ImageImageImageImageImage

KD2DC in the Near Future?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

KD2DC in the Near Future? 

Post#1 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 9, 2016 8:22 am

Expectations in Golden State are pretty much championship or bust. Nothing less than around 65 or more wins and AT LEAST and NBA Finals appearance this season will suffice; barring an injury to Steph Curry or Draymond Green or KD.

I think bust is likely.

Washington potentially has all kinds of trade assets if Oubre or Porter or Beal blossoms this season. Morris and Gortat have real good contracts.

Durant still has a home town. He is a Redskins fan (unlike Dallas Cowboy fan, John Wall--who could easily be included in a three-way deal to Sacramento or elsewhere).

I'm just thinking out loud. Stirring the pot...

Sent from my LG-H345 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Re: KD2DC in the Near Future? 

Post#2 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 9, 2016 8:25 am

Oh yeah, I forgot to add: Promote EG. Hire Troy Weaver as GM. Maybe do something else radical, like bring in Carmelo Anthony to be PF if KG is at SF.

Somerhing to ponder...

Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#3 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 9, 2016 2:05 pm

Sorry CCJ. I just don't see it. If Durant doesn't win a championship in Golden State this year, it's not like he's going to suddenly think DC is a better option. Our team sucks. He'll either stay in Golden State for a few years and keep trying, or go to LA or NY or someplace like that.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,150

Post#4 » by AFM » Sun Oct 9, 2016 2:23 pm

Actually I think his chances of coming here are better if he wins a title with GS this year. Gets that monkey off his back.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#5 » by Dat2U » Sun Oct 9, 2016 4:32 pm

I don't see Golden State busting. Keep in mind in order to lose they had to have:

*Curry at less than 100%,
*lose Draymond Green for a game and have the refs in his head
*lose Andrew Bogut to injury
*have Andre Iguodala operating at about 50% with a bad back (and he was the finals MVP the year before)
*have Harrison Barnes perform a disappearing act missing every single OPEN jumper he took over the course of the last 3 games

All this had to occur to lose in the last minute of game 7 of the Championship series where LeBron & Kyrie balled out of their minds.

Now you basically add an elite guy in Kevin Durant for Harrison Barnes and expect it to bust? I seriously doubt it. They could lose Klay and not miss a beat.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,301

Post#6 » by nate33 » Sun Oct 9, 2016 6:49 pm

Dat2U wrote:I don't see Golden State busting. Keep in mind in order to lose they had to have:

*have Andre Iguodala operating at about 50% with a bad back (and he was the finals MVP the year before)
*have Harrison Barnes perform a disappearing act missing every single OPEN jumper he took over the course of the last 3 games

All this had to occur to lose in the last minute of game 7 of the Championship series where LeBron & Kyrie balled out of their minds.

Now you basically add an elite guy in Kevin Durant for Harrison Barnes and expect it to bust? I seriously doubt it. They could lose Klay and not miss a beat.

Yup. This is probably the best team ever assembled and easily the best offensive team ever assembled. Meanwhile, the rest of the league is relatively devoid of great teams with the possible exception of Cleveland.
RealGM

Post#7 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:46 am

The Lakers had the best team ever assembled (prior to the Bull or Warriors). That team didn't win a championship.

Kevin Durant's shots will come at the expense of Curry, Thompson, and Green. Something in the chemistry will change. GS might not be better at all.
Bye bye Beal.
Dark Faze
Head Coach
And1: 2,011

Post#8 » by Dark Faze » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:29 am

I don't have any interest. Know it sounds like a jilted lover thing, maybe it is, but I don't want him anymore.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#9 » by Dat2U » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:17 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Lakers had the best team ever assembled (prior to the Bull or Warriors). That team didn't win a championship.

Kevin Durant's shots will come at the expense of Curry, Thompson, and Green. Something in the chemistry will change. GS might not be better at all.

Your comparing apples to oranges. What in the hell does the Lakers have to do with the current version of the Warriors? I don't see any Kobe's & Dwight's on this team. Nor do I see a washed up star like Steve Nash. Different players, different coach, different chemistry. Durant's shots will come in place of Bricklaying Harrison Barnes & siphoning a few of the difficult shots Klay & Steph had to force up each night. It makes everyone's life easier. Curry probably won't feel the need to jack it up from 35 ft too much anymore. As long as they move the ball, they'll probably be impossible to stop.

Since you tend to root for the underdog you probably want them to fail but it's hard to actually rationalize a legitimate reason why they will fail.
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: KD2DC in the Near Future? 

Post#10 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:46 am

Dark Faze wrote:I don't have any interest. Know it sounds like a jilted lover thing, maybe it is, but I don't want him anymore.

I felt this way, also.

Don't really even know what made me post.

Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#11 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:47 am

Dat2U wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:The Lakers had the best team ever assembled (prior to the Bull or Warriors). That team didn't win a championship.

Your comparing apples to oranges. What in the hell does the Lakers have to do with the current version of the Warriors? I don't see any Kobe's & Dwight's on this team. Nor do I see a washed up star like Steve Nash. Different players, different coach, different chemistry. Durant's shots will come in place of Bricklaying Harrison Barnes & siphoning a few of the difficult shots Klay & Steph had to force up each night. It makes everyone's life easier. Curry probably won't feel the need to jack it up from 35 ft too much anymore. As long as they move the ball, they'll probably be impossible to stop.

Since you tend to root for the underdog you probably want them to fail but it's hard to actually rationalize a legitimate reason why they will fail.

I love it when I get Dat riled up.

Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#12 » by Ruzious » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:34 pm

I'd take him in a NY minute, a GS minute... pretty much any minute. But I'll probably never understand why he thought GS was the right move for him. As far as his legacy, he put himself in a no-win situation. And if GS doesn't win the title, he's going to take a lot of "heat".
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,342

Post#13 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Curry will lead the league in assists is all that will happen. Iguodala will play a somewhat less, which will affect defense, though he was trailing off.

And I think we will see some teams start to play Big instead, knowing they are hopelessly outclassed in the perimeter game, and need to alter the metagame. Some of this goes to a PIF pet stat the offensive rebound. I think there's an opportunity to exploit there. The success of a Steven Adams, and LeBJ/Tristan frontcourt suggests one way to attack the Ws is by going big and making them pay if you can. If DeAndre Jordan/Griffin were set free to chase loose boards I bet Clips/Ws contests might see some wild swings of play styles. The Clips are losing a few points a game in following the Spurs 'run on every shot make or miss' transition defense orthodoxy. Defensive ranking suggests they're doing alright anyway by it, but if you know you are outclassed might as well use whatever advantage you may have.

Pistons, Blazers, Cavs, Utah, and if the Clips free up their front court, I'm curious how these teams look against small ball teams.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,342

Post#14 » by doclinkin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:58 pm

I do think once KD wins a ring he may look elsewhere. maybe think about coming home But pessimist optimist pestimist says if we get him ever I am concerned about possible declining health then.
RealGM

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:41 pm

Glad and thankful for well thought responses from so many.

:)

Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#16 » by FAH1223 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:34 am

nate33 wrote:
Dat2U wrote:I don't see Golden State busting. Keep in mind in order to lose they had to have:

Yup. This is probably the best team ever assembled and easily the best offensive team ever assembled. Meanwhile, the rest of the league is relatively devoid of great teams with the possible exception of Cleveland.

Don't count out the Spurs. They'll slip defensively without Duncan but Gasol is an adequate replacement with his offensive game.

Other than that, there's no one outside of those 3 teams with any prayers of winning it all.

It'll be GSW-CLE part 3 in June.
RealGM

Post#17 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:50 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Dat2U wrote:

I love it when I get Dat riled up.

What in the hell does the Lakers have to do with the current version of the Warriors?
This is an analogy. Did some research. I was wrong. The great 1971-1972 Lakers won 33 straight and DID win the championship.

Good news: I was RIGHT the next season. :D 1972-1973 Lakers won 60 games but lost in the finals. http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/1973.html

Your comparing apples to oranges.
:nod:

Dat, I think a Detroit Pistons' bad boy, bully ball, beat their ass might win in the FInals over GS.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#18 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 12, 2016 1:31 pm

FAH1223 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Don't count out the Spurs. They'll slip defensively without Duncan but Gasol is an adequate replacement with his offensive game.

Other than that, there's no one outside of those 3 teams with any prayers of winning it all.

It'll be GSW-CLE part 3 in June.

Spurs are the New England Patriots of the NBA. Pop = Beliceck.

I've already pencilled Kawhi Leonard in for MVP. Look for a big pre free-agency year from Paddy Mills. How do you defend both Gasol and LMA? Then Dedmon comes in when they need a big defender - playing like Mahinmi at a small fraction of the price. They really like Murray - their draft pick - but can he shoot? I probably asked that same question about Kawhi when he was a rookie.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,969

Post#19 » by FAH1223 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Ruzious wrote:Spurs are the New England Patriots of the NBA. Pop = Beliceck.

I've already pencilled Kawhi Leonard in for MVP. Look for a big pre free-agency year from Paddy Mills. How do you defend both Gasol and LMA? Then Dedmon comes in when they need a big defender - playing like Mahinmi at a small fraction of the price. They really like Murray - their draft pick - but can he shoot? I probably asked that same question about Kawhi when he was a rookie.

Indeed.

Kawhi could also win DPOY again. I liked the Murray pick in June myself, great value for where they picked him.

Ginobili also will be decent at 18-20 minutes per game... he was very productive last year in the regular season with Pop limiting his minutes. If Murray comes on quickly, they'll really have a nice rotation in the back court. Green is still good defensively, I look for his 3 point shooting to come back to form.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,464

Post#20 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:12 pm

"Of course he'll come home... next year," says Ernie.

"You're the best," says Ted lovingly.
In Rizzo we trust

Return to Washington Wizards