Wizards in the Media Thread

Moderators: LyricalRico, nate33, montestewart

LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Re: Wizards in the Media Thread 

Post#81 » by LyricalRico » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:25 pm

I disagree. The Celtics of two years ago were a very young team with one star and they lucked out because two All-Stars (one a legit MVP caliber player) were on the market at the same time. We're not as young and I don't know of anybody in the Garnett/Allen class that's going to be available in the near future.

We've also got some contracts nobody wants. That being said, the C's used a top 5 pick to unload Wally Z so maybe there's hope for us yet. But again, somebody has to be available for anything to happen.
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 19,345

Post#82 » by nate33 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:05 am

LyricalRico wrote:I disagree. The Celtics of two years ago were a very young team with one star and they lucked out because two All-Stars (one a legit MVP caliber player) were on the market at the same time. We're not as young and I don't know of anybody in the Garnett/Allen class that's going to be available in the near future.

We've also got some contracts nobody wants. That being said, the C's used a top 5 pick to unload Wally Z so maybe there's hope for us yet. But again, somebody has to be available for anything to happen.

Yeah, the real problem is that there is no Kevin Garnett available. On the bright side, the guys that are available (Bosh, Amare, Nowitzki) are younger than Garnett was. Even if the Wizards don't put themselves in position to be immediate championship contenders, they'll have a bigger window of time to acquire that final piece.
fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#83 » by fishercob » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:25 am

I don't remember Ray Allen being "available" before his deal. It just kind of happened. Hard to say who, but I'd bet that there will be teams this summer looking to a similar trade (bank a good prospect, save some cash in exchange for an established but overpaid vet).

As to the KG point, that's true. There's no KG on the market. The article makes the case that a healthy Wizards squad is better than the C's were two years ago, and therefore they don't need to add KG to be contenders. That's obviously debatable, and we won't know unless we...well...know.

The guy I'd covet of the group mentioned is Bosh because he's so young and because his defense was so lauded on the Olympic team over the summer (for the same reason -- defense -- I'm scared of Stoudemire). If the Wiz had a core of Arenas, Bosh, Butler and Haywood, and were able to add TT to coach, I have a hard time seeing them as anything other than elite.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
spaceman_E
Sixth Man
And1: 30

Post#84 » by spaceman_E » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:13 am

Wood > Perkins
AJ ~ Jefferson
Butler < Pierce
Dmac ~ Wally
Arenas(healthy) >> Rondo

When you factor in depth with Mcgee, NY, Blatche, James and Etan for expirings, and a likely top 3 pick our overall team is better but in the NBA, elite players win championships and unless Gil returns 110% and we land Bosh or Blake Griffin it's going to be near impossible to win a championship with our squad.
You don't win friends with salad.
hands11
Banned User
And1: 2,444

Post#85 » by hands11 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:19 am

fishercob wrote:I don't remember Ray Allen being "available" before his deal. It just kind of happened. Hard to say who, but I'd bet that there will be teams this summer looking to a similar trade (bank a good prospect, save some cash in exchange for an established but overpaid vet).

As to the KG point, that's true. There's no KG on the market. The article makes the case that a healthy Wizards squad is better than the C's were two years ago, and therefore they don't need to add KG to be contenders. That's obviously debatable, and we won't know unless we...well...know.

The guy I'd covet of the group mentioned is Bosh because he's so young and because his defense was so lauded on the Olympic team over the summer (for the same reason -- defense -- I'm scared of Stoudemire). If the Wiz had a core of Arenas, Bosh, Butler and Haywood, and were able to add TT to coach, I have a hard time seeing them as anything other than elite.

And with all his talent, GA is still wild card because he is GA. That qwerky personality is something you just can't bank on. It may be entertaining to some but it does make him a wild card.
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#86 » by LyricalRico » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:46 am

fishercob wrote:I don't remember Ray Allen being "available" before his deal. It just kind of happened. Hard to say who, but I'd bet that there will be teams this summer looking to a similar trade (bank a good prospect, save some cash in exchange for an established but overpaid vet).

Maybe we have different definitions of "available". I'm not saying that the Sonics were actively shopping him but they were a bad team with a chance to start over with Durant. I don't see any teams in that situation with a similar caliber player.

Here's a thought - would the Sonics have kept Allen if they'd ended up with Oden in the draft?
fishercob
RealGM

Post#87 » by fishercob » Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:43 am

LyricalRico wrote:

Maybe we have different definitions of "available". I'm not saying that the Sonics were actively shopping him but they were a bad team with a chance to start over with Durant. I don't see any teams in that situation with a similar caliber player.

Here's a thought - would the Sonics have kept Allen if they'd ended up with Oden in the draft?

I think we have the same definition of available. I agree that I don't see an exactly analogous situation to Allen and the Sonics two years ago. But Allen, Camby, Jason Richardson, Gasol (!), are all examples of guys who got moved (some almost out of the blue) in exchange for far lesser talents, just in the last couple of years. Yeah, at the halfway point it's hard to predict who will fall in that category come draft night. But rest assured that those guys will emerge, especially in a flagging economy with revenues dropping.

As to your question, I think Seattle makes that trade if they had gotten Oden, Durant or whomever. They weren't winning anything of substance with Ray Ray and cashed him in for a young piece and some financial relief.
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#88 » by fishercob » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:55 pm

Mike Wise piece on Deshawn. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/24/AR2009012401784.html

Nice reminder that these guys are human beings...
— Steve Martin
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,994

Post#89 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:32 pm

nate33 wrote:
LyricalRico wrote:I disagree. The Celtics of two years ago were a very young team with one star and they lucked out because two All-Stars (one a legit MVP caliber player) were on the market at the same time. We're not as young and I don't know of anybody in the Garnett/Allen class that's going to be available in the near future.

Yeah, the real problem is that there is no Kevin Garnett available. On the bright side, the guys that are available (Bosh, Amare, Nowitzki) are younger than Garnett was. Even if the Wizards don't put themselves in position to be immediate championship contenders, they'll have a bigger window of time to acquire that final piece.

I'm thinking instead of unrealistically looking to get a Garnett, Bosh, or Nowitzki; the Wizards should look for good veterans more-easily acquired; like Carter, Salmons, Hamilton, Millsap, Kirilenko, Rasheed Wallace, and Kenyon Martin.

First, upgrade at SG. Very simply, Caron and Antawn won't play enough defense to go far in the playoffs. Make one of them the SF and use the other to acquire a top notch SG. Young is NOT the answer at SG because he brings nothing but streak scoring and low IQ ball. I like Salmons a lot and think Carter and Hamilton can be bought low. Rip's just a scorer, too, but he's been a winner and I don't think Nick Young is (although I could be wrong).

Next, upgrade at PF. I'd love to see Millsap at PF next to Haywood. Same for Kirilenko, Sheed, or K Mart. Provided the Wizards had a dynamic SG, the PF need not be a volume scorer. Size and defense are needed at PF.

I could see the Wizards rapidly reload, too, if Gil's 85% what he was and if Haywood's 100%. They could rival teams like the Celtics with a great trade and a good coach.
Bye bye Beal.
hands11
Banned User

Post#90 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:58 pm

Chocolate City Jordanaire wrote:
nate33 wrote:

I'm thinking instead of unrealistically looking to get a Garnett, Bosh, or Nowitzki; the Wizards should look for good veterans more easily-acquired; like Carter, Salmons, Hamilton, Millsap, Kirilenko, Rasheed Wallace, and Kenyon Martin.

First, upgrade at SG. Very simply, Caron and Antawn won't play enough defense to go far in the playoffs. Make one of them the SF and use the other to acquire at top notch SG. Young is NOT the answer at SG because he brings nothing but streak scoring and low IQ ball. I like Salmons a lot and think Carter and Hamilton can be bought low. Rip's just a scorer, too, but he's been a winner and I don't think Nick Young is (although I could be wrong).

Next, upgrade at PF. I'd love to see Millsap at PF next to Haywood. Same for Kirilenko, Sheed, or K Mart. Provided the Wizards had a dynamic SG, the PF need not be a volume scorer. Size and defense are needed at PF.

I could see the Wizards rapidly reload, too, if Gil's 85% what he was and if Haywood's 100%. They could rival teams like the Celtics with a great trade and a good coach.

That's it in a nut shell.
hands11
Banned User

Post#91 » by hands11 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:29 pm

fishercob wrote:Mike Wise piece on Deshawn. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/24/AR2009012401784.html

Nice reminder that these guys are human beings...

Dame. That was deep.

Being someone who can tap into that to some degree because of how things were with my ol man, I get DS a little better. It's something you would have to go through to understand.

At least he had a step father. Hopefully he was a good man. Nothing is more important then kids having adults ( a women and a man ) playing the role of parents. Nothing.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Ivan's Wiz Coverage 

Post#92 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:47 pm

What am I missing here guys? Ivan's write-up of yesterday's practice omits MAJOR NEWS about Gilbert, the fact that Gilbert was there and participated in full-contact practice; this is worthy of it's own thread on Ivan's blog, but no mention. I would like to give Ivan the benefit of the doubt, but something really stinks here, Am I wrong? :crazy:
no D in Hibachi
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: Ivan's Wiz Coverage 

Post#93 » by no D in Hibachi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:10 pm

Generally I enjoy Ivan's work. I'd like him to be more of a bull dog in his work, but you can't bite the hand that feeds you, if you know what I mean. However, if the hibachi was burning yesterday in full contact practice that should be front page A1 Washington Post material. This has been one of the biggest DC sports story of the past year and some how it slipped through the cracks. Just out of curiosity, where was this reported first?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#94 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:16 pm

He isn't feeding anyone. He didn't break the Daniels trade, dude, we got it off a Memphis newspaper.

And the DC Examiner broke the Arenas practice. Meanwhile, Ivan runs an article about our cap situation, which would have been fine last week when there was nothing to do.

He waits for everything to come to him, rather the other way around. As far as I can tell, I van has not broken any Wizards news. We've always gotten it from somewhere else.

The Arenas thing though, that's just being lazy b/c he was at MCI last night for the practice.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,529

Post#95 » by closg00 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:20 pm

Here's the Examiner link. Ivan wasn't being lazy, this smacks of something being really rotten. Like I said in another thread, either he wasn't at the practice and he phoned various players and asked what they did etc. or, Ivan is in cahoots with Wiz staff management on the control of Gilbert info.
http://www.dcexaminer.com/sports/Return ... 96367.html
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,779

Post#96 » by Rafael122 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:26 pm

Well if he has a wink wink nudge nudge with Wizards management, its affecting his reporting because quite frankly, he doesn't know anything. If he were tight with management, he would have broken that Daniels trade. He works for the Post, that should automatically put him a step above everyone else covering the Wizards.

And the Insider page is worthless. Compare to the Redskins and Capitals Insider and you'll see what I mean. EL-bashir and JLC work their asses off, meanwhile we get posts about how Ivan misses walking his dog or Michael Lee putting up random stuff about NBA teams that here in DC, no one else cares about. If I wanted to see how Peja was doing, ****, I dunno, I'd take a look at ESPN or even New Orleans' local paper.

I'm venting. I promised I wasn't going to do this, so I'll go.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
fifthstop
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#97 » by fifthstop » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:27 pm

Or the Examiner story is wrong. Seems unlikely but a possibility...
MJG
Assistant Coach
And1: 151

Post#98 » by MJG » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:29 pm

I'd think by now people would have set the proper expectations for Insider. It's more or less a token effort to have a bit of a fan-friendly web presence, nothing more. It's not a place for in-depth analysis or juicy tidbits gleamed off of insider sources.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#99 » by Ruzious » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:31 pm

It is pretty amazing that the DC Examiner has the best basketball coverage in town.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,097

Post#100 » by Dat2U » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:35 pm

I think Ivan just lacks the edge to be a real reporter. He'll be tough on a guy like Andray Blatche or Brendan Haywood when its convienent and popular to do so, but he'll never take a hard stance on the organization. He'll never report anything that the organization might not want the public to find out about.

It's like he'd rather be friends with the guys he's paid to cover than actually be a real journalist. He'd rather have a beer with Ernie or a front office guy and have them lie to his face then risk alienating them with a story that actually might be newsworthy.

Sometimes I wonder who pays him. The Wizards or the WP.

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree though. I seem to remember for a while prior to Ivan coming to DC that the Wizards wouldn't really deal with any WP reporters. I think the Wizards were mad about the MJ coverage during that era as it was slanted against them. Maybe part of Ivan's job was to re-establish a good working relationship with the organization, even if it means sacrificing breaking every single story involving this team.

Return to Washington Wizards