ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread VI - Vistors please post trades HERE!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Official Trade Thread VI - Vistors please post trades HERE! 

Post#1481 » by fishercob » Mon Feb 9, 2009 5:42 pm

I declare Nate the winner on the Jamison debate (this has nothing to do with me engaging RUz in the same debate a couple of months ago).

Oh yeah, and IBTL.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,321

Post#1482 » by nate33 » Mon Feb 9, 2009 5:48 pm

Ruzious wrote:
nate33 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:But getting back to Jamison - when you're down-playing his effectiveness, you say he's not a good rebounder for a PF. And when you take the other side, you say he's a top 10 rebounder. Do you see why I've been saying - You can't have it both ways?

You accused me of this earlier and I don't understand why.

Because you said it recently - while explaining why he's been hurting the team.

I have no recollection of this. I believe you have me confused with somebody else.
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#1483 » by Dat2U » Mon Feb 9, 2009 6:26 pm

LyricalRico wrote:I agree with Ruz that Jamison's deal is somewhat prohibitive. I also agree with nate that Jamison for pure cap space probably isn't the best way to go. No reason that both of those ideas can't be true.

What I think we're seeing are differing opinions on which teams would value Jamison enough to trade assets and shorter contracts to get him. For example, nate thinks Portland would want Jamison (and evidently some PDX fans agree with him). However I don't see a young team taking on a second tier star who's about to be 33. I do like Jamison in Phoenix and I think they'd roll the dice because he gets them closer to a title. But others think that they are looking to have a completely clear cap in 2010 and wouldn't be interested.

I guess what I'm saying is that we probably agree on Jamison's "value" from an objective standpoint (his value in a vacuum, if you will). But when it comes to the subjective arguments on which teams would value him in their own situation, we've got some disagreements.

Not sure if any of that made sense. :D

I'm in agreement that Jamison's contract is somewhat prohibitive, but I don't think he's untradeable. I'd probably side a bit more with Ruz on this one, whatever we think of Jamison, his age & defensive reputation limits our options in trade scenarios. He'd only be a good fit on certain teams. Teams that want to win now (and might see Jamison as the final piece), teams with a definite need for a starter at either F spot (b/c I don't see Jamison being content with coming off the bench) & teams with the ability to cover up his defensive shortcomings. You try to come up with many teams that fit that scenario. I can only think of two. Cleveland & Houston. Maybe Phoenix if we include Blatche/McGee or/and our pick as part of a package for Amare but I doubt Phoenix bites. I'd rule out young teams like Portland & Chicago b/c of Jamison's age.

As far as actual trade value, I seriously doubt we could get much in return for Jamison. A relatively productive player with major flaws & similar long term contract? Yes. An expiring contract in either 09 or 10? Possibly. An all-star type or a young stud with all-star potential? Absolutely not.

IMO, the best move that could be made would be to clear cap and allow opportunity for Blatche and/or potentially our top 5 pick to develop at the PF position. Even if Blatche or the unnamed top 5 pick never produce to the extent of Jamison, we'd still improve defensively and we'd create some financial flexibility to eventually be able to improve the team in other ways as well. Right now, were locked into a corner with Jamison's contract and a bunch of other contracts that are damn near unmoveable (thanks EG!).

So bottom line, don't deal Jamison for crap or mediocrity in the form of another long term deal. Try to deal Jamison for an 09 or 10 expiring, throw Songaila or Stevenson in if you can to free up more cap room & finally break the stagnation this organization has been in for the last 4-5 years.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1484 » by LyricalRico » Mon Feb 9, 2009 6:47 pm

On that note, it's the end of this episode of "The Trade Thread". Tune in next week for your chance to trade away your favorite Wizards. Good night everybody!

Return to Washington Wizards