Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

Wizardspride
RealGM
And1: 9,857

Re: Official Maryland Terps Thread 2.0 

Post#1661 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:19 pm

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2014/07/22 ... ver-group/

Just How Deep Is Maryland’s Receiver Group?

The Maryland football program has high expectations as they enter their first season in the Big Ten. The ACC days are long gone and it’s time for the Terrapins to look towards a very bright future.

One of Maryland’s most constantly talked-about positions is wide receiver and for good reason. Former Good Counsel star Stefon Diggs decided to start the Stay Home Movement, and commit to Maryland over offers from just about every major school in the country. Diggs had a monster freshman campaign in which he caught 54 passes for 848 yards (15.7 yards-per-catch) and six touchdowns.

If Diggs wasn’t enough firepower for the Terps, Maryland was able to land talented wideout Deon Long from the JUCO ranks (Iowa Western Community College). Before suffering a season-ending leg injury, Long grabbed 32 balls for 489 yards (15.3 yards-per-catch) and a touchdown.

When the Terps lost their top two dynamic wideouts, the next-man-up effect set in. Obviously, fans didn’t know what to expect with Levern Jacobs, Nigel King, and Amba Etta-Tawo being the top three options at the position. As the season progressed, we found out just how good these guys can be.
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1662 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:48 pm

http://btn.com/2014/07/23/btn-adds-mary ... nt-roster/

BTN adds Maryland experts to talent roster

CHICAGO – BTN is welcoming the University of Maryland to the conference in a B1G way, adding Maryland experts to its on-air roster and planning a full day of programming dedicated to Maryland Athletics.

Joining BTN’s on-air roster are Scott McBrien, a former Maryland quarterback, and Shawne Merriman, a former Maryland linebacker, 2005 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year and three-time NFL Pro Bowl selection. McBrien will serve as a game analyst and Merriman will be a studio analyst.

Returning to BTN as a studio analyst is Gary Williams, coach of the 2002 NCAA champion basketball team and 2014 College Basketball Hall of Fame inductee. New to the team are longtime ACC announcer Dan Bonner and Drew Nicholas, a member of the 2002 National Champion Terrapin basketball team. Nicholas will be studio analysts while Bonner will be a game analyst. Additionally, former Maryland basketball player Christy Winters-Scott will serve as both a studio and game analyst for women’s basketball.

New play-by-play announcers will include Joe Beninati, the voice of the Washington Capitals (football, lacrosse); Dave Johnson, voice of the Washington Wizards and DC United (soccer); and Frank Hanrahan, voice of the Washington Mystics and morning anchor on WNEW Radio (football sideline, women’s basketball).
President Trump told two senior Russian officials in a 2017 Oval Office meeting that he was unconcerned about Moscow’s interference in the 2016 U.S. presidential election because the United States did the same in other countries
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1663 » by Wizardspride » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:02 pm

Click on the link to read the rest.

http://maryland.247sports.com/Article/M ... y-29919087

One on One Coverage: Stefon Diggs

With all of the injuries last season, is staying healthy something that concerns you about this year?

Diggs: "That's a part of football. Things happen. You just have to take them in stride. Things are never going to go exactly how you planned. Whatever's thrown at you, you've got to tackle it."

Which teammates impressed you during seven-on-sevens?

Diggs: "They all looked good. Everybody's putting in the work ... I look forward to going into the season and putting the pads on."

What have your teammates been saying this summer?

Diggs: "A lot of hard work. Different D-line coach. They're happy, they say they love him back there and they can't wait to get to work."

Did anyone individually impress you?

Diggs: Yannick [Ngakoue]. He's been working on his weight, his speed. I think he's really going to be something special this year.

"When you come in raw like that, you've got to conform to the system and show that you can be coach-able. He just took it in stride and has become a great student and athlete. I've seen him take strides and I really think he's going to be something special this year, not only because of his ability but because he's putting in the work."

Do you mentor the younger receivers?

Diggs: "I try to teach everybody that's young coming in, or somebody that's been there for a while. I concentrate a lot on Taivon Jacobs, a younger guy that has great ability, great speed and good hands. He will be something special in the near future. So I take everybody under my wings and try to show them. If they want to learn from me, I'll tell them everything they need to know.

"I'll tell you right now, that boy can blow with the wind, now. He's probably one of the fastest players I've ever seen in person. Guaranteed 4.3 [40-yard dash] guy and I think y'all will know his name before his time's up at the University of Maryland."
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1664 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:08 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terp ... 2064.story

Maryland's highly touted freshmen will have to earn starting jobs on O-line, Edsall says

CHICAGO —
Damian Prince is the big name. He is the high profile five-star recruit, the prized member of Maryland’s recruiting class this year whom analysts have projected as a future NFL offensive lineman.

Likewise, Derwin Gray is another big-time incoming freshman with the size (6 feet 5, 300 pounds) and the strength to develop into a high-level starting right tackle.

But neither will be handed a starting job.

Maryland coach Randy Edsall made that clear Tuesday.

The offensive line was an area of weakness for the Terps last season, but Edsall has been happy with the progress the returning linemen have made under new offensive line coach Greg Studrawa.

“When you look at [Prince and Gray] off the film, we thought and still feel they’re very good players. … But we don’t have to force-feed them,” Edsall said at Big Ten media days. “There’s guys in front of them that have experience, that have played and won games for us, so those guys are going to have to go in and beat guys out because I’ve got guys that I know and have played at this level and have helped us win.

“Those guys, we still have to see what they can do and how they can pick everything up in practice and in scrimmages to see if they’re going to be better.”

Prince will compete with starter Michael Dunn at left tackle, while Gray will go against Ryan Doyle at right tackle
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1665 » by Wizardspride » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:11 pm

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... e-football

Best wide receiver tandems in college football

Big Ten

Maryland: Stefon Diggs and Deon Long. Weirdly, both suffered broken legs in the Terps' seventh game last season, and the passing attack -- not exactly a scintillating one anyway -- suffered without them. They are back this season, and Terps coach Randy Edsall specifically mentioned Diggs as being ready to go during Monday's Big Ten Media Day festivities. Diggs (6-0, 190), a junior, is electrifying with the ball in his hands: as a receiver, on returns and on jet sweeps. He can get deep, and he also can take a slant route and turn it into a 60-yard gain. The well-traveled Long (6-0, 185) -- he signed with West Virginia out of high school but never played a down, moved on to New Mexico, then to Iowa Western CC before ending up at Maryland -- is a solid No. 2 guy behind Diggs. Long, a senior, has good speed and can be a deep threat.

Last time a Big Ten wide receiver duo was selected in the same draft: Michigan State had two wide receivers taken in the 2012 draft -- fourth-rounderKeshawn Martin and sixth-rounder B.J. Cunningham
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1666 » by Ruzious » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:49 pm

Wizardspride wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/490972857875193856[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/490970389065912320[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/490972078045007872[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/490968805997154306[/tweet]

Good stuff, WP. Imagine the depth they'd have if Seth Allen didn't foolishly decide to transfer. They could have had a great team set up for next season. Instead, they're going to struggle with too many freshmen. They're going to be fun to watch, but we need to be patient. Seth will have to sit out the year and probably realize he left the perfect opportunity for him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1667 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:54 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GhafirTheTurtle/status/494488795585462272[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/GhafirTheTurtle/status/494576958727282689[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/umterps/status/494590945657389056[/tweet]
80sballboy
RealGM
And1: 5,650

Post#1668 » by 80sballboy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:49 am

Ruzious wrote:
Wizardspride wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/490972857875193856[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/490970389065912320[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/490972078045007872[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/490968805997154306[/tweet]

Good stuff, WP. Imagine the depth they'd have if Seth Allen didn't foolishly decide to transfer. They could have had a great team set up for next season. Instead, they're going to struggle with too many freshmen. They're going to be fun to watch, but we need to be patient. Seth will have to sit out the year and probably realize he left the perfect opportunity for him.

Layman and Smotryz is not a good defensive fit. Also not sure it's a good offensive fit unless Cekovsky has a semblance of a post game. At least they'll have some rim protectors assuming Trayvon Reed recovers from his foot injury. I think Turge needs to go with best 5 no matter if it's freshmen or upperclassmen.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1669 » by Wizardspride » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:21 pm

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terp ... 3255.story

Maryland receiver Taivon Jacobs is 'a young guy to keep an eye out for'

CHICAGO -- As Stefon Diggs tells it, Taivon Jacobs has that special kind of speed.
Maryland has other fast players, whether it be Diggs or fellow starting wide receiver Deon Long. But Jacobs is apparently in a class by himself.

“He’s the fastest human I’ve ever seen run,” Diggs said of Jacobs, a redshirt freshman wide receiver. “He’s very talented. He works hard. … And I’m going to tell you now, it’s a name you want to know early because you will hear a lot from Taivon Jacobs.”

Jacobs, the younger brother of Maryland receiver Levern Jacobs, was rated as a four-star recruit by ESPN when he signed with the Terps out of Suitland High last year.

He redshirted last fall but will have a chance to compete for a role this season.
“I’m sure [offensive coordinator Mike] Locksley and coach [Randy] Edsall will figure out some way to get the ball in his hands at some point during the season,” said cornerback Jeremiah Johnson, who also graduated from Suitland.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1670 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:07 pm

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/status/495253091307241473[/tweet]
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1671 » by Ruzious » Fri Aug 1, 2014 5:45 pm

Per the Sun, he is refused admission into Md because he allegedly committed 2nd degree assault on 2 people - including a police officer. It makes you wonder about the quality of people the basketball program has been recruiting since Turgeon and Under Armour took over.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#1672 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Fri Aug 1, 2014 8:19 pm

From the Sun article, Reed stole $ 5.81 worth of Reeses Cups and Twix Ice Cream from 7 Eleven. He resisted arrest outside the store. Way to ruin a free ride to college and years of free athletic training towards a pro career!

Reed is already 19, and had finished a year of prep school. He is IMO an imbecile just for thinking at his height he could shoplift unnoticed...

What is really sad about this is that the cops who caught him could have used discretion. If I were a cop and caught him he would have got a lecture and his coach would have had to get him. (We are talking about a big kid who stole candy. Not Scar Face!) I would have asked the store manager to be lenient--and even suggested something like having Reed wash windows for a week. But I don't know if Reed is a good kid. Kind of sounds the opposite.

If Reed had not played crazy or like he didn't know it was going on he might have gotten away with this with nothing but a slap on the wrist. Instead he allegedly slapped the cop on the wrist. If that kid I had been cool and fessed up and been charming about it this might have ended differently. As it is he loses a scholarship and faces felony charges.

Also, if he had already enrolled at Maryland this would've ended differently

Sent from my SGH-M919 using RealGM Forums mobile app
Bye bye Beal.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1673 » by Wizardspride » Fri Aug 1, 2014 9:56 pm

http://www.testudotimes.com/2014/8/1/59 ... d-transfer

Maryland junior WR Nigel King transferring, per report

Junior wide receiver Nigel King will transfer from Maryland after being granted his release by the program, Matt Zenitz of the Baltimore Sun is reporting.

The move isn't terribly surprising, considering Maryland's loaded wide receiving unit. Despite catching a team-high four touchdowns in 2013, he was unable to grab a starting job on the preseason depth chart, saddled behind Deon Long at one of the two outside receiver positions. Fellow North Carolinian Marcus Leak, returning from a year away from the school, had claimed the other starting outside job, with Stefon Diggs firmly implanted at the sslot.

After catching nine passes for 125 yards and a touchdown as a freshman in 2012, King saw his playing time increase with Leak's absence and caught 33 passes for 450 yards last season. He was likely going to battle with speedster Amba Etta-Tawo, four-star recruit Juwann Winfree and growing urban legend Taivon Jacobs for playing time at the outside, and will likely find a better opportunity at another school.

While more weapons is obviously better, this isn't a huge on-field loss for the Terrapins. King may have won a starting job as a senior, but the amount of talent they have at the position allows for (and likely causes) a few cases of attrition.

King was a highly-touted recruit coming out of high school, choosing the Terps over offers from LSU, South Carolina and North Carolina, among others.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1674 » by 80sballboy » Sat Aug 2, 2014 2:40 am

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:From the Sun article, Reed stole $ 5.81 worth of Reeses Cups and Twix Ice Cream from 7 Eleven. He resisted arrest outside the store. Way to ruin a free ride to college and years of free athletic training towards a pro career!

Reed is already 19, and had finished a year of prep school. He is IMO an imbecile just for thinking at his height he could shoplift unnoticed...

What is really sad about this is that the cops who caught him could have used discretion. If I were a cop and caught him he would have got a lecture and his coach would have had to get him. (We are talking about a big kid who stole candy. Not Scar Face!) I would have asked the store manager to be lenient--and even suggested something like having Reed wash windows for a week. But I don't know if Reed is a good kid. Kind of sounds the opposite.

If Reed had not played crazy or like he didn't know it was going on he might have gotten away with this with nothing but a slap on the wrist. Instead he allegedly slapped the cop on the wrist. If that kid I had been cool and fessed up and been charming about it this might have ended differently. As it is he loses a scholarship and faces felony charges.

All I know is that Turge is a horrible judge of character. Hard to put a good spin on this one aside from the fact that he probably would have f-ed up in College Park.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1675 » by Ruzious » Sat Aug 2, 2014 3:30 pm

80sballboy wrote:
Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:From the Sun article, Reed stole $ 5.81 worth of Reeses Cups and Twix Ice Cream from 7 Eleven. He resisted arrest outside the store. Way to ruin a free ride to college and years of free athletic training towards a pro career!

All I know is that Turge is a horrible judge of character. Hard to put a good spin on this one aside from the fact that he probably would have f-ed up in College Park.

Maybe he didn't realize being 7'1 makes him just a bit conspicuous - even when stealing Twix ice cream cones at a Seven Eleven. We are probably better off losing this clown now than watching him under-achieve for the basketball team. With transfer after transfer and now this... it's looking like this is Turgeon's last year. I hope he turns it around.
80sballboy
RealGM

Post#1676 » by 80sballboy » Sat Aug 2, 2014 10:45 pm

Ruzious wrote:
80sballboy wrote:

Maybe he didn't realize being 7'1 makes him just a bit conspicuous - even when stealing Twix ice cream cones at a Seven Eleven. We are probably better off losing this clown now than watching him under-achieve for the basketball team. With transfer after transfer and now this... it's looking like this is Turgeon's last year. I hope he turns it around.

Apparently he was never going to make the grade anyway. This just put the nail in the coffin. He needs to go juco and get his life in order. Turge obviously took a chance on a big man he compared to Dikembe Mutombo.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1677 » by Wizardspride » Sun Aug 3, 2014 6:03 pm

Click on the link to read the rest
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/terp ... 5901.story

Joe Theismann raves about Terps' Class of 2015 QB commit Gage Shaffer

Joe Theismann has certain characteristics he looks for when evaluating any quarterback. Size. Arm strength. Accuracy. The ability to throw on the run. There are others.

To Theismann, Maryland's Class of 2015 quarterback commit, Gage Shaffer from Ridgeley (W.Va.), has a lot of those characteristics.

"He’s one of most impressive young men I've seen,” said Theismann, who played quarterback for the Washington Redskins from 1974-85 and has been an NFL analyst 29 years since retiring.

Granted, Theismann has never seen Shaffer play in person. The extent of Theismann’s scouting is two videos on YouTube.

But one of the clips is of Shaffer at a camp that shows both good and bad throws. The other was a highlight video, which Theismann understands. “But it’s not like it was just two minutes long,” Theismann said.

"It was impressive,” Theismann said. “He really is. I looked at both videos twice because it was just down right fun watching him throw the football.”

Rivals.com rates Shaffer as just a two-star recruit. ESPN ranks him as just a three-star, although ESPN national recruiting director Tom Luginbill did say during a phone interview that Shaffer is a prospect he likes a lot.

However, Theismann thinks Shaffer, who is listed at 6 feet 7, 210 pounds, is a better prospect than either ranking suggests.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1678 » by Wizardspride » Sun Aug 3, 2014 6:11 pm

This is a good read.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/ot ... story.html

Kristi Toliver's career speaks volumes about life as a women’s basketball player

On May 6, in an office at the Department of Domestic Affairs in Bratislava,Kristi Toliver — Virginia-born, Maryland-educated, as American as jazz — swallowed hard, signed some documents and swore on her “honor and conscience” to be a faithful and upstanding citizen of the Slovak Republic. A process that had been more than a year in the making was completed in a day and a half. Soon she was in possession of a Slovak passport, now a dual U.S.-Slovak citizen. She was, at least for basketball purposes, a European.

As she boarded her flight back to the United States, she was the same Kristi, but everything felt different. Behind her was another winter-spring season of Russian professional ball; ahead was another summer season with the Los Angeles Sparks of the WNBA .

Elite women’s basketball players are used to serving two masters — roughly 75 percent of players in the WNBA play overseas during the league’s offseason — but now, for Toliver, there would be a third: the Slovak national team. That was part of the deal for the passport.

Navigating the summer of 2014, as she toggled between Los Angeles and Bratislava, would take all the stamina that Toliver, 27, could muster. “It’s getting to the point where I just don’t want to hit complete burnout,” she said.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1679 » by Wizardspride » Mon Aug 4, 2014 1:14 pm

Click on the link to read the rest,
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/cj ... story.html

C.J. Brown is both the face of Maryland football, and the face of overcoming adversity

C.J. Brown was just another intern at Under Armour’s Baltimore offices this summer, a 22-year-old college kid in charge of flow charts and statistic reports at the apparel giant.

In the past three months, he met with representatives from Nike, Adidas and Patagonia as part of the supply operations team, preparing metrics research on the competitors. Last week, he helped present a final project to Under Armour executives, making suggestions on how the company might grow.

“I’m treated like a regular teammate. It’s what they call their employees,” Brown said.

It was one last chance for Brown to perform under pressure before the job ended, to unveil a body of work, and it wasn’t all that different from what he faces on the football field as Maryland’s quarterback this fall. The season will be a final presentation of sorts for Brown, a sixth-year quarterback who has been through a mental and physical ringer. He has witnessed seismic shifts within the Terrapins’ football program, too, maybe more than anyone else — and he hopes that kind of life experience will give him the juice to begin a special final season when training camp opens Monday.
Wizardspride
RealGM

Post#1680 » by Wizardspride » Mon Aug 4, 2014 6:45 pm

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... -foes-2014

Big Ten Coaches Talk Anonymously About Conference Foes for 2014

Maryland

Opposing coaches size up the Terrapins:

“An explosive team that has tools at positions that can and should make a significant impact for them.” …

“Their issues are the best players are not all the time available or healthy. It was a scouting report factor to look at. They’ve had on and off the field issues with players leaving, which does not help.” …

“Stefon Diggs is as good as any skill player in the country. He is as good as advertised.” …

“Randy Edsall, despite what some say, is a good coach.” …

“Another important factor: Will recruiting hold up and can they keep the best players in state? That remains to be seen.” …

“Penn State with James Franklin will make things interesting along the 95 corridor and the beltway.”…

“The linebackers and the secondary groups were the best.” …

“Their quarterback, C.J. Brown, was a pretty good player. He is impressive.” …

“Mike Locksley is a really good football coach, their offensive coordinator.” …

“Their special teams are well coached schematically, that’s one thing we were impressed with.” …

“They aren’t overly impressive on the offensive and defensive lines. Just normal there. Nobody stood out.” …

“They didn’t have a really big time player except the quarterback when we played them. He was the best player on the team I thought.”…

Return to Washington Wizards