Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,853

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1161 » by Wizardspride » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:00 am

https://twitter.com/McMurphyESPN/status ... 4232615936

Brett McMurphyVerified
‏@McMurphyESPN

Maryland in negotiations w/B1G. If Terps go, Rutgers would also join B1G sources tell
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,954

Post#1162 » by FAH1223 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:09 am

Its a done deal. School is tweeting it

Univ of Maryland ‏@UofMaryland
Men's Basketball Championship will be in a real city. So long, Greensboro.

Goodbye, Carolina Bias!

Univ of Maryland Univ of Maryland ‏@UofMaryland
New Road Trips!
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1163 » by miller31time » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:11 am

I really don't like this news.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1164 » by Wizardspride » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:21 am

FAH1223 wrote:Its a done deal. School is tweeting it

Men's Basketball Championship will be in a real city. So long, Greensboro.

Goodbye, Carolina Bias!

Univ of Maryland Univ of Maryland ‏@UofMaryland
New Road Trips!

I don't see any of those tweets on UM's twitter page.

Edit: Just found out that someone hacked UM's twitter feed. Disregard those tweets.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 355

Post#1165 » by Benjammin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:46 am

It may not be a done deal, but I think it will happen. It's probably a good move financially for Maryland. I'm sorry to see it happen as a UVA alum, but more power to them. The Big Ten isn't exactly chopped liver either, although it feels a little like Maryland wants a reboot so they're willing to try this.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1166 » by Wizardspride » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:02 pm

https://twitter.com/DanHellie

Dan Hellie ‏@DanHellie

Several highly connected folks at U. of Maryland said deal to Big 10 is done. Just need rubber stamp from Board. Announcement likely Monday
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1167 » by LyricalRico » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:23 pm

And to think, all the NCAA needed to do was have a legit football playoff instituted a few years ago and we could have avoided all of this ridiculous re-alignment.

:nonono:
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1168 » by Higga » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:31 am

That's some bull. Maryland is an ACC team. Maryland-Ohio State or Maryland-Indiana just isn't the same as Maryland-UNC or Maryland-Duke.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1169 » by Wizardspride » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:01 am

https://twitter.com/BonnieBernstein

Bonnie Bernstein ‏@BonnieBernstein

On #Terps to B1G: Been told financial pkg is redonkulous. Don't like leaving ACC, but w ath dept in dire financial straits, I get it
Silvie Lysandra
Starter
And1: 364

Post#1170 » by Silvie Lysandra » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:19 am

And the mismanagement of Maryland athletics continues.

Selling out MD basketball and the great tradition for a bit more football revenue? Sounds like a Maryland move.

They're nearly as badly run as the Wiz.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1171 » by Higga » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:52 pm

Chaos Revenant wrote:And the mismanagement of Maryland athletics continues.

Selling out MD basketball and the great tradition for a bit more football revenue? Sounds like a Maryland move.

They're nearly as badly run as the Wiz.

Yeah not sure what the obsession with football is. Maryland is and always will be a basketball program. That's where they rake in the big bucks, and they actually have a shot at being National Champs in it(no chance at ever winning a title in football).

Yeah the Big 10 may bring in more football money, but it'll hurt the basketball program. Also, historically the Big 10 is much stronger in football than the ACC so the chances of being a contender in the Big 10 are worse. Basketball wise though they really only have to compete with Indiana as a perennial power(Ohio State and the other good teams tend to cycle in and out, Indiana with Crean will basically be on Kentucky with Calipari or UNC and Duke with Roy and K level).
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#1172 » by MF23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:20 pm

Great move.

First and foremost let me say f*** the ACC. They've never helped UMCP with ****. I've always noticed the bias from refs or administrative decisions never going in UM's favor. Those Carolina schools had such a logistic advantage and then they have the nerve to have the tournament in NC every year. F them!

The school is in a decade long hole due to Yow. I think there is a misconception that in a few years UM would be back in the black. Unless either money generating sport made it to a championship game they were going to be in a hole. There's a bunch of other nerdy stuff I'm not going into but it's good UM gets to restart programs and compete nationally.

The big10 made a good choice. UM is one of the better academic schools in the country that also have competitive sports programs. The league has a 24 hour TV network that will expand to the DMV. UM earns more money just by opening up their market.

This is UM's chance to really go big time. Mr. Anderson will have to throw more money into the football program. The equation has always been the same. You keep the local talent you can compete nationally and if you compete nationally the fans will come. I expect Mr. Anderson to be as aggressive as he has been. The supporters expect to compete in the big10 which means building facilities and competitive coaching staffs with ties to the Midwest.

As far as basketball I think Mark Turgeon's style fits the big10. He doesn't press and he likes to set up the half court on most offensive possessions. ACC basketball hasn't been great since they expanded and besides the best talent leaves yearly.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#1173 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:43 pm

Makes all the sense in the world $ wise but this team is going to get destroyed in football. You guys think it's bad now, just wait until they play Michigan, Nebraska, Ohio State on a yearly basis. Basketball, I'm not so sure, because they are getting good recruits now, but again, powerhouses...Indiana, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State....
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
MF23
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#1174 » by MF23 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:01 pm

They can compete with them if they lock down the local talent. The DMV produces first round draft talent every year. Your right though, as is they will get their as* whipped.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
keynote
General Manager
And1: 2,587

Post#1175 » by keynote » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:02 pm

Maryland's going to try to position themselves as a Kentucky-type in the Big 10 - a basketball power in a football conference. Kentucky is happy to collect their share of the SEC's big fat football check, but they don't really try to compete on that front. In the Big 10, OSU, Michigan, etc., have strong basketball programs, but only Maryland and Indiana (and maybe Michigan State) have basketball programs that don't play second fiddle to football in their school's hierarchy. Perhaps that'll matter in recruiting. In the ACC, Maryland was a basketball school in a conference chock full of basketball schools revolving around UNC and Duke.

So, while I don't like the move, I can see how it could actually help Maryland hoops. Sure, they'll be a football doormat, but they're a football doormat now to the ACC - and get a lot less money for the privilege.
Always remember, my friend: the world will change again. And you may have to come back through everywhere you've been.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,756

Post#1176 » by Rafael122 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:44 pm

I look at it like this, Diggs was down to Ohio State and Maryland. This area is a hotbed for talent. If Maryland were in the Big 10 now, do you think he would still pick Maryland over Ohio State? Why go to Maryland and be a basement dweller when I can go to Ohio State? At least in the ACC, you have a puncher's chance. It's going to be an issue recruiting wise if a school like OSU and Maryland are going after the same player.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#1177 » by Halcyon » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 am

To me, my brain says yes but my heart says no. It sucks to be throwing away 60 years of tradition just like that, but it seems like we have no choice at this point.
sashae
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#1178 » by sashae » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 am

I'm heartbroken. I've been a Maryland fan for ages, and my wife and her family went to Duke. The years of a vicious, family-rending ACC tourney are over for what? Money? The rivalries UMD has with Duke, UNC, NC State, and Wake are not going to be replicated in the Big 10. SO LAME.
ernie grunfeld: the perpetual dumpster fire of general management
Floater
Junior
And1: 43

Post#1179 » by Floater » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:41 am

The B10 is a better football AND basketball conference. ACC isn't what it used to be.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1180 » by Wizardspride » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:44 am

2014 4-Star Bishop O'Connell PG/SG Romelo Trimble will commit tomorrow.

Many sources believe he'll be a Terp.

Return to Washington Wizards