ImageImageImageImageImage

Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III)

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Re: Discussing Other Teams' Moves (Part III) 

Post#1461 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:23 pm

mhd wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:How did Orlando get him without a pick?

When did Lee's potential get higher than Young's?

I think it's totally irrational to say a guy who was just given away to Orlando couldn't have been given away to the Wizards.

Simply put, it was Haywood or Carter CCJ. With Carter, it would have been too much money tied up and would have destroyed any financial sense to resign Haywood.

I get that, totally. What it says is Wizards want to clear cap, not win games now and in the future.

I was bitching big time the day they decided to let Gil force their hands by opting out after a horrible injury-plagued season and force the package of him and Jamison. Washington tied 160 million into him and Jamison. I said way back then Haywood was worth much more and that the Wizards were paying too much for ofensive only players that haven't won a thing.

Now, we just accept all the deals they can't make because they're against the cap.

We just accept Ernie's faith in the big three.

We just accept adding more offense on the wings and absolutely NOTHING up front is the way to go.

Financial sense to resign Haywood was thrown out the window two seasons ago.

If I were a GM I'd have been willing to deal Gil, Caron, or Jamison. I'd NEVER pay that much for jump shooters that don't defend.

Yikes.
Bye bye Beal.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,776

Post#1462 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:25 pm

CCJ - our salary cap is still the same. No offense, but the "team is being cheap" argument is bull. We saved like a few hundred thousand dollars. That's it.

BTW, Kings traded the 31st pick for Sergio Rodriguez and the 38th pick. Now, THAT's a deal I would have made.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1463 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:25 pm

yungal07 wrote:Dat2u, you're ignoring the financial aspects of the trade, which was one of the main reasons it was made in the first place. We simply couldn't afford to trade away expirings for players like Carter and Jefferson, who have 2 years left on the their enormous deals (I didn't mention Shaq because I don't really care). It simply wasn't worth going into cap hell for these guys.

Now, that's a load of crap. As I pointed out in the '5th pick has been traded' thread the Wizards next off season will have to pay full price for Miller and Foye next season. So while they may have saved a modest amount this year the piper comes due next off-season. When instead, they could have simply let Etan's deal expire and have the 5th pick on a relatively affordable rookie contract for the next four years.

This deal obviously isn't about finances. If it is and Miller and/or Foye are gone next season then this is an absolutely horrible deal.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,446

Post#1464 » by mhd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Dat2U wrote:
yungal07 wrote:Dat2u, you're ignoring the financial aspects of the trade, which was one of the main reasons it was made in the first place. We simply couldn't afford to trade away expirings for players like Carter and Jefferson, who have 2 years left on the their enormous deals (I didn't mention Shaq because I don't really care). It simply wasn't worth going into cap hell for these guys.

Now, that's a load of crap. As I pointed out in the '5th pick has been traded' thread the Wizards next off season will have to pay full price for Miller and Foye next season. So while they may have saved a modest amount this year the piper comes due next off-season. When instead, they could have simply let Etan's deal expire and have the 5th pick on a relatively affordable rookie contract for the next four years.

This deal obviously isn't about finances. If it is and Miller and/or Foye are gone next season then this is an absolutely horrible deal.

Well, they can QO Foye, so it won't be an issue on him. Miller was basically a swap of ETan, but instead you get production.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1465 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:27 pm

Dat2U wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:So you're saying that Foye, Young, and Mike Miller is better than Vince Carter plus the #5 pick that could be Steph Curry or Rubio with James traded?

JWiz, I'm not a whiny baby. Like badinage, I pretty much bleed for this team.

Geez, eight years ago I didn't like the Kwame drafting. Before that I hated the Ben Wallace for Ike Austin and others deal. I HATED CWebb for Thorpe and Richmond. I said Rip for Stack was wrong. I said don't draft Pecherov, Millsap's better. Said I thought Nick Young was not at all bright on draft night. Even giving Javale an F- was strong, but it ends up (by the same logic used to down Pecherov) that McGee didn't even start for a 19-win team. He WAS terrible defensively, as I said on draft night.

I am simply underwhelmed and almost devastated that guys like Jefferson, Carter, and Shaq all went for less than what the Wizards sent to get Foye and Miller on one-year rentals.

I'm also going to flat out say I think those calling me or others who are really pssed right now whiners are just mad and can't handle legitimately bad news.

Carter's no more on the downside than Allen was before he got traded to Boston, JWiz.

I'm with you. I was wrong about Kwame but I hated both Wallace deals (Sheed & Ben). I cried at the C-Webb deal. The Stack for deal left a bad taste in my mouth. I said Pecherov was a bust waiting to happen (and got blasted for saying it so early). I said Nick Young was a poor man's Jamal Crawford and got blasted for that two. I said McGee was too raw and would be a nightmare on D (though his talent does make him a worthwhile pick - props to EG there). I said AD got too many years on his deal. I said the Songaila signing made no sense. I thoroughly bashed the DeShawn resigning and panned the J-Critt deal.

I've been wrong more than a few times but have been right more often than not just like you CCJ. It's frustrating, were both considered whiners and born complainers on this board but its because we've seen the mistakes made so often. And usually our gut is pretty good at seeing when those mistakes been made.

I've been through that period were I tried to force myself to like a trade b/c my home team made it. It just doesn't work for me.

Dat, liking this team is downright painful. Not being able to detach and just watching trainwreck after trainwreck, but with waves of fans saying that it's not really a trainwreck you're watching--it's getting real old.
Bye bye Beal.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1466 » by JWizmentality » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:29 pm

C'mon CCJ. Of course I'm not implying they're better than Vince, but IMO he wasn't a fit for this team and he's getting old. Everyone wants the big names , but none of you can appreciate the moves that make sense. That's why I love teams like the Spurs and Pistons of a couple years ago. No superstars, just people who know how to play the game.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#1467 » by Dat2U » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:29 pm

mhd wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:How did Orlando get him without a pick?

When did Lee's potential get higher than Young's?

I think it's totally irrational to say a guy who was just given away to Orlando couldn't have been given away to the Wizards.

Simply put, it was Haywood or Carter CCJ. With Carter, it would have been too much money tied up and would have destroyed any financial sense to resign Haywood.

That's not a passable argument. Because the same case can be made when we are forced to decide whether to resign Miller next year. And Foye. And Haywood.
verbal8
General Manager
And1: 1,364

Post#1468 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:31 pm

Rafael122 wrote:CCJ - our salary cap is still the same. No offense, but the "team is being cheap" argument is bull. We saved like a few hundred thousand dollars. That's it.

BTW, Kings traded the 31st pick for Sergio Rodriguez and the 38th pick. Now, THAT's a deal I would have made.

Looks like the Kings are not taking Rubio. Either he is going to OKC or falling.
Joe_Wiz
Senior
And1: 5

Post#1469 » by Joe_Wiz » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:32 pm

LyricalRico wrote:Okay, the ESPN crew discussing the Carter deal pre-draft makes it sound like Carter is being brought in to replace Turkgolu. That changes everything for me. At first I thought they might just be adding Vince. But if he's replacing Turkgolu, Orlando now has zero depth and could also lose their matchup advantages if they decide to pursue a more traditional PF and move Lewis back to the 3.

Wow, that is totally different. What's the deal with Turkoglu, is he a FA or something?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,776

Post#1470 » by Rafael122 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:37 pm

Yes,

BTW...here is Orlando's bench:

Anthony Johnson, JJ Reddick, and Michael Pietrus.

That's it. Lewis is making $18 million next year, Vince $16 million, Dwight is making $15 million and Jameer is making $7 million. $56 million tied to four players.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1471 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:38 pm

Joe_Wiz wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:Okay, the ESPN crew discussing the Carter deal pre-draft makes it sound like Carter is being brought in to replace Turkgolu. That changes everything for me. At first I thought they might just be adding Vince. But if he's replacing Turkgolu, Orlando now has zero depth and could also lose their matchup advantages if they decide to pursue a more traditional PF and move Lewis back to the 3.

Wow, that is totally different. What's the deal with Turkoglu, is he a FA or something?

He opted out of his contract.
AceDegenerate
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#1472 » by AceDegenerate » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:39 pm

How does Sacramento get Sergio Rodriguez for the 31st pick? While Ernie sits around twiddling his damn thumbs, wow.
mhd
General Manager

Post#1473 » by mhd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm

Krizko Zero wrote:How does Sacramento get Sergio Rodriguez for the 31st pick? While Ernie sits around twiddling his damn thumbs, wow.

They had cap space to absorb the contract. Portland is making a run at Hedo.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#1474 » by Benjammin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm

If you want to chat during the draft, you can do so here:
http://www.chatmaker.net/chatap/rooms/RealGMWizards/
verbal8
General Manager

Post#1475 » by verbal8 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:43 pm

There is talk of a deal of Ben Wallace for Tyson Chandler. If Tyson Chandler is available just for contracts, we could offer Mike James and Deshawn. We would probably have to include at least Crittenton to get them to take DeShawn.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#1476 » by mohammed10 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:45 pm

verbal8 wrote:There is talk of a deal of Ben Wallace for Tyson Chandler. If Tyson Chandler is available just for contracts, we could offer Mike James and Deshawn. We would probably have to include at least Crittenton to get them to take DeShawn.

:nod: :pray:
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
mhd
General Manager

Post#1477 » by mhd » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:45 pm

verbal8 wrote:There is talk of a deal of Ben Wallace for Tyson Chandler. If Tyson Chandler is available just for contracts, we could offer Mike James and Deshawn. We would probably have to include at least Crittenton to get them to take DeShawn.

Too injury prone and costs too much.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#1478 » by mohammed10 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:47 pm

mhd wrote:

Too injury prone and costs too much.

He's 26 and is a rebounding machine. A bit limited on offense, but I don't think will be a problem for the Wiz.

11.4 mil/year is a bit steep. But, he opens our championship door a bit wider.

I say go for it.
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1479 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:52 pm

Joe_Wiz wrote:

Yes, he opted out of his contract. I'm looking for him to go to Portland.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1480 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:54 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Yes,

BTW...here is Orlando's bench:

Anthony Johnson, JJ Reddick, and Michael Pietrus.

That's it. Lewis is making $18 million next year, Vince $16 million, Dwight is making $15 million and Jameer is making $7 million. $56 million tied to four players.

:nod:

And we would have been in the same situation had we traded for Carter. And the same people complaining now that we didn't get Carter would have instead been complaining that we traded for somebody with such a big contract.

The grass isn't always greener folks.

Return to Washington Wizards