RIP Greg Ballard

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

RIP Greg Ballard 

Post#1 » by keynote » Wed Nov 9, 2016 10:14 pm

:cry:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18009126/greg-ballard-played-11-nba-seasons-dies-61

Greg Ballard, who played 11 NBA seasons and helped the Washington Bullets win the league title in his rookie season, died Wednesday from prostate cancer. He was 61.

Ballard, a small forward who was the No. 4 overall pick out of Oregon in the 1977 draft, played in the NBA from 1977 to 1988. He played eight seasons with the Bullets (now Wizards) and two with the Golden State Warriors. After taking the 1987-88 season off, he returned to play two games for the Seattle SuperSonics and then retired.

Read on Twitter
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,112

Re: RIP Greg Ballard 

Post#2 » by AFM » Wed Nov 9, 2016 10:28 pm

RIP.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#3 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Nov 9, 2016 11:05 pm

My mom cooked food for him and his wife when they went to Grace United Methodist church.

(Mighta been Abeneezer AME. Memory fails. I was a kid but IIRC Ballard family were members of same church).

Sent from my LG-H345 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#4 » by Ruzious » Wed Nov 9, 2016 11:21 pm

Oh man, RIP. Hard to believe he was 61. It just doesn't seem that long ago when he and Kupchack were the knew kids on the block adding energy off the bench behind Unseld/Hayes/Dandridge. It was hard not to like Ballard - he was a hard-worker, good shooter, always looking serious out there. If Trevor Booker was a jump shooter, he'd be Greg Ballard.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#5 » by keynote » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:32 am

I was surprised to see him listed as a SF. I always thought of him as a burly, physical player.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
penbeast0
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
Senior Mod - NBA Player Comparisons
And1: 8,586

Post#6 » by penbeast0 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:53 am

Always seemed a classy, intelligent guy. And yeah, for a 3, he was a wide body who could slide to the 4 more easily than guard quick guards but that was the game then.
“Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination,” Andrew Lang.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,701

Post#7 » by montestewart » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:10 am

penbeast0 wrote:Always seemed a classy, intelligent guy. And yeah, for a 3, he was a wide body who could slide to the 4 more easily than guard quick guards but that was the game then.

Ballard would play a lot of PF now.

I saw him score 37 (I thought it was 38 but I just looked it up) once against Atlanta at Capital Centre. really close seats (my roommate worked with Red Auerbach's son-in-law, and he got us good tickets sometimes). I can still remember the PA bellowing GREG BALLARD! over and over. I never talked to him but apparently he was pretty well liked. He's a pretty big part of my Bullets memories. RIP
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,302

Post#8 » by dobrojim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:20 pm

RIP. So young to have gone clear.

Who can forget his role in the 78 championship?

If one could feel sorry for a guy living the NBA dream you might
have had some sympathy for Ballard who had to play regularly against
Doc and Bird.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities

Return to Washington Wizards