ImageImageImageImageImage

Wizards in the Media Thread

Moderators: nate33, montestewart, LyricalRico

fishercob
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Re: Wizards in the Media Thread 

Post#921 » by fishercob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:53 pm

YES! Completely agree on the stats, and it goes to my point about providing no insight. Lots of stupid, meaningless, and somewhat misleading stats.
"Some people have a way with words....some people....not have way."
— Steve Martin
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#922 » by Dat2U » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:05 pm

Nivek wrote:You're not alone fish. I've never gotten Buckhantz's appeal. I started kinda feeling okay about him a couple years ago, but that feeling wore off. His Nene pronunciation was bad. How about Anderson VaraJOHN ??? Not sure where the N comes from.

Plus, (though this one might be just me) his persistent use of pointless stats bugs me. I don't need to know that Player X just hit his 32nd 3pt shot of the season -- the 322nd of his career -- the 157th in a Spurs uniform. I was watching a game with my son, and Buck kept breaking out stats like the Wizards have the 2nd most offensive rebounds in the league or the 3rd most blocked shots. My son says, "If they're at the top of so many stat categories, why do they suck?" Answer: Because Buckhantz (and the broadcast team) are misleading the viewers with useless stats that don't mean a thing when it comes to winning games.

I miss Mel Proctor.

Here here guys! I miss Mel too. He had the perfect balance of homerism mixed in with real emotion and honest opinion.

I've never thought much of Buck or Phil. No real insight is ever offered. No real opinion is ever given. And Phil is about as lively as party at an old folks home. We should demand better.
go'stags
Sixth Man
And1: 29

Post#923 » by go'stags » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:54 pm

I think you guys need to watch more NBA league pass then. Most announcers brutally suck, and are even bigger homers than Buck and Phil, who really aren't homers at all.
LyricalRico wrote:
Speaking of giant penises, what's up with Bobby Simmons?.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 7,699

Post#924 » by montestewart » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:16 pm

go'stags wrote:I think you guys need to watch more NBA league pass then. Most announcers brutally suck, and are even bigger homers than Buck and Phil, who really aren't homers at all.

That's been my experience watching broadcasts in NYC, Philly, Florida, Chicago, and on the west coast. Some are better than others, and I don't really like Buckhantz and Chenier too much, but they are not the bottom of the barrel. There are a lot of lousy NBA announcing teams, and sometimes the national broadcasts are worst of all, if there are no Lakers, Heat, Knicks, or Bulls, it's like they barely know anything about the teams.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#925 » by fishercob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:34 pm

And Buck now says he was pronouncing it correctly.
— Steve Martin
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#926 » by montestewart » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:42 pm

fishercob wrote:And Buck now says he was pronouncing it correctly.

Just heard him saying that on the broadcast. Nene thinking, "I don't want to embarrass my broadcaster after only one game." Even the broadcast team needs his veteran moves.
Nivek
Head Coach
And1: 959

Post#927 » by Nivek » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:22 am

I've watched a lot of league pass through the years and I agree that announcers in a lot of towns also suck. My question: So? Just because other announcers suck doesn't mean we should give Buckhantz and Chenier a pass. Shoot, the Wizards radio guys are better.
"A lot of what we call talent is the desire to practice."
-- Malcolm Gladwell

Check out my blog about the Wizards, movies, writing, music, TV, sports, and whatever else comes to mind.
montestewart
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards

Post#928 » by montestewart » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:42 am

Nivek wrote:I've watched a lot of league pass through the years and I agree that announcers in a lot of towns also suck. My question: So? Just because other announcers suck doesn't mean we should give Buckhantz and Chenier a pass. Shoot, the Wizards radio guys are better.

DAGGER!
closg00
RealGM
And1: 3,497

Post#929 » by closg00 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:46 pm

NEW YORK -- Apparently, I wasn't the only one who rolled his eyes and scoffed at former Maryland coach Gary Williams' assertion that Kentucky could beat the Washington Wizards. Stan Van Gundy, who literally rolled his eyes when asked about it Wednesday night, called the notion "ridiculous," among other things.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/ken-b ... gundy-says

:( I tell-ya, we get no respect
dobrojim
RealGM
And1: 3,290

Post#930 » by dobrojim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:08 pm

bump - re Buck/Phil - I think they're ok but there are a couple things about
them that have been pointed out that I agree are not attractive. Every player
is a star (not). Stats of unique character ie X # of this, Y # of that, and Z number of
some other thing...so what? They are homers but not nearly of the level of
a lot of other team's announcers (from what I hear). We could do a lot worse.
But they could do better for instance by educating the viewers with the use
of advance metrics.

Not sure what to think of this but my daughter has been calling up Consor
on the radio postgame show for the last month or so. Consor has recently
really taken to her. You folks might hear something you yourself wrote/thought
that I repeated and she repeated it after hearing me say it. She doesn't get
on RealGM but gets it by osmosis from me.
A lot of what we call 'thought' is just mental activity

When you are accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression

Those who are convinced of absurdities, can be convinced to commit atrocities
dandridge 10
Veteran
And1: 537

Post#931 » by dandridge 10 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:43 pm

I actually like Buck and Phil. Sure, they are not perfect and they have some warts, but to me they are like family...you still love them. I also like they are homers.

The thing that bothers me most about the telecast is the panning to the crowd or the players on the bench, or putting up a display or replay when there is action on the court. That pisses me off to no end. I see that rarely happen on TNT or ESPN broadcast of games.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,962

Post#932 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:46 pm

jim, my 12-year son is like a sponge. It makes me really have to try and be more mindful of popping off with an opinion. He repeats my views on things. Flattering but scary when I think about it.

As far as Buck and Phil go, I like them. Sure, they're homers and they have a schtick, but I want that from announcers. I think they are about on par with most announcers.

Nivek, I listened to the radio a lot of games before I got midseason NBA League pass. Johnson and Consor really do give a lot more detailed info and offer up very pointed opinions. I don't always agree with Consor postgame, but he's a passionate, knowledge host. Not a feel-good guy at all. He was all over McGee's dunk. He couldn't stand McGee. OTOH, Glen Consor loved Nick Young.

One thing he didn't do was call it like it was on Flip and EG.
Bye bye Beal.
dobrojim
RealGM

Post#933 » by dobrojim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:49 pm

dandridge 10 wrote:I actually like Buck and Phil. Sure, they are not perfect and they have some warts, but to me they are like family...you still love them. I also like they are homers.

The thing that bothers me most about the telecast is the panning to the crowd or the players on the bench, or putting up a display or replay when there is action on the court. That pisses me off to no end. I see that rarely happen on TNT or ESPN broadcast of games.

+1

I HATE THAT.

on a somewhat different topic...why does Craig Sager have a job with TNT?
Does he have pix of someone with animals? Does he really think he's making
some kind of intelligent statement by wearing ridiculous clothes? SMH.

dobrojim
RealGM

Post#934 » by dobrojim » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:50 pm

Mel Proctor was the guy though...nothing really wrong with Dave Johnson
but Mel was really good, the Jon Miller of hoops playxplay.

fishercob
RealGM

Post#935 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 5, 2012 2:38 am

I really enjoy discovering new writers. I was giddy this time last year when I found Sebastian Pruiti over at NBA Playbook, before he got his Grantland gig. So imagine my excitement and joy when I found a new voice writing about my beloved Wizards!

Some fellow named Todd Kliman writes for Washingtonian Magazine and has had a very accomplished career writing about things other than basketball; he's currently the magazine's Dining Editor. Here's his full bio.

He's apparently a big Wiz fan and wrote a piece in the wake of the lottery. I loved it! It offers great perspective on what landing the third pick means and goes through potential options to the pick. I'm biased because I agree with his conclusion that we should draft Beal, but the best part of the article is this dig:

With MKG hawking on the perimeter, John Wall at the point (his defensive awareness grew noticeably last season, an area of his game that such NBA know-nothings as Tony Kornheiser, Steve Czaban, and Thom Loverro of SportsTalk 980 and others never remarked upon, content to blather on only about his lack of a jumper), Nene and Kevin Seraphin in the middle, and Jan Vesely (who may flower into a sort of latter-day Bobby Jones) trapping frenetically and knifing into the passing lanes, the Wizards would create hell for other teams. But they would be hellish to watch on the other end, too.

Shots fired! I love it! It's so nice to see the "opinion-makers" be completely taken to task for their ignorance. Most of the guys that talk about (and many who write about) the Wiz for the major local media outlets wouldn't recognize an NBA nuance if it sat on their face (well, I guess that's a sort of paradoxical use of "nuance," but whatever).

So check the article out. I'm going to email this guy and ask him to keep writing about the Wiz. We need some more intelligent folks doing so.
— Steve Martin
nate33
Forum Mod - Wizards
Forum Mod - Wizards
And1: 18,999

Post#936 » by nate33 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 2:57 am

Wow. His opinions are perfectly in sync with mine (and many others on this board).
Dat2U
RealGM
And1: 7,062

Post#937 » by Dat2U » Tue Jun 5, 2012 4:16 am

Good find fish. I think Kliman must read this board. His article is an excellent synopsis of what many here are thinking.
gesa2
Rookie
And1: 236

Post#938 » by gesa2 » Tue Jun 5, 2012 4:17 am

Thanks Fishercob!
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#939 » by WizStorm » Tue Jun 5, 2012 12:30 pm

Damn, I wish I would have found that article myself, perform a cut/paste and then pass off as my own. I would've make the hall of fame post thread in record time.
fishercob
RealGM

Post#940 » by fishercob » Tue Jun 5, 2012 12:56 pm

Dat2U wrote:Good find fish. I think Kliman must read this board. His article is an excellent synopsis of what many here are thinking.

Yeah, I read it again and some of the similarities to what is discuss here are striking. I don't mean that negatively at all, not accusing the man of plagiarism. It's nice to see intelligent analysis of the Wizards in print.

What if Kliman is one of our regulars? Is it Ji???????
— Steve Martin

Return to Washington Wizards