Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: GT #66- Wiz @ Minnesota 8:00 PM 

Post#321 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:45 pm

Meliorus wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:
Meliorus wrote:

Good analysis on what's holding Wall/Beal back.

I'm sorry but this is nonsense.. are you one of those fans who just pops in and out or have you been following all season? Wall and Beal are running through the league, they have shown great chemistry. A guy like Webber doesn't watch games .. thankfully he was in the studio instead of attempting to do color commentary because dude is terrible at that also and rambles for hours.

The only point I would agree that our defense was poor on this West Coast road trip. But when NBA when teams are on a road trip they don't have time to practice or scout teams out like they would during period of the schedule where games are more spaced out. Playing a bunch of high scoring teams that push the pace, they got sucked into that style of play. They showed that they can score when they want, but when the team gets back home Brooks will have the defense locked in again.

Should have specified, IGNORE the first 2 minutes. Obviously that was just the mandatory mention of the only story the national media has put out on Wall/Beal for the past couple years.

The defense part is the substantial part, and no it's not just this road trip, it's been tier 1 garbage since the All-Star break. Allowing over 115 points to opponents, are they even trying? Look at how good Wall was defensively in 2014, Lowe always talks about how he was a disruptive fiend during that time period. If it's the knee surgery, then say so. Don't act like our defense is fine and we can just survive outscoring people. That's a recipe for a 1st round exit against Detroit.

And no I did not just pop in and out, I've missed 2 games this year.

Yeah you're right, I have seen you on here quite a bit, my mistake. I just heard that early part of the clip and was baffled that people were still parroting that false 30,000 ft view of the team.

And those numbers you're looking at are largely because of this West coast road trip, playing some of the fastest pace teams in the league where we gave up 115+ multiple times (of course several OT games included in that also).

Lowe doesn't really watch us and admitted that he doesn't see the Wiz as compelling team.. Mike Prada said on a Lowe Post season preview that John wasn't good defensively last season so he's been running with it since then. Wall has been a stud defensively many times this year, it's not like last season where he wasn't capable of staying in a defensive stance. I usually watch streams of opposing announcers to get a different perspective, and almost every game they're pointing out how impressive John is on defense compared to other elite PGs.

I don't see any bearing between what happened in these recent games and what will happen in the playoffs. Wall & Beal will bring the heat defensively in the postseason, we've seen it too many times to know that they aren't 1-way players. The 82 game season is long, tiring and you often don't have time to scout/lock in on your opponents like you would in the postseason. That's why you see poor defensive stretches like we just had even from teams like the Cavs and GSW. 82 games is a freaking long season man.. thats just how it is
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: GT #66- Wiz @ Minnesota 8:00 PM 

Post#322 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:49 pm

stevemcqueen1 wrote:Well most of our play since the AS break has been on this road trip.

They're drained and they've coasted on defense for at least half of each game. They need to get better, but It happens. None of the good guards in the league play good defense every night.

Also Gortat has become a fairly significant point of failure in the defense over the last few weeks. He was never great this season, but the guy is just not rotating or contesting shots any more. His lack of range and rim protection is killing our ability to let Wall range and ballhawk, which is a big part of what made him special in 2014. And it's also hurt our perimeter defense because Wall and Beal and Porter are cheating too far into the lane to try and help and we're getting shelled from the three point line.

Gortat is the only one of our main guys I'd be worried about. Because I don't know if he's still at the age where he can turn the switch on/off. It seems like the younger guys can do that, but he can't.

Since AS break Marcin has been sleepwalking way too often. The simple fact is that Mahinmi will probably close out games for us in the postseason.

Return to Washington Wizards