67%

Total votes: 21

stevemcqueen1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,137

Re: GT #58: Warriors @ Wizards 7 PM (CSN/NBATV/1500 AM) [2/28/17] 

Post#321 » by stevemcqueen1 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:08 pm

bsilver wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:I understand Gortat statistically is having one of his best seasons but when I watch him play, it just seems like he's not all that engaged at times. The miss layups, the ones where he's kinda leaning to the side and then it just rolls off the rim to the couple of bad passes. I get it, he's having a great year but he really looks bad at times.

I prefer it when Gortat is finishing off plays with dunks, but he's finesse player around the rim most of the time. Some games he doesn't seem to have his usual touch and is ineffective, but in general is a big plus.
Love one of his signature moves - getting called for an offensive foul, followed by hands to the head.
Has trouble on offense against good shot blockers like Whiteside and Gobert. Finesse doesn't work. Better off trying some muscle. Maybe Mahinmi should get more time against that type of center, now that he's showing signs of life.

I think his issue is that he's got zero lift on his standing vertical and has zero second bounce. He literally can not get up over the rim and finish flat footed, so he struggles finishing and getting rebounds against the big time athletes at the center position. The only way he can get off the court is if he catches the ball running downhill towards the basket and goes up off of one foot. And sometimes he actually shocks me with how far he launches from on his dunks when he is taking the entry pass on a pick and roll. But otherwise he can't jump.

People are wondering what Gortat is going to look like when he starts to decline from age. I think he already has and this is who he is now. He's a muscle bound block head and a below the rim player who wins with strength, craftiness, and good touch. He's good at what he does and he takes great care of himself and I could see him playing like this for a while. He's got those good Slavic genes like the dudes you'll see from Siberia that are like 84 years old and still felling trees and making cabins and traps from raw timber with a hand axe.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Post#322 » by dobrojim » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:18 pm

queridiculo wrote:There was an obvious discrepancy in free throw attempts but I think a lot of it had do with unlike the Warriors offense, the Wizards were rather static just trying to get to their spots and not really moving all that much off the ball beyond that.

What drives me absolutely nuts however is the constant grabbing and clutching defenders get away with against Beal.

It was called some times, but an inordinate amount of times the refs simply looked the other way.

When you're calling every little touch foul on the other end I'd at least expect the refs to be consistent in that regard.

Also, John Wall with 0 free throw attempts? Ok....

If I ever get to the game in time to make a poster, it's gonna be

Hey Refs, watch the tapes!
John Wall deserves more calls.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#323 » by Kanyewest » Wed Mar 1, 2017 7:30 pm

I wonder if Wall's comment the other day about the officiating against the Jazz played into the fact that he got 0 free throws. Or that he has around double digit technical fouls.

Read on Twitter

Return to Washington Wizards