ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,853

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1121 » by Wizardspride » Thu Oct 4, 2012 11:21 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:I expect the elder Harrison will have a new job on a coaching staff, or some other perk will turn up. No way somebody didn't take care of him.

CCJ, I don't believe that's the case at all.

I've followed this recruitment and Papa Harrison was Terps all the way.

But he left the final decision to his children.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#1122 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Oct 4, 2012 11:33 pm

Yeah, I'm just mad. I don't believe that, either, WP.

I think it was a case of kids wanting one thing and Dad having about the same influence most of us dads do.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1123 » by Wizardspride » Thu Oct 4, 2012 11:51 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Yeah, I'm just mad. I don't believe that, either, WP.

I think it was a case of kids wanting one thing and Dad having about the same influence most of us dads do.

What kinda bothers me is that the twins gave an interview where they stated that they like to do the unexpected and wanted to forge thier own legacy.

I guess they weren't serious.

This little quote should be motivation for the Terps. Andrew Harrison: We wanted to go where we could win."
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#1124 » by DMVleGeND » Fri Oct 5, 2012 12:04 am

Not everyone wants to see stacked teams. I'd prefer to see the blue chip talent more dispersed. These kids are following the path of least resistance, stacking the deck and forgoing leaving their own legacies at the college level, which is completely understandable since the college game is just a stepping stone. But I'm not a fan of this AAU style, "joining forces" mentality that's pervasive among all levels of basketball now. Whatever happened to beating your competitors and trying to prove you're better than them?
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,453

Post#1125 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Fri Oct 5, 2012 2:14 am

DMVleGeND wrote:Not everyone wants to see stacked teams. I'd prefer to see the blue chip talent more dispersed. These kids are following the path of least resistance, stacking the deck and forgoing leaving their own legacies at the college level, which is completely understandable since the college game is just a stepping stone. But I'm not a fan of this AAU style, "joining forces" mentality that's pervasive among all levels of basketball now. Whatever happened to beating your competitors and trying to prove you're better than them?

That went out of style when LeDouche took his talents and his two for one Applebies coupons to South Beach
In Rizzo we trust
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1126 » by miller31time » Fri Oct 5, 2012 2:25 am

I'd feel terrible choosing Kentucky if I were the kids. Disappointing your father and mentor just so you can get more publicity? Yeesh. And it's not like UMD was offering chump change. We'd be the #1 ranked team AND they'd have the Underarmor sponsorship which is huge.
REDardWIZskin
Senior
And1: 2

Post#1127 » by REDardWIZskin » Fri Oct 5, 2012 1:41 pm

Usually guys want to go to a team where they will be able to show their game, but as long as they are continually 4-5 guys drafted in the first rd from UK who assume lesser roles. Kids will keep following. They should definitely have at least 3 first rd picks next draft with Nerlens, Goodwin and Harrow. Teague looked bad to me adjusting to the college game and should have returned but he was still taken in the first round. After having his best game in the championship.
Sit back and watch WALL WORK!! >:-)
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#1128 » by MF23 » Fri Oct 5, 2012 1:47 pm

I'm surprised those kids chose Kentucky. Maryland's going in the right direction with or without them. A solid season should should shut up all the negative recruiting that's probably been used against the program.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1129 » by Higga » Fri Oct 5, 2012 2:49 pm

Can't say I'm surprised. Kids want to go where it's easy to win. The Harrison Twins could have been kings at College Park. Instead they go to Kentucky where they'll be just another good player(s).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1130 » by fishercob » Fri Oct 5, 2012 3:52 pm

I am starting to remember what turned me off about the Maryland basketball culture. People have every right to be disappointed. But how can you be upset at anyone for choosing to go to play for the defending national champion? Calipari's record of developing high lottery picks is second to none. The invective directed towards these kids for their decision and to Calipari fir being successful are simply pathetic. The fact that Turgeon had Maryland in the final two is an accomplishment in and of itself and a sign of huge progress for the program.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1131 » by Ruzious » Fri Oct 5, 2012 4:04 pm

fishercob wrote:I am starting to remember what turned me off about the Maryland basketball culture. People have every right to be disappointed. But how can you be upset at anyone for choosing to go to play for the defending national champion? Calipari's record of developing high lottery picks is second to none. The invective directed towards these kids for their decision and to Calipari fir being successful are simply pathetic. The fact that Turgeon had Maryland in the final two is an accomplishment in and of itself and a sign of huge progress for the program.

Oh please. "Maryland basketball culture" has nothing to do with this. Any fan of any college who's been in the race for both the 2nd and 3rd rated prospect in the nation for months will feel a bit jilted when they lose out to the powerhouse school.

I agree with your other comments, but MD fans aren't reacting any worse than any other school's fans would in a similar situation. But I do agree that there are some issues with the young generation of MD basketball fans, in general - particularly the lack of respect given to Gary Williams.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1132 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 6, 2012 1:11 pm

fishercob wrote:I am starting to remember what turned me off about the Maryland basketball culture. People have every right to be disappointed. But how can you be upset at anyone for choosing to go to play for the defending national champion? Calipari's record of developing high lottery picks is second to none. The invective directed towards these kids for their decision and to Calipari fir being successful are simply pathetic. The fact that Turgeon had Maryland in the final two is an accomplishment in and of itself and a sign of huge progress for the program.

It took me 36 hours.

That's about how long it took for me to go from taking the low road and hating the decision the Harrison twins made to realizing they chose to go to what they thought was a better opportunity. Those two kids achieved greatness relative to their peers in the first place. They put the work in. They are great talents. They would have elevated the profile of UMCP and Terrapin basketball. That's what i wanted to see happen with them choosing Maryland. When they chose Kentucky I was immediately down about it and felt like they strung Coach Turgeon and Marylan fans along.

Regardless, the way I feel now is they're where they want to be. fisher, they chose the more successful head coach and program. I don't really see Turgeon having any moral victory whatever for not landing them. They knew this coach for years when he recruited them as Texas A&M. Their dad knows Turge's lead assistant. They have family in Baltimore (grandparents). Under Armor was all over the Twins indirectly with certain future endorsements had they chosen Maryland.

No, it was a huge letdown to see them go elsewhere. But I am over it, totally. I wish them the best, except for the games against Maryland. I hope the Terps kick Kentucky and the Harrison twins' butts whenever they meet.
Bye bye Beal.
Cramer
Lead Assistant
And1: 381

Post#1133 » by Cramer » Mon Oct 8, 2012 2:53 pm

Lets be real, World Wide Wes backed up a Brinks truck and told them they could have all the cash they could carry.
jmrosenth
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 108

Post#1134 » by jmrosenth » Mon Oct 8, 2012 2:58 pm

We can all agree that Calipari is dirty. But the bright side for MD is that they were in the game for these guys. Gary Williams HATED recruiting and it showed. Turgeon is a good recruiter, which is a very good thing for the future prospects of the program. Now just don't let the likes of Cramer's boy Scottie Reynolds go unnoticed, and everything will be fine.
[quote:6312c12ed1="imperium1999"]
i had had two martinis at this point so i asked her if he every shouted DAGGER in the bedroom with her.

she looked at me kinda strangely and said she had no idea what DAGGER meant.
[/quote]
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1135 » by Ruzious » Mon Oct 8, 2012 4:25 pm

Cramer wrote:Lets be real, World Wide Wes backed up a Brinks truck and told them they could have all the cash they could carry.

WWW and Nike looked down at Under Armour and started howling.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1136 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Mon Oct 8, 2012 4:58 pm

http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/10/4/3 ... commitment

I can understand a bit
why some folks here wish [the Harrison twins] well.

I don’t.

They had a chance to be heroes for the entire state of Maryland and all of Terp Nation. They decided to be “just another player” in the machine that is Kentucky.

They had a chance to play with one of their best friends in college, and decided that didn’t matter.

They had a chance to play in front of family, and they decided that didn’t matter either.

They had a chance to be leaders. They could have brought a very good basketball program back to greatness, and they would have been the guys leading the charge. Instead, they decided to simply follow the path of least resistance, and make the “easy” choice.

They had a chance to be all-in with Under Armour, being showcase players for the brand both at the college level and pro level. They’ve now thrown out the college bit (and who knows what will happen after college).

They had a chance to play in the best basketball conference in the country. UNC, Duke, Syracuse, and up and coming Florida State, NC State, etc. They decided to go play in a football conference.

They insulted everyone’s intelligence by saying that they’ll stay at Kentucky for four years. bull.

I feel sorry for their father, who obviously wanted them to go to Maryland. I don’t really give a @#% about Calipari. Don’t like him, don’t hate him … although Kentucky is now on my “least favorite schools” list. I might root for Louisville just out of spite.

Props to Turgeon, despite not getting ‘em. The kids will do whatever they’re going to do. The Terps will move on and be very, very good. I really hope we can get Peters.

GO TERPS. Kick Kentucky’s ass in Brooklyn (and then again in the NCAA tournament, as much as possible.)

by mdak06 on Oct 4, 2012 5:09 PM PDT
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1137 » by Wizardspride » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Terps having an in-home visit with Roddy Peters tonight.

Sources say his decision is imminent.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1138 » by Wizardspride » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:30 pm

http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/10/16/ ... recruiting

Highly-Touted Local Guard Roddy Peters Commits to Maryland
RealGM

Post#1139 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:29 pm

Wizardspride wrote:http://www.testudotimes.com/2012/10/16/3507232/roddy-peters-commit-maryland-terrapins-basketball-recruiting

Highly-Touted Local Guard Roddy Peters Commits to Maryland

:rockon:

That rates a WHOOP, WHOOP!

I got goose bumps, Wizardspride. This kid Peters is a future NBA player. Him and Seth Allen, I cannot wait to see in a couple years BEAT them damned twins.
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1140 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:41 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/recr ... 9115.story

Roddy Peters, a four-star point guard from Suitland High, committed to the Terps this morning, according to InsideMDSports. Rivals.com’s No. 39 prospect in the 2013 class picked Maryland over offers from Georgetown, Kansas, Memphis, Rutgers, Seton Hall, UCLA and Xavier.

:clap:

A 6-foot-4, 180-pound senior, Peters averaged 23 points, 5.2 assists and 2.4 steals last season. In four playoff games for Suitland, the future Terp put up 30.5 points per game. Maryland, Peters said in January, was the school he “grew up watching.”

“I always watched guys like Juan Dixon,” he said. “Most kids in this area go away for college. Nobody stays local and I’d like to stay."

Peters had scheduled visits to Kansas and UCLA, but canceled both for various reasons. He visited Comcast Center last Friday for Maryland Madness and hosted Turgeon for an in-home visit last night.

Peters join Massanutten (Va.) Military Academy power forward Damonte Dodd as the second member of Maryland’s 2013 class. Both players are expected to sign their letters of intent during the early signing period next month.

The program is starting to get some serious talent. I think Turgeon is an excellent coach from and X and O and motivational standpoint. Peters just might be a better fit from a team aspect, and he's not going to be a one-and-done like those two guys down in Texas would have been.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards