The Amazingly Sucky Ernie Grunfield Thread:

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: The Amazingly Sucky Ernie Grunfield Thread: 

Post#41 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:43 pm

I'm not as frustrated with the McGee pick itself (in a vacuum it's hard to criticize picking athletic 7-footers at #18) but I'm fed up with the way this team seems to take the Big Three for granted. It's like they know Gil/Caron/AJ are good enough to get us to the playoffs and since that's all the owners want and that's what many in the fanbase are willing to settle for, then they're free to do whatever they want. Eddie is free to experiement with his lineups and schemes and Ernie can take on project after project. I'm sick of it

And then this regime's history with big men is far from stellar. First EG/EJ couldn't rehabilitate Kwame when he was still young enough to be salvaged. Then they couldn't decide between Haywood and Etan, so we re-signed both of them. Then we picked up Blatche and decided to groom him. Meanwhile we give a multi-year deal to Songaila. Oh by the way we draft another PF/C named Pecherov. All this happens while Jamison is entrenched as a starter. And now we take yet another big man who needs minutes to develop but won't get them because too many guys are already in front of him. Complete mismanagement of assets IMO.

If this team is ready to compete and take the next step, we sure aren't drafting like it. We're either drafting like we're a bad team that needs to hit a home run or like we're a really good team that can afford to throw away picks. If we're not as good as people say we are, then we should do what New Jersey has done in the last 6 months - blow it up and rebuild. But if we are, then we should be looking for the last piece or two, not project bigs.

So I'll hold out hope for McGee and try to enjoy summer league. But I have zero faith that EG/EJ are going to build anything even remotely resembling a champion before they're done.
Bickerstaff
Senior
And1: 3

Post#42 » by Bickerstaff » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:09 am

LyricalRico wrote:IIt's like they know Gil/Caron/AJ are good enough to get us to the playoffs and since that's all the owners want and that's what many in the fanbase are willing to settle for

I don't know what you can possibly base this on other than your own imagination. I don't think any of that is true. What I think is true is that a little success has spoiled Wizards fans (and brought in bandwagon fans) who will settle for nothing less than the championship, which is the exact same attitude that makes Yankees fans so charming.

People need to realize that even with the internet making it so easy for everyone to be an expert, at the end of the day, all we can do as fans is cheer and buy the merchandise. Also, change does not guarantee improvement. Be careful what you wish for. The grass is always greener on the other side. And so on.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#43 » by closg00 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:34 am

Bickerstaff wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:IIt's like they know Gil/Caron/AJ are good enough to get us to the playoffs and since that's all the owners want and that's what many in the fanbase are willing to settle for

I don't know what you can possibly base this on other than your own imagination. I don't think any of that is true. What I think is true is that a little success has spoiled Wizards fans (and brought in bandwagon fans) who will settle for nothing less than the championship, which is the exact same attitude that makes Yankees fans so charming.

People need to realize that even with the internet making it so easy for everyone to be an expert, at the end of the day, all we can do as fans is cheer and buy the merchandise. Also, change does not guarantee improvement. Be careful what you wish for. The grass is always greener on the other side. And so on.

You can certainly base this sentiment upon Ernie Grunfeld's own words. EG has repeatedly said that he "likes this team", and that we just need a run with the trio healthy etc. That's what he wants, that's what Eddie Jordan wants, a full season with healthy starters. It's as-if EG thinks the Eastern teams that we face, have not improved over the last three years, he's running the Wiz organization that way. I'm willing to wait to see if he'll make any moves this Summer however.
AAEXPRESS
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#44 » by AAEXPRESS » Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:06 pm

Bickerstaff wrote:

I do not think you are giving many of us posters enough credit. You do not have to use your imagination to know what ails the Wiz. If you watch every game, it should be plainly obvious. If it is obvious to us fans why is it not for our coaches and front office. My issue with EG is that his company line is always "we like our team". Just once I would like him to address our glaring deficiencies.

We are a below average defensive team who cannot close out on 3 point shooters save their lives. What makes this even worse is at the end of games, when we need a stop our coach will not situation substitute and take out bad defenders (defenders that will give up the baseline and roam off of their man and allow them to hit game winning shots). Our 3 point defense was the worst in the league. Now I will relent that if we need a score at the end of the game Gil and AJ belong in the game. But their defense is so bad they do not belong in the game when we need a stop.

The Wiz are the model of inconsistency how can you beat the Celtics one night and turn around the next game and lose to the likes of the Bucks. I put that blame on EJ who still after all this time has player rotations that defy logic. With some of his players they will play for many games in a row then not see the floor again for many games in a row. EJ's worst debacle to me is his handling of Haywood and his minutes. There have been a lot of games where he has played well in the first half and hardly see the floor in the second half. Anytime Haywood rides pine for the likes of Michael Ruffin there is a major problem. And do not let me get started on EJ's fascination with small ball. It drives me wild.

My issue with management is that they have this "emporers new clothes syndrome" they try to take an issue that is painfully obvious and pretends they do not exist.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,334

Post#45 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 2:01 pm

You guys need a serious reality check. If I had told you at the beginning of last year that we would miss Arenas for essentially the entire season and we would miss Butler for 24 games, all of you would have predicted a sub-35-win season and a trip to the lottery. Instead, we won 43 games and finished 5th.

How many other teams can lose their best player for a season and their second-best player for a third of a season and still finish above .500? Obviously, either EG has done a pretty decent job of assembling talent, or EJ has done a pretty good job coaching, or both. Now, take that 43-win team, add a top 15 player in Arenas, add a decent backup center in Etan, get a little improvement out of Blatche and Young; and there's a perfectly rational basis to assume that this team can win 50 games.

You don't blow up a team with 50-win potential when none of it's major players are in decline yet.

Honestly, I'm getting sick of all the whining. Would the situation be any different if EG drafted Hickson or Koufos and retained Bill Walker? (Keep in mind that EG didn't want any more youth on the squad and would have likely cut Walker before the start of the season.)

Would it be any different if EG traded #18 plus the MEM pick for the #17 and drafted Hibbert? Is Hibbert going to be any better than Etan Thomas in the next 2 years? And more importantly, would an immobile guy like Hibbert be better than Etan on this uptempo team?

Ask youself this question: what realistic thing could EG have done that would have averted a 3-page Amazingly Sucky EG thread? After you come to the inescapable conclusion that the answer is "nothing", I suggest you step away from the computer for a while.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#46 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:03 pm

AAEXPRESS wrote:
Bickerstaff wrote:

I do not think you are giving many of us posters enough credit. You do not have to use your imagination to know what ails the Wiz. If you watch every game, it should be plainly obvious. If it is obvious to us fans why is it not for our coaches and front office. My issue with EG is that his company line is always "we like our team". Just once I would like him to address our glaring deficiencies.

We are a below average defensive team who cannot close out on 3 point shooters save their lives. What makes this even worse is at the end of games, when we need a stop our coach will not situation substitute and take out bad defenders (defenders that will give up the baseline and roam off of their man and allow them to hit game winning shots). Our 3 point defense was the worst in the league. Now I will relent that if we need a score at the end of the game Gil and AJ belong in the game. But their defense is so bad they do not belong in the game when we need a stop.

The Wiz are the model of inconsistency how can you beat the Celtics one night and turn around the next game and lose to the likes of the Bucks. I put that blame on EJ who still after all this time has player rotations that defy logic. With some of his players they will play for many games in a row then not see the floor again for many games in a row. EJ's worst debacle to me is his handling of Haywood and his minutes. There have been a lot of games where he has played well in the first half and hardly see the floor in the second half. Anytime Haywood rides pine for the likes of Michael Ruffin there is a major problem. And do not let me get started on EJ's fascination with small ball. It drives me wild.

My issue with management is that they have this "emporers new clothes syndrome" they try to take an issue that is painfully obvious and pretends they do not exist.

EG (aka the Emperor) announced today the contracts of Hubbard, O'Koren, and Unseld Jr have been renewed.

They can boast they beat the Cs twice last season! And they can say they'd win in the playoffs except for the injuries. The same guys who had Etan starting or Ruffin over Haywood, along with EJs small ball fetish, packing it in, and leaving the C to play all of the defense return.

So, more of the same to come!

Ernie's walking around outside in boxers as far as I'm concerned.

Wizards couldn't even take a look at Walker due to no room on the r
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#47 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 28, 2008 3:20 pm

nate33 wrote:You guys need a serious reality check. If I had told you at the beginning of last year that we would miss Arenas for essentially the entire season and we would miss Butler for 24 games, all of you would have predicted a sub-35-win season and a trip to the lottery. Instead, we won 43 games and finished 5th.

How many other teams can lose their best player for a season and their second-best player for a third of a season and still finish above .500? Obviously, either EG has done a pretty decent job of assembling talent, or EJ has done a pretty good job coaching, or both. Now, take that 43-win team, add a top 15 player in Arenas, add a decent backup center in Etan, get a little improvement out of Blatche and Young; and there's a perfectly rational basis to assume that this team can win 50 games.

You don't blow up a team with 50-win potential when none of it's major players are in decline yet.

Honestly, I'm getting sick of all the whining. Would the situation be any different if EG drafted Hickson or Koufos and retained Bill Walker? (Keep in mind that EG didn't want any more youth on the squad and would have likely cut Walker before the start of the season.)

Would it be any different if EG traded #18 plus the MEM pick for the #17 and drafted Hibbert? Is Hibbert going to be any better than Etan Thomas in the next 2 years? And more importantly, would an immobile guy like Hibbert be better than Etan on this uptempo team?

Ask youself this question: what realistic thing could EG have done that would have averted a 3-page Amazingly Sucky EG thread? After you come to the inescapable conclusion that the answer is "nothing", I suggest you step away from the computer for a while.

nate, Arenas is the team's dynamic scorer but I liked the TEAM way better early in the year before Butler got hurt the first time and before AD, DeShawn, and Antawn got nicked up.

They played defense. Especially Stevenson.

I love the team way better at C without Etan. Losing him helped the Wizards productivity at C greatly. Prior to the season starting I posted that the Wizards played like a 60-loss team with Etan starting in the 06-07 season, but also played like a 60-win team with Haywood (and, in fairness, Arenas) starting. I don't think Etan's return does anything but remove minutes from Haywood. I bet the Wizards would even trade Andray Blatche or Brendan thinking they're set at C with Etan coming back 100%.

Personally, I think the Wizards played much weaker competition the year they were healthiest for one stretch the year before this past season. Now, they're going to face much tougher games from Miami, Charlotte, and Atlanta.

I'm not going to defend EG when a team like NJ walks away with Lopez, Ryan Anderson, and Chris Douglas Roberts and the best the Wizards can do is select a project at #18, and the SELL a player they supposedly have NO ROSTER SPOT for to the Celtics.

EG should have filled at PG, backup SF, or gotten a player ready to make an impact right away.

He did a HORRIBLE job.

This team with Arenas and Jamison under fat contracts won't be any better, and IMO will be worse than in the past. For one, the defense will suck. For two, they'll lose the team concept and the defense, and the methodical, workmanlike toughness they had WHEN BUTLER WAS THE FOCAL POINT last season. No Gil at all but I loved watching THE TEAM play.

When Gil returns, I don't even look forward to him holding the ball for a buzzer beater or for him trying to put up 50 or 60 games. How many playoff games does shot jacking win you? Yes, he averaged 30-something in that series 2 years ago. Gil's a prime time scorer. He can do that.

But he needs a lot of help defensively, and the Wizards did not address the need at all.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#48 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:40 pm

I don't really care about 50 win potential.

The goal is not to win 50 games in the regular season, the goal is to win a ring.

Let me bold that.

Win. A. Ring.

If Detroit can even consider blowing up a team that has gone to what, 6 straight ECFs, 2 finals and has a championship, have 2 key players in their prime and 2 key players jut leaving their prime, one of which has a potential stud replacement waiting in the wings, or if New Jersey can blow up a team that has actually done BETTER than us with a similar concept to us, then we can blow up this team.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#49 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:41 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I'm not going to defend EG when a team like NJ walks away with Lopez, Ryan Anderson, and Chris Douglas Roberts and the best the Wizards can do is select a project at #18, and the SELL a player they supposedly have NO ROSTER SPOT for to the Celtics.

We didn't have the #10 pick so we couldn't draft Lopez. I see no reason to believe that Ryan Anderson and CDR will be anything more than fringe role players. Indeed, 3-4 years from now, there's a very good chance that we'll look back and see that EG did better than New Jersey in this draft.

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:EG should have filled at PG, backup SF, or gotten a player ready to make an impact right away.

He did a HORRIBLE job.

There was no defensive SF available that could have conceivably filled the need at backup SF any better than DMac. He could have possibly addressed our need for a defensive PG, but conventional wisdom says that Chalmers was a reach at #18. The guy went with the 34th pick so most GM's agree. I don't have a problem with EG drafting the BPA available rather than drafting for need. The need wasn't that great anyhow. How many minutes would Chalmers have played behind Arenas and Daniels.

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:This team with Arenas and Jamison under fat contracts won't be any better, and IMO will be worse than in the past. For one, the defense will suck. For two, they'll lose the team concept and the defense, and the methodical, workmanlike toughness they had WHEN BUTLER WAS THE FOCAL POINT last season. No Gil at all but I loved watching THE TEAM play.

When Gil returns, I don't even look forward to him holding the ball for a buzzer beater or for him trying to put up 50 or 60 games. How many playoff games does shot jacking win you? Yes, he averaged 30-something in that series 2 years ago. Gil's a prime time scorer. He can do that.

But he needs a lot of help defensively, and the Wizards did not address the need at all.

There were some very good indications from Arenas in his limited play during the playoffs that he has worked on his passing considerably. If he is fully healthy, I expect there to be plenty of ball movement.

I agree that defense will still be a problem. But I fail to see what EG could have done with the #18 pick to change that. At least he drafted a guy who might pan out to be a defensive force down the road.

Again, I ask:
What realistic thing could EG have done that would have averted a 3-page Amazingly Sucky EG thread? After you come to the inescapable conclusion that the answer is "nothing", I suggest you step away from the computer for a while.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#50 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:49 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:I don't really care about 50 win potential.

The goal is not to win 50 games in the regular season, the goal is to win a ring.

Let me bold that.

Win. A. Ring.

If Detroit can even consider blowing up a team that has gone to what, 6 straight ECFs, 2 finals and has a championship, have 2 key players in their prime and 2 key players jut leaving their prime, one of which has a potential stud replacement waiting in the wings, or if New Jersey can blow up a team that has actually done BETTER than us with a similar concept to us, then we can blow up this team.

First of all, you can't just gloss over the point that they have 2 key players leaving their prime. One of those key players is Rasheed Wallace, and he is irreplaceable. There was no way Dumars could have tweaked that roster to get them over the hump in the face of Wallace's decline.

Secondly, I don't see how the Detroit situation is relevant. We are not Detroit. We have a core of players still well within their prime and we have a young core that could develop to be pretty special. There is no closing window of opportunity. The one key player approaching his decline is Jamison. But Jamison has no trade value since he is a free agent so there is no realistic option to get younger.

You people complain and complain but offer no realistic alternative. WE DON'T HAVE THE PIECES TO ENGINEER A BIG TRADE RIGHT NOW. Again, I ask, what should EG have done during this draft to have prevented you clowns starting an Amazingly Sucky EG thread?
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#51 » by Halcyon » Sat Jun 28, 2008 4:55 pm

I hate to say it, because I am an impatient fan like any other fan, but I don't think we really have much potential to improve our roster, other than through guys currently on the roster improving. We don't have many movable contracts, and frankly I only see Blatche as a commodity that people would actually be interested in. As much as we love Nick Young, wing players are all over league and that hinders his value.

I'm sure this has been addressed, but next offseason will be key. If the numbers I've seen are correct, we will have an expiring AD, expiring Etan and expiring Haywood, which all adds up to around $20 million in salaries. That's probably our best (and probably last real chance) to make a huge move. By last real chance, I mean when all 3 of our all-stars are in their prime.

Rather than trying to force a move this offseason, where we won't get nearly the value we could get for AD/Etan/Haywood/Nick Young, etc, we probably have to wait until next offseason.
sfam
Assistant Coach
And1: 548

Post#52 » by sfam » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:05 pm

Wizardspride wrote:Face it guys...this has nothing to do with EG's skill as a GM. This is all about Mr. Pollin and EJ.

I'm not upset at the drafting of McGee. What does irk me is Mr. Pollin's reluctance to go over the luxury tax when necessary to aquire players to compliment the "Big Three". If he's financially not able to do so, then he needs to sell a majority interest of the team to Leonsis.

Just to re-emphasize the point, Grunfield is the first GM in forever that's been able to put together a team under Pollin's "leadership" that perennially is in the playoffs. Yes, we've been one and done, but common guys - most of us remember the endless years of "nowhere near respectable so I'll just get another aging star to fill the stands" routine. We have changed, and Grunfield deserves big time credit for that. I'm sure Pollin's financial situation impacted the cash deal, for instance. Even if we didn't want another kid on the roster, FAR better from a strategic standpoint would have been for us to find a quick European guard to stash in Europe for 3 years or so like San Antonio does. But again, I'm guessing this wasn't a pure strategic decision.

And I can see the philosophy of saying, "Gosh, if they just stay healthy a year, I'd love to see how they do." Right now, until cap space can get freed, this is probably the best course for us. As much as we hate it, I don't see us getting anything as close to as good as Jamison or Arenas right now if we dumped them. If magic strikes and Elton Brand comes knocking on our door, fine, but I don't see it right now.

So yeah, when we have loads of expiring contracts ready to trade, fine, lets see the moves. Until then, I'm at least content to "hope" that our three stars can stay healthy and that at least one of these kids actually amounts to something good.

Should we be considering a coaching change even though we are always getting in the playoffs? I think this would be a fine thing to consider, but that's another conversation, one which again, is probably out of Grunfield's hands.
clubbing_caveman
Junior

Post#53 » by clubbing_caveman » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:15 pm

Also, keep in mind that the decision to keep the coaches, the current players, and the current system has already been made. We are not changing any part of that in the 08-09 season unless we tank somewhere in the middle of the season. As a result, we will be looking for veteran players to help the big-3 get to the next level during the off-season. We are not looking for more young players this year, unless there is a player with significant upside. We got that player in McGee. If we tank this season, expect to see AJ gone, among other players, and the coaching staff. Next year, we will have our #1 and #2 draft picks, plus possibly the #1 pick from Memphis, plus whatever we get from trading AJ and others. That coupled with a new coaching staff will be our "change" that some posters here want.
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 369

Post#54 » by Silvie Lysandra » Sat Jun 28, 2008 5:49 pm

Dude

This isn't based on this one draft.

It kind of "sealed" it for me but I was feeling this way basically from the press conference where he said he would bring back the entire coaching staff. But it's more than that, it's the whole "let's resign an undersized center to a 6y/36mil deal. It's "draft two Euros who may never really help the team rather than draft someone who might not have upside but you know can be a solid rotation player".

It's "sign Songalia who doesn't help you at all in your position of need". It's "bid against yourself for Stevenson (granted, he actually earned his contract but he still bid against himself)". It's "not fire or even put any pressure on a mediocre coach despite his inability to coach big men, his terrible rotations, his lack of emphasis on defense".

It's "do the same thing over and over again - just continuing to wait for everyone to get healthy" - the fact that we won more games this year than last year might be a testament to the depth Grunfield has assembled...but it's ALSO a testament to how badly the pieces ultimately fit. It's not all about talent, it's about synergy. All-star trios are not created equal - Boston's 3 put up worse stats, but who had the parade?

We have 3 All-Stars. Let's face it. Why can't we break the 45 win barrier? Why did we win more games with let's say 1 and 1/2 All-Stars than with 3? Maybe the whole thing just doesn't fit together, and if that's true, we do need to blow it up.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#55 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:18 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:Dude

This isn't based on this one draft.

It kind of "sealed" it for me but I was feeling this way basically from the press conference where he said he would bring back the entire coaching staff. But it's more than that, it's the whole "let's resign an undersized center to a 6y/36mil deal. It's "draft two Euros who may never really help the team rather than draft someone who might not have upside but you know can be a solid rotation player".

It's "sign Songalia who doesn't help you at all in your position of need". It's "bid against yourself for Stevenson (granted, he actually earned his contract but he still bid against himself)". It's "not fire or even put any pressure on a mediocre coach despite his inability to coach big men, his terrible rotations, his lack of emphasis on defense".

It's "do the same thing over and over again - just continuing to wait for everyone to get healthy" - the fact that we won more games this year than last year might be a testament to the depth Grunfield has assembled...but it's ALSO a testament to how badly the pieces ultimately fit. It's not all about talent, it's about synergy. All-star trios are not created equal - Boston's 3 put up worse stats, but who had the parade?

We have 3 All-Stars. Let's face it. Why can't we break the 45 win barrier? Why did we win more games with let's say 1 and 1/2 All-Stars than with 3? Maybe the whole thing just doesn't fit together, and if that's true, we do need to blow it up.

Your expectations are unrealistic. No GM is perfect. The way I see it, EG has made 2 big mistakes: the resigning of Etan, and the drafting of Pecherov. He's also made one mild mistake in signing Songaila to a contract a little bigger and longer than what he was worth.

When Etan was resigned, he was coming off his best year and was universally considered an energetic and physical presence with good character. Everybody loved him. Just about everybody on this board (except me, SevernHoos, and maybe two or three others) were arguing that we should match Milwaukee's offer.

The Pecherov pick was a bad one. There isn't much debate on that point other than the fact that big men can sometimes be slow to develop and maybe it's premature to write him off so early.

Three mistakes.

Here's some of the positives:

He signed Gilbert Arenas.

He traded Stackhouse and a pick for Jamison, which propelled us from a 25-win season to a 45-win season.

He traded Kwame for Caron Butler

He drafted Blatche in the 2nd round

He drafted Nick Young at #16

He drafted DMac at #47

He refused to match Cleveland's ludicrous offer for Hughes when everyone said he should.

He refused to match New York's ludicrous offer for Jeffries when everyone said he should.

He signed Stevenson for peanuts in 2006/07 and Stevenson quickly became our starting SG. He locked him up long term for a reasonable deal.

He signed Daniels to replace Hughes for half the cost.

He refused to trade Haywood despite pressure from the coaches, media and fans to do so.

He managed to salvage a conditional first rounder out of the Navarro situation.

He locked Blatche up to a long term deal for very cheap.

He locked Haywood up to a long term deal at an absurdly cheap price for a starting center.

He locked up Butler to one of the best contracts in the league.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#56 » by Benjammin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 6:37 pm

Nate, I want to play Devil's Advocate with a few of the positives listed for EG.

The DMAC pick should get an incomplete grade. I am hopeful he can develop, but he did not show that much in the regular season, unlike the Summer League.

I don't know that he had an opportunity to match Cleveland's offer for Hughes, but I give him credit for not offering more than he did.

There were many people on this board who said that he should not match New York's offer for Ared Effries. That does not equate with "when everyone said he should".

You have been a strong Stevenson supporter. That's fine. He played better last season than any time in his career. He handled the ball better, his defense began to approach his overinflated reputation. He showed good leadership. He shot the 3 ball well. His TS% is still below average for a shooting guard. He does not finish well at the basket.

The Navarro pick is so heavily protected that I don't think he gets that much credit for that.

In his defense, so far the Pecherov pick looks like a bad one. I'd like to see Stewie be healthy for a full season before making that decision.

EG has done a good job with signing guys to good deals. However, as you pointed out Songaila's contract is a little longer and larger than what should have been needed to sign him.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#57 » by nate33 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:30 pm

Benjammin wrote:Nate, I want to play Devil's Advocate with a few of the positives listed for EG.

The DMAC pick should get an incomplete grade. I am hopeful he can develop, but he did not show that much in the regular season, unlike the Summer League.

I don't know that he had an opportunity to match Cleveland's offer for Hughes, but I give him credit for not offering more than he did.

There were many people on this board who said that he should not match New York's offer for Ared Effries. That does not equate with "when everyone said he should".

You have been a strong Stevenson supporter. That's fine. He played better last season than any time in his career. He handled the ball better, his defense began to approach his overinflated reputation. He showed good leadership. He shot the 3 ball well. His TS% is still below average for a shooting guard. He does not finish well at the basket.

The Navarro pick is so heavily protected that I don't think he gets that much credit for that.

In his defense, so far the Pecherov pick looks like a bad one. I'd like to see Stewie be healthy for a full season before making that decision.

EG has done a good job with signing guys to good deals. However, as you pointed out Songaila's contract is a little longer and larger than what should have been needed to sign him.

Fair points, Benjamin

Regarding Stevenson: to put it succinctly, he's an above average defender and a below average offensive player for his position. Overall, he's about an average player, perhaps slightly below average. He is paid well under the average salary (which is equivalent to the MLE). Looking at his efficiency, his low turnovers, his defense, and his on/off differential, I'm happy that we are paying him just $3.7M per year over 4 years.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,363

Post#58 » by doclinkin » Sat Jun 28, 2008 7:45 pm

nate33 wrote:various sensible posts

Nothing to add but support and agreement.
gilbert_4_2
Rookie

Post#59 » by gilbert_4_2 » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:29 pm

I also agree with Nate.......he's being sensible and at that same time hes tearing some of the EG haters a new ass hole...As he said its not EG's fault we have a **** coach and cheapass owner(i respect Abe but seriously play it like Gibbs and get out at atleast a decent time)....bring on leonsis....also, EG doesn't really have a reason to move an Arenas or AJ when they are at the lowest possibly value
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#60 » by spaceman_E » Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:49 pm

I think there is going to be a lot of crow eaten on Gilbert Arenas this year. There is too much "what have you done for me the last 60 games" going on. I should also preface this by saying that when every Wiz fan was on his D I was getting increasingly frustrated about his lack of defense and too often settling for long jumpers even on his 5-19 nights. He needed to develop a way to maintain his effectiveness even on the off nights and I really think we saw some of that in the playoffs this year with his driving and dishing. This is a HUGE development for him and if he can also pick up his defense to just be average and not gamble so much, he could be a serious MVP candidate this year. Given he returns healthy, I predict he will still score 24-27 a night with career high shooting %'s and anywhere up to 7-8 assists a night. Let's not forget what wins games and championships in the NBA, which is having the best player on the floor. Gilbert is our best shot at having that player. Ok, this doesn't have much to do with Ernie, but I bet he will look pretty smart if this all works out as I foresee.

Return to Washington Wizards