ImageImageImageImageImage

National Champs

greendale
RealGM
And1: 2

National Champs 

Post#1 » by greendale » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:01 am

(Preemptively) Screw all of you who think this doesn't deserve a separate thread.

My boys, the U of R Spiders, are National Champs (football, Division 1-AA).

http://www.wtvr.com/Global/story.asp?S= ... v=menu79_2

My first year at Richmond the football team was in the middle of the longest current losing streak in Division I. By my second year the team had improved enough to earn a bowl bid (Tangerine). In that game they beat the 14th (or so) ranked University of Ohio by a score of 49-42 in one of the greatest games you never saw. The QB, Buster O'Brien, completed 37 of 50 passes, most to All-American Walker Gillette. Later that year when O'Brien was trying out for the Redskins, Lombardi commenting on O'Brien's Bowl performance said that the Redskins couldn't complete 37 out of 50 playing catch on the sidelines (that may have been just a bit of hyperbole).

The glory days have returned!

Hey, JRo, when was the last time Indiana won a National Championship? I mean, without cheating.
I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born unto you; he is Christ the Lord.
long suffrin' boulez fan
General Manager
And1: 3,465

Re: National Champs 

Post#2 » by long suffrin' boulez fan » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:32 am

Greendale. A hearty congratulations to you. My wife's little sister goes to Appy State so I've become a fan of theirs and of 1-AA the past few years. Any team that can go to Boone and crush the Mountaineers is a pretty fine group. With most of the Washington sports teams in full suckage mode, it must feel great to be able to cheer on a winner.
In Rizzo we trust
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#3 » by Scabs304 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:57 pm

IT was nice to see them win. Was in Harrisonburg during the game and the Buffalo Wild Wings was hopping with excitement over the game.
I am Scabs.
greendale
RealGM
And1: 2

Post#4 » by greendale » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:01 pm

long suffrin' boulez fan wrote:Greendale. A hearty congratulations to you.

That's kind of you but I didn't have anything to do with the win. I didn't even watch the game. I'm really ambivalent about football. But a win is a win and, as you observed, there haven't been very many of them recently.
I bring you good news of great joy that will be for all people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born unto you; he is Christ the Lord.
lupin
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by lupin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:45 am

Didn't Maryland just win the Men's NCAA Soccer Championship? It might only be soccer, but at least it's something.
------------------------------
New RealGM :: New Coke :: is the suck.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#6 » by Ruzious » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:59 pm

lupin wrote:Didn't Maryland just win the Men's NCAA Soccer Championship? It might only be soccer, but at least it's something.

Yes, for the 2nd time in 4 years (yes, that's the last 4 years). I'm told that in some countries, soccer is a relatively significant sport.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams

Return to Washington Wizards