ImageImageImageImageImage

What to do with Roger Mason Jr?

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

What to do with Roger Mason Jr? 

Post#1 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat May 3, 2008 4:55 pm

Roger Mason Jr. in all respects had a good year this year and increased his value in the FA market, although probably only marginally. He is the quintessential player for Eddie Jordan
tkunit
Head Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by tkunit » Sat May 3, 2008 4:57 pm

I don't think the wiz have the money to keep him.
zardsfan
Pro Prospect
And1: 7

Post#3 » by zardsfan » Sat May 3, 2008 5:00 pm

Zards NEED a solid bench... and Mason is a solid bench player.

Keep him!
Knuckleheads need not apply!
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#4 » by mohammed10 » Sat May 3, 2008 5:17 pm

Washington needs more ATHLETIC bench that can create its own shots and defend.

Good guy, Mason is but...

Dump him
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#5 » by JWizmentality » Sat May 3, 2008 5:33 pm

Good as gone. Start developing Young. However, let's get our priorities straight. First, we need a coach that would actually give him minutes.
mohammed10
Assistant Coach
And1: 155

Post#6 » by mohammed10 » Sat May 3, 2008 5:35 pm

JWizmentality wrote:Good as gone. Start developing Young. However, let's get our priorities straight. First, we need a coach that would actually give him minutes.

+1

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW, JWiz - it's the off-season. Time for your beauty of the day thread to restart (hint, hint)
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

'If' - by Rudyard Kipling
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#7 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 3, 2008 5:36 pm

zardsfan wrote:Zards NEED a solid bench... and Mason is a solid bench player.

Keep him!

Trade AD and Etan and maybe Nick Young just to get a taker for those guys, and bring back Roger Mason.

NOTE: JWiz could be right about Nick Young. Give him a coach who'll give him minutes and develop him could turn out to be way better. That kid CAN score.

My thing is I don't think he does much else. Terribly selfish player. Not a good defender at all. Not a good passer.

I felt MUCH BETTER about Roger's year than most of what I saw from Nick.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#8 » by nate33 » Sat May 3, 2008 6:18 pm

It all depends on the price. If Mason doesn't cost much more than a veteran minimum free agent, then we should keep him. If he costs $2M a year or more, we should let him go. You don't pay a 5th guard $2M a year if you want sanity in your salary structure.

I really like the guy and hope that he stays for something like 2-years, $3M. But I doubt it will happen.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#9 » by JWizmentality » Sat May 3, 2008 6:37 pm

mohammed10 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

+1

:clap: :clap: :clap:

BTW, JWiz - it's the off-season. Time for your beauty of the day thread to restart (hint, hint)

I'm still in a bad mood. I probably won't feel good until Eddie Jordan is unemployed. I don't think Young is all that selfish CCJ. Just needs a little time and seasoning.
no D in Hibachi
Veteran

Post#10 » by no D in Hibachi » Sat May 3, 2008 6:56 pm

I think Mason and Young are equally selfish, its just more noticeable with Young cause he'll pound the ball for 5-6 seconds before making a move and shooting. Mason takes no time jacking up shots. At least Young tried to take it to the hole if it makes a difference.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#11 » by mhd » Sat May 3, 2008 7:26 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Trade AD and Etan and maybe Nick Young just to get a taker for those guys, and bring back Roger Mason.

NOTE: JWiz could be right about Nick Young. Give him a coach who'll give him minutes and develop him could turn out to be way better. That kid CAN score.

My thing is I don't think he does much else. Terribly selfish player. Not a good defender at all. Not a good passer.

I felt MUCH BETTER about Roger's year than most of what I saw from Nick.

Please, CCJ. When N1 was getting PT (See Toronto game. See Lakers game). Did you see him dribble drive and pass out. Aside from GA, we have NO ONE who can do it. N1 can do it all. He's already a better defender than Mason. He's got all the physical tools. Imagine a real defensive coach with N1. He's got long arms, good feet, and great athleticism. Mason should go and N1 should either start or be the 6th man next year.
Kanyewest
General Manager
And1: 2,354

Post#12 » by Kanyewest » Sat May 3, 2008 8:19 pm

I would probably let Mason walk unless he is willing to sign for cheap. I think Nick Young is a better prospect for several reasons.

1) This was only Young's first season in Eddie Jordan's offense. Caron Butler has said that it was only in his 2nd year when he got comfortable running the offense.
2)Young is only 22 while Mason is 27. The Wizards will also have Young for cheap for another 3 years.
3) Young has more upside. Not only is he very athletic but he has shown he has a decent jumper, as good as Mason. He can also mix up his game more by going to the basket.
4) Because of his size, Young is already a slightly better rebounder than Mason.

Mason is a slightly better playmaker and a better defender. But I think Young can improve that overtime by working with the coaching staff.
RealGM

Post#13 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 3, 2008 9:47 pm

JWizmentality wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm still in a bad mood. I probably won't feel good until Eddie Jordan is unemployed. I don't think Young is all that selfish CCJ. Just needs a little time and seasoning.

Now that you confront me with what I just wrote, I do recall looking up his assist rate and it wasn't that bad.

I also recall EJ encouraging Jarvis to shoot, shoot, shoot.

Maybe Young just needs seasoning and a coach that insists he learn the offense and not just break teams down off the dribble by himself (even though he's real good at that).Many times Nick took a quick shot or never looked to pass.

He needs time and seasoning for sure.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#14 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 3, 2008 9:51 pm

no D in Hibachi wrote:I think Mason and Young are equally selfish, its just more noticeable with Young cause he'll pound the ball for 5-6 seconds before making a move and shooting. Mason takes no time jacking up shots. At least Young tried to take it to the hole if it makes a difference.

I agree that Roger puts the ball up just as fast, but I think Roger only hurts you when he's off and EJ keeps him out there a long time, like in Game 6. Mason stunk.

Nick can hurt you quickly because he frequently forces shots.

Roger shoots when he can see the rim, but he's a catch and shoot who gets clean looks.

To be fair, Nick can do stuff nobody but healthy Gil can do offensively. Dude can make something out of nothing. His shot's pure, almost reminiscent of MJ when he's on.

I'm love/hate on Nick's game. Roger's been around longer and he gives good fouls, makes smart plays, doesn't dominate the ball, and he defends better at this point. But he's older and much more seasoned than Nick.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#15 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat May 3, 2008 9:52 pm

Kanyewest wrote:I would probably let Mason walk unless he is willing to sign for cheap. I think Nick Young is a better prospect for several reasons.

1) This was only Young's first season in Eddie Jordan's offense. Caron Butler has said that it was only in his 2nd year when he got comfortable running the offense.
2)Young is only 22 while Mason is 27. The Wizards will also have Young for cheap for another 3 years.
3) Young has more upside. Not only is he very athletic but he has shown he has a decent jumper, as good as Mason. He can also mix up his game more by going to the basket.
4) Because of his size, Young is already a slightly better rebounder than Mason.

Mason is a slightly better playmaker and a better defender. But I think Young can improve that overtime by working with the coaching staff.

Excellent post, kanyewest.

I doubt Young makes that improvement, but it's probably just the hater in me.

Your argument makes more sense. Keep Young and let Roger go. I just like that you and I agree Roger's the better playmaker (slightly) and the better defender. I happen to think Roger's capable of playing much better in this offense, too. Nick, however, has loads of upside.

I'd rather keep both and send DeShawn packing. Stevenson had a very solid year and he really got better from three, but he's bad for the image of the team. I think it would be best if the Wizards found some cap space to resign Roger, and give Nick a crack as starter next season, by trading DeShawn.

Money-wise DeShawn's worth it. He's a keeper and a competitor. Image-wise however, barring a coaching change where everybody really defends and doesn't just try to thug it out, Stevenson should go.
Bye bye Beal.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,325

Post#16 » by nate33 » Sat May 3, 2008 11:38 pm

I don't know why you want to get rid of this "thug" image. I kinda like it. I hope we can play much more thuggish all season long next year. Once the refs get used to it, they'll let us get away with it more (just as they let Cleveland get away with constantly going over the back).
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#17 » by yungal07 » Sun May 4, 2008 1:50 am

Sorry CCJ, but even in Roger's career year, his numbers weren't better than Nick's rookie season.

Roger per 36: 15.3 ppg, 2.8 apg, 2.7 rpg, TS%: 57%
Nick's per 36: 17.4 ppg, 2.0 apg, 3.6 rpg, TS% 53%

Common sense says dump the guy who's older, shorter, less athletic, just had a "career year" which wasn't all that good, and is a free agent.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#18 » by Dat2U » Sun May 4, 2008 2:45 am

Roger is a nice guy but he is definitely replaceable. His defense is hardly passable, he often fails to close out properly on shooters. Sometimes he doesn't even bother to challenge shots. Offensively his shot selection leaves alot to be desired. He's not very versatile, pretty much being a jump shooter/shot jacker first and foremost.

I commend him for finally developing some confidence and becoming an actual NBA quality player but let someone else pay him. I remember hearing San Antonio was interested in him last season, maybe they'll take a look again this offseason.

I'm still not all that high on Nick but the Wiz probably won't miss a beat with Nick replacing Roger as our backup SG.
RickRoll_inDC
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by RickRoll_inDC » Sun May 4, 2008 4:04 am

I don't see us keeping roger. He had a great year, and we don't need a 5th guard. We drafted N1 for a reason, and that reason is not to be the 5th guard. RMJ will get a solid deal from someone to be a backup 2-guard, and I have a feeling that we won't be able to keep him.

Don't get me wrong, I love Roger to death, but N1 will be ready to fill RMJ's roll next year
19-13 on game threads
NbdyBeatsTheWiz
Sixth Man
And1: 105

Post#20 » by NbdyBeatsTheWiz » Mon May 5, 2008 1:47 pm

Yeah Roger is one of those guys who I love simply because he's fought his way into the league (i.e. Jamario Moon) rather than had things handed to him (i.e. Kwame Brown). It's especially nice having him on our team since he's a local cat, but I wouldn't cry if he ended up elsewhere because we've got the pieces to replace him. What's good to see is he won't be without a job next year, and after hearing how his family of geniuses always ribs him for being the only one without a diploma, I'm happy for him. :wink:

Return to Washington Wizards