutes a game to Macaws 15. over the course of the season. So, While my focus for the case for McCaw over Mac would be more so on the fact that he is 21 and Mac is 24.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,868

Post#538 » by payitforward » Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:06 pm

gambitx777 wrote:
payitforward wrote:I'm with Kanye on this. Perhaps it will sound strange coming from me, but isn't there some other tone in which we could discuss this subject?

See if you look at the box scores whe Mac and McCaw plaey similar minutes their production was similar, the only way to know right now who is turely better would be for them to play the same minutes on the same team and compare or for them to at least play the same amount of minutes. Because one could make the case that if Mac had more minutes he might even look better than MaCaw Because they averaged similar pergame numbers but Mac averaged 9.6 minutes a game to Macaws 15. over the course of the season. So, While my focus for the case for McCaw over Mac would be more so on the fact that he is 21 and Mac is 24.

What you write is true. There wasn't a lot of difference at all between their level of productivity last season.

McCaw wins on shooting/scoring -- he had a higher TS%, but Sheldon's actually wasn't terrible -- certainly not as bad as his 3pt. % would make you expect. He was above average for a wing on 2pt. shots, he got to the line at an above average rate, & he shot over 85% on those FTs.

But Sheldon was a bit better than McCaw overall on the non-scoring stuff.

The result is that McCaw was slightly better than Sheldon on a per40 minute basis. But it wasn't a meaningful difference.

In that sense, you are right again, my statement that McCaw "is a better player than Sheldon" really does mean that being a full 3 years younger he is a better prospect than Sheldon.

So you could argue that Brooks wouldn't have played McCaw much, precisely b/c he is so young. Then again, McCaw is the same age as Oubre, who played 1600+ minutes!

IOW, pure & simple, there's just no way to know.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#540 » by Ruzious » Tue Nov 7, 2017 11:11 pm

Return to Washington Wizards