ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III) 

Post#1481 » by nate33 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:55 pm

Think about this for a minute:

Some have argued that we weren't candidates for the VC or RJ trades for financial reasons. Well, if that's true, then it follows that we fully intend to let one or both of Foye and Miller walk.

If we have the money to resign them both, then we had the money for RJ or VC. Only RJ and VC were obtained without the #5 pick.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1482 » by verbal8 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:07 am

Either Miller will play at a level that will justify giving up the 5th pick or he will be looking at taking a pay cut. I think he will likely be kept due to his versatility.

I think Foye is restricted, so he will likely be cheaper than if he was unrestricted. I think the Wizards are likely picking between Nick Young and Foye at the end of the season. If Arenas is back to form and Nick Young breaks out, then I think Foye is expendable, but the backcourt is solid.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1483 » by fishercob » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:51 pm

nate33 wrote:Think about this for a minute:

Some have argued that we weren't candidates for the VC or RJ trades for financial reasons. Well, if that's true, then it follows that we fully intend to let one or both of Foye and Miller walk.

If we have the money to resign them both, then we had the money for RJ or VC. Only RJ and VC were obtained without the #5 pick.

Perhaps, but it ignores the fact that RJ and VC are worse fits for this team than Miller and Foye. If Carter and RJ were truly the alternatives to this trade then I have no problem with it.

And yeah, Orlando has issues now -- Vince is a nice fit there and all, but they're going to have to work some...um...magic to replace Gortat, Battie, Hedo and Rafer.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1484 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:01 pm

fishercob wrote:And yeah, Orlando has issues now -- Vince is a nice fit there and all, but they're going to have to work some...um...magic to replace Gortat, Battie, Hedo and Rafer.

Bingo! Not to mention that, although Carter might be viewed as better than Turkgolu, he can't create the same mismatches that propelled Orlando to the Finals this past season. If acquiring a guard like Carter means that they are moving Lewis back to SF, not only do they now have to rebuild their entire bench, but they've also lost their primary advantage over Cleveland.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1485 » by Ruzious » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:13 pm

fishercob wrote:
nate33 wrote:Think about this for a minute:

Perhaps, but it ignores the fact that RJ and VC are worse fits for this team than Miller and Foye. If Carter and RJ were truly the alternatives to this trade then I have no problem with it.

And yeah, Orlando has issues now -- Vince is a nice fit there and all, but they're going to have to work some...um...magic to replace Gortat, Battie, Hedo and Rafer.

Exactly. VC would have been a very stupid and pandering move here, but one of Orlando's weaknesses was they didn't have someone very good at creating their own offense - so there's a chance he can help them. It'll be interesting to see if they improve with him - or if he throws off their chemistry.

As for RJ, he's just an okay small 3 with an over-sized contract and with limited versatility.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
HeyIt'sMe
Lead Assistant
And1: 127

Post#1486 » by HeyIt'sMe » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:54 pm

Orlando isn't done wheeling and dealing. If they complete a S&T for Hedo to someone like Portland, they'll net a solid player such as a Travis Outlaw, and also remember that they got Ryan Anderson in this trade as well. A sheet shooting, 21 year old big who can also remember. He'll be a solid role player off the bench.

They're also likely to sign one of McDyess, Rasheed, or Brandon Bass. Orlando is far from done.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#1487 » by mhd » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:16 pm

If I were Orlando, I'd S&T Hedo for Outlaw+Webster. Resign Gortat, and go with a lineup of:

PG: Nelson/Johnson
SG: Carter/Webster
SF: Pietrus/Outlaw
PF: Lewis/Anderson
C: Howard/Gortat

Return to Washington Wizards