Post#1001 » by Hidden Eye » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:50 am

Surprised he didn't say Bynum and Stuckey :lol:
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Re: Wizards in the Media Thread 

Post#1002 » by Illmatic21 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:09 am

^lol.. I honestly thought he would say Isaiah Thomas. Regardless of what he says in the media, empirical evidence says otherwise
Illmatic21
Inactive user
Inactive user
And1: 554

Post#1003 » by Illmatic21 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:58 am

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#1004 » by fishercob » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:19 pm

Tis the season for rumors Rumors RUMORS!

Personally, I believe very little of what I read unless:

(1) It is reported with specifics by a trusted journalist like Wojnorowski, Marc Stein, etc
(2) Is a sourced report (which is basically never).

I think a lot of what gets reported is basically total bunk created by agents or rival front offices trying to create chaos/distractions around the deadline. I also think you see a fair amount of complete and utter fabrications designed to drive clicks/traffic, b/c that goes directly to someone's bottom line.

Ken Berger of CBS wrote:Several teams have called Milwaukee about point guard Luke Ridnour, including Washington and Sacramento, a league source said. The Bucks are also fielding calls about their young players, as teams are dubious that owner Herb Kohl is serious about going through the pain of a youth movement. (It's been painful enough as it is.) But the message from the Bucks has been consistent: Barring a significant offer, their young assets are staying put.

There's nothing in here that makes me believe that the Wizards are particularly hot for Ridnour. If I had to guess, they are trying to see what MIL's appetite is for moving him and what it would cost if the Wiz decided they wanted him.

Zach Lowe wrote:The Wizards, meanwhile, may have to settle for a smaller deal — if they can manage any at all. They’d surely love to upgrade the backup point guard slot after the Eric Maynor flop, and given the front-office connections between Denver and Washington,4 a deal involving the exiled Professor Andre Miller, PhD, would seem to make sense. But the Wizards are just $1 million under the tax line, meaning they’d have to send out significant salary to offer Miller tenure.

No reporting here. Just analysis.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/433266877955985408[/tweet]

Again, there's very little here even from the trusted Steiny-Mo. Udrih is "said" to be high on the Wiz list. But by whom -- his agent? Someone in the Wiz front office? Chad Ford?

Reports like these then get recycled in more tweets, on blog posts, etc. There's very little actual reporting. I believe very little of what I read this time of year until it's reported as done.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1005 » by fishercob » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:55 pm

I am also amused at how people think events happen in the sequence in which they are reported.

It's as if Ernie calls Mike Lee a media member as soon as he makes an inquiry on a specific player.
— Steve Martin
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1006 » by LyricalRico » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:43 pm

fishercob
RealGM

Post#1007 » by fishercob » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:47 pm

Out of curiosity, did people watch TNT or CSN last night? I chose TNT, as I much prefer Marv/Kerr to Buck and Phil.
— Steve Martin
queridiculo
RealGM
And1: 9,031

Post#1008 » by queridiculo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:52 pm

fishercob wrote:Out of curiosity, did people watch TNT or CSN last night? I chose TNT, as I much prefer Marv/Kerr to Buck and Phil.

CSN isn't an option for me unfortunately, but I'm surprised by your preference.

It didn't seem like Kerr/Marv were providing anything in the way of earth shattering analysis and the Bulls dick riding by Kerr in particular got on my nerves pretty early.

Would have much preferred Buck and Phil, though I wouldn't mind having Miller and Webber do some of our games. Not sure how the broadcast teams are assigned, but I really enjoy what those two have to say about the game.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#1009 » by fishercob » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:57 pm

queridiculo wrote:
fishercob wrote:Out of curiosity, did people watch TNT or CSN last night? I chose TNT, as I much prefer Marv/Kerr to Buck and Phil.

CSN isn't an option for me unfortunately, but I'm surprised by your preference.

It didn't seem like Kerr/Marv were providing anything in the way of earth shattering analysis and the Bulls dick riding by Kerr in particular got on my nerves pretty early.

Would have much preferred Buck and Phil, though I wouldn't mind having Miller and Webber do some of our games. Not sure how the broadcast teams are assigned, but I really enjoy what those two have to say about the game.

I think Kerr is excellent and impartial. Considering that he's playing to a broad audience, I think he's pretty insightful. The TNT production is also better than CSN's. I don't enjoy Buck, particularly his whining/moping when the Wiz are down. I'm already tense, and he makes it worse.
— Steve Martin
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1010 » by queridiculo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:02 pm

I've been a big fan of Kerr too, it just seemed to me like he was cheerleading more than providing us with his usually poignant analysis.

Then again, there was a point where I sort of tuned everything out. Watching the replay right now, maybe I just keyed on something he said in particular which soured me on him.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#1011 » by Nivek » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:16 pm

I was in and out of the car taking my sons to rehearsals so I listened to a fair amount of Dave Johnson and Glenn Consor. Wasn't one of Glenn's better games. I recorded the TNT feed for two reasons: better picture quality and better announcers. I don't enjoy listening to Buckhantz and I don't learn anything or gain insight from listening to Phil.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1012 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58 pm

Marv is still awesome at what he does, so as long as he's with someone decent - and he usually is - I choose him every time. It was also nice to hear what national people think about watching the Wizards.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
dlts20
RealGM
And1: 6,194

Post#1013 » by dlts20 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:05 pm

I watched TNT and dvr'd csn. Whenever we are on another network I always take advantage of listening to them. It gives you an outside view of how people feel about us. Thats why I try to stream as many road games as possible so you can hear the other team's announcers. I was upset last night because I was actually using the dvr for both CSN & TNT while streaming the Bulls network. Then I hit pause or something on accident and had to reload the screen. When I reloaded, it came back as TNT. I was so mad. I wanted to hear the Bulls announcers get upset when we were winning........lol

I tried a million more times but it was always TNT after that so I just watched it on TV
LyricalRico
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 780

Post#1014 » by LyricalRico » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:09 pm

I mostly watched TNT, but had CSN as my flashback channel. After Gortat's bucket late in the 4th, I flashed back to CSN and rewound it to hear Buck's call. But other than that, I didn't have much interest in the CSN broadcast.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#1015 » by Ruzious » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:30 pm

Apparently, Phil Jackson was impre$$ed by Kerr.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Severn Hoos
Lead Assistant
And1: 222

Post#1016 » by Severn Hoos » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:56 pm

fishercob wrote:I think Kerr is excellent and impartial. Considering that he's playing to a broad audience, I think he's pretty insightful. The TNT production is also better than CSN's. I don't enjoy Buck, particularly his whining/moping when the Wiz are down. I'm already tense, and he makes it worse.

Huge tangent, and way small sample size (i.e., unfair) but Kerr said something in the UVA-UMD finale that kind of bugged me. It was a national game, and Kerr (think he was with Albert then too) probably doesn't follow NCAA ball too closely these days. But as the game was tight down the stretch, he said something like "Virginia has the advantage here, because they've been in a lot of close games so know how to handle the pressure."

I figure he just assumed that UVA had been in (and won) a bunch of close games, because they were 16-1 in conference at the time. (Yes, this is a roundabout way of reminding everyone that the Hoos were conference champs this year. ;-) )

Well, the reality is that they had won 11 or 12 of those games by double digits, and had really only won 2 or 3 one-possession games in the league, if that. I was actually nervous for exactly the reason that they hadn't been in many close games, while Maryland had. And of course, that came to prove out as the Terps won in OT.

Not to rip on Kerr, because I do like him on NBA games - but be careful with definitive statements when you might not really know for sure what you think you know.

[I remembered this last night when Noah "tipped" in the rebound in the 4th quarter. On the replay, clear as day, it showed that the ball was about 3/4 in the cylinder when he touched it, an obvious offensive goaltending. And Kerr said something like "Noah may have touched that one in the cylinder. MAY have?!?! Um, look at the replay. It's OK to say what is painfully obvious, even if it means pointing out that the refs missed a call - they get the overwhelming majority right, at a staggering percentage. I couldn't tell if he was trying not to criticize the refs or really wasn't sure. If the latter, it would be disappointing...]
"A society that puts equality - in the sense of equality of outcome - ahead of freedom will end up with neither equality nor freedom. The use of force to achieve equality will destroy freedom" Milton Friedman, Free to Choose
queridiculo
RealGM

Post#1017 » by queridiculo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:14 am

Ruzious wrote:Apparently, Phil Jackson was impre$$ed by Kerr.

Are you suggesting Kerr might take over the Knicks?
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#1018 » by montestewart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:16 am

I forgot about the TNT option until late in the game and then never bothered to switch. I need to be more on top of these details. Albert has a lot of distracting tics, but he's usually a little more on top of the goings on.
Jimmy Recard
RealGM
And1: 5,346

Post#1019 » by Jimmy Recard » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:21 am

fishercob wrote:I don't enjoy Buck, particularly his whining/moping when the Wiz are down. I'm already tense, and he makes it worse.

This is my issue with him too. I think Phil's great though.
pancakes3
General Manager
And1: 2,593

Post#1020 » by pancakes3 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:25 am

Severn Hoos wrote:I remembered this last night when Noah "tipped" in the rebound in the 4th quarter. On the replay, clear as day, it showed that the ball was about 3/4 in the cylinder when he touched it, an obvious offensive goaltending. And Kerr said something like "Noah may have touched that one in the cylinder. MAY have?!?! Um, look at the replay. It's OK to say what is painfully obvious, even if it means pointing out that the refs missed a call - they get the overwhelming majority right, at a staggering percentage. I couldn't tell if he was trying not to criticize the refs or really wasn't sure. If the latter, it would be disappointing...

About 1 or 2 replays later, I'm pretty sure he had backpedaled far enough to say "Noah got away with one there" but you're right. In the seconds immediately following he played it PC. Keep in mind that he might be a bit of a Chi-town homer though.
Bullets -> Wizards

Return to Washington Wizards