ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#21 » by P'Oed » Sun Sep 7, 2008 4:11 am

lupin wrote:Geez, the Terps are getting spanked by East Middle Tennessee St or whatever. Damn, it sucks to be a DC-metro sports fan these days.

took the words right out of my mouth. Redskins, Terps, Wizards...it's all the same crap. It's at a point where it's just too frustrating to even sit through. Why torture yourself?
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#22 » by Scabs304 » Sun Sep 7, 2008 3:14 pm

Okay it's this simple even though it is not a great knowledge to have. Jordan Steffy is are best QB as Chris Turner proved this weekend. I could see Friedgen and Williams both being gone after this year and that makes me sad, but something has to be done to change this putrid mediocrity..
I am Scabs.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,775

Post#23 » by Rafael122 » Sun Sep 7, 2008 3:26 pm

Recruit better. Maryland is a big D-1 school. Not big like USC or Texas or whatever, but bigger than a mid-major. Fridge and Gary Williams don't recruit enough.

Fridge hasn't had a good QB since he's been coach at Maryland. If it means that you stop recruiting kids at other positions to get one very good QB, so be it.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#24 » by Scabs304 » Sun Sep 7, 2008 4:25 pm

Fridge actually had some pretty decent QB's. No 1st stringer in the NFL caliber, but two 2nd 3rd stringers still in the NFL.

Agreed both Maryland programs main issues have been in the poor recruiting and will be the demise for both coaches. Are they good coaches.... YES. Recruiters... NO. Niether has really ever gotten the greatest rectuits. There has been one top recruiting class for Williams in the NCM, Garrison (most overated one too) class. Fridge is lucky to break the top 20 which is just not going to get it done in ACC and Division 1 football.
I am Scabs.
Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,865

Post#25 » by Wizardspride » Sun Sep 7, 2008 4:34 pm

I'll give Friedgen a little credit. This years freshman class will be very good.

But it is a shame that MD has all this speed at WR and don't seem to have the man to consistently get them the ball.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#26 » by lupin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:40 am

Fear the turtle. Heh. At least , sleepy teams from the west coast should.

:)
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,524

Post#27 » by closg00 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:26 pm

Twofer post:

The Terps win yesterday was sweet, sure, we took advantage and it was 9AM for them, but I'll take it.

Looks like Juan Dixon is done in the NBA, as he has received no offers to-date, and probably won't.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#28 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:20 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkmmU4o1IrLQYxt66d0Xv0W8vLYF?slug=ap-cskamoscow-magic&prov=ap&type=lgns

Howard leads Magic past CSKA Moscow in exhibition ............. Former Maryland star Terence Morris led CSKA with 16 points

Who knew Terrence Morris was still around?

I saw him toiling in the D leaguefor the now-defunct Columbus (GA) River Dragons a few years back, but apparently he's had a lot of success in Europe. I thought that was the end for him, cuz he wasn't playing much even there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terence_Morris

Morris began the 2006-07 season unaffiliated to a team, but in December of 2006, he signed with Hapoel Jerusalem until the end of the season. With Hapoel he won an Israeli State Cup championship. On June 13, 2007, he signed with the Euroleague club Maccabi Tel Aviv.[3]

On May 3, 2008, Morris won a place in the 2007-08 All-Euroleague First team, alongside 4 other European stars

On looking up Morris, came across a great "Where are they Now?" link for all former Terps:

http://mdturtle.blogspot.com/search?q=terence+morris

Dude's even got Andre Collins (who had to get away from Gary to have major D-1 success) in there as being an MVP of one Italian League ...

More on Morris from mdturtle.blogsport.com :

"A player of Morris's caliber, just could not avoid the area of CSKA interest," CSKA CEO Andrei Vatutin said of the signings. "Last season demonstrated how valuable he is as a player, and we could see it during Final Four in Madrid… It is not so easy to earn All-Euroleague Team selection. I am very happy that CSKA managed to win the battle for this player against the biggest European clubs. It is very important that Terence gladly responded to CSKA’s proposal and is ready to meet our requirements."
Bye bye Beal.
RealGM

Post#29 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:09 pm

DX had this scouting report on Morris prior to him signing with CSKA:

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ter ... rris-3665/

The former 2001 2nd round draft pick of the Atlanta Hawks has revived his career over the past two seasons in Israel, going from sitting at home for an extended period without a job to possibly being the most coveted American big man on this summer’s free agent market. He’s a smart, athletic, and fairly skilled power forward who rebounds extremely well, can hit a spot-up 3-pointer, and is a presence in the paint defensively—all things that are in very short supply when you are talking about long 6-9 guys with great intangibles

Morris is already what Wiz fans are hoping Dominic McGuire will become. I'd venture to say he'd be a better sub off then bench than Darius Songaila.
Bye bye Beal.
closg00
RealGM

Post#30 » by closg00 » Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:24 pm

CCJ - Yeah, I knew about Morris because I'm always checking that Terp site for news for former Terps.

As an aside, I fail to understand why NBA GM's aren't giving end of roster/back-up spots to players like Morris, Langdon & Pops who have been thriving overseas. God knows we could use a solid, established player like Morris on our squad.....Then again, he is now priced out of our range. But some of these guys could have been had at reasonable salaries like what Mason received.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#31 » by Scabs304 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:12 pm

So Maryland is only going to win against ranked opponents it seems. Sorry the last two years Maryland football has been past aggravating. Jekyl and Hyde football at it's finest.
I am Scabs.
RealGM

Post#32 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:43 am

The loss to Middle Tennessee stings but I think Virginia's just a better team than Maryland.

Today the Cavailiers beat UNC, a ranked team.

What's crazy is Maryland got shut out by U Va but then the Terps shut out a good Wake Forest team. I was thinking the Terps are not that good even though the squeeked by Clemson. However, shutting out the Deacons convincingly says otherwise.

Maybe, Maryland's pretty good after all. A 5-2 record speaks for itself. All they need is a couple ACC wins and they're in some kind of bowl game.
Bye bye Beal.
southnc
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#33 » by southnc » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:10 am

It's hard to gage this year's football team. Sometimes they show-up and some times they look like a high school team.

Regardless, they are currently tied for 1st in the ACC conference.

If they can put together some consistency, they are bowl bound.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#34 » by Scabs304 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:19 pm

Well they are bowl bound now it all depends on if they show up fore more than one game down the stretch. Sorry Virginia is not a better team UNC just lsot Tate and didn't show up and gave the game away in the final 47 seconds by kneeling it out instead of going for the win to end the game. Virginia got beat by Duke, because that is where they are at when they are not at home. Virginia needs the backing of the homecrowd to beat any thing resembling a team. Maryland on the other hand just show up to random games and just mail it in on others. I was glad to see them get the ball in Heyward-Bey's direction yesterday it was much needed.
I am Scabs.
southnc
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#35 » by southnc » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:38 am

Nice win for the Terps football team in the rain today over NC State: 27-24.

With both Wake Forest & Boston College losing, the Terps are now tied with just one other team for 1st in the ACC: Florida State. They are also officially bowl eligible.

Let's hope they keep winning.
Halcyon
Veteran
And1: 479

Post#36 » by Halcyon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:07 pm

Despite the rain and cold winds, it was a fun game to be at.
Scabs304
General Manager

Post#37 » by Scabs304 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:46 pm

Still think the Terps needed to really win this game instead of eaking it out. Bowl eligable now just what bowl will it be?
I am Scabs.
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#38 » by lupin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:43 pm

They're #25 in the AP, tho.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
closg00
RealGM

Post#39 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 1, 2008 1:06 pm

closg00
RealGM

Post#40 » by closg00 » Sat Nov 8, 2008 2:28 pm

International journeyman John Gilchrist is back in the D-League (Colorado)

Return to Washington Wizards