ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Trade Thread VI - Vistors please post trades HERE!

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Re: Official Trade Thread VI - Vistors please post trades HERE! 

Post#1441 » by Rafael122 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 12:21 am

It looks like the Hornets are trying to get rid of contracts that have 2 years or more left. The news thing says Chandler, Peja, Peterson and Posey (another free agent signing that will most likely get traded).

How about Etan Thomas + 2011 first round pick (lottery protected) for Rasual Butler, Melvin Ely, and Julian Wright?
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,349

Post#1442 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:58 am

Rafael122 wrote:It looks like the Hornets are trying to get rid of contracts that have 2 years or more left. The news thing says Chandler, Peja, Peterson and Posey (another free agent signing that will most likely get traded).

How about Etan Thomas + 2011 first round pick (lottery protected) for Rasual Butler, Melvin Ely, and Julian Wright?

We've got enough luxtax problems as it is. There's no way we'd make a trade that results in us taking on more long term salary.
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#1443 » by spaceman_E » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:05 am

Shoot... Etan, James, Deshawn + Mcgee for Chandler, Ely, + Posey

We get our SG upgrade and basically hit fast forward on Mcgee by 3 years. They get cap space in 2010, an ok SG replacement and a prospect who would develop a lot faster next to CP. I think they would be silly to do it but it can't hurt to try.
You don't win friends with salad.
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#1444 » by lupin » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:21 am

I'm not making any actual proposals with this post. I just want to express one basic thought: Jamison must be traded before the deadline, preferably due to salary implications, or in the off-season. Why? Well, there's a two-fold answer.

First, Jamison will be 33 at the end of the season. This has already been a wasted year for him. Next year will be one of transition with a new coach, integrating the missing parts (Arenas, Haywood), and possibly a very high draft pick or new talent acquired in some manner. It is probably not going to be a contention season, again. That's another year down the tubes and he's then he's 34. You're playing with fire in terms of his eventual decline and his salary significantly increases which might make him even harder to trade.

Secondly, you make the trade for Jamison's sake. He's still putting up good numbers, on the offensive side, and his salary slot right now probably fits in better with other teams' salary structures. At this point in his career he's still good enough and young enough to help a team already on the cusp of a championship. So, you claim you like him and he's a stand up guy, etc., etc., why not Do The Right Thing by Jamison?

Otherwise the whole thing is a waste - for the Wizards and for Jamison. He must go. If he goes before the deadline, the Wiz can get at least one expiring salary back that will keep them below the dreaded luxury tax threshold, which should give them some breathing room and the ability to sign that high draft pick without whining about it.

On a separate note, why does Abe care about the luxury tax so much (at least by public perception)? To be frank, he can't take "it" with him. He's 84 and in poor health. What does he really lose by biting the proverbial bullet with regards to the tax? I fully understand not going into tax land for a minimum salary player or an NBDL reject, but I really, really hope that it will have no bearing on signing/keeping a high draft pick or making a trade that proposes an upgrade to the entire team. That would be extremely shortsighted given the (grand) Big Picture.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1445 » by Rafael122 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:52 am

nate33 wrote:
Rafael122 wrote:It looks like the Hornets are trying to get rid of contracts that have 2 years or more left. The news thing says Chandler, Peja, Peterson and Posey (another free agent signing that will most likely get traded).

We've got enough luxtax problems as it is. There's no way we'd make a trade that results in us taking on more long term salary.

Ely expires this year, Butler expires the next year, and Julian Wright is still on his rookie contract. From a financial standpoint, how is this bad? Butler and Wright would make like $4 million combined next season, as opposed to having $12 million in salaries from Thomas and James.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1446 » by LyricalRico » Sun Feb 8, 2009 5:31 am

Okay, what if the Bulls are going hard after Amare but they don't quite have enough to get it done. Would they settle for Jamison as a consolation prize in a 3-way where we get Stoudamire?

Wiz trade: Jamison, James, and 09 first
Wiz receive: Stoudamire, Ruffin, and Bulls 09 first

Bulls trade: Gooden, Sefolosha, Ruffin, and 09 first
Bulls receive: Jamison

Suns trade: Stoudamire
Suns receive: Gooden, Sefolosha, James, and Wiz 09 first

TRADE ID 4983303

Phoenix gets what they want out of the deal. Chicago may not want to help a rival but the do get an upgrade in the process. We upgrade our PF spot without totally trading out of the draft. Not to mention we also help slightly lower out luxury tax liability.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#1447 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Feb 8, 2009 1:03 pm

How about since Crittenton's the starting PG, the Wizards trade Dixon and the rights to Veeremenko to Utah for Mo Almond?

Utah's not going to sign him. I still think he's better than Young.
Bye bye Beal.
mhd
General Manager
And1: 1,447

Post#1448 » by mhd » Sun Feb 8, 2009 2:57 pm

I've always liked Al Thorthon. Nate has stated that any Butler trade better bring bring young talent. What about this:

Wizards trade:
1) Caron Butler
2) DeShawn Stevenson
3) Oleksay Pecherov
for:
1) Al Thorthon
2) Jason Collins (expiring)
3) Jason Hart (expiring)
4) Brian Skinner

Minny trades:
1) Mike Miller
3) Sebastian Telfair
for:
1) Baron Davis
2) DeShawn Stevenson
3) Oleksay Pecherov

Clippers trade:
1) Baron Davis
2) Al Thorthon
3) Brian Skinner
4) Jason Hart (expiring)
for:
1) Caron Butler
2) Mike Miller
3) Sebastian Telfair

NEW LINEUPS:
Wizards:
PG: Arenas/Crittenton
SG: Young/Dixon
SF: Thorthon/McGuire
PF: Jamison/Blatche
C: Haywood/McGee

Minny:
PG: Davis/Ollie
SG: Foye/Mccants
SF: Gomes/Carney
PF: Love/Smith
C: Jefferson/Booth

Clippers:
PG: Telfair/Collins
SG: Gordon/Miller/Davis
SF: Butler/Miller
PF: Randolph/Jordan
C: Kaman/Camby

WHY FOR THE WIZARDS?
1) They get out of luxary tax danger while replacing Butler with a pretty good young prospect in AL Thorthon.

WHY FOR THE Clippers?
1) Baron is pouting. He wants out. They get two needed swingmen to help Gordon's development, while getting out of Baron's longterm deal.
2) With a likely very high pick, they can set their sights on Holliday/Rubio to play PG.

WHY FOR THE Timberwolves?
1) Foye has shown he's better at the off-guard spot. Baron is still a world-class PG who will help Jefferson and Love.
2) Will Minny get a better FA than Baron with their cap space? That's the ultimate question. I'd rather have an all-star like Baron than overpay for mediocre talent like Udrich for example.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1449 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 3:30 pm

Rafael122 wrote:
nate33 wrote:

Ely expires this year, Butler expires the next year, and Julian Wright is still on his rookie contract. From a financial standpoint, how is this bad? Butler and Wright would make like $4 million combined next season, as opposed to having $12 million in salaries from Thomas and James.

Sorry. I didn't even look at the contracts. I assumed that when you mentioned that New Orleans wanted to dump salary, you would then propose a trade that helped them dump salary.

I don't see any way New Orleans agrees to this. They're trading away a couple of competent players for what will likely be a low draft pick. New Orleans is in position to contend now. I don't see them blowing that up for a pick. (They might trade some of their decent vets for expiring contracts, but not a future pick.)
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#1450 » by SportsFan215 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 6:49 pm

mhd wrote:I've always liked Al Thorthon. Nate has stated that any Butler trade better bring bring young talent. What about this:

Wizards trade:
1) Caron Butler
2) DeShawn Stevenson
3) Oleksay Pecherov
for:
1) Al Thorthon
3) Jason Hart (expiring)
4) Brian Skinner

Minny trades:
1) Mike Miller
3) Sebastian Telfair
for:
1) Baron Davis
2) DeShawn Stevenson
3) Oleksay Pecherov

Clippers trade:
1) Baron Davis
2) Al Thorthon
3) Brian Skinner
4) Jason Hart (expiring)
for:
1) Caron Butler
2) Mike Miller
3) Sebastian Telfair

NEW LINEUPS:
Wizards:
PG: Arenas/Crittenton
SG: Young/Dixon
SF: Thorthon/McGuire
PF: Jamison/Blatche
C: Haywood/McGee

Minny:
PG: Davis/Ollie
SG: Foye/Mccants
SF: Gomes/Carney
PF: Love/Smith
C: Jefferson/Booth

Clippers:
PG: Telfair/Collins
SG: Gordon/Miller/Davis
SF: Butler/Miller
PF: Randolph/Jordan
C: Kaman/Camby

WHY FOR THE WIZARDS?
1) They get out of luxary tax danger while replacing Butler with a pretty good young prospect in AL Thorthon.

WHY FOR THE Clippers?
1) Baron is pouting. He wants out. They get two needed swingmen to help Gordon's development, while getting out of Baron's longterm deal.
2) With a likely very high pick, they can set their sights on Holliday/Rubio to play PG.

WHY FOR THE Timberwolves?
1) Foye has shown he's better at the off-guard spot. Baron is still a world-class PG who will help Jefferson and Love.
2) Will Minny get a better FA than Baron with their cap space? That's the ultimate question. I'd rather have an all-star like Baron than overpay for mediocre talent like Udrich for example.

MIN doesn't like that trade at all. How about this though?

Clips Get: Butler/James
Clips Give: Baron/Thornton

The Clips get an all-star SF and a serviceable PG.

Sixers Get: Baron
Sixers Give: Miller

The Sixers are pretty sure Miller will bolt for the west coast in the offseason, so they get Baron, who still have a lot of talent. He just needs a better team and a better coach to play for.

Wiz Get: Thornton/Miller
Wiz Give: Butler/James

The Wiz get under the lux tax in 2009 with MIller's expiring, and get a very good young player in Al Thornton.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#1451 » by nate33 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:03 pm

Meh. Thornton is decent but not really all that good. He's an average player who gets 17 points and 5 boards per 36 on low efficiency shooting. His defensive on/off differential is a terrible +8.2. He's already 26 years old so I'm not expecting that much improvement going forward.

I would not do this trade.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1452 » by LyricalRico » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:36 pm

^Give us Thad Young instead of Thornton and you've got my attention. May still need a future pick, though.
JWizmentality
RealGM
And1: 5,093

Post#1453 » by JWizmentality » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:44 pm

If Butler sits out another game, he's being traded. Aint nobody sit out three games with the flu.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#1454 » by Rafael122 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 7:54 pm

It's pretty suspicious isn't it. I believe KG only missed 1 game with the flu.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#1455 » by Benjammin » Sun Feb 8, 2009 8:04 pm

JWizmentality wrote:If Butler sits out another game, he's being traded. Aint nobody sit out three games with the flu.

I have no problem trading Butler if we get fair value back. However, if Butler goes Jamison needs to go as well. I've never seen two guys who have won so little whine and bitch so much about young players not playing the right way. In the words of Doc Walker, they really haven't "busted a grape" in this league when it comes to playoff success. As far as Jamison goes, whether he gives effort on d or not, his results, or lack thereof, speak for themselves.
SportsFan215
Assistant Coach
And1: 60

Post#1456 » by SportsFan215 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 8:09 pm

Ok how about something like this:

Clips Get: Butler/E. Thomas
Clips Give: Baron/Thornton

Sixers Get: Baron/Thornton
Sixers Give: Miller/Young

Wiz Get: Young/Miller
Wiz Give: Butler/E. Thomas
AgentOvechkin08
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#1457 » by AgentOvechkin08 » Sun Feb 8, 2009 8:39 pm

I really dont want to see butler traded. Next year when we are full go with a top draft pick. We should be a good if not great team.

Butler is a perfect compliment player that can get you 20 every night with Gil's 30ppg.

Jamison should be traded.

EG should get decent value back for Jamison and know that their is a decent crop of PF's in the draft starting with Griffin and Hill.

He also still has blatche.

I heard something interesting from Hubbie Brown on Friday. He said McGee has potential not only to be a center in this league but also a PF. That was interesting. Maybe go McGee as out future PF and go for Thabeet at the Center. I AM NOT SAYING I WANT THAT AT ALL

But that would be a big front line and nobody would be able to get a shot off in the paint.

Me personally i want to see Jamison dealt, out west with bad contracts (like Stevenson).

Butler and Arenas should be built around with out young guys plus another complimentary player or two.

Trading Butler for someone like Thaddeus Young IMO is not the smartest of trades because thats adding another young guy. Yes he has potential but i dont want a whole bench full of those guys.
GO SKINS
GO WIZ
GO CAPS

GO DC BABY

maybe the Nats, in like 10 years
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1458 » by Ruzious » Sun Feb 8, 2009 10:05 pm

Would you trade Jamison and filler (Etan or James) to Philly for Brand and a future pick - or is it just bad contract for worse contract?

Notes: Brand's contract runs a year longer than Jamison's. The Wiz would save 3-4 mil next season, but they would be on the hook for 2.6 mil more the year after, then 2.0 mil, and then 18.2.

Philly was going after Jamison in free agency before they went after Brand. Brand didn't seem to fit in Philly and cramped AI2's style. Brand is much more injury prone and is out for the season. Philly needs to add a quality veteran up front who can shoot - or they'll get crushed in the 1st round of the playoffs. Jamison has put up good playoff numbers the last 4 years for the Wiz, including 16.8/12 last year and 32/10 the year before.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#1459 » by miller31time » Sun Feb 8, 2009 11:30 pm

Ruzious wrote:Would you trade Jamison and filler (Etan or James) to Philly for Brand and a future pick - or is it just bad contract for worse contract?

Notes: Brand's contract runs a year longer than Jamison's. The Wiz would save 3-4 mil next season, but they would be on the hook for 2.6 mil more the year after, then 2.0 mil, and then 18.2.

Philly was going after Jamison in free agency before they went after Brand. Brand didn't seem to fit in Philly and cramped AI2's style. Brand is much more injury prone and is out for the season. Philly needs to add a quality veteran up front who can shoot - or they'll get crushed in the 1st round of the playoffs. Jamison has put up good playoff numbers the last 4 years for the Wiz, including 16.8/12 last year and 32/10 the year before.

I agree with Phillly fans (did I just say that..?) in that Brand isn't really injury prone. He experienced two freak injuries but before those, he was a fairly injury-free player. I'd compare him to Gilbert in that, we here on the Wiz-Board don't really see Gilbert as injury-prone but more unlucky.

I would definitely, absolutely, 100% trade Jamison and a filler for Brand.

If it doesn't work out, how much more screwed are we? Let's say we keep Antawn. We aren't winning jack this season. In the next few seasons, Jamison will be nearly untradable and will have lost a step (though that means less for Jamison than most since he doesn't rely on athleticism much).

But yeah....I'd do that trade in a heartbeat.
Benjammin
Lead Assistant
And1: 378

Post#1460 » by Benjammin » Mon Feb 9, 2009 2:04 am

I'm in the tank for Brand so I'm not that objective. Assuming we get a new medical staff, I would trade Jamison and filler for Brand (getting a long-term clean bill of health). I think Brand'z character and attitude wise has some Wes Unseld in him and I could see Brand and Haywood being a dynamite defensive combination as well that Brand can score in the paint and shoot a mid-range J.

Return to Washington Wizards