ImageImageImageImageImage

Armchair Coaching, Scouting, etc thread.

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Re: the amazingly stupid ed tapscott thread 

Post#141 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:30 pm

What's this now? Tappy stinks.....shocking.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#142 » by fishercob » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:34 pm

Boo on the ballboy throwing up an amazingly sucky thread with his second post.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#143 » by JWizmentality » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:36 pm

fishercob wrote:Boo on the ballboy throwing up an amazingly sucky thread with his second post.

I'd say he's on his way to greatness.
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#144 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 am

delete
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
WizarDynasty
Veteran
And1: 192

Post#145 » by WizarDynasty » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:25 am

I say he is smart for two reason. First off, every decent defensive team has their bigman push the man who is setting the pick on offense xo that he can't stop his momentum making pick and rolls far less effective. .
Not once have i ever see songalia, blatche, or jamison help out a small by pushing the big setting the pick further out that he wants to ...breaking up the timing on a pick and roll...and give our small e him extra momentum so he can't settle for a good pick. Pushing the big with your forearm before he sets a moving screen disrupts timing and gives our small time to recover...position so he can't set a good pick. This happens almost every single play and tapscott never instructs our bigs to this .
Finally Tapscott instructing McGee to play defense without using his forearms...is absolutely horrible.
Bringing in Ayers was a waste of time.
NOt only is Jamison unathletic...he is almost never paying attention when the ball is being passed. If you ever watch Jamsion replayed in slow motion, he is almost always causes the break down because he reacts almost a second late after after a pass is thrown. You never see jamison arrive at his man before the pass reaches his man. He doesn't even begin to move to his man out on perimeter until after he catches the ball. Never do you see jamison moving toward his man on defense when the ball is actually in the air. As soon as he is trying to recover, someone else has to leave their man to guard try and cover jamison getting beat.
Build your team with five shooters using Paul Pierce Form deeply bent hips and lower back arch at same time. before rising into shot. Elbow not pointing to the ground! } Avdija=young Paul Pierce
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Re: Dear Mr. Tapscott, This is how our lineup should be: 

Post#146 » by dlts20 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:26 am

Where does everyone keep getting that Dmac is playing the 2 from? Did you hear that during the game or somewhere else? or are you just assuming that because he's being more aggressive now? I ask because it still says that Caron is the starting SG and to me it still looks like he's playing the 2 on O. He's catching the ball behind the 3pt line on nearly every play and it just isnt him. He'll have 1 good game out of 10 and everyone thinks that he's back but the next game he sucks again. I love Dmac and he's playing well but I swear that I think Critt should start at the 1 or atleast NY at the 2. Anything to get Caron back at his normal spot because he sucks at the 2, plain & simple
JWizmentality
RealGM

Post#147 » by JWizmentality » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:50 am

dlts20 wrote:Where does everyone keep getting that Dmac is playing the 2 from? Did you hear that during the game or somewhere else? or are you just assuming that because he's being more aggressive now? I ask because it still says that Caron is the starting SG and to me it still looks like he's playing the 2 on O. He's catching the ball behind the 3pt line on nearly every play and it just isnt him. He'll have 1 good game out of 10 and everyone thinks that he's back but the next game he sucks again. I love Dmac and he's playing well but I swear that I think Critt should start at the 1 or atleast NY at the 2. Anything to get Caron back at his normal spot because he sucks at the 2, plain & simple

Welcome to the Wizboard.
GilArenas88
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#148 » by GilArenas88 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:40 pm

This is why Taps is a tool. In todays Washingtion Post Wizards Insider on E5 titled "Tapscott Says Lakers Can Provide Lessons."

Quote: "Even when the games is decided so to speak, and you see guys just going for their numbers, watch the way they move the ball and help their teammate. Thats something I want our young guys learn as they go along."

Are you kidding me, do you see how your vetererans an stars play ball that constantly chuck shots all game long. If anything you should be telling the vets to watch, but I forgot you hug their balls. I'm am so tired of these Eddie Jordan like statments from both the Eddies, its so old. Vets are way over praised in this town, and I blame the media as well for not having the guts to call out the Wiz pathetic coaches.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#149 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:31 pm

Post Portand Game observations and suggestions for line ups.

Wow. That was terrible. While watching the game I got to a point where I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Butler just took the ball and threw it up into the stands and walked off the court.

Then the thought came into my mind. Who can we really count on to play professional basketball on this team. I wasn't thinking prospects or upside. I was thinking professional basketball player.

Here are the qualities I'm talking about:

Prepared and ready to play night in and night out.
Effort - Someone with a motor
Heart
The ability to hit their shot with confidence.
Mental toughness and fight

Here is the list I came up with for our team of 12.

Caron
AJ
Songaila
Dixon

Now that's sad and explains a lot. We have 4 professional basketball players. Everyone else is either a project or a vet who you know can't get it done nightly. I guess James is borderline. Kind of like DS. He is a professionalish player. Not a DSONG but not a NY. This just highlights how big an impact loosing even a Etan is. At least Etan was a Pro Player and in a spot we are weak. Post muscle with motor. One a team with only 4 pro players, loosing 1 is a big deal.

It's time to bench Blatche for a few games to get his attention. I don't care if it pisses him off. I hope it does. I remember Haywood going through this process. He would fight hard to start. Then he would get it and do ok. Then he would fade. I guess it's a process. Blatche has never started this many games in a row.

Here is my starting line up and rotations for next few games

Dixon/Crit/James
DMAC/NY/James
Butler/DMAC
AJ/Blatche/OP
DSong/McGee

NY and Blatche should have short leashes or at a min. Tapps needs to ride them and pull them to the sidelines a lot. If NY isn't getting it done, put in James. If Blatche isn't showing effort, put in OP.

Right now, this team just sucks because we have lost to many Pro style vets and have only projects behind him.

I sympathize with anyone that has to coach this group. It is by no means an easy thing to do.

This is just a really touch season. Missing Haywood is the worst of it though. We could at least work on the other issues if we had Haywood anchoring the post.
AAEXPRESS
Sixth Man

Re: Dear Mr. Tapscott, This is how our lineup should be (merged) 

Post#150 » by AAEXPRESS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:10 pm

When is someone going to start the Amazingly Sucky Ed Tankscott Thread? He really sucks.
doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,364

Post#151 » by doclinkin » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:25 pm

dlts20 wrote:Where does everyone keep getting that Dmac is playing the 2 from? Did you hear that during the game or somewhere else? or are you just assuming that because he's being more aggressive now? I ask because it still says that Caron is the starting SG and to me it still looks like he's playing the 2 on O. He's catching the ball behind the 3pt line on nearly every play and it just isnt him. He'll have 1 good game out of 10 and everyone thinks that he's back but the next game he sucks again. I love Dmac and he's playing well but I swear that I think Critt should start at the 1 or atleast NY at the 2. Anything to get Caron back at his normal spot because he sucks at the 2, plain & simple

Getting that from me and from the Princeton Offense (or the bastardized version we've been running here for a while).

Dominic initiates the offense and brings the ball up-court while Caron sprints ahead to get position. We'll still run the weave at the top and Caron will often be a ballhandler out there, but that's part of the system. Key is, in the games since Caron's rebirth (5 games or so) Dom has been in the drive and dish role, where Caron is open for more backdoor work and low-post (or midrange) scoring chances, finishing off the pass. And Dom's been pretty efficient with the ball, making good decisions. Notice the 7 assists in this PHX game. Zero turnovers.

One key effect for Caron: not having to create off the dribble as often means his 3pt % has jumped back up in the past few games. He has his rhythm back.

Thing is the rest of our back court has been gawdawful. We had what, 2 points from our PG position? 8 points from the 2-guard (calling DMac a guard). Fact is if we had even half of Gilbert's 29 points, this is a tie ball game. And if Gil is healthy, I like our odds if we're tied in the 4th.
AAEXPRESS
Sixth Man

Post#152 » by AAEXPRESS » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:42 pm

How is it Mike James is still getting so much run even though he had not done anything the last few games. I am surprised he it getting so much run especially since he is not in our future plans. Even if the Wiz want to trade him, at best he is a throw in for a larger deal. I am very frustrated watching all these vets play while our young pups ride the pine.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#153 » by hands11 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:29 am

There are already like 3 threads on the topic.

But honestly. Do people really not understand what is going on here ?

I am not feed up with Tapps at all. For one, if you want to get on Tapps then say Tapps/EG
because I can assure you they are on the same page with their plan of action.

Second - we have no staring quality NBA centers, PG and or SGs

We also have contracts we need to move.

Sure it sucks to loose so much but I have a lot more faith in Tapps/EG then I ever did in EFJ.
EFJ always had either Haywood or Etan or both.

In a season like this, the only way to mentally survive is to spot to incremental progress of individual players. You can't judge Tapps like this is a regular season and if you don't see everything that is going on, your just going to complain and blame him senselessly.
yungal07
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#154 » by yungal07 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:07 am

Need more proof Tankscott is a moron:

"Stevenson practiced for the first time in three weeks on Tuesday and Tapscott said he looked good. 'As you know I'm a big DeShawn Stevenson fan, so I thought practice looked better because of his presence. I'm happy to have him back,' Tapscott said."

I think I tasted some vomit in my mouth...
AAEXPRESS
Sixth Man

Post#155 » by AAEXPRESS » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:35 pm

My whole issue with Tankscott is, the season is over so we need to get the young pups some run. It's a travesty that OPec doesnt see the floor. NY1 and McGhees minutes are up and down. Songalia is getting too many minutes. Play the pups for crying out loud.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Re: Armchair Coaching, Scouting, etc thread. 

Post#156 » by miller31time » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:56 pm

Merged the Dear Mr. Tapscott, This is how our lineup should be Thread with this one in an effort to consolidate.

-miller
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#157 » by fishercob » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:19 am

BUMP, for the greatest development in learning X's and O's imaginable: NBA PLaybook

Sebastian Pruiti is incredible. Follow him on Twitter @SebastianPruiti and bookmark http://www.nbaplaybook.com

His blog posts are very easy to understand with photo and video aids. As a starter, check out his breakdown of what he expects Mike Brown to do with the Lakers' twin towers. I challenge you to watch that and not learn something. It's worth start-stop-starting a few of the youtube clips as well.

Just awesome, awesome stuff.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,626

Post#158 » by pancakes3 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:08 am

Bullets -> Wizards
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,704

Post#159 » by montestewart » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:33 am

I just spent 30+ minutes at that site and bookmarked it. Thanks.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#160 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:01 am

Thank, fish! NBAPlaybook is a very interesting site that has a lot of good information for laymen and students of the game.
Bye bye Beal.

Return to Washington Wizards