Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1221 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:57 am

FAH1223 wrote:Was at the game, kinda surprised to see them storm the court after that

Yeah, that was flat out weird. God love em, but the young MD fan base isn't very sophisticated. NC State is a team we generally expect to beat and don't really have much of a rivalry with. And them being 14th ranked is nice, but they're not an elite team or program. Not to mention (but I am mentioning it), the game was one of the worst offensive performances I've seen since... their last game. :o
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#1222 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Ruz, I respectfully beg to differ. I think our beloved Terps did something pretty special beating State.

NCSt is 12th in RPI and they have two legit first round prospects in Lorenzo Brown and CJ Leslie. Scott Wood is lethal from three point range. Howell just had 18 rebounds (to Mason Plumlee's 11) in their win over Duke. Those players are juniors (2) and seniors (2). Frosh TJ Warren averages double figures. After scoring 10 against Duke, the Terps held Warren scoreless.

I agree that storming the court was over the top, but NC State's students stormed the court last game when they beat Duke. We just beat the team that beat Duke. The last second tip in just made the students happy. Ruz, the young fans embarrassed you? I got so loud at my sons' youth football games I embarrassed myself. :)
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1223 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:32 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:Ruz, I respectfully beg to differ. I think our beloved Terps did something pretty special beating State.

NCSt is 12th in RPI and they have two legit first round prospects in Lorenzo Brown and CJ Leslie. Scott Wood is lethal from three point range. Howell just had 18 rebounds (to Mason Plumlee's 11) in their win over Duke. Those players are juniors (2) and seniors (2). Frosh TJ Warren averages double figures. After scoring 10 against Duke, the Terps held Warren scoreless.

I agree that storming the court was over the top, but NC State's students stormed the court last game when they beat Duke. We just beat the team that beat Duke. The last second tip in just made the students happy. Ruz, the young fans embarrassed you? I got so loud at my sons' youth football games I embarrassed myself. :)

CCJ, Brown, Leslie, and Howell are nice players, but they're not elite. Actually, I like Howell better than Leslie. They're ranked 14th, and that's where they should have been ranked. 14th is good, but you don't rush the floor for the 14th ranked team unless you're a very small school. This is the University of bygosh MD :) - not your son's youth football team. It's a little different. Whenever the students do that in mass, there is risk of injury (which I'm sure you know has happened several times), so you gotta save it for when it counts. And a really ugly 51-50 win over NC State just ain't even close.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
RealGM

Post#1224 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:44 pm

Maryland basketball has perhaps never looked so ugly. Turgeon has those guys playing some filthy (good) defense. Never thought I'd miss the flex sets Gary ran, but I've noticed that Turgeon likes to coach defense over offense.

I hated that game against Miami. :( That was some of the worst bball I've ever seen. However, I appreciated the Miami game when I saw the Terps slow down NC State. They ground them down. The Terps are a lot like the Wizards in that they are a defense-first team. Maryland games are wars. The Kentucky game came down to a war. This team is ugly but it fights hard.

I hope that at some point the offense plays out like it did at Northwestern. Len dominated. Wells dominated. Aronhalt got open and got off. Howard got in the lane. Layman it threes and played with confidence. It was a beautiful thing to watch. I hope this team will get more like that in future games.
Bye bye Beal.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1225 » by Higga » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Storming the court after beating NC **** State? Really? Man the standards have dropped. But the National Title was 11 years ago, so it's a new generation I guess. Still, great game even if it was ugly to watch. Needed that W too, couldn't afford to drop another ACC game.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1226 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:12 pm

Thing is - when you win an ugly game like that - it's usually called a tough gritty effort. But when you lose a game like that... it's usually called an unwatchable disgrace. Good thing Len caught that "pass" from Howard. :lol:
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,954

Post#1227 » by FAH1223 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:42 pm

UMD is ranked THIRD in the nation in defense (PPG and FG% against)
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1228 » by miller31time » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:49 pm

End of the first half.

Maryland - 20
Reggie Bullock - 21

Well done, Terps!
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1229 » by miller31time » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:10 pm

I just can't scream this from the rooftops loud enough - Alex Len is not ready for the NBA....not by a long shot.
RealGM

Post#1230 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:31 pm

miller31time wrote:I just can't scream this from the rooftops loud enough - Alex Len is not ready for the NBA....not by a long shot.

I picked a great game to miss watching.
Bye bye Beal.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,954

Post#1231 » by FAH1223 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Watched the first half, pretty brutal and then turned it off.

Tough stretch if the schedule is here, I want these guys to atleast compete instead of turning it over every damn possession.
RealGM

Post#1232 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:35 pm

Duke game was even more brutal to watch. This Terps team desperately needs better PG play. Duke spread them out and exposed Maryland's defense. They executed and shot well. They thoroughly outplayed Maryland.

Plumlee outmaneuvered Len. He showed what staying in school will do. Alex won't stay but he could use one more year. I was impressed with Plumlee. He will be a good NBA player.

For the Terps, the one bright spot was Charles Mitchell. He showed some nice post moves.
Bye bye Beal.
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#1233 » by DMVleGeND » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:27 am

What a horrible meltdown tonight. Brick Faust cost them the game when he missed that FT...
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1234 » by Higga » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:59 pm

Florida **** State...SMH. Heartbreak city for the Terps.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,853

Post#1235 » by Wizardspride » Tue Feb 5, 2013 12:47 am

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rec ... _blog.html

Friendship Collegiate LB Yannick Ngakoue to choose between Florida State, Maryland, South Carolina

When Yannick Ngakoue transferred from Carroll to Friendship Collegiate last winter, he arrived on his new campus with “two or three” scholarship offers, according to Friendship coach Aazaar Abdul-Rahim. A year later, and after considering what Abdul-Rahim estimates to be “30 to 40” offers considered this fall, Ngakoue will choose from Maryland, South Carolina and Florida State on National Signing Day on Wednesday.

One of those programs will be acquiring an electric player, one who transformed himself into a high-level recruit between his junior and senior season, Abdul-Rahim said. He was able to add weight without losing speed, and move in and out of the defensive end and linebacker positions without losing effectiveness.

And for the second consecutive season, Abdul-Rahim will be sending off a hyped recruit who went the full distance in the recruiting race. Last year, offensive lineman Eddie Goldman chose Florida State during a festive morning ceremony at Friendship, ending a fierce three-year recruitment process. The pursuit of Ngakoue hasn’t been quite as exhausting, Abdul-Rahim said, but he expects eight other players to sign Football Bowl Series or Football Championship Subdivision letters of intent on Wednesday, which is more than last year’s class at the school. Nonetheless, Ngakoue’s decision will be among the most anticipated in the region.

“Yannick kind of, just, blew up,” Abdul-Rahim. “People were on the radar with him, but not like right now.”

Ngakoue has kept a low profile the last several weeks, but publicly told the Post last month that all three schools “were pretty equal right now.” He verbally committed to Maryland last June, alongside Friendship offensive lineman prospect Derwin Gray and linebacker Cavon Walker, but pulled out of that pledge a few months later and re-opened his recruitment heading into his senior season.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1236 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 5, 2013 2:57 am

Maryland still has a football program?
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1237 » by Wizardspride » Tue Feb 5, 2013 7:43 pm

Mike Locksley.......

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rec ... _blog.html

Suitland WR Taivon Jacobs to decide between Ohio State, Maryland on National Signing Day

On the eve of National Signing Day, Suitland senior Taivon Jacobs, a two-time All-Met wide receiver, said in a phone interview he will decide between Ohio State and Maryland during a ceremony at his school on Wednesday at 10 a.m.

Jacobs orally committed to Ohio State in July, but he said he has been reconsidering that decision in recent weeks for a variety of factors, including his desire to be close to his one-year-old daughter, Bailey.

“I’ve discussed it over with my family,” Jacobs said. “I want to make the best choice for me. I have a child. I want to make sure I’m a great father and a great player.”

Also a standout sprinter on the track, Jacobs said both schools have outlined similar plans for him football-wise. At either place, he said he would play wide receiver and contribute on special teams.

Jacobs’ older brother, Levern, is a rising sophomore wide receiver for the Terrapins, and Jacobs said his brother has been helpful as he moves toward a decision.

“He talks to me like he’s not a Maryland player,” Jacobs said. “He gives me advice like a big brother should. He told me to look at the pros and the cons and whatever weighs out best, that’s where I should go.”

Jacobs said he would be able to run track at both schools, as well. When the senior was originally deciding where to give an oral commitment the future of Maryland’s men’s track team was in doubt, but it has since been saved from the list of programs eliminated by the school.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1238 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 6, 2013 2:29 pm

https://twitter.com/insidemdsports

Jakob Engelke ‏@Jakob_Engelke

I'm headed to Suitland High School for the ceremony/announcement from WR Taivon Jacobs. He's picking between Ohio State and the #Terps.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1239 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 6, 2013 3:52 pm

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports

Suitland speedster Taivon Jacobs just announced he's switched his commitment from #Buckeyes to #Terps.

With Stefon Diggs, Deon Long, Marcus Leak, Taivon Jacobs & others, #Terps suddenly have one of the most explosive WR corps in the #ACC. #NSD
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1240 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:10 pm

As expected. Big-time get. RT@Mr_KevinJones Frienship's Yannick Ngakoue, the #4 outside linebacker in the country, has committed to Maryland

Return to Washington Wizards