Woj: Nets trade Bogdanovic to Wizards

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Re: Woj: Nets trade Bogdanovic to Wizards 

Post#781 » by Mojo Amok » Thu Mar 9, 2017 4:20 pm

doclinkin wrote:
Mojo Amok wrote:I wouldn't consider it a horrible trade just by itself with the Nets taking on about $20 million for a late first round pick*, but the merit of the trade is to clean up a mess made recently by the very man who's executing the trade.

I'm seeing the whole "bench help" pretext as being a clever ruse.

I do think people are somewhat underrating Bojangles, though. I accidentally forgot to erase the recent Nets game, which I watched a bit of after hearing the rumors. He's not too bad and could easily go up in efficiency if receiving less defensive attention - he can certainly shoot and has some fairly deceptive ability to put the ball on the floor. He is a bad defender, but I think a bigger issue is that he really doesn't look anything like a 2-guard with his body type.

Anyway, the merits of Bojangles seem well secondary to just dumping Nicholson in a manner that's murky enough in basketball terms to confuse at least some of the critics. Classic Grunfeld.

*ok, while also gaining the services of Huckleberry Hound for 3 years.

Mojo Amok = Hoopalotta.

Jesus that was bugging me for a bit.

And I forget the prior screen name too.

Dame, I loose my cover right when I was getting in a grove. :D
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#782 » by doclinkin » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:03 pm

Dame I'm good. :clown:
AFM
General Manager
And1: 6,161

Post#783 » by AFM » Thu Mar 9, 2017 6:13 pm

DAME!
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#784 » by NatP4 » Thu Mar 9, 2017 7:19 pm

payitforward wrote:
NatP4 wrote:
stevemcqueen1 wrote:My bottom line is that, if we keep Bojan this summer, the trade was great. If he walks, it was terrible. There isn't really a middle ground. Trading a first round pick for a three month rental is a terrible return, even if that guy is absolutely brilliant for those three months. You need to be getting three or four years of return for first rounders. If we get that from Bojan, then Hell yeah it was a great trade.

Do you realize how ridiculous this sounds? What if they win the championship on a 50 point Bojan performance in game 7 of the finals and Chris McCullough becomes a perennial MVP?

Terrible trade still lol, no middle ground

You want to describe our winning the title this year and Chris McCullough becoming a great player as "middle ground," Nat? :)

What if we lose in R2 -- say in 7 games, and Bojan plays well -- then leaves in free agency? & Chris McCullough doesn't make it in the league?

How would you view the trade in retrospect if that's what happens, Nat?

my point was simply that their is more middle ground than Steve suggests. It's not all about whether or not Bojan walks. If your scenario happens, then of course its not a good trade, but lets be honest, if we lose in round 2 to the celtics or raptors, it will probably be because of some other things not Bojan related. we should beat either team.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#785 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 9, 2017 7:36 pm

Nets fan here. Glad to see that the deal is working out for both sides, Bojan's a good dude and he's in a great situation with you guys so I'm happy to see him killing it. Good luck in the playoffs.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#786 » by Wizardspride » Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:51 pm

Read on Twitter
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
NatP4
RealGM
And1: 5,316

Post#787 » by NatP4 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Read on Twitter

I mean, that's alright, but Lou Williams is putting up 14 per game on 35% shooting! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Donkey McDonkerton
General Manager
And1: 411

Post#788 » by Donkey McDonkerton » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Meliorus wrote:
Read on Twitter

Honestly Nicholson could put up similar stats as Boban on the Nets. We got the worst player in the trade.

As the saying goes, a trash team's treasure is probably trash.

Donkey McDonkerton wrote:First off, yes, EG had to make up for his mistake....which totally sucks. We should be in this situation, but we are, so here are my thoughts.

-We need bench SCORING, and Bogs gives us that. This is is #1
-nice to get rid of our 2 worst players
-Our starting 5 is legit, but we needed some help
-Bogs did kill us, and why we went to OT. 3pt shooting is nice, when he does get some run with JW, he'll be so open
-EG has been so bad, that group think ALWAYS hates everything he does. He's nowhere near as good or potentially good as MM, but that is looking really good for us right now.

Everyone needs to go back and re-read from page 1.
TheHomie
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#789 » by TheHomie » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:57 am

Bojan is great pick by Wizards...Not so good in defense,but he can shoot that 3s...Really cant wait to see Wizards in playoff with this team and now with Bojan on the bench.
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,055

Post#790 » by queridiculo » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:00 pm

Love how Bogdanovic manages to get involved in the offense beyond his three point shooting. He does a great job using his three point shot to get to the basket and despite being somewhat floor bound is a pretty good finisher inside.

His defense is a problem at times, but he makes up for it with great effort and good hands to bother opponents.

Definitely a great pick up, let's see what happens in offseason, I'll stand by judging the pickup by how it impacts our free agents decisions.
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#791 » by Meliorus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:33 pm

Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#792 » by Kanyewest » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:14 am

Meliorus wrote:http://www.bulletsforever.com/2017/3/12/14872142/bojan-bogdanovic-washington-wizards-player-analysis-double-edged-sword

Not all rainbows and butterflies.

I would like to see more clips of his defense than from his first game with the Wizards against the 76ers. Also, Bojan played pretty good defense on Gordon on the closing play of the Orlando/Washington game with a little help from Wall.
Mojo Amok
Pro Prospect
And1: 834

Post#793 » by Mojo Amok » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm not sure about that Net Rating number from NBA.com being used in that Bullets Forever article, though.

It's based on the difference between their OFFRTG and DEFRTG stats. That seems fine on the face of it, but OFFRTG seems to consistently give guys low scores compared to Basketball References ORTG wheres DEFRTG is more likely to end up being about the same (though not always).

Otto Porter 2017
OFFERTG: 110.1
DEFRTG: 105.3
ORTG: 129
DRTG: 107

Bradley Beal 2017
OFFERTG: 112
DEFRTG: 104.5
ORTG: 118
DRTG: 112

Wizards Bogey 2017
OFFERTG: 107.7
DEFRTG: 112.6
ORTG: 126
DRTG: 113

FWIW, Bogey's 'up' to -4.9 since the Bullets Forever article was written.

In Beal's case, DEFRTG was much lower than DRTG, but not so with the other two. Porter is +22 in an Impromptu Basketball Reference NetRTG (which isn't an official stat there) and Bogey is +13; that's in comparison to +4.8 and -4.9 for Porter and Bogey respectively on NBA.com.

Beal actually fares better by the NBA.com NETRTG because his DEFRTG looks a lot better than his DRTG for whatever reason.

Aside from that and to be clear, when we bring in actual plus/minus numbers, it's much more favorable to Bogey as well because that NETRTG isn't equating with getting outscored by 4.9 points per hundred possessions when he's on the court. In all the minutes he's been on the floor, we're a grand total of -6 on/off and that's including -25 in the first three games after he'd just arrived.

To go deeper into qualitative analysis, he also won at least two games games singlehandedly that we'd have been mauled in without him and you could potentially add the Toronto win to that as well.

So, while the NETRTG is a datapoint and interesting, it needs a little more context to be properly plugged into a conversation and I find the discrepancy between the Basketball Reference and NBA formulas to be confusing.
payitforward
RealGM
And1: 7,874

Post#794 » by payitforward » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:01 pm

I don't think formula-based statistical derivatives can possibly mean anything when calculated on a small sample size like Bogey's with us. Seems to me the real new info is that he's reverting to mean. In his last 4 games, he's 18-46 overall, and 3-14 from 3-point range.

It's no more of a surprise for him to have a cold shooting streak than a hot one. He's going to be the player he has been, not a different one. We had a lot of over-excited posts about what a phenom Bojan Bogadanovic was bound to be with us. No surprise... since he had a string of terrific games! As you point out, the guy has won us 2-3 games we'd otherwise have lost.

That's good enough for me at this point -- because the other up-side of the trade was that it got us out from under Ernie's stupid move in signing Nicholson. Overall, we're still in stupid-Ernie-land -- but that's not Bojan Bogdanovic's fault!
Breaking News: In a shocking development, Wizards owner Ted Leonsis has sold the NBA franchise to a consortium of participants in a discussion board devoted to the team on realgm.com. Details to follow....
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#795 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:04 pm

If Boj is gone next season, will it will been better to have Nicholson riding the pine while picking up one of these guys?
http://www.businessinsider.com/top-nba-draft-prospects-2017-3

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Meliorus
Analyst
And1: 1,185

Post#796 » by Meliorus » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:50 am

Anyone else rather have traded for McBuckets instead of Bogey? Reason being Dougie is way less turnover-prone and better defensively.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#797 » by queridiculo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:04 pm

So, is the honeymoon over for this guy yet?

Seems like a lot of the reservations people had about this guy are rearing its head.

The defense is obviously front and center, but perhaps that could be forgiven if he gave the team something else when his shot isn't falling.

Unfortunately all I see is poor rebounding, not much in the way of assists and drunken style turnovers at an alarming clip.

No point in crying over spilled milk, but this isn't a good look right now.

There's a lot of guys within reach that would have been a good fit in the draft, but what else is new.
pcbothwel
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,572

Post#798 » by pcbothwel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:15 pm

queridiculo wrote:So, is the honeymoon over for this guy yet?

Seems like a lot of the reservations people had about this guy are rearing its head.

The defense is obviously front and center, but perhaps that could be forgiven if he gave the team something else when his shot isn't falling.

Unfortunately all I see is poor rebounding, not much in the way of assists and drunken style turnovers at an alarming clip.

No point in crying over spilled milk, but this isn't a good look right now.

There's a lot of guys within reach that would have been a good fit in the draft, but what else is new.

Only 2 things matter on our side of the equation:
1) What does Bojan do this year in the post season?
2) What does McCullough do in the next/last 2 year of his rookie contract?

On the other side, it also matters who is available. To me, I thought the real interesting part of this draft was not the top 5, but guys like Patton, Hartenstein, Collins, Rabb, Giles, Leaf, etc. in the teens. If that was the pick we traded, then I WOULD BE PISSED. But I am really struggling to see legit players in the mid 20's. Swanigan, Motley, Lydon, etc. all have some skills and I am sure at least 1 or 2 players in that range will be good, but its not a real strength compared to other years.
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#799 » by queridiculo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Well, I'd add a few numbers to your equation.

1) Is Bogdanovic going to be back?
2) Is it going to affect the Porter signing?
3) Is he worth going into luxury tax for?

How Bogdanovic performs up to and including the playoffs has relatively little meaning to me, and strikes me as largely cosmetic otherwise.

The draft is a crapshoot in general and even more so once picks get into the twenties. There's always the chance that somebody slips however and some of the guys you mention like Raab, Giles and Leaf could have very well been available with a bit of maneuvering.

Washington's problem for years has been that the Wizards simply haven't been able to stop the bleeding with poor drafts and continually mortgaging the future by trading away future draft picks.

Guys like Swanigan, Motley, Adebayo, Lydon etc. might have limited upside, but they're also the type of guys that might have helped us avoid the signing of guys like Nicholson and perhaps more ideally even somebody like Mahinmi in the first place.

Under Grunfeld the Wizards are stuck in a vicious cycle of paying for past mistakes with terrible free agent guesses/contracts and panic deadline deals precisely because of how unproductive they have been in the draft.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#800 » by montestewart » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:12 pm

Mojo Amok wrote:
doclinkin wrote:
Mojo Amok wrote:I wouldn't consider it a horrible trade just by itself with the Nets taking on about $20 million for a late first round pick*, but the merit of the trade is to clean up a mess made recently by the very man who's executing the trade.

I'm seeing the whole "bench help" pretext as being a clever ruse.

I do think people are somewhat underrating Bojangles, though. I accidentally forgot to erase the recent Nets game, which I watched a bit of after hearing the rumors. He's not too bad and could easily go up in efficiency if receiving less defensive attention - he can certainly shoot and has some fairly deceptive ability to put the ball on the floor. He is a bad defender, but I think a bigger issue is that he really doesn't look anything like a 2-guard with his body type.

Anyway, the merits of Bojangles seem well secondary to just dumping Nicholson in a manner that's murky enough in basketball terms to confuse at least some of the critics. Classic Grunfeld.

*ok, while also gaining the services of Huckleberry Hound for 3 years.

Mojo Amok = Hoopalotta.

Jesus that was bugging me for a bit.

And I forget the prior screen name too.

Dame, I loose my cover right when I was getting in a grove. :D

Hey! What? How'd I miss that?

That came out of the blew.

Return to Washington Wizards