Per ESPN: Jamison 4-year, $50 million extension

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Per ESPN: Jamison 4-year, $50 million extension 

Post#241 » by yungal07 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:57 pm

LyricalRico wrote:The $50M dollar man speaks:

"I'm confident with what we have, but when are we going to get what we need to get to get it done?" Jamison said. "When are we going to realize that we can't let guys penetrate on you, can't let guys control the paint, can't let guys hit open jump shots after open jump shots? It's the little things."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... low-start/

:rofl2:

Oh man, that was hilarious.

Oh lawd. The biggest culprit is complaining about the horrible defense. What's next: Songailia complaining about the team getting outrebounded?
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#242 » by Benjammin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:26 pm

LyricalRico wrote:The $50M dollar man speaks:

"I'm confident with what we have, but when are we going to get what we need to get to get it done?" Jamison said. "When are we going to realize that we can't let guys penetrate on you, can't let guys control the paint, can't let guys hit open jump shots after open jump shots? It's the little things."

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/200 ... low-start/

:rofl2:

Oh man, that was hilarious.

I like the part about "I'm confident with what we have, but when are we going to get what we need to get it done". Well, we spent $50 million re-signing you Mr. Jamison and $115 million re-signing your buddy Gil. What we need to get it done is to get a new coach, get healthy, and put you in a 6 man role or trade your charmin soft a$$ for a real power forward.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#243 » by Wizards2Lottery » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:44 pm

Gilbert0Arenas wrote:
Contract season. I hope he proves me wrong, but no way he gives the same effort next year. He has the final big contract of his career, there is no reason for him to bust his ass out there anymore. Career season + contract year, very deadly thing.

Soft, matador defense and shot jacking at the 4 spot. I'm amped to watch this for the next four years.

I had been saying this all last year and its coming true this year. Antawn only looked like as good as he did last year because he wanted a big fat contract.

Now that he has the final big pay day of his life, he is basically playing like what I had predicted. Terrible defense and chucking to no limits.

Me and yungal were cornered many times in thie discussion last year on how overrated and how useless it is to rely on a player like Jamison for 40 minutes a game. I hate to say I told you so but he fooled a lot of people last year, including our very own GM.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#244 » by yungal07 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:54 pm

^^^High five bro. We knew what we were talkin about. :D
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#245 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:39 pm

Ernie biggest mistake wasn't resigning Jamison, it was not trading Jamison prior to the deadline last year. Pau Gasol was right there for the taking. Jamison had the biggest expiring contract in the league last year and yet Ernie refused to cash in his chips. Apparently Jamison was "untouchable" and his leadership was just too valuable to sacrifice.

As for re-signing Jamison, I understand that move. You didn't want to risk losing a 20 & 10 guy for nothing, no matter his empty numbers. As long as Jamison remains a relatively productive player, he does have some trade value. It's not like he's making $17 mil a season anymore. I think the Wizards can move him if they want to.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#246 » by Benjammin » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:43 pm

Dat2U wrote:Ernie biggest mistake wasn't resigning Jamison, it was not trading Jamison prior to the deadline last year. Pau Gasol was right there for the taking. Jamison had the biggest expiring contract in the league last year and yet Ernie refused to cash in his chips. Apparently Jamison was "untouchable" and his leadership was just too valuable to sacrifice.

As for re-signing Jamison, I understand that move. You didn't want to risk losing a 20 & 10 guy for nothing, no matter his empty numbers. As long as Jamison remains a relatively productive player, he does have some trade value. It's not like he's making $17 mil a season anymore. I think the Wizards can move him if they want to.

I agree Dat that Gasol was out there. But Ernie has to answer to Abe and Abe love Jamison. My concern is that Jamison's production will decline enough that people will start seeing those points as empty ones. The key right now is they can move him if they want to. First, they have to be willing to do so, then they better do it while they can.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#247 » by Dat2U » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Benjammin wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Ernie biggest mistake wasn't resigning Jamison, it was not trading Jamison prior to the deadline last year. Pau Gasol was right there for the taking. Jamison had the biggest expiring contract in the league last year and yet Ernie refused to cash in his chips. Apparently Jamison was "untouchable" and his leadership was just too valuable to sacrifice.

I agree Dat that Gasol was out there. But Ernie has to answer to Abe and Abe love Jamison. My concern is that Jamison's production will decline enough that people will start seeing those points as empty ones. The key right now is they can move him if they want to. First, they have to be willing to do so, then they better do it while they can.

I don't know Ben. I see many giving Ernie a pass based on Abe's meddling. I think its a bit of a reach considering Abe's age, health & limitations. Abe isn't Al Davis at this stage. And Ernie is supposedly a respected GM who's not afraid to hold his ground. Ernie was more than willing to shake up things in NY.

I think its disingenious to potray Ernie as some weak minded GM who's forced to bow to the wishes of the evil Godfather in Abe Pollin. It just doesn't make sense based on the characters involved. Ernie has more than enough respect around the league to just hold on to a job where he's constantly overruled by a meddling owner. Ernie could get another job in heartbeat in a profession where awful GMs are constantly recycled. Abe is damn near on his death bed and likely not healthy enough to be involved in the day-to-day operations of the team.

Abe has meddled in the past, it may be fair to give him credit for the Etan signing years back or EJ's initial contract extention but giving Ernie a pass for every mistake this organization makes and blaming it on Abe seems a bit too simplistic imo.

Return to Washington Wizards