The Not So Random Thoughts Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,766

Re: The Not So Random Thoughts Thread 

Post#1441 » by Rafael122 » Sun Nov 1, 2009 4:18 pm

So I've officially entered the HD age. Bought a 32 inch Vizio HDTV yesterday. I also bought the HDMI cable, so the first thing to do is setting up my gaming system to the television.

Uhm...what else do I need to get the full HD experience? I'm assuming I need an HD box from Comcast?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1442 » by LyricalRico » Sun Nov 1, 2009 5:55 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Uhm...what else do I need to get the full HD experience? I'm assuming I need an HD box from Comcast?

:nod:

Just ask for that and you're good. Trust me - you won't know how you ever lived without it.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1443 » by miller31time » Sun Nov 1, 2009 6:16 pm

LyricalRico wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:Uhm...what else do I need to get the full HD experience? I'm assuming I need an HD box from Comcast?

Just ask for that and you're good. Trust me - you won't know how you ever lived without it.

I'm dog-sitting this weekend so I'm staying at my brother's house. He doesn't have HD. Having to watch 2 Wizards games in non-HD practically killed me.
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#1444 » by MJG » Sun Nov 1, 2009 7:00 pm

miller31time wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:

I'm dog-sitting this weekend so I'm staying at my brother's house. He doesn't have HD. Having to watch 2 Wizards games in non-HD practically killed me.

Prepare yourself for more near-death experiences then, because there are supposed to be something like 15-20 games this season that are not going to be in HD. Which is ridiculous.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1445 » by Rafael122 » Sun Nov 1, 2009 7:26 pm

Yeah, but how many teams can say all their games are in HD?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1446 » by Rafael122 » Sun Nov 1, 2009 11:28 pm

Update: Called Comcast....HD Box will be sent to me this week.

Managed to get Cinemax and Showtime for $5 each for a whole year. That's their special. I could have gotten Starz as well but I wasn't really impressed with them. I also have Encore which is basically the same thing.

I have to say, the Packers/Vikings game looks a lot clearer even without an HD reception.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1447 » by LyricalRico » Sun Nov 1, 2009 11:34 pm

Rafael122 wrote:I have to say, the Packers/Vikings game looks a lot clearer even without an HD reception.

Yeah, I've got a 32-inch Vizio myself. It's not hooked up to my HD receiver but it's still pretty good.
Zerocious
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#1448 » by Zerocious » Mon Nov 2, 2009 1:21 am

MJG wrote:Prepare yourself for more near-death experiences then, because there are supposed to be something like 15-20 games this season that are not going to be in HD. Which is ridiculous.

yeah, and that's besides the 12 games not on CSN that i am goiing to miss because i dont have csn+. there's like a 3 game west coast streak later in the season that's just not broadcast. looking for the stream then i guess
Da HomeTeam
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#1449 » by Da HomeTeam » Mon Nov 2, 2009 7:19 pm

Eddie Jordan's up to his old tricks...already :lol:
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/ ... iem-091102

The early season isn't just a time for players to get their games in order, it's also a time for coaches to figure things out. Take Eddie Jordan at the end of regulation in the Sixers-Knicks game Saturday night.

Things started going downhill at the 5:39 mark, when the Sixers were up by 13 and Jordan decided he just had to play Samuel Dalembert. Leaving Marreese Speights -- the second-year man who had already scored 16 points and who, by the way, is second in the league in PER after three games -- on the bench, the Sixers scored one point in their next six trips.

Dalembert finally fouled out at the 2:12 mark, providing a great opportunity to put Speights back in. Instead, it was Jason Kapono who got the call. Wait, it gets better. With 1:12 left, up by seven and coming out of a timeout with New York in possession, the Sixers left Kapono -- quite possibly the worst defensive player in the league -- on the court. Philly called timeout immediately after New York scored, so it was a perfect chance to play offense-defense. Instead, the Sixers matched up as ineffectively as you could imagine. Amazingly, they did the same thing on their next trip; in a related story, New York scored six points on those two possessions to cut a seven-point lead to one.

Using timeouts on both of those possessions also left the Sixers with none when New York tied the game with five seconds left. Out of one of those timeouts, Philly called the same play it had just run that resulted in a basket. That must have taken a while to explain. And how did New York tie the game in those final seconds? On a Chris Duhon layup after Philly pulled Elton Brand for defensive ace Royal Ivey ... while leaving Kapono in the game.

As I said, it's early, and coaches are figuring things out as much as the players. If this had been a playoff game, Jordan would be getting crucified in the media. Because it was only the third game of 82 and the Sixers ended up winning (after putting Speights in for Kapono for overtime and scoring 17 straight points to end the game), and because the local fans were a bit distracted with another Philly-New York pairing, Jordan's meltdown was a total non-event. Presumably, he'll work out the kinks with his new team in time to make better choices by the spring.
R.I.P. #21 - Gone but not forgotten!
ZonkertheBrainless
Analyst

Post#1450 » by ZonkertheBrainless » Tue Nov 3, 2009 3:25 pm

Oh, man, this sucks.

http://www.ksat.com/sports/21502162/detail.html

Manu getting rabies shots for swatting at the bat the other night.
Help us, Obi-wan Leonsis. You're our only hope.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#1451 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 7:26 pm

Am I the only one on here that gets frustrated watching the games on Comcast when they pan away to someone in the crowd or on the bench while the ball is in play?? They even put up stat displays during action. I never see this happening on TNT or ESPN. I raised this issue a few years ago when I had the opportunity to meet with Buckhantz and Chenier after a game, and they admitted it was a problem. Unfortunately, they did nothing to fix it. Anybody know of a way I can chanel a complaint to Comcast because it is really starting to annoy me like fingernails on a chalkboard!
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#1452 » by Zerocious » Tue Nov 3, 2009 9:21 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:Am I the only one on here that gets frustrated watching the games on Comcast when they pan away to someone in the crowd or on the bench while the ball is in play?? They even put up stat displays during action. I never see this happening on TNT or ESPN. I raised this issue a few years ago when I had the opportunity to meet with Buckhantz and Chenier after a game, and they admitted it was a problem. Unfortunately, they did nothing to fix it. Anybody know of a way I can chanel a complaint to Comcast because it is really starting to annoy me like fingernails on a chalkboard!

sure guessing the action is never fun, but IMO phil and buck talking about anything else but the game during play drives me more nuts, especially if they miss a play and then have no clue what the hell is going on and have to wait for the onscreen stats to fill them in. AND, how hard is it to differentiate the same players you have been commentating on from like 10 feet away for the last 20 years. it just boggles my mind when they mention a player to get the foul who was not even near the play only to have to correct themselves when they look up to the jumbo tron. It seriously seems like they f'n txting eachother or something with how little involved in the game they are. hence the reason if a game is broadcast on national tv, comcast sportsnet doesnt get a second of my time, good lord...
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,301

Post#1453 » by dobrojim » Tue Nov 3, 2009 9:28 pm

I'm probably going to misspell peeves again but that is one of my biggest
peeves in watching sports on TV.

why should we have any interest in looking at the coach, some fan, or
a player who isn't in the game, while the ball is in play. Take other
opportunities to show that if you must, but not when the ball is
in play. I scream/want to throw things at the television when
this happens. I have also been known to write nasty grams
to the producers. WTF!

Call up Comcast. Give them both barrels. I got your back.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#1454 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Nov 3, 2009 10:00 pm

dobrojim wrote:I'm probably going to misspell peeves again but that is one of my biggest
peeves in watching sports on TV.

why should we have any interest in looking at the coach, some fan, or
a player who isn't in the game, while the ball is in play. Take other
opportunities to show that if you must, but not when the ball is
in play. I scream/want to throw things at the television when
this happens. I have also been known to write nasty grams
to the producers. WTF!

Call up Comcast. Give them both barrels. I got your back.

Great. I'm glad I'm not the only one. I really get pissed when I hear the crowd roar or groan and I missed the play because they are showing some ugly kid in the crowd stuffing popcorn in his mouth.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1455 » by Rafael122 » Wed Nov 4, 2009 1:08 am

Lyrical - I got my HD Box today. Did you have someone come in and install it?

I'm trying to do it myself, its the same set up as a Digital Box it looks like. It turns on so I got the power cable right.

HDMI cable is hooked in.

Actual cable is hooked from the wall outlet to the back of the HD Box yet I'm not getting any video or audio. Just a black screen.

Edit: Chatted with a Comcast rep and it was fixed. OH MY. OHH MY. I'm watching the Cavs game in HD. Jesus...its not even close. I watched the standard feed and now I'm watching the HD feed. Not even close.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#1456 » by Zerocious » Wed Nov 4, 2009 5:13 am

what the hell is up with buck and chenier? calling out players getting the foul while they are on the bench? what the hell are they doing during the game. part of the game i felt as if they were rooting for the cavs. i am sikc this this comcast horsesh*t and am not favorable toward buck and phil either. cavs suck
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#1457 » by MJG » Wed Nov 4, 2009 1:51 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Edit: Chatted with a Comcast rep and it was fixed. OH MY. OHH MY. I'm watching the Cavs game in HD. Jesus...its not even close. I watched the standard feed and now I'm watching the HD feed. Not even close.

Pretty amazing, isn't it? It takes about 30 seconds of watching HD before you start wondering how you ever thought SD was tolerable. Just prepare yourself for the pain that's coming when we get to the games that are only in SD.
Zerocious
Sixth Man

Post#1458 » by Zerocious » Wed Nov 4, 2009 1:55 pm

Rafael122 wrote: OH MY. OHH MY. I'm watching the Cavs game in HD. Jesus...its not even close. I watched the standard feed and now I'm watching the HD feed. Not even close.

Welcome to the 21st century! :meditate:
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1459 » by LyricalRico » Thu Nov 5, 2009 2:59 am

Just had the new Chicken Habanero sandwich from Dominos.

Awesome.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1460 » by fishercob » Thu Nov 5, 2009 3:00 am

I didn't see much of tonight's game, and much of what I saw had the sound off, but I just cannot believe Miller got hurt. I'm going to take a break from these parts for a while because I'm too upset over this. Be well everyone.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards