Wizfans Golf Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Wizfans Golf Thread 

Post#21 » by fishercob » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:55 am

Leapin' Lizard wrote:
FreeBalling wrote:Cheers all, I thought I'd get this thread going again.

So who's playing golf this year, I'd like meet some of you fans over a round of golf. I'm playing out of Laurel Hill G.C. in Lorton, VA. Great track, fast greens, slope 143 and 7011 yards.

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/golf/LaurelHill/

I'm open for playing any course. Anyone up for getting a teetime?

Laurel Hills is probably my favorite course in this area although Augustine in Stafford is also fantastic.

Unfortunately I spend most of my time at TPC Haines Point (Blue Course) due to the proximity to the house.

I played Augustine about a decade ago when I was too young to appreciate it. I'd love to get back on there.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
FreeBalling
Starter
And1: 218

Post#22 » by FreeBalling » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:17 pm

FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten
RIP Master Sergent Holt :usa:

The ultimate sacrifice http://taskforceomegainc.org/H061.html
fishercob
RealGM

Post#23 » by fishercob » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:43 pm

Bump for the impending turn in the weather. NWS reports that we're supposed to have a warmer than normal April and May!
— Steve Martin
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#24 » by FreeBalling » Sat Apr 6, 2013 8:29 pm

I see the golf thread is back, that must mean another year of chasing the birdies down. I'm over at 1757 this year trying out a new course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiiOqybRvsM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiiOqybRvsM[/youtube]

FINAL UPDATE
With full military honors, Master Sgt. James W Holt was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery today. May 15
You Are Not Forgotten

Liverbird
Senior
And1: 12

Post#25 » by Liverbird » Sun Apr 7, 2013 3:10 am

1757 has some wicked water - never play well there.

First round of the season at PB Dye tomorrow and Falls Road next Sunday. Prolly should of switched those around. For those that haven't played PB Dye - definitely worthwhile, beautiful course but for the greens...typical Dye....evil.
You'll Never Walk Alone
FreeBalling
Starter

Re: Masters week!!! 

Post#26 » by FreeBalling » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:21 am

It's Masters week. Who is your horse in the race?

I'm picking the guy NO DRIVER in his bag. However, he does have three three woods.

Phil at Krispy Kreme just after winning his 3rd green jacket.

FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

tontoz
RealGM
And1: 3,926

Post#27 » by tontoz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:06 pm

A 14 year old is playing in the Masters? Shot 73 in the first round? :o
"bulky agile perimeter bone crunch pick setting draymond green" WizD
fishercob
RealGM

Post#28 » by fishercob » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:10 pm

Had a super-coll experience last weekend. I was playing with my brother in law and he got a hole in one. I have never been that excited on a golf course and it wasn't even my shot!
— Steve Martin
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#29 » by pancakes3 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:42 pm

Wow. Nice. Also, that 14 year old made the cut, and Tiger nearly gets DQ'd
Bullets -> Wizards
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#30 » by FreeBalling » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:51 am

opps
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

tontoz
RealGM

Post#31 » by tontoz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Not a big fan of Laurel Hill. It is not really a walkable course and i dont like playing out of carts, especially when it is cartpath only. My cousin gets me out there a few times each year.

My home course Northwest Park in Silver Spring. it is tough enough to challenge good players from the back tees but is playable for lesser players from the forward tees. Easily walkable. Club championship is next weekend. I am a weak 1 hcp and i got my work cut out trying to win this thing. There are some good players that rarely play there but show up for the tourney.
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#32 » by FreeBalling » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:28 pm

tontoz wrote:Not a big fan of Laurel Hill. It is not really a walkable course and i dont like playing out of carts, especially when it is cartpath only. My cousin gets me out there a few times each year.

My home course Northwest Park in Silver Spring. it is tough enough to challenge good players from the back tees but is playable for lesser players from the forward tees. Easily walkable. Club championship is next weekend. I am a weak 1 hcp and i got my work cut out trying to win this thing. There are some good players that rarely play there but show up for the tourney.

Tontoz, you can walk at Laurel Hill. I play golf with a man who is 82 walks the course 4 to 5 times a week and he's a single digit player. He plays in about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

Should you ever want to play there I get a discount and can book tee times three weeks out. If you want to bring some friends down for an early weekend time. Just let me know, I do not have to play with my guests.

BTW - There are 122 bunkers with new sand from the Pub Link Championship in 2012. That was a 700,000 dollar project.

Good luck in your club championship
FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

tontoz
RealGM

Post#33 » by tontoz » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:25 pm

FreeBalling wrote:
tontoz wrote:Not a big fan of Laurel Hill. It is not really a walkable course and i dont like playing out of carts, especially when it is cartpath only. My cousin gets me out there a few times each year.

Tontoz, you can walk at Laurel Hill. I play golf with a man who is 82 walks the course 4 to 5 times a week and he's a single digit player. He plays in about 3 to 3 1/2 hours.

Should you ever want to play there I get a discount and can book tee times three weeks out. If you want to bring some friends down for an early weekend time. Just let me know, I do not have to play with my guests.

BTW - There are 122 bunkers with new sand from the Pub Link Championship in 2012. That was a 700,000 dollar project.

Good luck in your club championship

Thanks but i know someone who works there and can play for free at times lol, even on weekends.

I walked the course on Labor Day and it was a pain. There are huge waste areas that you have to walk around after you tee off, and there is a lot of distance between the greens and the tees. Even on that little par 3 11th the tee was on the right side and i had to walk backwards around the trees on the left to get to the green.

I was playing decently but started running out of gas (it was hot as hell on Labor Day) when i got to the 600 yard par 5 on the back. Not a fan of that hole. Bogeyed that hole and 17 for a 76 which is ok. been struggling this year with some physical issues.

I have had 73 from the blues a few times but can't seem to get below that. One day i was 2 under at the turn but then we got hit with a bad thunderstorm and had to wait it out. When we went back out i made a mess on the back nine. :banghead:
FreeBalling
Starter

Post#34 » by FreeBalling » Fri Apr 3, 2015 10:12 pm

Next week... The elite players from around the world will battle for the right to be #1 at the Masters.

Lowest score to win -18 that's 270 shots - Tiger Woods (1997)

Hi score to win +1 that's 289 shots - Jack Burk (1954) San Snead (1956), Zack Johnson (2007)

Most wins 6 - Jack Nicklaus (1963, 1965, 1966, 1972, 1975, 1986)
2nd place finishes 4 - Jack Nicklaus (1964, 1971, 1977, 1981)

Worst Score on One Hole in The Masters 13 shots - Tom Weiskopf, Hole 12 (par-3) :crazy:

Worst First Round By a Winner
75 - Craig Stadler, 1982
74 - Tiger Woods, 2005
74 - Mark O'Meara, 1998
74 - Jose Maria Olazabal, 1994
74 - Jack Nicklaus, 1986
74 - Jack Nicklaus, 1963
74 - Sam Snead, 1954
74 - Horton Smith, 1936

FINAL UPDATE
You Are Not Forgotten

fishercob
RealGM

Post#35 » by fishercob » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Bump for payitforward.

As I said elsewhere, I played Stonewall in Gainesville, VA yesterday. Nice public course with absolutely stunning views of Lake Manassas. They do an excellent job of making sure you can't see anything going on at RTJ next door. You wouldn't want those guys to have to get a whiff of public golfers. I didn't think it was a great value for $90. The greens were being aerated and there were several torn up spots around the course.

I have played University of Maryland twice in the past month-plus. The value is unbeatable -- $60 and the course is in fantastic shape. Also very convenient to my home in DC.

How often are others getting out these days? Handicaps, favorite courses, good/bad experiences, etc?
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#36 » by fishercob » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:16 pm

By the way, insomnia sucks. BUT waking up at 430 AM and realizing The Open is on live -- and it's not on Fox -- is bliss.
— Steve Martin
TheSecretWeapon
RealGM
And1: 877

Post#37 » by TheSecretWeapon » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:06 pm

I don't think I've gone golfing at all since I played in a charity's celebrity golf tournament...as a celebrity. I think that was 2003.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#38 » by dandridge 10 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:53 pm

fishercob wrote:Bump for payitforward.

As I said elsewhere, I played Stonewall in Gainesville, VA yesterday. Nice public course with absolutely stunning views of Lake Manassas. They do an excellent job of making sure you can't see anything going on at RTJ next door. You wouldn't want those guys to have to get a whiff of public golfers. I didn't think it was a great value for $90. The greens were being aerated and there were several torn up spots around the course.

I have played University of Maryland twice in the past month-plus. The value is unbeatable -- $60 and the course is in fantastic shape. Also very convenient to my home in DC.

How often are others getting out these days? Handicaps, favorite courses, good/bad experiences, etc?

Fish, you were close to my house when you played Stonewall. I like Stonewall and the conditions have always been good when I played there...sounds like you just hit it at the wrong time.

If you ever want to come back to my neck of the woods, I'd be happy to get you on my course, Dominion Valley. Its a great course and kept in terrific condition. Fairways are relatively easy to hit but all the greens are pretty protected with bunkers, environmental areas, etc. As one of the first members, I also have a couple of free rounds for guests every year.
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#39 » by dandridge 10 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:58 pm

BTW, i normally play my course when I play, but if I venture out, I love to play in the Frederick area. Whiskey Creek, PB Dye, Musket Ridge, and Worthington Manor are some of my favorites. If you want cheaper, Little Bennett, Clustered Spires, and Glade Valley are fun tracks.
Nigel Tufnel
Sophomore
And1: 76

Post#40 » by Nigel Tufnel » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:35 pm

I would also be up for a game sometime. I like the Fredrick courses too and Hampshire Greens, but I'm open to trying new places. I'm only about a 17 HC but still pretty fast.

Return to Washington Wizards