ImageImageImageImageImage

The Amazingly Sucky Ernie Grunfield Thread:

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Ernie Grunfield Thread: 

Post#281 » by go'stags » Thu Nov 6, 2008 7:19 pm

Well, like you said, Daniels and Etan are both about to become very tradeable, so I don't see a huge need to move Jamison. I know he had a terrible game last night, but hes still a good player. I would definitley say he needs to bd moved tp the bench eventually for us to compete, but don't ,forget he was the 6th man of the year at one point. And when he ends up playing against other second stringers, he will be even better.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#282 » by yungal07 » Thu Nov 6, 2008 7:30 pm

go'stags wrote:Well, like you said, Daniels and Etan are both about to become very tradeable, so I don't see a huge need to move Jamison. I know he had a terrible game last night, but hes still a good player. I would definitley say he needs to bd moved tp the bench eventually for us to compete, but don't ,forget he was the 6th man of the year at one point. And when he ends up playing against other second stringers, he will be even better.

The problem I see with Jamison is that he's on the wrong side of 30, he's paid too much, he plays too many minutes, and he's a downright awful defensive player. It would be nice to send him to the bench, but remember what happened in Dallas when he didn't start? He complained and asked to be traded. He's not going to take that demotion lightly. I think the team would be a greatly improved if he took a step back, but he's not.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#283 » by go'stags » Thu Nov 6, 2008 7:48 pm

That is true, however, as you said he recieved a contract that was more than fair, has started for what will be at least 5 years, and I think he will want to win more as he gets older. He is also a professional, and I think it will be different here than in Dallas. Maybe I am too optimistic, but i dont see a problem in the future in regards to this, assuming we aquire someone who actually deserves to start in front of him.
LyricalRico wrote:

Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,091

Post#284 » by Dat2U » Thu Nov 6, 2008 9:15 pm

fishercob wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:People criticize the Skins all day long. What's the difference?

And I'm not even saying that you have to slap Ernie in the fact and tell him he's an idiot. I you have to do is be willing to at least raise the question in a column. How hard/controversial would that be?

The people that criticize the Skins pay the price. Jason LaCanfora, among others, work in a pretty unpleasant environment because of their well-documented adversarial relationship with the organization. Granted, Snyder et al aren't nice guys, but the point is when you publicly criticize someone else's job performance that person is going to be a hell of a lot more gaurded and less accomodating than they would otherwise be.

Just out yourself in Ivan Carter's shoes. What's the upside of taking a more critical tone on his blog -- placating an angry mob of message boarders?

A fair point, but this really only applies to the beat writer. Ivan probably does need to stay fairly even handed in his reporting b/c he's with the team everyday and a fixture with them on the road and in the locker room.

However a guy like Michael Lee or Mike Wise should be pretty much able to say what they want without fear of retribution.

It's also not about placating an "angry mob" It's about reporting the obvious. You might still in be denial but many are not. Continuity is fine if there's success. But being average shouldn't be used as an excuse to keep things together. This is professional sports goodness sakes! Why are the Wizards above criticism for celebrating & rewarding mediocrity?
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#285 » by fishercob » Fri Nov 7, 2008 12:23 am

Dat2U wrote:
A fair point, but this really only applies to the beat writer. Ivan probably does need to stay fairly even handed in his reporting b/c he's with the team everyday and a fixture with them on the road and in the locker room.

However a guy like Michael Lee or Mike Wise should be pretty much able to say what they want without fear of retribution.

It's also not about placating an "angry mob" It's about reporting the obvious. You might still in be denial but many are not. Continuity is fine if there's success. But being average shouldn't be used as an excuse to keep things together. This is professional sports goodness sakes! Why are the Wizards above criticism for celebrating & rewarding mediocrity?

Huh? What am I in denial about?

I was simply making a point about what enters into the media's mind before saying and writing what they say and write. But you're probably correct in that columnists are going to speak their minds pretty freely. So why hasn't Wise or Wilbon or Sally Jenkins or others called for EJ/EG's heads? Probably because they don't think he should be fired -- rightly or wrongly.

All of that said, I heard Ivan on 980 this afternoon. He's been reading the comments in his blog. He was very critical of EJ playing Darius extended C minutes, and how he's parsed out the PT in general
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
W. Unseld
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 106

Post#286 » by W. Unseld » Fri Nov 7, 2008 4:24 pm

When evaluating Grunfeld bear in mind that i)he has owner that will not touch the luxury tax ii)insisted on getting a gimpy Gil resigned and iii)wants to seel second round draft picks to teams w/in the conference.

Items i and iii are $$ moves for Abe. Item ii is either Abe being sentimental or wanting to hold on to the face of the franchise. I don't think Ernie said "No, let's practice with 9 guys instead of hitting the luxury tax." Or "2 knee surgeries in less then a year and our record was about the same w/o him?? Let's give him $116 million right away!!!!" Or "Sure we need help in a lot of areas and this second round pick may be able to help us. But let's not even look at him. The Celtics need our help now more than ever, let's sell him to them."

And don't pretend that "a good GM controls his owner" b/c that's seldom the case. A good GM becomes a better GM when the owner doesn't interphere and is willing to spend money.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#287 » by hands11 » Sun Nov 9, 2008 12:15 am

Dame. Sometimes I even amaze myself I right so ofter.

So where are all the people that didn't think JaVale was the right pick ?

With Haywood out, this kid should be starting.

Also glad to see Dixon finally playing the PG. I hated we lost him and Blake when we did.

Now we have 3 PGs plus Gil, we can let go of AD whenever we find the right trade.
But for now, Dixon should be starting, then AD, the flash.

This team is loaded with talent. They will be fine.

I'll even give Eddie a little props. Even if he isnt starting the right players, he is at least getting them in the game.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,299

Post#288 » by nate33 » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:12 pm

Bump for archive purposes. This thread is worth keeping.
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,332

Post#289 » by dobrojim » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:40 pm

hands11 wrote:Dame. Sometimes I even amaze myself I right so ofter.

So where are all the people that didn't think JaVale was the right pick ?

With Haywood out, this kid should be starting.

Also glad to see Dixon finally playing the PG. I hated we lost him and Blake when we did.

Now we have 3 PGs plus Gil, we can let go of AD whenever we find the right trade.
But for now, Dixon should be starting, then AD, the flash.

This team is loaded with talent. They will be fine.

I'll even give Eddie a little props. Even if he isnt starting the right players, he is at least getting them in the game.

From early Nov 2008

I'm pretty sure most of us have been wrong with predictions from time to time
but I'd say this probably comes close to defining the floor.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#290 » by closg00 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Go-figure, Ernie isn't on this list of top-10 GM's :roll:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_d ... nba,191489

Return to Washington Wizards