Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Potential Wizards Board Enhancements 

Post#1 » by pineappleheadindc » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:00 pm

Hey fellow boardies,

Want to let you know about a couple of potential things that admins have suggested to build the user experience. They've given board senior moderators (that's me for the Wiz board) the word to socialize within community members and let the community decide. So here goes. Would like to hear feedback on whether you'd like to implement some/all of these changes here.

1. Opportunity to create custom status titles.

Right now, RealGM defaults your status based on the number of posts. (Freshman, Sophomore, Pro Prospect, etc). However, if you'd like, we are technically able to maniuplate that to create custom status titles such as these from the Suns board:

If that's too small for you to read, the user "MrMiyagi" has a "Suns Forum Eternal Optimist" status title. And "gaspar" is "Suns Forum Stats Stuffer"

What the Suns board does is NOT award custom status titles pell mell, you have to earn them and Suns mods vote among themselves for final approval. If we were to undertake custom status for our users, I see us using similar methodology -- where we'd have a dedicated thread for nominations/ideas and users weigh in. Then Wiz mods do approval. And, not to seem to big brother-ish, but I'd like to keep the approval mechanism in place becasue I fear of a non family-friendly, homoerotic back-and-forth between Monte and AFM on status changes.

Looking for feedback on this item.

2. Admins recommend boards develop a means to build board-standard systems to do stuff such as creating game threads, etc.

There are lots of things that other boards do like post-game discussions, etc, that admins mentioned to me. But I'd like to concentrate on game threads. Admins suggest that a user or set of users be in charge of game thread management -- they create rules (if any) for creating game threads and, in a pinch, create them for the board. The idea is for the user community to have more control and input over their experience. And I like the concept.

We've always been kind of a laissez faire board and it's ingrained in our board culture. But if y'all think it would be good thing to find volunteer(s) to be in charge of game threads, am open to both your input and volunteers/nominations for game thread managers.

Other

Similarly, if there are things on this board which would benefit from being institutionalized in some sort of a process, let the Wiz board team know. If you're interested in doing something on a routine basis -- as a concrete example, think about things like Big A and his regular check-ins on Wizards ticket availability, let me know. If you're interested, we can carve out role for you.

Thanks a lot for your participation here. Looking forward to any thoughts you may have.

Aloha,

Pine
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."
--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"
- Yoda
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,993

Re: Potential Wizards Board Enhancements 

Post#2 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:22 pm

Pine, I just hope this thing goes well.

Whatever changes kind of need to reflect what's going on with Instagram or Twitter or other social media that seem to be a little bit more popular these days

Sent from my LG-H345 using RealGM mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,158

Post#3 » by AFM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:35 pm

I vote for FaceTime viewing parties.
pineappleheadindc
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,479

Post#4 » by pineappleheadindc » Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:45 pm

AFM wrote:I vote for FaceTime viewing parties.

OMG. ::pine shakes in fear::
"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart."

--Confucius

"Try not. Do or do not. There is no try"

- Yoda
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Post#5 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:38 am

Don't like #1. The competitor in me likes striving for the earned titles. Keep them as is.
In Rizzo we trust
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,871

Post#6 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:34 pm

1. The earned titles do give the reader a sense of context as to the person posting -- though of course that's also in the detail below the title.

The sig below post gives a chance to include self-descriptive stuff ala the examples of custom titles you show from the Suns board.

Having to get approval for a custom title seems awkward -- and definitely *not* like current social media.

In all I think this is a meh idea -- not much gain w/ too much overhead.

2. game thread management -- what problem is solved by changing this? We've got game threads. The discussion that follows in them is what matters.

3. I could see a value in having a sticky thread where people with tickets, etc. to trade or sell -- or people looking to buy tix, etc. -- could post. See this a lot on other kinds of Boards, and it might work here.
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#7 » by montestewart » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:22 pm

payitforward wrote:1. The earned titles do give the reader a sense of context as to the person posting -- though of course that's also in the detail below the title.

The sig below post gives a chance to include self-descriptive stuff ala the examples of custom titles you show from the Suns board.

Having to get approval for a custom title seems awkward -- and definitely *not* like current social media.

In all I think this is a meh idea -- not much gain w/ too much overhead.

I could see some posters enjoying custom titles, but unique posters here (from WizD to doclinkin) have unique personae already. Introducing custom titles could get a little cutesy, like the contrived character back stories in an action movie. Besides, AFM would come up with the funniest custom titles and we'd probably have to nix all of them. Maybe some other people can weigh in and sway me with some funny titles.

2. game thread management -- what problem is solved by changing this? We've got game threads. The discussion that follows in them is what matters.

I agree that we generally do fine without formalizing this, but it makes sense for few reasons: managing game thread traditions (as stated in Wiz-board rules) and maintaining interest (ie recruiting thread starters), particularly when there is a long and depressing season of disappointment. Which never happens here, right?

3. I could see a value in having a sticky thread where people with tickets, etc. to trade or sell -- or people looking to buy tix, etc. -- could post. See this a lot on other kinds of Boards, and it might work here.

I know we don't want to turn the Wiz board into a marketplace ("best online shipping experience") but I like this idea if it's kept to Wiz tickets (maybe Wiz paraphernalia or other DC tickets, but I can see that getting out of hand)
Induveca
Head Coach
And1: 724

Post#8 » by Induveca » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:16 pm

For the game threads are they making the PHP API available? If so I could create a scheduled program to create the threads 24 hours prior to game time.
AFM
General Manager

Post#9 » by AFM » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:49 pm

Induveca wrote:For the game threads are they making the PHP API available? If so I could create a scheduled program to create the threads 24 hours prior to game time.

Do you think Pine has any idea what you are talking about?

He thinks PHP is a party drug.
krii
Senior
And1: 227

Post#10 » by krii » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:22 pm

AFM wrote:
Induveca wrote:For the game threads are they making the PHP API available? If so I could create a scheduled program to create the threads 24 hours prior to game time.

Party-Hard-Pine? ;-)
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#11 » by montestewart » Sat Nov 12, 2016 9:33 pm

AFM wrote:

From Wikipedia:
α-Pyrrolidinohexiophenone (α-PHP, alpha-PHP, α-Pyrrolidinohexanophenone, PV-7) is a synthetic stimulant drug of the cathinone class developed in the 1960s[1] which has been reported as a novel designer drug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-Pyrrolidinohexiophenone

Sounds like fun!
payitforward
RealGM

Post#12 » by payitforward » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:54 pm

They say that stuff will put Ruby on rails.

(possibly an in joke...?)
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#13 » by montestewart » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:21 pm

payitforward wrote:They say that stuff will put Ruby on rails.

Enough with the sexist jokes

(maybe that's an in joke)
AFM
General Manager

Post#14 » by AFM » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:51 am

This is just a wild idea I'm throwing out there, but we could have a "Official Post A Photo Of Your Ass" thread. It would be a thread where we all post photos of our asses. Could be a LOT of fun. Just an idea.
payitforward
RealGM

Post#15 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:03 am

montestewart wrote:

Iduveca will explain. :)
WallToWall
Veteran
And1: 937

Post#16 » by WallToWall » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:21 am

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Don't like #1. The competitor in me likes striving for the earned titles. Keep them as is.

I wonder if there is a way to have both...
Then it can say something like "Ball Boy - personal towel washer" and so on.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#17 » by montestewart » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:23 am

WallToWall wrote:
long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Don't like #1. The competitor in me likes striving for the earned titles. Keep them as is.

I wonder if there is a way to have both...
Then it can say something like "Ball Boy - personal towel washer" and so on.

I'll take Ball Washer if it's available
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Induveca » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:01 am

payitforward wrote:
montestewart wrote:

If they would make the PHPBB API available I could do some pretty awesome stuff. Doubt they would other than to a mod (still doubtful). But after a template was made game threads could be auto opened with lineups and an approved layout automatically.

Surprised they haven't done this years ago. It would take all of 4 hours to get working.
Induveca
Head Coach

Post#19 » by Induveca » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:03 am

payitforward wrote:
montestewart wrote:

Hate rails! Node.js is my new fav. :D
payitforward
RealGM

Post#20 » by payitforward » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:03 pm

Induveca wrote:
payitforward wrote:
montestewart wrote:Enough with the sexist jokes

Hate rails! Node.js is my new fav. :D

For those not in the know: Node.js is a JavaScript runtime built on Chrome's V8 JavaScript engine. Node.js uses an event-driven, non-blocking I/O model that makes it lightweight and efficient. It's worth noting that Node.js' package ecosystem, npm, is the largest ecosystem of open source libraries in the world.

Got it? :)

Return to Washington Wizards