Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1241 » by MDStar » Wed Feb 6, 2013 4:55 pm

Awesome news!
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
MDStar
Senior
And1: 94

Post#1242 » by MDStar » Wed Feb 6, 2013 5:07 pm

Maryland's doing big things today!

@insidemdsports: Jacquille Veii picks #Terps over Nebraska and Iowa. Another speedster. U-Md. goes 3 for 3 on uncommitted prospects on #NSD.
Just let the young boys play! It's truly the only hope at this point.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,853

Post#1243 » by Wizardspride » Wed Feb 6, 2013 6:47 pm

Jakob Engelke ‏@Jakob_Engelke

#Terps return game got scary good today. Will Likely, Jacquille Veii, DeAndre Lane and Taivon Jacobs all have crazy speed and join Diggs.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#1244 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2013 10:12 pm

Wizardspride wrote:Mike Locksley.......

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rec ... _blog.html

Suitland WR Taivon Jacobs to decide between Ohio State, Maryland on National Signing Day

On the eve of National Signing Day, Suitland senior Taivon Jacobs, a two-time All-Met wide receiver, said in a phone interview he will decide between Ohio State and Maryland during a ceremony at his school on Wednesday at 10 a.m.

Jacobs orally committed to Ohio State in July, but he said he has been reconsidering that decision in recent weeks for a variety of factors, including his desire to be close to his one-year-old daughter, Bailey.

“I’ve discussed it over with my family,” Jacobs said. “I want to make the best choice for me. I have a child. I want to make sure I’m a great father and a great player.”

Also a standout sprinter on the track, Jacobs said both schools have outlined similar plans for him football-wise. At either place, he said he would play wide receiver and contribute on special teams.

Jacobs’ older brother, Levern, is a rising sophomore wide receiver for the Terrapins, and Jacobs said his brother has been helpful as he moves toward a decision.

“He talks to me like he’s not a Maryland player,” Jacobs said. “He gives me advice like a big brother should. He told me to look at the pros and the cons and whatever weighs out best, that’s where I should go.”

Jacobs said he would be able to run track at both schools, as well. When the senior was originally deciding where to give an oral commitment the future of Maryland’s men’s track team was in doubt, but it has since been saved from the list of programs eliminated by the school.

Wizardspride, this gives an answer to Ruz. Maryland not only has a football team, but they're winning over the hearts and minds of the best local talent.

I don't know anything about Jacobs but if the Terps got him from potentially #1 OSU, that says it all. His brother giving the endorsement says there is an optimism within the program. The family sending two of their sons to play at the one program speaks volumes for Locksley and Randy Edsall.

Talvon Jacobs is a good signing!
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1245 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2013 10:12 pm

Wizardspride wrote:
Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports

As expected. Big-time get. RT@Mr_KevinJones Frienship's Yannick Ngakoue, the #4 outside linebacker in the country, has committed to Maryland

To de-commit but stick with the Terps is huge!
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#1246 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Feb 6, 2013 10:18 pm

Wizardspride wrote:

#Terps return game got scary good today. Will Likely, Jacquille Veii, DeAndre Lane and Taivon Jacobs all have crazy speed and join Diggs.

Makes me wonder if seeing Vernon Davis and Torrey Smith in the Super Bowl didn't boost recruiting efforts.
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1247 » by Wizardspride » Thu Feb 7, 2013 1:46 am

President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1248 » by Wizardspride » Thu Feb 7, 2013 5:18 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:

Makes me wonder if seeing Vernon Davis and Torrey Smith in the Super Bowl didn't boost recruiting efforts.

I think this was primarily Edsall/Locksley's work on the recruiting trail.
Higga
Lead Assistant
And1: 831

Post#1249 » by Higga » Thu Feb 7, 2013 7:15 pm

Now they just need to recruit a LB who can throw.
Eric Maynor is the worst basketball player I've ever seen.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1250 » by Wizardspride » Fri Feb 8, 2013 4:19 pm

MEET THE RECRUIT: DEON LONG

Commitment Date: August 16, 2012

Hometown: Washington, D.C.
High School: Paul L. Dunbar High School
Junior College: Iowa Western Community College
Other Colleges: West Virginia, New Mexico
Height: 6’1″
Weight: 205 lbs.

ESPN Rank: N/A, 4-star WR
Scout.com Rank: N/A, 3-star WR
Rivals Rank: N/A, 5-star WR
247Sports Rank: #2 JUCO WR, 4-star

40 time: 4.30 secs. (Multiple sources)

Other Offers: Florida, Illinois, Nebraska

Deon Long has been a lot of different places. Coming out of high school, he committed to West Virginia. He never played there, and moved on to Hargrave Military Academy. From there, he attended New Mexico. He played one season with the Lobos before moving on to Iowa Western Community College. After that, he committed to Maryland as the first 5-star junior college recruit since Cam Newton.

Long has a very impressive set of skills. He runs a 4.3 40-yard dash, so he has blazing speed. But he also has the hands of a possession receiver. He really has the best of both worlds, and has impressed college scouts ever since he graduated from Dunbar High School in 2008. When Rivals recruiting analyst Adam Friedman spoke to Baltimore Sports and Life about Long, he explained that one of the reasons he’s moved around so much is that he has struggled to feel at home in one place. Being close to home and close to his family should help with that, and the Terps definitely hope he sticks around for his final two years of college. Rivals recruiting analyst Mike Farrell projects that Deon Long will be drafted in the 1st round of the 2015 NFL Draft.

Deon Long and Stefon Diggs will be a truly lethal combination for the Terps. When asked how teams will stop both of them, Long simply replied, “They won’t.” It will certainly be tough on opposing teams, and even if they can shut one or both of them down, the Terps have enough talent at receiver to exploit that. Marcus Leak, who served as the Terps’ #2 receiver last season until he tore his ACL in the game against N.C. State, should see the field a lot as well next season. While Long and Diggs will be the two starters, expect offensive coordinator Mike Locksley (who coached Long at New Mexico) to use a lot of 3-wide sets and go to more of a spread offense due to the amount of talent at wide receiver.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1251 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:35 am

Wow! Grats Terps. Thank you Coach K for not pressuring Maryland's guards in the backcourt. Is there any doubt that Duke would have won by double figures if they had? Duke has 4 guards that are built for pressuring the ball, and MD had no ball-handlers. Again, thanks Coach K.

Duke's use of the flop has got to be stopped. That's sickening basketball, and the officials need to stop giving them those calls.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,416

Post#1252 » by mhd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:44 am

College-Bball stinks. The quality of play is complete garbage. I honestly don't think a single team in the top 25 could beat a team in the top 25 12 years ago.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,954

Post#1253 » by FAH1223 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:47 am

Ruzious wrote:Wow! Grats Terps. Thank you Coach K for not pressuring Maryland's guards in the backcourt. Is there any doubt that Duke would have won by double figures if they had? Duke has 4 guards that are built for pressuring the ball, and MD had no ball-handlers. Again, thanks Coach K.

Duke's use of the flop has got to be stopped. That's sickening basketball, and the officials need to stop giving them those calls.

Yeah, I was surprised Duke didn't do that. At the same time, Plumlee and the other bigs could not guard Len. Duke got thoroughly out rebounded. Terps should have went to Len down on every posession. He needs to shoot more.

Good W despite the 26 turnovers. Hopefully this will springboard them to get above .500 in conference play.

This is also the last time Duke will probably play in College Park as well.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1254 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:58 am

Good riddance to Duke and Coach K. He should have kept his mouth shut about Maryland leaving the ACC - or at least not be dishonest about it with his "middle of the ACC" bs. My preference would have been to stay in the ACC, but there's no getting around the fact that Maryland was always treated like an outsider by the Carolina schools in the ACC.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
DMVleGeND
Sixth Man
And1: 194

Post#1255 » by DMVleGeND » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:03 am

Ruzious wrote:Wow! Grats Terps. Thank you Coach K for not pressuring Maryland's guards in the backcourt. Is there any doubt that Duke would have won by double figures if they had? Duke has 4 guards that are built for pressuring the ball, and MD had no ball-handlers. Again, thanks Coach K.

Was thinking the same thing. If Duke just ran a fullcourt press, they would've won by 10+.
Formerly known as 7-day Dray
RealGM

Post#1256 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:08 am

+1

Between the flops and Doris Burke's best Dick Vitale (Duke Vitale) impersonation, this game drove me nuts. I was screaming at the television all game. Doris Burke was so sickening I had to turn the volume down. She rooted so hard for Duke you'd think she was an alumnus of Duke.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1257 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:12 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:

+1

Between the flops and Doris Burke's best Dick Vitale (Duke Vitale) impersonation, this game drove me nuts. I was screaming at the television all game. Doris Burke was so sickening I had to turn the volume down. She rooted so hard for Duke you'd think she was an alumnus of Duke.

I know, right? But any woman who gets as passionate about basketball as she does - I give a pass.
RealGM

Post#1258 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:12 am

Maryland would be dangerous if they just had one good PG. They destroyed Duke on the boards today.

Len had his best game in quite a while. I was really impressed with his defense on Plumlee. His FTs look so good that I can see Alex being a good pick-and-pop big at the next level. Also, Len caught the ball well including one on the run where he laid it in.

Overall, however, I was most impressed with Seth Curry. He's much better than I realized.
Bye bye Beal.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1259 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:15 am

DMVleGeND wrote:

Was thinking the same thing. If Duke just ran a fullcourt press, they would've won by 10+.

Yeah, we would have set a record for turnovers. We had 25 without them doing much. You and I could have forced Seth Allen into more to's.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,416

Post#1260 » by mhd » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:16 am

Len showed why he's a top 5 prospect. He'd have much better numbers if he had a PG. I'd have no problem taking Len if he were available.

Return to Washington Wizards