ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1541 » by Illmatic12 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 12:05 am

What is Turgeon doing? Why do so many kids seem allergic to his program?
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,866

Post#1542 » by Wizardspride » Wed Apr 9, 2014 12:17 am

Illmatic12 wrote:What is Turgeon doing? Why do so many kids seem allergic to his program?

It's called "getting recruited over".

Turgeon has brought in better talent (on paper).
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#1543 » by spaceman_E » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:15 am

Wizardspride wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:What is Turgeon doing? Why do so many kids seem allergic to his program?

I don't see a top 60 wing or center in the fold and I'm pretty sure at least 1 of Melo/Wiley was on board when Roddy committed.

Faust was a very talented defender but didn't seem to have the mental part of the game. He was also a "shooter" with horrible form that led to crazy inconsistency. He simply never developed enough imo, not sure where to place blame.

Cleare, I could never tell if he was unskilled and nonathletic or just picked on by refs. He was basically invisible other than the two times a game he'd try to use his muscle and would draw an offensive foul.

Roddy, I'm really not sure what his strengths are supposed to be. He struck me as below average at every facet except maybe intangibles. Of course he was only a Freshman so who knows how he could have developed.
You don't win friends with salad.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1544 » by Wizardspride » Wed Apr 9, 2014 9:24 am

spaceman_E wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

I don't see a top 60 wing or center in the fold and I'm pretty sure at least 1 of Melo/Wiley was on board when Roddy committed.

Faust was a very talented defender but didn't seem to have the mental part of the game. He was also a "shooter" with horrible form that led to crazy inconsistency. He simply never developed enough imo, not sure where to place blame.

Cleare, I could never tell if he was unskilled and nonathletic or just picked on by refs. He was basically invisible other than the two times a game he'd try to use his muscle and would draw an offensive foul.

Roddy, I'm really not sure what his strengths are supposed to be. He struck me as below average at every facet except maybe intangibles. Of course he was only a Freshman so who knows how he could have developed.

Cleare and Faust were ranked higher but if you watch Nickens/Reed/Cekovsky you can see the difference.

Reed is much more athletic than Cleare in addition to being like 5-6 inches taller with a crazy wing span.

Even when Cleare was coming out of HS I never saw one thing he'd be dominate at.

Now Reed OTOH, is another story entirely. That kid will be a dominate shot blocker the moment he steps on campus.

I have no doubt about Faust's athletic ability but I don't think he's a particularly smart player. But ultimately, I think his biggest weakness is his inability to consistently shoot.

Nickens is athletic but his ability to to put the ball on the floor isn't as good as Faust....but he's getting much better at it.

Now where Nickens excels is from long range. An athletic guy who can stroke 3s? I'll take it. :)

Roddy imo, is a much better athlete than he is a basketball player.

Heck, he's much more athletic than Romelo Trimble but Trimble is 10x the basketball player.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#1545 » by go'stags » Wed Apr 9, 2014 1:27 pm

By losing Faust we might have just improved our record in close games by a few wins. He made 3 or 4 boneheaded plays per game, and when you look at Maryland's record in close games, you can kind of piece things together.

We also got nothing from our front court last year, so losing Cleare doesn't hurt, but hopefully at least one freshman can play.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#1546 » by spaceman_E » Wed Apr 9, 2014 3:33 pm

Reed's impact will be huge if he can defend the rim. We didn't have a single guy to challenge shots last year, the drop off from Len was monstrous
You don't win friends with salad.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1547 » by Ruzious » Wed Apr 9, 2014 4:55 pm

spaceman_E wrote:Reed's impact will be huge if he can defend the rim. We didn't have a single guy to challenge shots last year, the drop off from Len was monstrous

Lucky for him, there's no 3 second rule on defense in college, so he should at least block a lot of shots, but really - MD needs 2 way players. Layman and Wells can do that on that on the college level at the wings, but the UConn example shows you win big in college by having a quality backcourt and playing defense. Really, the key guy is probably Trimble at the point - freeing up Seth Allen to move to the 2. Trimble having a good frosh year is necessary.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#1548 » by FAH1223 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 6:01 pm

I'd look for Allen to really step up with Trimble facilitating.

It's nice to now have some length in the front court

I'm happy Faust is gone. When I think of our issues with turnovers, Faust AUTOMATICALLY comes to mind first.

Hopefully the new kids can contribute, definitely don't want to be so sucky in the B1G in our first year with so many quality schools to go up against.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#1549 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Apr 9, 2014 8:50 pm

Trimble only scored 2 in the Capital Classic. How good is he as a play maker?

Reed is a dunker only who was fairly easily backed down by another HS 7 footer. Reed does block and alter shots, however. He is filling out and has good height, but right now he's like young Javale McGee but with less offense.

Cevoskey looks very weak in the upper body, and is strictly a PF prospect.

Nickens and Wiley figure to fill in the depth chart at swing positions--and are two players who I hope can defend.

I am tempering my expectations. IMO don't count on the freshmen to make a huge impact.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1550 » by Wizardspride » Wed Apr 9, 2014 9:34 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Trimble only scored 2 in the Capital Classic. How good is he as a play maker?

http://thenflmock.com/romelo-trimble.html
Romelo Trimble

Scouting Report

Strengths:
Trimble is a sharpshooting combo guard with a flawless looking jumper. Can shoot it off of the catch and dribble. Very good ball handler who changes speeds and incorporates hesitation moves to get by his defender. Showing improved point guard skills and has done a nice job running an offense and looking to put his teammates in scoring position.

Weaknesses:
As I mentioned above, Trimble is adjusting to become a full-time point guard. He has made a lot of strides and should continue to develop his floor game. Needs to add strength to be able to defend bigger guards and finish at the rim on a consistent basis.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1551 » by FAH1223 » Wed Apr 9, 2014 9:44 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Trimble only scored 2 in the Capital Classic. How good is he as a play maker?

Reed is a dunker only who was fairly easily backed down by another HS 7 footer. Reed does block and alter shots, however. He is filling out and has good height, but right now he's like young Javale McGee but with less offense.

Cevoskey looks very weak in the upper body, and is strictly a PF prospect.

Nickens and Wiley figure to fill in the depth chart at swing positions--and are two players who I hope can defend.

I am tempering my expectations. IMO don't count on the freshmen to make a huge impact.

I'd count on a collective impact, they will get minutes, atleast a couple certainly will.

But in my mind, the program has to have a bounce back season. Turgeon is on the hot seat IMO.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#1552 » by go'stags » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Ruz, if Reed can alter shots he will have a bigger impact than every other big man Maryland had last year. I struggle to name ONE thing they offered the team.
LyricalRico wrote:

Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1553 » by Ruzious » Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:42 pm

go'stags wrote:Ruz, if Reed can alter shots he will have a bigger impact than every other big man Maryland had last year. I struggle to name ONE thing they offered the team.

Yeah, Shaq started most games and averaged about 3 point and 3 rebounds a game - and wasn't a factor on defense. I'm guessing he got overrated because of his name and his size. Poor kid tried but he just didn't have the talent. Mitchell I think does have some talent, but he and Faust made so many stupid turnovers, it was hard to watch. If he'd just be consistent and play smart, he could be effective in the way Boom Osby was several years ago. I was hoping Dodd would develop, but he barely played.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1554 » by Wizardspride » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:53 pm

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8M4GEuKKFbA[/youtube]
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1555 » by Wizardspride » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:40 pm

Man, I forgot all about Leak's return.

We are absolutely loaded at receiver.

Best WR corps in the B1G and it's not even close.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/ter ... nal-leave/

Terps WR Marcus Leak ‘light-years more mature’ after personal leave

The recoveries of Stefon Diggs and Deon Long from broken legs have been prominent story lines for Maryland football this spring, but the return of another wide receiver, Marcus Leak, has been even more meaningful, if less acknowledged.

“It’s been a humbling experience, being away from my teammates, seeing a lot of things I was taking for granted,” Leak said. “I think I matured a lot in my time away, but it’s just great being back, being back with my
team and moving forward.”

The circumstances surrounding Leak’s abrupt departure from the Terrapins remain a mystery. Last May, Coach Randy Edsall announced Leak had withdrawn from school. It was not related to academics or discipline, a source said at the time, but rather a personal decision. Later, Edsall said Leak needed “to go home for a semester.” The reasons why are unclear. The result is not.

“You see a more mature young man,” Edsall said. “You see a young man that I think now has his priorities in line, so he can be successful in every phase of his life. He understood and learned that there’s certain ways you have to do things in order to be successful. I see a guy who’s adapted well since he’s been back here and a guy that found out a lot about himself and a lot about what life is about.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1556 » by Wizardspride » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Ahmed Ghafir @GhafirTheTurtle

ICYMI, 2015 QB Kai Locksley (@LOCKSnLOADED_3) tweeted that FSU and Auburn lead, with Maryland rounding out his top 3.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1557 » by Wizardspride » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:34 pm

http://www.nbadraft.net/derby-festival- ... tice-notes

While most of the nation’s eyes are on the Jordan Brand Classic this weekend, many of the top 50 high school seniors in America will be participating in the Derby Festival Classic in Louisville, Kentucky. Here are some of the players who stood out on the first day of practice:

Dion Wiley SG 6’4 195: Maryland

Wiley has great size for a guard and showed tremendous elevation on his jump shot. With three of his teammates yet to arrive in Louisville Wiley’s team was forced to scrimmage 3 on 3 and he was virtually unguardable. Needing very little space to get his shot off and also showing a consistent step back Wiley showed why he is one of the top shooters in the class. For a Maryland offense that struggled this season Wiley will be a breath of fresh air as someone who can fill it up from all over the court.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1558 » by Wizardspride » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:10 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-footba ... 014-042414

Top 10 Shooters in 2014

6. Romelo Trimble -- When Mark Turgeon and Maryland reeled in Romelo Trimble, he immediately added one of the best shooters in the 2014 class. Trimble shot in the mid-40'sfrom three during his senior season at Arlington (Va.) Bishop O'Connell. While he's known as a shooter, Trimble is more than just that. He's an equipped scorer that can make mid-range shots and score at the rim.

7. Jared Nickens -- A long, wiry wing prospect out of Westtown (Pa.) High, Nickens is a terrific long-range threat. His shot is effortless and much like the rest of the guys on this list, Nickens is able to step well away from the stripe and making jump shots with consistency. I saw Nickens, pump in six threes in a game during his senior season and he made it look easy. Nickens will also play his college basketball at Maryland.
FAH1223
RealGM

Post#1559 » by FAH1223 » Fri May 2, 2014 6:49 pm

Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1560 » by Wizardspride » Fri May 2, 2014 9:28 pm

FAH1223 wrote:Seth Allen is transferring.

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/5/2/56 ... d-transfer

Supposedly Charles Mitchell is next.

Turgeon is done.

Return to Washington Wizards